Creating a new OST file when Exhange is in recovery mode

After a member of staff left we created a new user account on the pc and
changed Outlook to use it.  When connecting to the server we now get a
message that Exchange is in recovery mode and asking if we want to connect or
work offline.

As I have already imported the emails into the new account we no longer need
the old cache held in the current OST file.

How do we create a new OST file? I did find instructions on Microsoft's
Knowledge Base but the advice said to 'Disable Offline Use' however this
option was greyed out so it couldn't be selected.

We are using Small Business Server 2003 with Exchange 2003 SP2 and Outlook
2003.

Many thanks
Graham
0
Graham8706 (123)

In news:3BEA33F9-80B0-4937-9285-6617DA61E402@microsoft.com,
Graham <Graham@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> After a member of staff left we created a new user account on the pc
> and changed Outlook to use it.  When connecting to the server we now
> get a message that Exchange is in recovery mode and asking if we want
> to connect or work offline.
>
> As I have already imported the emails into the new account we no
> longer need the old cache held in the current OST file.
>
> How do we create a new OST file? I did find instructions on
> Microsoft's Knowledge Base but the advice said to 'Disable Offline
> Use' however this option was greyed out so it couldn't be selected.
>
> We are using Small Business Server 2003 with Exchange 2003 SP2 and
> Outlook 2003.
>
> Many thanks
> Graham

Simplest thing might be to just create a new mail profile for this
user....then find/delete the old OST file when done.

0
lanwench (7567)
2/16/2006 2:36:01 PM
If you created a new user account, how is Outlook still using the old
profile?

Delete and re-create the Outlook profile, and if you don't need the old OST
file, delete that from the computer as well before you re-create the Outlook
profile.

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

"Graham" <Graham@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After a member of staff left we created a new user account on the pc and
> changed Outlook to use it.  When connecting to the server we now get a
> message that Exchange is in recovery mode and asking if we want to connect
> or
> work offline.
>
> As I have already imported the emails into the new account we no longer
> need
> the old cache held in the current OST file.
>
> How do we create a new OST file? I did find instructions on Microsoft's
> Knowledge Base but the advice said to 'Disable Offline Use' however this
> option was greyed out so it couldn't be selected.
>
> We are using Small Business Server 2003 with Exchange 2003 SP2 and Outlook
> 2003.
>
> Many thanks
> Graham

0
Ben
2/16/2006 2:45:05 PM
On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 06:11:32 -0800, Graham
<Graham@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>After a member of staff left we created a new user account on the pc and
>changed Outlook to use it.  When connecting to the server we now get a
>message that Exchange is in recovery mode and asking if we want to connect or
>work offline.
>
>As I have already imported the emails into the new account we no longer need
>the old cache held in the current OST file.
>
>How do we create a new OST file? I did find instructions on Microsoft's
>Knowledge Base but the advice said to 'Disable Offline Use' however this
>option was greyed out so it couldn't be selected.
>
>We are using Small Business Server 2003 with Exchange 2003 SP2 and Outlook
>2003.
>
>Many thanks
>Graham

A couple of ways, but the easiest is to typically create a new Outlook
profile with a different name than the current profile.
0
adavid (8731)
2/16/2006 2:46:39 PM
Hello Andy

Thanks for your reply.  I was hoping that there might be a way to force a
refresh of the cache held in the OST file so that it is cleared and a copy of
the mailbox on the Exchange server is downloaded.

Regards
Graham

"Andy David - MVP" wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 06:11:32 -0800, Graham
> <Graham@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >After a member of staff left we created a new user account on the pc and
> >changed Outlook to use it.  When connecting to the server we now get a
> >message that Exchange is in recovery mode and asking if we want to connect or
> >work offline.
> >
> >As I have already imported the emails into the new account we no longer need
> >the old cache held in the current OST file.
> >
> >How do we create a new OST file? I did find instructions on Microsoft's
> >Knowledge Base but the advice said to 'Disable Offline Use' however this
> >option was greyed out so it couldn't be selected.
> >
> >We are using Small Business Server 2003 with Exchange 2003 SP2 and Outlook
> >2003.
> >
> >Many thanks
> >Graham
>

> A couple of ways, but the easiest is to typically create a new Outlook
> profile with a different name than the current profile.

0
Graham8706 (123)
2/16/2006 3:02:21 PM
Well - you do that by deleting the actual OST file on the computer.  When
you do that (after exiting Outlook), Outlook will prompt you to re-create
the OST file and will then re-populate it with the data on the server.

--

> Hello Andy
>
> Thanks for your reply.  I was hoping that there might be a way to force a
> refresh of the cache held in the OST file so that it is cleared and a copy
> of
> the mailbox on the Exchange server is downloaded.
>
> Regards
> Graham
>
> "Andy David - MVP" wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 06:11:32 -0800, Graham
>> <Graham@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >After a member of staff left we created a new user account on the pc and
>> >changed Outlook to use it.  When connecting to the server we now get a
>> >message that Exchange is in recovery mode and asking if we want to
>> >connect or
>> >work offline.
>> >
>> >As I have already imported the emails into the new account we no longer
>> >need
>> >the old cache held in the current OST file.
>> >
>> >How do we create a new OST file? I did find instructions on Microsoft's
>> >Knowledge Base but the advice said to 'Disable Offline Use' however this
>> >option was greyed out so it couldn't be selected.
>> >
>> >We are using Small Business Server 2003 with Exchange 2003 SP2 and
>> >Outlook
>> >2003.
>> >
>> >Many thanks
>> >Graham
>>

>> A couple of ways, but the easiest is to typically create a new Outlook
>> profile with a different name than the current profile.

0
Ben
2/16/2006 5:03:17 PM
Thanks Ben. Deleting the OST did indeed allow it to be recreated.

Regards
Graham

"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:

> Well - you do that by deleting the actual OST file on the computer.  When
> you do that (after exiting Outlook), Outlook will prompt you to re-create
> the OST file and will then re-populate it with the data on the server.
>
> --
> Ben Winzenz
> Exchange MVP
> MessageOne
> Read my blog!
> http://winzenz.blogspot.com
> http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed)
>

> "Graham" <Graham@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello Andy
> >
> > Thanks for your reply.  I was hoping that there might be a way to force a
> > refresh of the cache held in the OST file so that it is cleared and a copy
> > of
> > the mailbox on the Exchange server is downloaded.
> >
> > Regards
> > Graham
> >
> > "Andy David - MVP" wrote:

> >> A couple of ways, but the easiest is to typically create a new Outlook
> >> profile with a different name than the current profile.

0
Graham8706 (123)

file will not save
One of my excel files will not save. it seems to work ok, but when i try to save it, i get a "document not saved" message. the file cannot be closed unless i agree not to try to save it. any ideas why i cannot save this file? #1. Are you working off a floppy? If yes, then don't do this. Use windows explorer to copy from floppy to harddrive and work from there (and save there). Then use windows explorer to copy back to floppy. #2. You're saving to a location that you don't have permission to save to. #3. Your diskdrive is out of space??? missionary wrote...

Missing File Day 3 No resolution ?
No. Is this file something that can be sent to me? -----Original Message----- From: "Diane Poremsky" <info@cdolive.com> Sent: 4/12/2004 8:15:04 PM Subject: Re: Missing file still.... did you have different versions or suites of office installed? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com "Kyle" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in mess...

no new E-mails in Outlook Express inbox
As of today no E-mails were received. Buckeye checked their system and it is was ok they suggested I contact Dell. My Dell computor is new and I have been in the process of transferring data from my Macintosh to Dell via E-mail. Is this helpful in solving the receiving of E-Mails? Virginia I also cannot locate my address book nor my entered E-Mail adresses??? In news:5D56DA8C-799A-46D2-8DDF-7D4A350640B9@microsoft.com, outlook new users <outlook new users@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > As of today no E-mails were received. Buckeye checked their system > and it is w...

On-line services set up failed with "new & improved" Money update
Money 2005 Premium: with the mid-August unannounced update by Microsoft, I lost my ability to go on-line. I reviewed the instructions inside Money and tried to re-set the on-line service but I'm now in a loop that doesn't seem to have any way to back out of it or to move forward successfully. Instead of disabling the account first, which is listed in the long, weary icon version of the update instructions, I went to set up online services and now have the message "complete setup for online services" which apparently will not work because I consistently get a message ...

New Entity Question
I created a new entity in CRM. After creation, by default, I have the following options under the Actions menu when a new object is created: Actions > Delete; Actions > Deactivate How do I get a "close"/"resolve" option to appear under Actions? (Ex: the way it appears under Cases, Activities, etc...) On the form of my new entity, I have a Regarding field so I'm able to track these objects in CRM. I would like to be able to keep the history in CRM, so I don't want to delete or deactivate these objects. Any advice? Thanks! ...

Q on recovery storage group
I need to restore a mailbox that still exists on a storage group but it used to be on a different storage group. I want to create the recovery storage group with the mailbox store of the storage group that the user used to exist and then extract the messages from there. Would that be possible? I hope my explanation is clear. Thanks. nope...I had to try to do this too, and it cannot be done...you would need to move the user back to the storage group/store they were on when the backup was taken, if I remember correctly...or use a 3rd party tool like Quest's Recovery Manager for ...

create new users STRANGE problem
Hi, I'm developing a web application (using standard asp and not asp.net) to let certain remote users administer exchange 2003. I have installed win2003 standard edition, exchange 2003 enterprise edition,owa and my web application on the same server. My web app, let users to create mailboxes, delete mailboxes, change user password. All works fine, but for example, if I reboot the server, a web application user can create 50 mailboxes. But when any of these users log on to owa, something goes wrong and the admin user cannot mailbox enable other user accounts through the web app, even if he ...

ProbleM: when I restore a mailbox using Exmerge with a pst file, nothing is transferred.
Hi, I am practising Exmerge for a big remote site migration in a couple of weeks. One thing I dont understand is that I can backup one test mailbox fine using Exmerge (I know this works, as I have opened the mailbox pst file within outlook and everything is there), but when I perform the restore using the pst file, nothing happens. There is no error messages, and Emerge goes through the motions (though it finishes supsiciously quick), but when I open the mailbox, no emails have been restored. Although it is great that Exmerge is working for the backup part of the stage, I am disappointed it i...

MOving CRM to new domain 12-01-03
We are in teh process of changing over to a new domain and need to migrate our CRM server to the new domain. Has anyone done this? Does anyone know if a Tech article or paper on how to do this? Thanks In Advance! Microsoft currently say its not possible as per the article i have pasted below. The only way i can think of doing this is installing a parallel CRM system and have code look at the data and migrate between the two systems by creating new objects on the new CRM system. The data migration framework may help but that may also be dependant on the domain being the same etc ...

Importing ofx file
I'm using Money 2004 Premium and I was downloading my bank account information in ofx format directly in Money; recently this stopped working and I have to manually import the file into money. Not a big deal, but an annoyance just the same. Does anyone have a suggestion as to a fix for this? tia dennisd In message <QK3kl.3776$rt3.617@newsfe15.iad>, dennis <djd@home.net> writes >I'm using Money 2004 Premium and I was downloading my bank account >information in ofx format directly in Money; recently this stopped working >and I have to manually import the fi...

in creating a pie chart in excel 2007
How many rows or columns of data can the pie chart plot I once tried 360 cells and got a wonderful Moiré pattern Why not just experiment with 1, 2, 3 dozen and see for yourself if the result is acceptable ? best wishes -- Bernard Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme "bsalohcin" <bsalohcin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F9CF7752-1816-4DCE-BF82-9C25033AE888@microsoft.com... > How many rows or columns of data can the pie chart plot According to MS:- Data series in one chart 255 (max limit) Data points in a...

error when opening .accdb file
I don't think this is a new issue but I can't seem to find the resolution... I get an error when opening my Access 2007 formatted database stating that the file could not be found, though at the same time the file opens successfully. -- Error is intermittent. On occasions where the error does not occur, the file opens normally (I have never had an occasion where the file did not open at all) -- I have only seen the error happen when I have a 'Display Form' set in the Application Options for the 'Current Database' -- The database contains macros, VBA m...

New CRM Database Views
I am need of creating a new CRM view to handle some report requirements. I have read that views that use views are supported and I have read that I need to create a new database adjacent to the CRM database. How are any of youh hanlding New CRM Database Views? If you scroll down the CRM tables in OrganizationName_MSCRM database then you will see the ffiltered views of table. I have created Reports in Business intelligence by using existing views of CRM . These views correspond to the security role of crm users. /Aamir Hello there, It's a good practice to create a new database to hol...

GST Tax Forms for New Zealand
Hi there, I have recently prchased Money 2005 Standard, ans the box has big claims about it being able to track GST on purchases etc. That all seems to be working well, except I cannot get the GST information out of it at all. How do I setup my tax forms to give me the totals that I need for my GST return? Thanks in advance Jerome Brown Dear Jerome, I also would like to display the GST in a final report. Did you have any luck elsewhere? Marcus "Jerome Brown" wrote: > Hi there, > > I have recently prchased Money 2005 Standard, ans the box has big claims > about...

Restoring Public Folder to a Recovery Server
Hello, We have exchange 2003. We restored our PUB folder database to a recovery server (separe forest). We are able to mount the database but how can we acess it. We know exmerge will not work in this case and we tried installing outlook client but we can only see the default Public folder database. Thanks in advance Hi, "xmis1" <xmis1@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:6FCB9C1E-1D51-4FCA-9F82-6A3B85DFB510@microsoft.com... > Hello, > > We have exchange 2003. We restored our PUB folder database to a recovery > server (separe forest). We ar...

FREE New Indian oil for men!
Free Indian oil promotion for men! 100% free trial bottle, safe and great fun! Tel : 91-22-24449309/56663081 MURLI WAGHULDE ...

Transfering to new EXCH Server.
We are trying to transfer to a new Exchange 2003 server so we can reformat the old machine. Mailbox transfers are complete and the new box is hooked up internally and to our outgoing IP. I am able to receive mail from outside the network, but all outgoing mail is stuck in the queue. I have set the Virtual Smtp server to all unassigned, and I have nothing in routing. Im not very familiar with these settings. Is the problem the old exchange server? Is there a way to remove it without uninstalling exchange from the old machine? My non deliverables come back with this error message. ...

new blank doc
I some how corrupted my blank doc. When I go to file and open. I get a blank doc with 3 cloums saying next record. How can I get my blank doc back so that I can do my work? Thank you itropier While this newsgroup is for Microsoft .NET (dotnet) questions, you should locate the hidden system file called "normal.dot" and delete it. -Scott "new blank doc" <newblankdoc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:95C60997-1B8B-4831-BB69-A56A9B1CBC8B@microsoft.com... >I some how corrupted my blank doc. When I go to file and open. I get a >...

Creating the filter for the recipeint policy
Hi, Can you let me know what is the best of way of creating the LDAP filter for the recipient policy if I want the policy to assign the email address based on the admin group.This filter should assign the email address to the mailbox and DL's -- Vinod Kumar Recipient Policies are based on recipients' attributes - admin group is not one of them. Perhaps look at other common attributes, or add an additional UPN suffix and assign a common UPN suffix to these recipients, than use Recipient Policies to filter based on UPN. -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog l...

How do I create a running subtraction column?
In other words, how do I create a column which subtracts from the preceeding cell? Hi you may provide some more details what you're trying to do exactly. Maybe post some example rows -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany aschneider wrote: > In other words, how do I create a column which subtracts from the > preceeding cell? If you want the balance in column B, and you are making entries in column A which are to be subtracted from the balance, put the starting balance in B1. In B2 put the formula =B1-A2 On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 08:35:08 -0700, "aschneider" <aschne...

Create Folders in Directory with Excel VBA?
Hi, Is there a way to create folders with a specfic names, and have them saved in a directory. I have an excel file with 250 records with my desired folder names. I want to avoid having to through the process of selecting <File | New | Folder> then naming the folder -- 250 times! I imagine there's an easier way with VBA... please help! Thanks It can be done something like this. Attatch code to a command button on the sheet. Alter code to suit your reqirements. Test on a dummy workbook first until you get it to work the way you want. Please note that there are practical lim...

Default Folder for PST files?
I have a slightly different question relating to the above: I already have my current & archive pst files stored in my own personal folders. When I want to open my archive folder I right-click Outlook Today & select 'Open Outlook Data File'. Everytime, Outlook defaults to its own path (Documents & Settings\User\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\) This is really annoying & I would like it to default to opening a customised path, such as C:\Mail\ Any suggestions? -- Cheers, James Goodman Hi James, if you want to displace your pst file, please ...

Pivot Chart Created from Pivot Table is Blank
HELP!!! I am following a tutorial in an Excel 2007 book step-by-step. In one of the lessons I was able to successfully and easily create a pivot chart from a pivot table. In my next lesson, I am following the exact same steps (even have started over a couple of times), and when I create a pivot chart from the pivot table in this lesson, it creates a blank chart. WHY DOES IT DO THIS??? I know I have followed the steps correctly. Any ideas on why Excel isn't cooperating with me on this lesson would be soooo appreciated. Hi, Blank charts usually result from having your cursor in...

Importing Contract from .csv file is not working
Hi, I m new to CRM. I have two column in my .CSV file. name and phone number i am trying to imort them to CRM contact Module. Everything happen smooth, i mean mapping of fields. But it does not Import the Contact in to CRM , instead the task goes and sits into the Buld Import Activity. And shows the Status as "Pending". I am using CRM Client and all the services are running..... Please let me know what could be the problem.. Labhesh Shrimali Bangalore - India MCP. Hi you have to change the Log on account for the Workflow Service on the CRM Server Regards, Dirk F ...

How do I create a "floating" header in Excel so I can always see i
contact me at andy@boydrealestateinc.com Andy To have row 1 always in view as you scroll down. Select A2 and Window>Freeze Panes. Rule is: whatever is above and left of the selected cell will be frozen after you hit Window>Freeze Panes. i.e. select B2 to have Column A and Row 1 frozen. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 13:38:00 -0800, Andy Heal <Andy Heal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >contact me at andy@boydrealestateinc.com ...