Creating Universal Groups with Distribution Group members?

Hello all.

We have a Windows 2003 Active Directory with Exchange
2003, and I don't really want to duplicate work, but I
think I may have to (ugh!).

Here is the deal.  I need to create an All Managers
Universal Group with every group that has managers in
it.  So, what I tried doing, was I created a Universal
Group and added the _All Managers DL into it -- but that
didn't seem to work, according to my boss who asked me to
create this UG for him.  So, my question is, am I not
allowed to add DL members to a Universal Security Group?
And if now, is there any way that I can take the members
of a DL, and copy then, and then change them into a new
Security Group?

Thanks!

-Blake
0
anonymous (74722)

Hi Blake
Just to recap on what you said so i understand correctly
You need to create  a universal DL that contains other distribution lists
for you boss.
The existing DL are they Universal or Global?
What is it that does not work for your boss?
You can add UG DL,GG DL to a UG Security group.
--
Best Regards
Jan Englund
"Blake" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello all.
>
> We have a Windows 2003 Active Directory with Exchange
> 2003, and I don't really want to duplicate work, but I
> think I may have to (ugh!).
>
> Here is the deal.  I need to create an All Managers
> Universal Group with every group that has managers in
> it.  So, what I tried doing, was I created a Universal
> Group and added the _All Managers DL into it -- but that
> didn't seem to work, according to my boss who asked me to
> create this UG for him.  So, my question is, am I not
> allowed to add DL members to a Universal Security Group?
> And if now, is there any way that I can take the members
> of a DL, and copy then, and then change them into a new
> Security Group?
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Blake

The "_All Managers" is a Universal Distribution Group.  I
created a "Managers Universal Group" and made it a
Universal Security Group, and I added the "_All Managers"
DUG to it.  My boss's email was:

"I made the UG the only authorized user for Project and
it instantly disappeared from my Citrix login options.
(Before my user account had explicitly been authorized).
I don't know that you can effectively add a distribution
group to a security group, because that would leave group
membership in the hands of the distribution group owner,
who likely would not otherwise have administrative rights
to change memberships in security groups.  You might have
to duplicate the distribution group membership in the
security group."

What do you think?

0
anonymous (74722)

How to create a CustomerID field for custom entities
Hi, The customerid field is used in opportunity and case and it allows you to select an account or contact, Great. I want to create this field in a form for a new entity i have made, but i cant work out how. Please help. Hi Michael, Customer is special composite type which is not available for custom entities in CRM 3. You will need to add two separete lookup fields for account and contact. -- uMar Khan :: MS CRM MVP CRM Freelance Consultant Email :: imumar at gmail dot com Blog :: http://umarkhan.wordpress.com MVP :: https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/profile/umar.khan &...

Combining cells to create a formula
Hi, I have two cells that I want to combine to have a working formula B1 = sum B2 = d3 b3 = =b1&"("&b2&")" D3 = 10 The result in b3 is : sum(d3) How do I get this to result in the actual value in D3. I know I can simply write =D3, but the actual reason for combining the two cells is more complicated than explained here. Thanks Hi I think you are perhaps looking for the Indirect function =INDIRECT("D"&ROW(3:3)) would return the value contained in D3 As you copy down, the formula would alter to 4, 5 etc. represent D4, D5 etc. -- Regards R...

create a mass of mailboxes
hi and thanks in advance for your help, I've an exchange 2003 and I have to create a great number (3000) of account and mailboxes. I want to use a script to create them starting from a xls or csv file. There are same script that create the account in a progressive way but I can't use them. Is there something different to use? lucadb Try this link and refer to the section "Active Directory tools and application programming interfaces" http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/guides/e2k3InterOpMig/39d728f1-62e1-44aa-93c8-930fed46f4e1.mspx "lucadb"...

Creating a Microsoft Words document from an existing Excel spreads
Hi all, I need your kind guidance on how to create a new microsoft words document using an existing excel spreadsheet? At present, I have an excel spreadsheet, say "data.xls" containing data for example 6 fields such as COMPANY NAME, DATE, ITEM1, ITEM2, ITEM,3 & QUOTATION TOTAL. Under these 6 fields are some records of my customers. COMPANY NM DATE ITEM1 ITEM2 ITEM3 QUOTATION TTL ---------------- ------- -------- ------- -------- ------------------- ABC Limited 3 Apr xxxxx xxxxx ...

Creating a template using Publisher

Creating a "Do_Not_Reply" e-mail address
I need to create a do-not-reply@domain.com address that any user that I give permission to on the domain can send as by putting the above address in the "From:" field of their Outlook client and the external recipient will receive this and only see that it came from the do-not-reply address and not the send on behalf of user. Also what would be the best way to block or not receive the e-mails even if an external user does reply to it? On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 20:56:22 -0700, "D-a-n_L" <dlajoie@hotmail.com> wrote: >I need to create a do-not-reply@domain.com addr...

can servers be moved between administrative groups?
Below is an extract from the 70-284 MS training kit. I am totaly confused i have been told in this newsgroup by an MVP that you can not move a server once installed to a different administrative group and have also read elsewhere that you cannot but Microsoft below say you can in both modes. Subsequent Exchange servers are added to routing groups during the installation process,and if necessary, you can move servers between routing groups using Exchange System Manager. The only caveat is that in mixed mode, you cannot move servers between routing groups that belong to different administrative...

Can I create sub-functions in a cross-functional flowchart?
Trying to create a template for my organization to map processes to. Goal is to map the organization to the 'function bars' in Visio's cross-function flowcharts. However, I would like to create some 'sub-functions' for lower organizational elements (i.e. divisions under a department). Is this possible?? ...

Category to Distribution List
Dear All: A: Outlook 2003 B: OS = XP Is there a way to create a Distribution List from a category ? I have a number of clients in special categories ( usually company name) However, there are times when I want to send BCC to several clients and would like to find a way to send that email without having to insert all the names. The category list of names can only be in the To: portion of the outgoing email. Suggestions highly appreciated. John A Hansen Two methods, both starting with the folder grouped by category, and all = the items in the category selected:=20 1) Choose Actions |...

Stop use of Distribution List
Is there anyway that you can stop, or restrict the use of a distribution list? Since you have so much detail of how you are setup and if there are specific people or groups you want to restrict from using it, I will answer your question with the same amount of detail....YES. Add more detail and we can give you a better answer. "brendanrtw" <brendanrtw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6CB3EB2F-F428-46AD-A41E-A1495B8CF4CD@microsoft.com... > Is there anyway that you can stop, or restrict the use of a distribution > list? On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 12:00:...

Creating a worksheet in Spanish
Hello, Is there a way to create a worksheet on MS XP Pro running Office 2003 Pro all in Spanish? Thank You Kent Hansen Hi Kent All valid formulas -except the ones from the Analysis Toolpack- will automatically translate to the language of the Excel it's opened in. So any spanish speaking Excel will translate formulas to spanish, no matter which version it was written in. The rest, text constants and such, has to be typed or pasted. Excel will not translate this herself. HTH. Best wishes Harald "Kent" <Kent@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i melding news:ACCCBA3A-53B4...

5 steps to create a publication,the workplan
I need to know at least 5 steps to creating a workplan in pulisher. homework? 1- turn on computer 2- open Publisher 3- File | New 4- File | Page Setup 5- Design your thing 6- File | Save your thing oops thats 6 "thinking" <thinking@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1B4E2A10-BCB0-473D-B52A-EFCBB658D856@microsoft.com... |I need to know at least 5 steps to creating a workplan in pulisher. Thinking? This newsgroup is dedicated to solving problems with MS Office Publisher. Not doing your class assignment. "thinking" <thinking@discussions.micros...

Creating PDF files in MFC
Hi, I want to create PDF files in MFC. Does anyone know how should I do it? Thanks in advance. Check out the following http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/ "Shahoo" wrote: > Hi, > I want to create PDF files in MFC. Does anyone know how should I do > it? > Thanks in advance. > > Here's another to try out: "Shahoo" <shahookamangar@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1175272390.190193.274530@n59g2000hsh.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > I want to create PDF files in MFC. Does anyone know how should I do > it? > Thanks in advanc...

Can I create a CScrollView popup window?
Hi, My application displays video from a firewire camera. The video is displayed in a CScrollView derived window that I create in CMainFrame::OnCreate() like this: m_pImageView = new CImageView; m_pImageView->Create(NULL, NULL, WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE, rClient, this, AFX_IDW_PANE_FIRST, NULL)) Now, when the user stops the video, they can click a toolbar button that pops up a CWnd derived window that displays all of the image data on a particular line of video. So, if the camera is spewing out 8-bits per pixel in the 800x600 mode, the popup window would display the 800 bytes associated w...

can CPropertyPage be created without resource template ?
One does not require a resource template in the resources to create a CDialog One can create DLGTEMPLATE object and use it in CDialog::InitModalIndirect( My question is can a CPropertyPage be created without having a template in th resources. Can I tie it with a DLGTEMPLATE ~Amit "Amit" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9BC80E8C-1D6C-411F-87C4-66120D09C105@microsoft.com... > > One does not require a resource template in the resources to create a CDialog. > One can create DLGTEMPLATE object and use it in CDialog::InitModalIndirect() > &...

Large distribution lists
Hi all, Is there a way to have a distribution list send a message to each user individually instead of having all the emails stuffed into the "To" field? We are a federation and we send emails to our members regularly via a distribution group and there are a lot of bounces saying: #5.6.0 smtp;552 5.6.0 Headers too large (32768 max)> I tried splitting the distribution list by regions, but some regions still contain too many email addresses. Do I have to look at a third-party application just to do that? TIA for any suggestions/ideas! Mail merge in Word. "Eric Ca...

Creating aCRM activity from SFO
I want to send an email that will create an activity for a CRM user. I took an existing e-mail that I had previously sent and clicked on "Promote to CRM activity." I thought this would assign the email as an actrivity to this CRM user. But when I looked in CRM Workplace, the activity did not show up until I looked under "Completed Activities." Why was the e-mail marked as complete? Maybe I don't understand the concept. How do I generate an open activity (something that needs to be followed up on) for a specific user from within SFO? Maybe what I really should be ...

Creating a new OST file when Exhange is in recovery mode
After a member of staff left we created a new user account on the pc and changed Outlook to use it. When connecting to the server we now get a message that Exchange is in recovery mode and asking if we want to connect or work offline. As I have already imported the emails into the new account we no longer need the old cache held in the current OST file. How do we create a new OST file? I did find instructions on Microsoft's Knowledge Base but the advice said to 'Disable Offline Use' however this option was greyed out so it couldn't be selected. We are using Small Bu...

AutoComplete Outlook 2003 Distribution Lists
Hi all, please excuse my complete lack of understanding of Outlook, AD and hence my post. I am trying to find out if a distribution list (created in AD), that is stored in the AutoComplete list after you have typed it in at least once, references the original group each time to check for updates to the list. For example, let's say I have a distribution list called 'Company Cleaners' and I have sent an email to this group in the past. The next time I start to type this Distribution List name in the 'To' field, will it refer to the AD group or does it cache the names that a...

Prompt when sending to Distribution List
We have an Exchange 2003 with 2003 Active Directory environment. We have a distribution list that sends to all mailboxes in our organization and recently we've had some users inadvertently sending to this list. We DO NOT want to lock down who can send to the list (which would be the easy fix) and during a brainstorming session we were asked if we can have Outlook prompt the user with something like, "Are you really sure you want to send this to Everyone?" Is there anything in Exchange or Outlook that would create a prompt when selecting a certain distribution lis...

Procedures in Dex to create iv transfer document
Hi What are the procedures and functions in Dexterity to create a IV Transfer Document? Thanks Hi Cesar Please look in the Software Development Kit (SDK) at the Inventory Transaction Flow documentation. The SDK can be installed from the Tools folder of the second CD of the GP Install CDs or downloaded from PartnerSource or CustomerSource. David Musgrave [MSFT] Senior Development Consultant Escalation Engineer - Great Plains Microsoft Dynamics Support - Asia Pacific Microsoft Dynamics (formerly Microsoft Business Solutions) http://www.microsoft.com/Dynamics mailto:David.Musgrave@onli...

Unable to Create New Task
I am unable to create new task as the option is no longer available. What should I do? Thanks. What version of Outlook? Can you create other items? Is your product activated? -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Navigation Pane Tips & Tricks -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "Jeffrey" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:874201c4784e$322d2c60$a401280a@phx.gbl... >I am unable to create new task as the option is no longer > available. What should I do? Thanks. Th...