Delete a server side rule

Hello,

For Exchange Server 2003 SP1:  I have a user that receives an email every
Friday from an ouside address, and then that email gets automatically
forwarded to several email addresses in our organization.  Some of those
recipients are no longer in our company, so they get bouced back.

I have checked the users Outlook and there are no rules.  I am guessing that
the rule was created a few years ago on her old computer and is a server side
rule.

Is there a way to easily find and delete this server side rule?  Keep in
mind that I have already downloaded the "mdbvu32.exe" software, but I have no
idea what I am doing with it.  I need easy.

Thanks for any help.
0
DonHudock (2)

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 13:25:01 -0700, DonHudock
<DonHudock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>For Exchange Server 2003 SP1:  I have a user that receives an email every
>Friday from an ouside address, and then that email gets automatically
>forwarded to several email addresses in our organization.  Some of those
>recipients are no longer in our company, so they get bouced back.

Check delegates

>I have checked the users Outlook and there are no rules.  I am guessing that
>the rule was created a few years ago on her old computer and is a server side
>rule.

A server side rule should still show up in Outlook unless its corrupt
or perhaps the Office installation was upgraded from a previous
version which can cause the rule to not be visible as well.

>Is there a way to easily find and delete this server side rule?  Keep in
>mind that I have already downloaded the "mdbvu32.exe" software, but I have no
>idea what I am doing with it.  I need easy.

There are KB articles about mdbvue32 that can walk you through it.
or, if this is Outlook 2003, export the rules in Outlook first, then
start the user's Outlook with the /cleanrules switch.

>Thanks for any help.
0
adavid (8731)
7/28/2006 8:56:14 PM
You can try starting up Outlook with the /cleanrules switch and see if that
does it, but even if it was an old computer, Outlook should display all
rules that are running against that mailbox, both client-side and
server-side.

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

"DonHudock" <DonHudock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> For Exchange Server 2003 SP1:  I have a user that receives an email every
> Friday from an ouside address, and then that email gets automatically
> forwarded to several email addresses in our organization.  Some of those
> recipients are no longer in our company, so they get bouced back.
>
> I have checked the users Outlook and there are no rules.  I am guessing
> that
> the rule was created a few years ago on her old computer and is a server
> side
> rule.
>
> Is there a way to easily find and delete this server side rule?  Keep in
> mind that I have already downloaded the "mdbvu32.exe" software, but I have
> no
> idea what I am doing with it.  I need easy.
>
> Thanks for any help.

0
Ben
7/28/2006 9:01:43 PM
It is possible for a user to have phantom rules which will not be
visible in Outlook. I would try the cleanrules switch first as others
have suggested first, however if this does not correct the issue,
perform the steps in the following article:

XCLN: How to Use the Mdbvu32 Utility to Remove Inbox Rules
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320022/

James Chong
MCSE | M+, S+, MCTS, Security+
msexchangetips.blogspot.com

DonHudock wrote:
> Hello,
>
> For Exchange Server 2003 SP1:  I have a user that receives an email every
> Friday from an ouside address, and then that email gets automatically
> forwarded to several email addresses in our organization.  Some of those
> recipients are no longer in our company, so they get bouced back.
>
> I have checked the users Outlook and there are no rules.  I am guessing that
> the rule was created a few years ago on her old computer and is a server side
> rule.
>
> Is there a way to easily find and delete this server side rule?  Keep in
> mind that I have already downloaded the "mdbvu32.exe" software, but I have no
> idea what I am doing with it.  I need easy.
>
> Thanks for any help.

0
jamestechman (1266)
7/29/2006 3:34:57 AM
This client is using Outlook from Office XP.  The /cleanrules switch does not
work.  Is there anything else I can try similar to this?

"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:

> You can try starting up Outlook with the /cleanrules switch and see if that
> does it, but even if it was an old computer, Outlook should display all
> rules that are running against that mailbox, both client-side and
> server-side.
>
> --
> Ben Winzenz
> Exchange MVP
> MessageOne
> Read my blog!
> http://winzenz.blogspot.com
> http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed)
>

> "DonHudock" <DonHudock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > For Exchange Server 2003 SP1:  I have a user that receives an email every
> > Friday from an ouside address, and then that email gets automatically
> > forwarded to several email addresses in our organization.  Some of those
> > recipients are no longer in our company, so they get bouced back.
> >
> > I have checked the users Outlook and there are no rules.  I am guessing
> > that
> > the rule was created a few years ago on her old computer and is a server
> > side
> > rule.
> >
> > Is there a way to easily find and delete this server side rule?  Keep in
> > mind that I have already downloaded the "mdbvu32.exe" software, but I have
> > no
> > idea what I am doing with it.  I need easy.
> >
> > Thanks for any help.

0
DonHudock (2)
7/31/2006 8:29:02 PM
I've used the /cleanrules switch on XP, I'm sure...but you can try using
exmerge to remove  them...

--
Susan Conkey [MVP]

> This client is using Outlook from Office XP.  The /cleanrules switch does
not
> work.  Is there anything else I can try similar to this?
>

> "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:
>
> > You can try starting up Outlook with the /cleanrules switch and see if
that
> > does it, but even if it was an old computer, Outlook should display all
> > rules that are running against that mailbox, both client-side and
> > server-side.
> >
> > --
> > Ben Winzenz
> > Exchange MVP
> > MessageOne
> > Read my blog!
> > http://winzenz.blogspot.com
> > http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed)
> >

> > "DonHudock" <DonHudock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > For Exchange Server 2003 SP1:  I have a user that receives an email
every
> > > Friday from an ouside address, and then that email gets automatically
> > > forwarded to several email addresses in our organization.  Some of
those
> > > recipients are no longer in our company, so they get bouced back.
> > >
> > > I have checked the users Outlook and there are no rules.  I am
guessing
> > > that
> > > the rule was created a few years ago on her old computer and is a
server
> > > side
> > > rule.
> > >
> > > Is there a way to easily find and delete this server side rule?  Keep
in
> > > mind that I have already downloaded the "mdbvu32.exe" software, but I
have
> > > no
> > > idea what I am doing with it.  I need easy.
> > >
> > > Thanks for any help.

0
sconkey (3059)
7/31/2006 8:53:51 PM
If you want a simple solution, give him a new mailbox. Exmerge all
contents out and import them into a new MB. Remember to copy his mail
enabled attributes.

DonHudock wrote:
> Hello,
>
> For Exchange Server 2003 SP1:  I have a user that receives an email every
> Friday from an ouside address, and then that email gets automatically
> forwarded to several email addresses in our organization.  Some of those
> recipients are no longer in our company, so they get bouced back.
>
> I have checked the users Outlook and there are no rules.  I am guessing that
> the rule was created a few years ago on her old computer and is a server side
> rule.
>
> Is there a way to easily find and delete this server side rule?  Keep in
> mind that I have already downloaded the "mdbvu32.exe" software, but I have no
> idea what I am doing with it.  I need easy.
>
> Thanks for any help.

0
jamestechman (1266)
8/1/2006 2:00:07 AM
Try Outlok Spy as well.

http://www.dimastr.com/outspy/

DonHudock wrote:
> Hello,
>
> For Exchange Server 2003 SP1:  I have a user that receives an email every
> Friday from an ouside address, and then that email gets automatically
> forwarded to several email addresses in our organization.  Some of those
> recipients are no longer in our company, so they get bouced back.
>
> I have checked the users Outlook and there are no rules.  I am guessing that
> the rule was created a few years ago on her old computer and is a server side
> rule.
>
> Is there a way to easily find and delete this server side rule?  Keep in
> mind that I have already downloaded the "mdbvu32.exe" software, but I have no
> idea what I am doing with it.  I need easy.
>
> Thanks for any help.

0
jamestechman (1266)

Can I restore emails deleted from POP3 after I had setup outlook?
Can I restore emails deleted from POP3 after I had setup outlook? After setup I realized there is an option to retain new mail on the server, but all past emails have been deleted. ...

Outlook 2003 problem with Cached Exchange Server Mode
Outlook 2003/Conjunction with Exchange 2003 has something called Cached Exchange Mode. If user uncheck this box then the local copy of the mailbox will not be created. I have lots of Shared mailboxes in our call center and users do create Cached copy of these mailboxes by accident. I want to remove this behavior so users can not create Cached Exchange Mode. We use separate profile for every mailboxes. How can I remove this default out of the box behavior check box so users, when creating profiles does not have to uncheck or check the box and no cached Exchange Mode/local copy will be cr...

email set-up: what do i put in incoming & outgoing server fields?
Im trying to set-up my outlook to recieve my emails. I would like to know what to enter in the fields(incoming server and outgoing server) if im using yahoo and or msn as my isp. Also, what type of isp's are these pop or imap? For an overview of the account settings for those ISPs see; http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/accountsettings.htm -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.msoutlook.info/ Real World Questions, Real World Answers ----- ...

Front-end server and Exch. 5.5
We're in the process of upgrading our Exchange infrastructure from Exchange 5.5 to Exch. 2003. I've been able to get an Exchange 2003 server setup as a front-end server; users can log on to two of my 2003 servers with no problems. However, I do have an Exchange 5.5 server with some mailboxes and those users can't access their mailboxes by using the Exchange 2003 front-end server. They get the following error message: HTTP/1.1 503 Service Unavailable. I've looked at KB article 823159 and I've carefully followed, and confirmed, those steps with no help. Is this error...

Delete a class.
Hi, I have a simple question here... how can I remove a class in the Visual C++ workspace? I don't seem to be able to just hitting the delete key on the keyboard... Thanks. Leo > I have a simple question here... how can I remove a class in the Visual > C++ workspace? I don't seem to be able to just hitting the delete key on > the keyboard... Thanks. VC++ will read the Header/Source files to prorduce the Class tab list... So do... 1) delete the code can make the entry in the list in your cause delete the whole class in the header and it is gone from the class lis...

Home Server Attribute: msExchHomeServerName
This is very odd, I have migrated over a 1000 users to Exchange 2003 but still have a few hundred to go on my legacy Exchange 5.5 systems. Everything works well, but there is something wrong that I can't figure out. When I create a new user account & mailbox via Active Directory Users & Computers (mailbox on the Exchange 2003 system, NT account in AD), the new AD object gets replicated to the Directory Service on the Exchange 5.5 systems..however, the Home Server attribute is set to None and at that point, none of my Exchange 5.5 users can email them. The fix is simple, ...

How do I delete a selection w/o having to confirm my deletion?
I keep getting a "Delete Yes/No" prompt on my task bar after highlighting text and then hitting the delete button. I then have to hit the Y key to tell it yes, I do want this deleted. It's an irritating extra step. See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/UnableToDeleteText.htm -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "ChiTown Reenie" <ChiTown Reenie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8551E9A4-251E-4E65-A646-B8389DFB956F@microsoft.com... >I keep getting a "Del...

setting up Vista-microsoft mail-getting POP3 server error message
What am I doing wrong? Trying to set up my MSN-Vista-Microsoft e-mail. Get an error message about the POP3 server. I give my incoming and outgoing mail server as POP3 and service provider TWC or Time Warner Cable and the error message comes up. What should I do? Can you help me? On Tue, 7 Aug 2007 19:27:09 -0700, "asilocreo" <asilocreo@microsoft.com> wrote: >What am I doing wrong? >Trying to set up my MSN-Vista-Microsoft e-mail. Get an error message about >the POP3 server. I give my incoming and outgoing mail server as POP3 and >service provider TWC or Ti...

Menu wont delete!
My application uses a CMDIFrameWnd to display documents. The documents are generated in a CMDIChildWnd object. The problem is the the MDI child (i think) is creating an extra menu on top which I dont need. I tried deleting the menu inside the OnCreate method, but it does not get rid of the menu. Here is how my application looks right now with two menus at the top. http://www.limefocus.net/screenshot4.jpg Here is a snippet of code that I used to delete the top menu: int CChildFrame::OnCreate(LPCREATESTRUCT lpCreateStruct) { this->GetMenu()->DestroyMenu(); this->SetMenu(NUL...

Project Server 2007
I have a clean install of PS2007 - SP2 on WSS in a small farm environment - DB server on another box. My installation "mostly" works, however, I am receiving an "unknown error" message when I try to edit the RBS. The item gets checked out and the "unknown error" message appears on the top of the page with only the Cancel button available. I've checked the logs and don't see anything obvious, the event logs on both machines aren't showing anything and I'm fairly stumped. Any insight, ideas, things to try would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in adv...

Allowing Vendor to Place SQL Server Instance w/o giving customer a
We have a vertical market vendor who we bought a program requesting to place a separate SQL Server instance on our server without giving us admin rights. I understand that they want to protect their schema and want to keep us from writing to the DB, but I feel very uncomfortable with this. What would you do? Thanks. Eds Ask, what if the their queries will cause perfromance degradation and it will affect your production.... what would you do? At our company we dictate to vendor on what server to set up their program and they given very limited login to operate only with t...

Deleting Rows With Criteria
Hi there, I have data in columns A to BS [numeric and words] I want to delete all rows that do not contain the word Stoke from column K. The word Stoke may be on it's own or in a sentence [of no more than 5 words]. Any suggestions, Thanks, Bob I'd suggest using Data, Filter, Advanced Filter to create a new list of just the stoke rows. In the Criteria box point to a range off somewhere (that you create) that has the same header label as column K and in the cell below this: *stoke* -- Jim Rech Excel MVP "Bob Beard" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wro...

Rule to filter entire domain when some members of the domain are in your contacts
I am having a problem filtering mail from an entire domain. I've tried "where senders address contains" and also put @domain.com as described here: http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/rules.htm The issue seems to be that if the sender is in my contacts and it recognizes the name it doesn't trigger the filter. Anyone have any work arounds to this? ...

Mail forwarding to another server
Hi, Is there any way to forward all mails for a particular user from exchange server to another mail server. Any help would be great. Thanks and regards, Shammy. Hi Create a contact with the external address of the user then on the users account in Active Directory User & Computers | Exchange General | Delivery Options | Forward to: click modify and point to your newly created contact. Regards -- Ben Hoffman MVP Exchange http://www.exchangeis.com "SHAMMY" <SHAMMY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:170FE8CA-1780-484F-B9C3-377669F5732C@microsoft.com... ...

Converting to Exchange 2007 -Best Way to Preserve Existing Outlook Rules?
We have Outlook 2003 users who currently have POP3 accounts to a third-party e-mail provider. Some of our users have hundreds of rules in Outlook. We are about to go live with our Exchange 2007 system. What is the best way to preserve each user's rules when they are converted to an Exchange account? I know the rules can be exported but we found that when they are imported they default to client-side only rules. We want server rules to apply and client-side rules to be available. We found that it takes several clicks on each rule to get it to be a server-side rule. Is there an easier w...

What does "Your Microsoft Exchange Server is Unavailable" mean?
Cannot use Outlook 2003, I get an error message as above with 3 choices. Retry, Work Offline or cancel. If i select work Offline, I get another message that says "unable to open your default e-mail folders. Your profile is not configured. The choices are "okay." If I click okay, the program closes. I have uninstalled and installed again 3 time. Still does the same thing. How do I fix this? Have never used Outlook before - cannot open it. Juanita wrote: > Cannot use Outlook 2003, I get an error message as above with 3 > choices. Retry, Work Offline or cancel. If i se...

Amazing 40% rule
Hello All, I have recently come across a statement called " The Amazing 40% rule" in excel, tried to search in google, but got no information on this yet... Can anyone help me to understand this? May be a link to the site where its explained in detail? Thanks Regards Sri "Sri" <Sri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:310233F5-AFFE-41C7-AFB9-0098B4DA0B38@microsoft.com... > Hello All, > > I have recently come across a statement called " The Amazing 40% rule" in > excel, tried to search in google, but got no information on this...

Mail Server for Win XP
Is it possible to run an Exchange mail server on a winXP system? I have come to the conclusion that this won't work. If it isn"t possible, couold someone let me know what mail server software is out there that will run on a WinXP system. Thanks HL HL649 wrote: > Is it possible to run an Exchange mail server on a winXP system? I > have come to the conclusion that this won't work. If it isn"t > possible, couold someone let me know what mail server software is out > there that will run on a WinXP system. > > Thanks > HL No - Exchange must run on...

Establishing a Rule to Forward . . .
I am currently on Outlook 2003 and I have established a rule to forward certain messages to another individual's mailbox. The problem, I would like to retain a copy of the forwarded message in my In-Box, or another folder. Is this possible, and if so, what steps should I use to achieve same. Thank you in advance for any ideas. they should be kept by default - if not, see tools, options, email options, advanced - save forwarded messages should be checked. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www....

error when deleting mailbox in exchange 55
Hi, i am having problems when trying to delete a mailbox in my exch 55. i receive the error c1040af4. does anybody know how to solve it? ...

Disaster Recovery
Hi, I experienced a hardware failure on my vmware server which was running a SQL Server 2005 vm. I had an "older" copy of this machine with the same exact settings. I was able to bring it up but now I can't get it to talk to my DPM 2007 server which has all the SQL protected data. I uninstalled the agent manually and reinstalled it with the -dpmServerName option... still no luck. Any ideas? If I understand it correctly: 1. An SQL 2005 server which is hosted on a VM server was being protected by DPM 2007. 2. Due to VM server failure, you have brought the S...

Help in my VB Code .. to Delete
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0089_01C34629.B378D5B0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable hi,=20 I have been trying to solve this problem since morning, and haven't = really come up with a solution. it is frustrating. please help. =20 i have a datagrid and got a delete column =20 <asp:datagrid id=3D"dgdocument" runat=3D"server" = AutoGenerateColumns=3D"False" EnableViewState=3D"True" = OnDeleteCommand=3D"DeleteCommand"> <Columns&...

Set of Dialogs -Delete Any Dialog at Runtime-Organize Pos
Hai I Have set of Dialogs created a Runtime and those are placed sequentially in a postion by using SetWindowPos and now i want to delete a Dialog using close button associated with that Dialog which is placed at a Position the Dialog Order shoulnd rearrange automatically and is there any way to do that Thanks and Regards Mike SetWindowPos. Uusually if you have a set of dialogs there is an application window of some sort associated with the application. What I would do is have the dialog's close handler post a message indicating the dialog had closed, then...

Inbox Rules aren't running when messages are received
Hi Gang, My Outlook 2003 rules aren't running automatically. I have four of them and when I do run them (manually) on my Junk Mail folder they delete about 64/100 e-mails safely. Naturally, I would like my rules to run on every new e-mail as it comes in or at the very least when I first open the junk mail folder. I have it set to check messages after they arrive. Is there some setting that makes it check these messages as or when they arrive? Thanks, Christian Blackburn How do you know the rules aren't running? I suspect the real problem is the way that Outlook processes emai...

Missing "start application" rule
I have Outlook 2000. When I try to create a new rule, I don't have the "start application" rule option in the list of actions. How do I get it there? Thanks. -- Robert J. Grimes Architect of Computer Systems I found it buried in the rules wizard, but now how do I pass a argument? "Robert J. Grimes" <Robert.Grimes@85021.com> wrote in message news:uy27Om32DHA.2224@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > I have Outlook 2000. When I try to create a new rule, I don't have the > "start application" rule option in the list of actions. How do I get it > the...