Curious Mail Loop (and brain teaser)

I just experienced an enigmatic mail looping issue, anybody have any ideas
to keep this from happening again?

Here is the Scenario...

We have a user whom works for my organization and another government agency,
both organizations use Exchange 2000 but there is no interoperability
between our systems other than standard SMTP email through the internet, not
same AD root, forest or even remotely similar namespace. We are able to
induce a loop under the following conditions.:

1. User has an exchange mailbox at both Organization A & Organization B
2. User creates an "Out of the Office" in his Outlook at Organizaton A that
includes a rule to forward all email to his account at Organization B.
(There is only one forward here and no loop should be created.)

3. User at organization A logs into his outlook at Organization A but does
NOT turn off his "Out of the Office".
4. User at organization A sends a calendar appointment to users at both
Organization A and B (including himself at Org B).
5. User accepts/acknowledges the meeting request in his Outlook at
Organization B by replying to himself at OrgA.
6. Since these are different email systems, the meeting request is not
automatically added to the calendar at Org B, instead it shows up as an
email that looks like this:

When: Tuesday, September 07, 2004 4:30 PM-5:00 PM (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time
(US & Canada).
Where: office and phone

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

7. The Reply to the meeting request then hits his OOTO rule at Org A and is
automatically forwarded to his Outlook at OrgB.

This is where it gets weird...

8. This message then gets bounced back to Org A by outlook where the OOTO
rule forwards back to Org B, and so on, and so on. This happens despite the
fact that there are NO rules at Org 2 to send his email to Org 1 (which
would be the obvious reason for a loop).

9. Finally, there are NO messages in the users inbox at Organization B but
tons of NDRs at his mailbox in Organization A.

The obvious solution is to turn off the mail forwarding rule at Org B but
this is a standard procedure for someone working at two organizations, it
allows them to use one mailbox.

I have double checked for any rules on the mailbox at Org B including
alternate recipients, etc but there are none. What am I missing here?
Permissions on Free Busy info?

Thanks,
Ice Man

The easiest thing for anyone to tell you is to simply disable automatic
replies ot the internet.  But if I were to take a shot at this strange
situation, I would probably guess that the user is using the same Outlook
profile to access both locations.
--

regards,
Michael Abbaticchio

"Ice Man" <pbeckford-news8151@mailblocks.com> wrote in message
> I just experienced an enigmatic mail looping issue, anybody have any ideas
> to keep this from happening again?
>
> Here is the Scenario...
>
> We have a user whom works for my organization and another government
agency,
> both organizations use Exchange 2000 but there is no interoperability
> between our systems other than standard SMTP email through the internet,
not
> same AD root, forest or even remotely similar namespace. We are able to
> induce a loop under the following conditions.:
>
> 1. User has an exchange mailbox at both Organization A & Organization B
> 2. User creates an "Out of the Office" in his Outlook at Organizaton A
that
> includes a rule to forward all email to his account at Organization B.
> (There is only one forward here and no loop should be created.)
>
> 3. User at organization A logs into his outlook at Organization A but does
> NOT turn off his "Out of the Office".
> 4. User at organization A sends a calendar appointment to users at both
> Organization A and B (including himself at Org B).
> 5. User accepts/acknowledges the meeting request in his Outlook at
> Organization B by replying to himself at OrgA.
> 6. Since these are different email systems, the meeting request is not
> automatically added to the calendar at Org B, instead it shows up as an
> email that looks like this:
>
> When: Tuesday, September 07, 2004 4:30 PM-5:00 PM (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time
> (US & Canada).
> Where: office and phone
>
> *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
>
> 7. The Reply to the meeting request then hits his OOTO rule at Org A and
is
> automatically forwarded to his Outlook at OrgB.
>
> This is where it gets weird...
>
> 8. This message then gets bounced back to Org A by outlook where the OOTO
> rule forwards back to Org B, and so on, and so on. This happens despite
the
> fact that there are NO rules at Org 2 to send his email to Org 1 (which
> would be the obvious reason for a loop).
>
> 9. Finally, there are NO messages in the users inbox at Organization B but
> tons of NDRs at his mailbox in Organization A.
>
> The obvious solution is to turn off the mail forwarding rule at Org B but
> this is a standard procedure for someone working at two organizations, it
> allows them to use one mailbox.
>
> I have double checked for any rules on the mailbox at Org B including
> alternate recipients, etc but there are none. What am I missing here?
> Permissions on Free Busy info?
>
> Thanks,
> Ice Man

0
nospam6185 (535)

Publisher 2002 Mail Merge Problems
Hi! I posted an inquiry on 2/21/04 regarding problems I'm having doing a mail merge in Publisher 2002 (using W98SE). I read a post that said I may need to intall MDAC file from MS...I did so and restarted my PC, but Publisher still freezes after opening the source file (in this case an Access database)and doesn't allow me to go to the next step. Any other advise? I may end up just printing labels and affixing them to the postcards I'm trying to mail merge information into...your help is appreciated! Use a CSV (Comma Separated Value) file. That will work. In Excel you g...

Test Mail...Please Ignore #6
Testing NNTP Client, Please ignore message Thanks ...

My New E-Mail Address
Hi This Is Richard Giving Everybody My New E-mail Address . Well, since you posted to a public newsgroup, where unscrupulous harvesters gather e-mail addresses and sell them to spammers, I suspect you're soon going to be getting a new address. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no private e-mails, please) "Richard G. Ramirez" <****> wrote in message news:O%23ozFmTiIHA.2084@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Hi This Is Richard Giving Everybody My New E-mail Address . ...

People not receiving my mail
I send mail and the messages are in my sent folder; however, no one recevies the mail. I checked with the service provider and they say everything looks fine. I have removed and added the email several times. I used my laptop and the email works fine. What shall I do? Reinstall Outlook on my desktop? Does your ISP have a webmail feature that you can test? Log into it and send mail from there, do your recipients get it then? If not, the issue is at their end. Have they checked their junk mail folder? "Rebecca" <Rebecca@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messag...

Mail Merge Impact on Performance
We are planning to have about 200 people utilize the mail merge feature in CRM to send out egreeting cards (to about 250-400 contacts each) this season over a 2 week period. Will mail merge and sending out "bulk" emails affect network, Exchange, and CRM performance signficantly? Will we need to stagger usage? Anyone w/ experience with this scenario, please advise. Thanks. Sending out bulk email from CRM is staggered because email is sent asynchronously from the application. In terms of hitting the application itself when generating, it is just like having 200 people access you...

WMP 11 will not play wmv files attached in e-mails
I cannot play any video files that are attachments within e-mails. For a while I was getting an error code that the codec could not be found. Now it doesn't even get that far... WMP opens and hangs "connecting to media." It also does the same thing now when opening any wmv files that are in links? I don't recall having any of these problems with previous versions??? hhheeeeeellllllppppppp!!!! WMP having problems with attached video files is pretty common. It can usually be worked around by saving the attachment to a separate file first and opening that file...

Mail not delivered
Hi, I've got the following problem. I client of ours doesn't recieve any mail from us anymore. They recently changed ISP and therefore their IP adres has changed. Our exchange server is also the DNS server, but when I look in the DNS table, I only see internal network ipadresses. We use a W2K sp3 server with Exchange5.5 SP4. Is it enough to clear the cache on the DNS server and update the server data files by selecting the option after right clicking the DNS server? Kind regards, Michiel ...

Exporting e-mail to a data file
I've tried a couple of varieties (Access, CSV) with similar results. Neither option includes the "Received" field. Why is that? How do I include the "Received" field in the exported file? Thank you, Bill Allen If you use Access to set up a linked table connected to your mail = folder, you will see the Received date among the available properties. = Third-party export tools are also available; see = http://www.outlookcode.com/d/customimport.htm#tools --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/olco...

difficulty opening e-mail attachments
I am unable to open attachments sent to me in my e-mail. Outlook Express indicates the attachments are "unsafe"and prevents me from opening them. Many of these attachments are sent to me by friends and I am sure there are no viruses associated with them. I have been unable to find out how to change any of the security settings within O.E. Does anyone out there have any advice? Try this site for information on removing the block: http://www.omegageek.com/OESecurity.htm This is a group to support Outlook from the Office group of programs. Outlook Express is a part of Int...

Compacting Mail
I understand the when and why. What I need to know is, will my mail be deleted out of my various folders? When I was useing Outlook Express, when the mail was compacted, it was also taken out of the Inbox and other folders, and I had to go find and restore it. No, it should not. It should not have happened in OE either, but a combination of interfering with the compaction process, bloated folders, and the fragile dbx file system all contributed to the possibility of corruption when compaction in OE. Windows Mail stores all messages as separate eml files, unlike OE. That sai...

How to forbid external mails
For some users, I want to forbid them externals mails Is it possible How can I do it Our exchange 5.5 server is not an smtp relay. Externals mails are sent to another smtp server in a group network Thanks for any help Ben <maxmolosse@free.fr> wrote: >For some users, I want to forbid them externals mails. >Is it possible? Yes. >How can I do it? Change their SMTP address to someting like user@your.doman.LOCAL -- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm ...

can not recieve e-mail
I have set up a echange 2003 server and am unable to recieve e-mail. when I telnet to the mydomain.com 25 I get a reply that says connection to host is lost. How do I configure this to allow the mail to get to the server? thanks Stacy Do you have a Firewall? Is port 25 open on your Firewall or does it have a rule forwarding port 25 traffic to your Exchange box? I assume you can telnet port 25 inside your network. -- John Oliver, Jr. MCSE, MCT, CCNA, Exchange MVP Microsoft Certified Partner "Stacy McBrien" <mcbriens@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:13a601c3df8...

Blank E-Mails
Some of my users are complaining that e-mails sent or received are blank, I have tried the SP3 patch, changing text formats. Even some random command line. regsvr32 - inetcomm.dll. The cause of this blank e-mail fettish is unknown and doing my head in. We have restarted the SBS a number of occasions and all seems to be going fine until I hear those lovely word, "My e-mails are blank AGAIN" Ahhhh! Can someone, ANYONE help with this, The problem as far as I can see is common and microsoft seem to know nothing about it. Please write to my e-mail address or post here if you k...

While loop?
I'm trying to have it go through a series of textboxes and fill them. The problem I'm having is that I don't know how to get it to move to the next box. I tried: n=1 while n < 6 Title = "Text" & n Me!Title.SetFocus Me!Title.Text = "blah blah blah" n=n+1 Title = "" wend but it doesn't recognize that Title is the same as Text1, Text2, etc. Am I looking at it wrong or is it impossible? Try something like Dim N For N=1 To 6 Me("Text" & N) = "Bla Bla" Next N -- Good Luck BS"D "Melissa" wrote: ...

how do I to paste logo onto mailing label
Trying to copy/paste a logo onto a mailing label from word/Vista See http://www.gmayor.com/graphics_on_labels.htm -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> sandy jock wrote: > Trying to copy/paste a logo onto a mailing label from word/Vista ...

Outlook plugin for saving mails by dragging
Hi all, Our Legal team want some way of saving all emails related to a project into a common folder. We use microsoft exchange but our exchange admins will not allow use of public folders. The only way i can see around it is for the staff to setup a folders in the shared secure file area and save the emails they want into these. However, while the idea sounds perfect to them, they aren't happy with idea of saving individual emails to the folder one at a time, instead they would prefer some way of dragging them to the folder. I was wondering if anyone knew of an Outlook plugin or any other...

Operation Failed when sending e-mail
I have Outlook 98 installed on Windows 2003 Terminal Server. At the the moment the clients are foreced to use Outlook Rich Text format as their e-mail editor. The customer has decided that they want to use Word as the e-mail editor, so I changed the policy to force the Clients to use Word. All this works fine no problem, Outlook opens OK and you can happily type an e-mail, inlcuding attachments and hyperlinks etc. But when you click on send, it says "Operation Failed". I tried sending a blank e-mail with no attachments and the same thing happens. Does any one have any i...

Using mail merge for nametags, how'd you get 8 diff. on each pg?
How do I print off a different name on each name tag in order to print them out a page at a time? I entered the names in mail merge and it will print them, just a whole page of each. Thanks "juliehrbacek" wrote: > How do I print off a different name on each name tag in order to print them > out a page at a time? I entered the names in mail merge and it will print > them, just a whole page of each. > > Thanks This is the same question that has brought me here. I've been trying to figure it out for over 2 hours now and am about ready to pull my hair ou...

transferring files [inbox, sent mail, etc] from outlook
Recently installed Windows 7 and began using windows live mail. Previously had windows xp and windows outlook. I am trying to transfer the mail files [inbox, sent, drafts, etc] to windows live mail but cannot figure out how to do that. Help! If you really mean Outlook, it's more complicated. You need to take the ..pst file to a computer running Outlook, import the messages into Outlook Express first. If you mean Outlook Express, then you need to copy all of the .dbx files to the Win 7 computer, then import them into WLM. File - Import - Messages - Microsoft Outlook Ex...

Sending mail from public folders and saving sent items
Hi all, We have users here who use the public folders in Exchange 2003 to communicate with clients. It allows for a central place for all the staff to be able to communicate with clients. Im trying to figure out a way that when mail is sent from a public folder(using send on behalf of) that allows us to save the sent items in the folder itself instead of in the users own sent items folder. Is there a way to accomplish within exchange or am i looking at 3rd party tools? Thanks Andy You're looking at making sure you CC or BCC the public folder when you send the item. :-) Out...

Creating e-mail contacts
I have been advised to create mail-enabled contacts in the ESM. Could someone tell me what ESM is please? The requirement I am trying to resolve is to be able to provide all users with an address list containing a few contacts who are outside my organisation. Thanks in advance. ESM is Exchange System Manager, the admin program for Exchange 2000/2003. You do not create mail-enabled contacts in here, you need to use Active Directory Users and Computers. -- Paul Ford Microsoft UK LTD This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Samantha Wo...

how can i write an e-mail in outlook2003 and send it later as in .
How can I write an e-mail in outlook 2003 and send it later like in outlook express > How can I write an e-mail in outlook 2003 and send it later like in > outlook > express Start Creating your new email. In the email window click on the options button on the toolbar This brings up a 'message options' window. click on the do not deliver before check box. Set the date and time. Click on the close button. Send your email in the normal way. Make sure whatever time it's set to send the email, Outlook is open, and ready to run. Otherwise it will not send the email til...

Strange outgoing e-mail
I’m using Outlook 2007 in a Windows XP Pro environment. Recently I found two e-mails in my outbox which I did not initiate. Both were to companies telling them to continue to send me e-mail advertisements. This concerns me that my Outlook can be programmed by someone else to generate outgoing messages that I don’t authorize. How can I prevent Outlook 2007 from sending unauthorized e-mail? jay <jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I�m using Outlook 2007 in a Windows XP Pro environment. Recently I found two >e-mails in my outbox which I did not initiate. Both were to ...

No "Show Profiles" in "Control Panel"

from line in an e-mail
Hi. Quick question. I am using Outlook 2000, and when I receive e-mails and open them, in the from line is the person's name, i.e. Shaggy Smith followed by their email in brackets[shaggysmith@msn.com]. Why does that happen and how do I prevent. It ultimately looks like this. From: Shaggy Smith [shaggysmith@msn.com] To: Any One So it does not appear on the to line, just the from line. I would appreciate any help. Shaggy ...