Creating a "Do_Not_Reply" e-mail address

I need to create a do-not-reply@domain.com address that any user that I give 
permission to on the domain can send as by putting the above address in the 
"From:" field of their Outlook client and the external recipient will 
receive this and only see that it came from the do-not-reply address and not 
the send on behalf of user. Also what would be the best way to block or not 
receive the e-mails even if an external user does reply to it? 

0
dlajoie (4)
4/14/2007 3:56:22 AM
exchange.admin 57650 articles. 2 followers. Follow

7 Replies
240 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 38

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 20:56:22 -0700, "D-a-n_L" <dlajoie@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I need to create a do-not-reply@domain.com address that any user that I give 
>permission to on the domain can send as by putting the above address in the 
>"From:" field of their Outlook client and the external recipient will 
>receive this and only see that it came from the do-not-reply address and not 
>the send on behalf of user. Also what would be the best way to block or not 
>receive the e-mails even if an external user does reply to it? 

The version of Exchange has a big bearing on this !

In ESM | Global Settings you can sepecify addresses not to accept mail
for and you can specify to drop the messages.

You can set up a mailbox that will receive the messages and create a
recipient policy to delete them daily.

You can tell your anti spam application do the dropping before it gets
near an Exchange server.

That's three and I'm sure I could think of a few more. See how you get
on with those.
0
mark7219 (5666)
4/14/2007 6:07:32 AM
"Mark Arnold [MVP]" <mark@mvps.org> wrote:

>On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 20:56:22 -0700, "D-a-n_L" <dlajoie@hotmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>I need to create a do-not-reply@domain.com address that any user that I give 
>>permission to on the domain can send as by putting the above address in the 
>>"From:" field of their Outlook client and the external recipient will 
>>receive this and only see that it came from the do-not-reply address and not 
>>the send on behalf of user. Also what would be the best way to block or not 
>>receive the e-mails even if an external user does reply to it? 
>
>The version of Exchange has a big bearing on this !
>
>In ESM | Global Settings you can sepecify addresses not to accept mail
>for and you can specify to drop the messages.
>
>You can set up a mailbox that will receive the messages and create a
>recipient policy to delete them daily.
>
>You can tell your anti spam application do the dropping before it gets
>near an Exchange server.
>
>That's three and I'm sure I could think of a few more. See how you get
>on with those.

Create a DL with no members. Assign the do-not-reply@domain.com
address to the empty DL. Give the Authenticated Users (or the
Everyone) group "Send As" permissions on the group. Any mail addressed
to the group will just disappear.

While your at it, why not create another group named "Undisclosed
Recipients" and put that in the "To:" header of messages to groups
(put the /real/ recipients into the "Bcc:" header). Then when they
unthinkingly use "Reply to all" nobody will get a message. :-)

-- 
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm
Don't send mail to this address mailto:h.pott@getronics.com
Or to these, either: mailto:h.pott@pinkroccade.com mailto:melvin.mcphucknuckle@getronics.com mailto:melvin.mcphucknuckle@pinkroccade.com
0
richnews (7316)
4/14/2007 3:03:17 PM
Thanks!

"Rich Matheisen [MVP]" <richnews@rmcons.com.NOSPAM.COM> wrote in message 
news:qvq123tj0cflqr1n4f56habumhbj676q19@4ax.com...
> "Mark Arnold [MVP]" <mark@mvps.org> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 20:56:22 -0700, "D-a-n_L" <dlajoie@hotmail.com>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>I need to create a do-not-reply@domain.com address that any user that I 
>>>give
>>>permission to on the domain can send as by putting the above address in 
>>>the
>>>"From:" field of their Outlook client and the external recipient will
>>>receive this and only see that it came from the do-not-reply address and 
>>>not
>>>the send on behalf of user. Also what would be the best way to block or 
>>>not
>>>receive the e-mails even if an external user does reply to it?
>>
>>The version of Exchange has a big bearing on this !
>>
>>In ESM | Global Settings you can sepecify addresses not to accept mail
>>for and you can specify to drop the messages.
>>
>>You can set up a mailbox that will receive the messages and create a
>>recipient policy to delete them daily.
>>
>>You can tell your anti spam application do the dropping before it gets
>>near an Exchange server.
>>
>>That's three and I'm sure I could think of a few more. See how you get
>>on with those.
>
> Create a DL with no members. Assign the do-not-reply@domain.com
> address to the empty DL. Give the Authenticated Users (or the
> Everyone) group "Send As" permissions on the group. Any mail addressed
> to the group will just disappear.
>
> While your at it, why not create another group named "Undisclosed
> Recipients" and put that in the "To:" header of messages to groups
> (put the /real/ recipients into the "Bcc:" header). Then when they
> unthinkingly use "Reply to all" nobody will get a message. :-)
>
> -- 
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
> MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm
> Don't send mail to this address mailto:h.pott@getronics.com
> Or to these, either: mailto:h.pott@pinkroccade.com 
> mailto:melvin.mcphucknuckle@getronics.com 
> mailto:melvin.mcphucknuckle@pinkroccade.com 

0
dlajoie (4)
4/14/2007 4:16:31 PM
Let's say that I created a mailbox for the user donotreply can send and 
recieve email.  It would certainy be possible to give other users sensas 
access to donotreply.  For inboun messages, forward to a blackhole.  A 
blackhole is a distribution group with no members.  You can set the 
forwarding in ADUC on the properties of donotreply. When a message sent to a 
distribution group, the categorizer is responsible for group expansion and 
bifurcation.  If the group is null, the message dies silently at the 
categorizer with no error or ndr.


"D-a-n_L" <dlajoie@hotmail.com> wrote in message 
news:eb5fejkfHHA.4652@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>I need to create a do-not-reply@domain.com address that any user that I 
>give permission to on the domain can send as by putting the above address 
>in the "From:" field of their Outlook client and the external recipient 
>will receive this and only see that it came from the do-not-reply address 
>and not the send on behalf of user. Also what would be the best way to 
>block or not receive the e-mails even if an external user does reply to it? 


0
John
4/15/2007 2:48:30 PM
This will work for inbound purposes however, I do not want the outbound 
e-mail header to say that it was sent on behalf of "donotreply" by "john 
doe?"

"John Fullbright" <fjohn@donotspamnetappdotcom> wrote in message 
news:OtYPj02fHHA.208@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Let's say that I created a mailbox for the user donotreply can send and 
> recieve email.  It would certainy be possible to give other users sensas 
> access to donotreply.  For inboun messages, forward to a blackhole.  A 
> blackhole is a distribution group with no members.  You can set the 
> forwarding in ADUC on the properties of donotreply. When a message sent to 
> a distribution group, the categorizer is responsible for group expansion 
> and bifurcation.  If the group is null, the message dies silently at the 
> categorizer with no error or ndr.
>
>
> "D-a-n_L" <dlajoie@hotmail.com> wrote in message 
> news:eb5fejkfHHA.4652@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>>I need to create a do-not-reply@domain.com address that any user that I 
>>give permission to on the domain can send as by putting the above address 
>>in the "From:" field of their Outlook client and the external recipient 
>>will receive this and only see that it came from the do-not-reply address 
>>and not the send on behalf of user. Also what would be the best way to 
>>block or not receive the e-mails even if an external user does reply to 
>>it?
>
> 

0
dlajoie (4)
4/16/2007 4:39:26 PM
I setup a user account with do-not-reply@domain.com e-mail address and gave 
specific users "send as" permissions and tested by sending an e-mail from 
one of those users mailboxes by putting the above address in the from field 
and it went to the external address as advertised however, hours later when 
you try it you get:

"Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.
Subject: Test
Sent: 4/13/2007 2:52 PM
The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:
Username on 4/13/2007 2:52 PM
You do not have permission to send to this recipient. For assistance, 
contact your system administrator."

"D-a-n_L" <dlajoie@hotmail.com> wrote in message 
news:eb5fejkfHHA.4652@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>I need to create a do-not-reply@domain.com address that any user that I 
>give permission to on the domain can send as by putting the above address 
>in the "From:" field of their Outlook client and the external recipient 
>will receive this and only see that it came from the do-not-reply address 
>and not the send on behalf of user. Also what would be the best way to 
>block or not receive the e-mails even if an external user does reply to it? 

0
dlajoie (4)
4/16/2007 11:06:03 PM
"D-a-n_L" <dlajoie@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I setup a user account with do-not-reply@domain.com e-mail address and gave 
>specific users "send as" permissions and tested by sending an e-mail from 
>one of those users mailboxes by putting the above address in the from field 
>and it went to the external address as advertised however, hours later when 
>you try it you get:
>
>"Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.
>Subject: Test
>Sent: 4/13/2007 2:52 PM
>The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:
>Username on 4/13/2007 2:52 PM
>You do not have permission to send to this recipient. For assistance, 
>contact your system administrator."

Sending /TO/ a recipient isn't the same as sending /AS/. Whoever
"Username" is is where the problem lies, not the permission on the
sending user.


-- 
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm
Don't send mail to this address mailto:h.pott@getronics.com
Or to these, either: mailto:h.pott@pinkroccade.com mailto:melvin.mcphucknuckle@getronics.com mailto:melvin.mcphucknuckle@pinkroccade.com
0
richnews (7316)
4/17/2007 12:35:42 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces: