Creating Universal Groups with Distribution Group members?

Hello all.

We have a Windows 2003 Active Directory with Exchange
2003, and I don't really want to duplicate work, but I
think I may have to (ugh!).

Here is the deal.  I need to create an All Managers
Universal Group with every group that has managers in
it.  So, what I tried doing, was I created a Universal
Group and added the _All Managers DL into it -- but that
didn't seem to work, according to my boss who asked me to
create this UG for him.  So, my question is, am I not
allowed to add DL members to a Universal Security Group?
And if now, is there any way that I can take the members
of a DL, and copy then, and then change them into a new
Security Group?

Thanks!

-Blake
0
anonymous (74722)

Hi Blake
Just to recap on what you said so i understand correctly
You need to create  a universal DL that contains other distribution lists
for you boss.
The existing DL are they Universal or Global?
What is it that does not work for your boss?
You can add UG DL,GG DL to a UG Security group.
--
Best Regards
Jan Englund
"Blake" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello all.
>
> We have a Windows 2003 Active Directory with Exchange
> 2003, and I don't really want to duplicate work, but I
> think I may have to (ugh!).
>
> Here is the deal.  I need to create an All Managers
> Universal Group with every group that has managers in
> it.  So, what I tried doing, was I created a Universal
> Group and added the _All Managers DL into it -- but that
> didn't seem to work, according to my boss who asked me to
> create this UG for him.  So, my question is, am I not
> allowed to add DL members to a Universal Security Group?
> And if now, is there any way that I can take the members
> of a DL, and copy then, and then change them into a new
> Security Group?
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Blake

The "_All Managers" is a Universal Distribution Group.  I
created a "Managers Universal Group" and made it a
Universal Security Group, and I added the "_All Managers"
DUG to it.  My boss's email was:

"I made the UG the only authorized user for Project and
it instantly disappeared from my Citrix login options.
(Before my user account had explicitly been authorized).
I don't know that you can effectively add a distribution
group to a security group, because that would leave group
membership in the hands of the distribution group owner,
who likely would not otherwise have administrative rights
to change memberships in security groups.  You might have
to duplicate the distribution group membership in the
security group."

What do you think?

0
anonymous (74722)

Pls Help Me! Creating Chart
:mad: Hi there! How can I create / prepare this kind of chart, so call "Waterfal Chart" in Excel worksheet? (01 file attached) Thanks again! davidiew :confused +------------------------------------------------------------------- |Filename: chart123.doc |Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=3726 +------------------------------------------------------------------- -- davidtip ----------------------------------------------------------------------- davidtips's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?ac...

Advanced find, and the grouping and ungrouping of clauses
One of my users has come with this replicable issue: 1. Put in a number of line items in the Advanced Find, select the rows, and click "Group OR" 2. Run it - - it works fine. 3. Go back, ungroup the selection. 4. Add another line item, select rows, and click on the "Group OR" What happens: 1. The "OR" clause doesn't appear 2. The first line item in the Advanced Find disappears 3. There is a message of "Error on page" If you attempt to click "Group OR" again, the NEXT line item in the Advanced Find disappears. Has anyone else experience...

Newly created users can not log in to Exch2K
I'm running Win2K Server sp4 and Exch2K sp3. As of last Friday, any newly created user can log into the domain but can not access the exchange server. They keep getting the "user-ID, domain, password" prompt. I've tried deleting the user and re-adding to no avail. I've checked licensing and all is well in that area. Any ideas? Thanks in Advance. Hi, Did you checked the user's properties and can you see the users e-mail address ? I think that the user properties are not updated. Do a manual update to all, close ESM and open again and see. And check is the admi...

Can't Create a Batch File that's Executable
I'm running Windows Home Premium, SP2. Windows Defender, Spyware Doctor, MBAM, SAS and CCleaner. MS Office 2007. 2 GB of RAM. All WU's are current. System is running fine. I'm having trouble with Win Defender Definitions updates so I'm working via e-mail with MS to reset my Security Settings and Permissions. One of their suggestions is to create a batch file using Run==>Cmd==notepad and have this file contain the following: @echo off subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators...

Create Playlist with Drag and Drop Problems
I can't seem to get songs to drop in the new playlist panel. I tried with album playing or not playing. I can pick them up, what is the problem? What version of WMP and Windows? You say that you can pick the songs up, what exactly happens when you drag them over the playlist pane? And when you release them? Do you have any non-default WMP plug-ins installed? You can check by going to WMP's Options - Plug-ins, and selecting Background. Regards -- Tim De Baets http://www.bm-productions.tk On 24/05/2010 15:48, janti wrote: > I can't seem to get songs to d...

Suppress printing of Subreport on the next page of the same group?
I am trying to print a summary page (subreport) followed by details. When it overflow to the next page, I do not want the summary page to appear again for the same group. How can I suppress printing of this report following a page break? I am pretty new to programming and I guess I need more details. Thanks Put the subreport in its own group section. -- John Spencer Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2008 Center for Health Program Development and Management University of Maryland Baltimore County .. "Kevin T" <KevinT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:57CCBC43-E...

distribution list #6
While in my "in-box" folder is it possible to create a distribution list from all the e-mail addresses that are ;ocated in the "to" field without copying or typing each ail box one by one? Many thanks, James Not natively. There are probably some third party apps that can do this. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "james" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:027d01c39987$d76bd970$a101280a@phx.gbl... > While in my "in-box" folder is it possible to create a > distribution list from all the e-mail addresses that > ar...

Distribution lists won't expand?
Beginning two days ago, local distribution lists on one of our workstations no longer expand into individual emails. By this I mean there is no longer a '+' beside the list in the "To:" field. Also, the server rejects the email with the following message: The following recipient(s) could not be reached: '1st Year Candidates 2009' on 2/26/2010 12:39 PM 501 <1st Year Candidates 2009>: "@" or "." expected after "1st" I can open these lists and view each of the individual contacts, update them and e...

How do I create custom border using peoples names?
There are many it could be done. I'd set up text boxes and go from there. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Val" <Val@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BFF16BB3-4C90-4E05-B0AA-303874A445AA@microsoft.com... > In addition to JoAnn's reply, you could use WordArt as well. WordArt allows you the opportunity to rotate, flip, arrange etc. and resize as well as save as an image. -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publishermvps.com This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. &...

Recovery Storage Group
As far as I understand, in exchange 2003, the recovery storage group purpose is to let us restore a database and its mailboxes. But it can't be done without mounting a new mailbox database on ANOTHER exchange server inside the same administrative group. But, we're not that big so only one exchange server is needed here. QUESTION: most of the time, if not all the time, a user needs to retrieve an old email, not all its mailbox. However, can we simply restore an email within a user mailbox from a backup instead to restore everything on another exchange server and then take it back ...

How to create report from Pivot Table View of Union Query?
Hi all, I have create a Union ALL Query. I want to generate a report from it. The Pivot Table View of this Union Query shows exactly what I want (having Row Heading, Column Heading and Detailed Data), so how can I make it as a Report? I have tried to create new report, but there is no options of making a pivot table (something like Crosstab Query and Pivot Table View of the Union Query). Also tried to export to Excel, but it shows only count of records. I want all detailed records. Thank you. -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com Hi Duane, I tried to create a crosstab qu...

how to create item numbers column in a Query
Is there anyway to place a column (Item#) in a query, which will show the item numbers of the results. Say that, if query result has 13 items, Item# values will be sequentially 1,2,3...11,12,13. I have a feeling that it might be solved by usind DCOUNT function. Thanks ...

Extended Pricing price groups should allow multiple Units of Meas.
We categorize our items without regard to units of measure, and want to make an overall change to a particular category of items, e.g. increase the discount percent for all items in that category. But we cannot group these items into one price group because they have different units of measure. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft ...

How to create a CLR DLL for Sql Server 2005? Is it just any .net class library that you can load into Sql Server 2005 or is there some special project type that I need to start with?
How to create a CLR DLL for Sql Server 2005? Is it just any .net class library that you can load into Sql Server 2005 or is there some special project type that I need to start with? "DR" <softwareengineer98037@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:uJRyKcbFIHA.3980@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > How to create a CLR DLL for Sql Server 2005? Is it just any .net class > library that you can load into Sql Server 2005 or is there some special > project type that I need to start with? > You can do it all "by hand" but there is a template "SQL Server project&...

Distribution lists ?
Hi ! I have about 60 distribution lists and now i'm planning to make document about those lists. Does anybody know a short way to do this ? It's quit hard to go separatelly through all lists and write it down users who belong to those lists. I have Win NT 4 SP6a and Exchange 5.5 sp3. -Mika V On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 03:08:26 -0700, "Mika V" <mika.valimaa@pcsuperstore.fi> wrote: >Hi ! > >I have about 60 distribution lists and now i'm >planning to make document about those lists. >Does anybody know a short way to do this ? >It's quit hard to ...

how do you create a cumulative line graph? i.e. it adds each valu.
With a column that adds the appropriate values? If you want to continue this discussion, please use the body of the message for your post. -- Regards, Tushar Mehta www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom MS Office productivity solutions In article <D8605870-E872-4407-A375-AC74778F4A8F@microsoft.com>, cmurphy@discussions.microsoft.com says... > > ...

How to create Access 2010 Calculated field using VBA ?
Is there a way to create a Calculated field in Access 2010 table using VBA ? I can create any type of field but cant find the way to create new Calculated field type. "exebat" <srdjan.vasiljevic@gmail.com> wrote in message news:a326eef0-8deb-4222-8828-2fc91baf0d26@y17g2000yqd.googlegroups.com... > Is there a way to create a Calculated field in Access 2010 table using > VBA ? > > I can create any type of field but cant find the way to create new > Calculated field type. My 2010 machine is getting it's webcam repaired so I couldn't check th...

How do I hide e-mail addresses when sending distribution list?
Either put the addresses in the BCC field or use a mail merge. -- Patricia DiGiacomo Outlook MVP Author - Special Edition Using Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 Lead Author - Access 2003 VBA Programmer's Reference Author - Absolute Beginner's Guide to Microsoft OneNote 2003 http://blogs.officezealot.com/cardoza http://www.cardozasolutions.com "Don" <Don@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8F5F897A-C832-465B-A827-E3D6C6A2E8B3@microsoft.com... > ...

Creating Largeoster
Using Windows P Pro and Publisher 2003. I have a GIF graphic that I need to expand into a 36" by 48 " poster. My printer will print in formats of up to 11 by 17 inch. Publisher has a mechanism to overlap pages and print to multiple pages that can be taped together into one large page. IF you know how to use it! How do I get from a 8.5" by 11" graphic GIF file to a 36" by 48" poster? I'd like to print on 11 by 17 format to make the taping easier. How do I set up the printer to output 11 by 17 and the multiple pages to overlap sufficiently to be u...

create & edit table in tasks or Journal
Hi, I am trying to insert or create and edit table in MS Outlook task or Journal. And up to now the only place where I can create and edit table in MS Outlook is in email. But email is not useful for me because I am trying to track progress with Jello. And with Jello I can categorize each task into separate project but not emails. Any idea? ...

Create a Group Mailing List
I have created mail groups in the past, but now cannot. I have also read all the directions on this message board, but nothing works for me. Help! Why can't you? Are you missing the buttons on the toolbar? Missing buttons from the Windows Contacts toolbar http://www.vista4beginners.com/Missing-buttons-from-Windows-Contacts-toolbar Vista - "New Contact" and "New Contact Group" Button Missing http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/186477-new-contact-new-contact-group-button-missing.html -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, ...

CREATING A DL GREETING CARD
I am trying to creat a new template in Publisher to create at DL Greeting Card i.e. a A4 Page folded twice horizontally - 1/3 A4 page but i am not sure how to do this. The size of the card would be 110x220mm. Can someone please please help as i am trying to make my wedding invitations!! You didn't say which version of Publisher you have but here's what works for Publisher 2000 and may get you through the chore. File, Print Setup Verify the printer shows A4 paper. Next; File Page Setup Special Fold "Choose a Special Fold" = Side-Fold Card OK Publisher will ask you ...

Does Excel 2002 have a List>Create List option under Data?
Trying to create a list in 2002 Excel. I know 2003 has the List option under Data. Is there a patch or another way to get it? Tools>Options>custom Lists tab Pat "Jesse" wrote: > Trying to create a list in 2002 Excel. I know 2003 has the List option under > Data. Is there a patch or another way to get it? Data|List was added in xl2003. There is no patch. Jesse wrote: > > Trying to create a list in 2002 Excel. I know 2003 has the List option under > Data. Is there a patch or another way to get it? -- Dave Peterson As Dave said, there's no patch, bu...

Create reusable header object
I want to be able to create a header template that is referenced from a main document, so if I make changes to that header file – then any documents that reference this header template will get the new header content automatically. (the header will include graphics and text) I know I can use a .dot template – but that just embeds the current template format in that file. I want to use this for our letterhead and other publications, so if we make changes to that header – then any new files, or any older files will get that new header formatting automatically. Can I do this...

how to close group in excel 2007?
how to close group in excel 2007? TIA. I have the same problem. Anyone? "news.microsoft.com" wrote: > how to close group in excel 2007? > TIA. > ...