Customize the GAL

We are running Windows 2003 R2 and Exchange 2003 SP2. Our organization
consists of Staff, Faculty, and Students.

What I want to accomplish is to create a GAL that contains Staff and Faculty
only, no students. Further, I want to provide access to the GAL only to Staff
and Faculty (which are members of the GAL), and restrict access to anyone
else.

Would someone please point me in the direction of information regarding how
to accomplish this. Thanks in advance.
--
Richard Perry
Systems Administrator/Programmer

This should help:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822940/en-us

Nue
"Richard Perry" <RichardPerry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We are running Windows 2003 R2 and Exchange 2003 SP2. Our organization
> consists of Staff, Faculty, and Students.
>
> What I want to accomplish is to create a GAL that contains Staff and
> Faculty
> only, no students. Further, I want to provide access to the GAL only to
> Staff
> and Faculty (which are members of the GAL), and restrict access to anyone
> else.
>
> Would someone please point me in the direction of information regarding
> how
> to accomplish this. Thanks in advance.
> --
> Richard Perry
> Systems Administrator/Programmer
> Shadow Mountain Ministries
> San Diego Christian College
> Southern California Seminary
> Christian Unified Schools of San Diego

0
imaneophyte (3004)
6/2/2006 12:23:37 AM
Thanks! This is a great article, but I don't think this will work for me. The
reason is as follows:

We are an organization of 4 entities. I have create 6 stores, 1 each for
staff per entity and 1 each for students per entity. We are migrating from
Groupwise in a cut-over fashion, but only 1 entity at a time. Currently, all
users exist in AD and therefor the GAL.

The problem is that as an entity is migrated to Exchange, they see the GAL.
If they choose a user from the GAL and email them, the email stays on
Exchange and is not transferred to Groupwise. Therefore, the recipient does
not see the email.

What I would like to accomplish is to create a customized GAL that contains
only staff from 2 of the 4 entities (the 2 that have been migrated). I assume
that this is best done by populating the GAL based on mail store since
recipient policies are also driven by the store.

Unless someone has a better suggestion of how to perform what I am trying to
accomplish, I would like to locate specific instructions on how to do this.

In addition, any good articles on building LDAP queries would likely be a
good resource from me as I have little practicle experience in doing these
types of functions.
--

"Nuevo" wrote:

> This should help:

> Nue
> "Richard Perry" <RichardPerry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > We are running Windows 2003 R2 and Exchange 2003 SP2. Our organization
> > consists of Staff, Faculty, and Students.
> >
> > What I want to accomplish is to create a GAL that contains Staff and
> > Faculty
> > only, no students. Further, I want to provide access to the GAL only to
> > Staff
> > and Faculty (which are members of the GAL), and restrict access to anyone
> > else.
> >
> > Would someone please point me in the direction of information regarding
> > how
> > to accomplish this. Thanks in advance.
> > --
> > Richard Perry
> > Systems Administrator/Programmer
> > Shadow Mountain Ministries
> > San Diego Christian College
> > Southern California Seminary
> > Christian Unified Schools of San Diego

Outlook Client makes Settings & Customization menus disappear
Hi all, I've noticed that now I've installed the Outlook Client for MS CRM 3.0, my Settings & Customization menus disappear in the web client. I realise that they shouldn' t be in the Outlook Client (no problem) and figure it's due to a conflict between the two... I've tried deleting my temporary Internet files which works, but was wondering if anyone had found a better (one off) solution that doesn't need this sort of repeated intervention. There are 3 of us who have admin access rights that disappear in this way, so while it's not a huge problem for us (...

New users not showing up in GAL
We have a single site, single server, Exchange 2003 implementation. Until yesterday we only had one information store inside our single storage group, which contains accounts for faculty and staff. Since we needed to create accounts for students we decided to create a new 'students' store, and were able to create accounts that appear to function just fine. However, users in the 'faculty/staff' store can not see the users from the 'students' store in the GAL. They can send email messages to these accounts, they just don't show up. Any ideas how to make the ...

Customizing Forms Wizard
It is possible to control or customize details of the way the wizards creates objects? For instance, we have internal naming standards for controls and I would like the wizard to name each control according to our standard. I know I can use a form template for the forms created without wizards, but what about controlling the creation of the ones done via wizards too? Thanks in advance, See if this helps: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/151218/EN-US/ Román Valoria wrote: >It is possible to control or customize details of the way the wizards creates >objects? > >For ...

Customers & Suppliers Trial Balance in Debits & Credits Format
Hi, Do anyone have a method to bring the Customers & Suppliers Trial balance in debits and Credits format just like how the G/L Trial balance works. Most of the clients are repeatedly asking for this requirement. The report should have Customer ID, Docnumber, Doc Date, payments, receipts, returns, credits accordingly falling into the debit/credit buckets with running balance totals. If the report can be picked up with any date range also, it'd be most beneficial. Thanks Janakiram M.P. ...

Custom Dictionary
I want to add Hi-Build (with a non-breaking hyphen) to a custom dictionary in Word 2007 (UK spelling). The spell checker will neither add it to my dictionary nor ignore it. I have tried editing the dictionary directly and I can get as far as Hi-Buil but then the Add button is greyed out. Can anyone help please? Does the spell check mark this as incorrect? When I checked (with my personal dictionaries switched off) this was not marked as a spelling error.Both hi and build appear to be in the default dictionary. If you want Hi-Build to be always spelled with a non-br...

Importing customer class blanks out tax schedule
Hi - I used Integration Manager to update (only) the customer class. This caused those particular customer's to have their tax schedule ID blanked out. I set all fields other than the customer class to "Use Default". I was expecting no change to fields other than the customer class. Is this wrong? Ginny IM simulates a person keying in data. When you key data into the Customer Class field, by default, it copies data from the class into other fields (like tax schedule). You may have also changed some of the account numbers associated with the customer. -- Richard L...

Custom Receipt #3
I want the customer receipt to have the Customers name instead of the Customers account number (when a customer is attached to the transaction). I want to remove the line that says "You Saved..." when there is a discount or coupon applied. How can I do this? Haik, In the Manager goto Database - Registers - Receipt Formats. click properties for the receipt format that you use. Next click on properties for Sales. On the left you can turn on and off different features of the sales receipt. If you turn on Customer Address it gives you the full customer name and address. There ...

Unable to edit custom dictionary within Word 2008
The first time I tried to edit my custom dictionary (I had accidentally entered a misspelled word) in Word 2008, the Edit button was available, but I was unable to click in and actually edit the list of words that came up. I temporarily gave up and resumed my spellcheck to finish the document. Then I tried again to edit the custom dictionary. Now the Edit button is dimmed, and the only way I can edit the custom dictionary is through the finder (by opening the file in a text editor). No matter which document I open or how many times I relaunch Word, this problem persists. Any suggestions? On...

GAL with mMobile Users
Hi All My main office running EX 5.5(NT 4.0) and Windows 2000 domain (PDC). We got 3 Intersate offices but at the moment i just install mailenabel mail server for those 3 office and running seperatly. We got lots of mobile users as well I just want to Share and update GAL with all the Interstate offices and mobile users If someone recommend proper way or how to start much appriciate ...

Customize outlook today doesn't work anymore
When I am in Outlook2000 "Outlook Today" screen, I used to be able to press "Customize outlook today" and organize tasks in due date descending order. I can no longer activate "Customize outlook today" button anymore. Can someone help me? Thanks, Bryant Harris ...

GP Analysis Cube customization
Hi, I would like to rename some of the measures in the GL cube using BI Dev Studio. - Is this supported? - Would the SSIS package continue to work? - Will the future upgrades work? Thank you. This can be done with minimal impact: Open BIDS. Connect to the server and Analysis Services database. In the solution explorer on the right-hand side of the window that appears, select the Financials cube. On the left-hand side of the window, you'll now see a list of the measure groups that exist in the Financials cube. Select the one containing the measures you wis...

Checkbox customization question
How can I implement checkbox in MSCRM ? I have a contacts with multiple professions. From a list of available professions as checkboxes, the user should be able to check all the applicable professions. Any ideas. Try Powertrak Core from www.axonom.com "Arch" <discussion11@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:b87a74db.0405210819.3232b5d8@posting.google.com... > How can I implement checkbox in MSCRM ? I have a contacts with > multiple professions. From a list of available professions as > checkboxes, the user should be able to check all the applicable > professions. Any...

New entity and relaitonships customization
Hi all: I am working on a CRM v4 system that needs to track government funding programs for doctors at health clinics. The system is set up so that Accounts map to Clinics, and Contacts map to Doctors. The essential process is: A funding object is created, is set to run for a certain number of payments, is set with a start date, periodicity of payments (i.e. weekly, monthly, etc.), and end date, and then is assigned to a doctor at a clinic. If the doctor leaves the clinic, the funding object transfers to the clinic and is suspended until the clinic hires a new doctor and then the fund...

Customer accounts #2
Help! My customers are all employees - if they leave their job, would someone please tell me how to handle the account. I don't see any way to inactivate the account or hide it so it cannot be used. Must I delete it? Please let me know! Donna Hi Donna - I would never recommend deleting an account (if you do all history goes into this black hole type area). If an employee leaves, I would immediately change the 'Customer is an employee' flag and then devise a scheme for identifying 'inactive' customers. Here is what we do: 1) Use the auto generated acct numbers ...

Users not showing in GAL
Hi i know this topic as been discussed but i cant seem to find the posting In Exchange 2003 when i add a new user the user i see the user in the 'All Users' section of the address book but the user does not show in the Global Address Book. The same goes for a Universal Distuibution List I have Rebuilt and Updated the Recipent Update Service and no luck. Please help..... Also... When i do a preview of the Default Address Book from the Exchange System Manager all users are displayed. Have you got the tick in the "Hide from exchange address lists" under the Exchange Advance...

Brain Teazer Synchronising Outlook with custom app
Hi All I have written a custom db in MS Access that keeps track of all the appointments etc in the office. How would i proceed to get outlook to synch with the db ? Any ideas ? Your help will be appreciated. Regards Charl Du Toit ...

Custom reports, where are the .rdl's found?
I've created a dozen or so custom SRS reports and imported them via the Reportserver. Now, I'll be moving to a new report server and am unable to "extract" my .rdl files (yes, I know, stupid that I didn't keep the originals). Are these held somewhere in the report server or on the web server? I was able to find where the vanilla ones are saved to my custom ones aren't there. I don't want to rewrite them unless absolutely necessary. More Actions did not work either. Thx. Not sure why the 'More Actions/Download report' doesn't work, but the ne...

CRM 1.2: Custom Field with hyphen in name averts default value settings
unfortunately we have customized a lookup-field in crm whose name includes a hyphen months ago. Now this seems to be the reason why it is not possible to change the default value of this lookup. Any experiences with special characters in field names? What can I do now? Is there another reason for my problem with the default values? Any hotfixes? It's a pitty that CRM didn't prohibit the usage of the hyphen on creation of the field, but now months later this error is hard to correct! Had a similar problem with Crystal Reports as well, where a special character in the fieldname averts...

Importing customization problem
Hi, Whenever I try to import any customization.Xml to one our servers it gives me the following error message: Either the file could not be uploaded, or this is not a valid Customization file. I am sure there is nothing wrong with the files since I have uploaded them to other servers and they worked fine. Does anybody know what’s wrong? Hi Reza, Check if the customization file you are trying to import is from the server that has the same rollup installed. this error is thrown when you try to import a customization file from rollup 2 to one that does not have this rollup installed. ...

Customize Outlook Today #20
When I click on Customize Outlook Today nothing happens. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Office and it still doesn't work. I have also installed all current updates. Any suggestions??? "Jessica" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:01f701c3ad3a$100705f0$a301280a@phx.gbl: > When I click on Customize Outlook Today nothing happens. > I have uninstalled and reinstalled Office and it still > doesn't work. I have also installed all current > updates. Any suggestions??? > OL2000: You Cannot Customize Outlook Today After You Ins...

custom button to launch list of transactions to be voided
so everyone knows you can go to Recall > Void a transaction. can we create a custom button on the right side to go directly to the Void a Transaction command without having to use the recall button? You can use vb or vb.net. see the customization guide. Good luck! -- -Jerry JR Data Inc. "Andy Miller - Teknor, Inc." wrote: > so everyone knows you can go to Recall > Void a transaction. > > can we create a custom button on the right side to go directly to the Void a > Transaction command without having to use the recall button? A macro is quicker to do but le...

Why does my newsletter lose its custom format when I email it out.
I want to send out an email to a list. I have composed it in MS Word, customized the formatting for boldface, spacing, font size, centered in some places with a weblink. Here's my problem: each time I copy the newsletter from MS Word to the COMPOSE window in my email, I lose all the formatting and it goes out looking plain and uninteresting. I don't even know if I have Publisher (I'm new at making newsletters), but suppose I don't. Can't I just make it work with the Microsoft package I'm already using? Try selecting HTML format in Outlook. -- Mary Sauer M...

custom reports
I'm hoping someone can help me with reports. i have a multi-store operation and need to be able to run a report on headquarters that will break-down what each store has on hand. i can run them individually, but that wastes a lot of time, as well as paper. is there a way to run o/h, sales, committed, o/o in a report showing each stores information? if not, does anyone have a crystal report with this they would be willing to email me? thanks Jim, The first report you want is the Item Snapshot Quantity List. Just drag the ILC to the leftmost column. The second will be a modif...

Custom Form Problem
I am not an expert at all, but have created a custom Task form using OL 2007 (we use exchange 2003 too). I have created a form that basically has a tab called "review sheet". We assign tasks around our small office, and everyone signs off on a particular line on the review sheet as they complete steps. I created the form, saved it to the Organizational Forms Library. Then, I went around to everyone's computer, and in the Forms Manager, copied it from the Org Library to everyone's task folder under their personal mail box. To create a new task, highlight our tasks folder, t...

Creating a Custom Outlook Rule
I have an MS Access application that uses Outlook Automation to start an email thread. The subject line is somthing like: "TID(427) This is my Subject blah blah ..." I am trying to set Outlook up so that whenever the email response has "TID(###)" it automatically copies that email to a it's matching windows subdirectory. Like ... \\MyServer\MyMailShare\TID(427) This is my Subject blah blah ... So, from Outlook, the custom rule would need to first recgnize that "TID(" is an incoming response to the application, then copy that email to its assoc...