Creating e-mail contacts

I have been advised to create mail-enabled contacts in the ESM.  Could
someone tell me what ESM is please?

The requirement I am trying to resolve is to be able to provide all users
with an address list containing a few contacts who are outside my
organisation.

Thanks in advance.

0
tc2003 (6)

ESM is Exchange System Manager, the admin program for Exchange 2000/2003.
You do not create mail-enabled contacts in here, you need to use Active
Directory Users and Computers.

--
Paul Ford
Microsoft UK LTD

"Samantha Woods" <tc2003@btconnect.com> wrote in message
> I have been advised to create mail-enabled contacts in the ESM.  Could
> someone tell me what ESM is please?
>
> The requirement I am trying to resolve is to be able to provide all users
> with an address list containing a few contacts who are outside my
> organisation.
>
> Thanks in advance.

0
paulford (74)
1/9/2004 10:50:25 AM
> You do not create mail-enabled contacts in here, you need to use Active
> Directory Users and Computers.

I have looked into this - thanks.  However the procedure appears to be
concerned with creating users and all I really want is an external e-mail
contact to be created, so that all users on our system can use that e-mail
address from their Outlook clients.

In other words, the new contact is not part of our organisation, but an
outside contact at "anywhere.com" for instance.

Hope this helps.

Sam

0
tc2003 (6)
1/9/2004 12:05:48 PM
In ADUC, create a new contact by right-clicking, new, contact. Name it, and
put in the external address. It will show up in the global address list.

Samantha Woods wrote:
>> You do not create mail-enabled contacts in here, you need to use
>> Active Directory Users and Computers.
>
> I have looked into this - thanks.  However the procedure appears to be
> concerned with creating users and all I really want is an external
> e-mail contact to be created, so that all users on our system can use
> that e-mail address from their Outlook clients.
>
> In other words, the new contact is not part of our organisation, but
> an outside contact at "anywhere.com" for instance.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Sam

0
lanwench (7567)
1/9/2004 2:13:41 PM
In Active DIrectory Users and Computers
drill down to the Recipients folder under your domain name.

Right click-->New-->Contact. Input details about this contact. Finish. Click
OK
Now right-click on the newly created contact and add the external email
address.
This new contact will appear in the GAL and users will can simply send an
email to it.

That's what worked for me.

> > You do not create mail-enabled contacts in here, you need to use Active
> > Directory Users and Computers.
>
> I have looked into this - thanks.  However the procedure appears to be
> concerned with creating users and all I really want is an external e-mail
> contact to be created, so that all users on our system can use that e-mail
> address from their Outlook clients.
>
> In other words, the new contact is not part of our organisation, but an
> outside contact at "anywhere.com" for instance.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Sam

0
ferguson1 (18)