Create mail-enabled users in bulk

I have several hundred users I need to create in my Active Directory
organization. I need to make them MAIL-enabled users (NOT MAILBOX-enabled
users). I can't find anything that allows me to bulk create the users and
give them the Exchange attributes necessary to define their email addresses
on the foreign mail system. Obviously, I can do it manually, but who wants to
do that for 400 user accounts?
Anyone know of a way to do this? I've got the user data and email addresses
in a spreadsheet...just can't quite get it all into AD.

Help!!

Thanks,

dave
0
DaveB8607 (68)

That is doable with a VBScript using ADSI and CDOEXM.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

"DaveB" <DaveB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have several hundred users I need to create in my Active Directory
> organization. I need to make them MAIL-enabled users (NOT MAILBOX-enabled
> users). I can't find anything that allows me to bulk create the users and
> give them the Exchange attributes necessary to define their email
> addresses
> on the foreign mail system. Obviously, I can do it manually, but who wants
> do that for 400 user accounts?
> Anyone know of a way to do this? I've got the user data and email
> addresses
> in a spreadsheet...just can't quite get it all into AD.
>
> Help!!
>
> Thanks,
>
> dave

0
curspice6401 (3487)
8/28/2006 2:25:56 AM
Check this out
http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/vbscript/vbscript_user_mailbox.htm

Oz Ozugurlu
System Engineer
MCSE 2003| M+| S+
MCDST | Security+

oz@MsExchange911.net
http://www.msexchange911.org/ (forums)
http://www.exchange911.org/cblog/index.php (Blog)

"DaveB" wrote:

> I have several hundred users I need to create in my Active Directory
> organization. I need to make them MAIL-enabled users (NOT MAILBOX-enabled
> users). I can't find anything that allows me to bulk create the users and
> give them the Exchange attributes necessary to define their email addresses
> on the foreign mail system. Obviously, I can do it manually, but who wants to
> do that for 400 user accounts?
> Anyone know of a way to do this? I've got the user data and email addresses
> in a spreadsheet...just can't quite get it all into AD.
>
> Help!!
>
> Thanks,
>
> dave
That's a nice script, but it looks like it gives me a mailBOX-enabled user. I
need to simply make a MAIL-enabled user. In other words the user account has
attributes that send email to Gmail or Hotmail or whatever, but they don't
have a mailbox on my Exchange system. Any idea how to set that up en masse?

dave

"oz@msexchange911.Nospam.org" wrote:

> Check this out
> http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/vbscript/vbscript_user_mailbox.htm

> Oz Ozugurlu
> System Engineer
> MCSE 2003| M+| S+
> MCDST | Security+
>
> oz@MsExchange911.net
> http://www.msexchange911.org/ (forums)
> http://www.exchange911.org/cblog/index.php (Blog)
>

> "DaveB" wrote:
>
> > I have several hundred users I need to create in my Active Directory
> > organization. I need to make them MAIL-enabled users (NOT MAILBOX-enabled
> > users). I can't find anything that allows me to bulk create the users and
> > give them the Exchange attributes necessary to define their email addresses
> > on the foreign mail system. Obviously, I can do it manually, but who wants to
> > do that for 400 user accounts?
> > Anyone know of a way to do this? I've got the user data and email addresses
> > in a spreadsheet...just can't quite get it all into AD.
> >
> > Help!!
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > dave
0
DaveB8607 (68)
8/28/2006 1:04:02 PM
I'm sure it is, but do you have sample code? I haven't been able to find
anything specifically related to this scenario.
dave

"Ed Crowley [MVP]" wrote:

> That is doable with a VBScript using ADSI and CDOEXM.
> --
> Ed Crowley
> MVP - Exchange
>
> "DaveB" <DaveB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have several hundred users I need to create in my Active Directory
> > organization. I need to make them MAIL-enabled users (NOT MAILBOX-enabled
> > users). I can't find anything that allows me to bulk create the users and
> > give them the Exchange attributes necessary to define their email
> > addresses
> > on the foreign mail system. Obviously, I can do it manually, but who wants
> > do that for 400 user accounts?
> > Anyone know of a way to do this? I've got the user data and email
> > addresses
> > in a spreadsheet...just can't quite get it all into AD.
> >
> > Help!!
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > dave

0
DaveB8607 (68)
8/28/2006 1:06:02 PM
To mailbox-enable a user, you use the CreateMailbox method.  To mail-enable
a user, you use the MailEnable method.  It shouldn't be too hard for you to
change the method that's actually doing the heavy lifting.  Search MSDN for
MailEnable for more information on how to use the method.
--

> That's a nice script, but it looks like it gives me a mailBOX-enabled
> user. I
> need to simply make a MAIL-enabled user. In other words the user account
> has
> attributes that send email to Gmail or Hotmail or whatever, but they don't
> have a mailbox on my Exchange system. Any idea how to set that up en
> masse?
>
> dave
>
> "oz@msexchange911.Nospam.org" wrote:
>

>> Check this out
>> http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/vbscript/vbscript_user_mailbox.htm

>> --
>> Oz Ozugurlu
>> System Engineer
>> MCSE 2003| M+| S+
>> MCDST | Security+
>>
>> oz@MsExchange911.net
>> http://www.msexchange911.org/ (forums)
>> http://www.exchange911.org/cblog/index.php (Blog)
>>

>> "DaveB" wrote:
>>
>> > I have several hundred users I need to create in my Active Directory
>> > organization. I need to make them MAIL-enabled users (NOT
>> > MAILBOX-enabled
>> > users). I can't find anything that allows me to bulk create the users
>> > and
>> > give them the Exchange attributes necessary to define their email
>> > addresses
>> > on the foreign mail system. Obviously, I can do it manually, but who
>> > wants to
>> > do that for 400 user accounts?
>> > Anyone know of a way to do this? I've got the user data and email
>> > addresses
>> > in a spreadsheet...just can't quite get it all into AD.
>> >
>> > Help!!
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > dave

0
curspice6401 (3487)

Old servers showing up in "Create an exchange mailbox" wizard.
Greetings, I have a customer who removed some Exchange 5.5 servers in an usual fashion, and as such I removed them from the ORG by using ADSIEDIT to delete them. The problem is these mailbox servers are still showing up as target options in the create a new mailbox selection wizard. How can I clear these dead and gone servers from this list? The SRS databases and ADC are long gone, and the enviornment is native mode 2003. Also I thought at one point making a server a front-end server made it not show up in this list. I see all their front-end servers in this list, so I am guess my recollectio...

Problem after e-mail server re-start
Hi, I have the prblem for OWA users to access the Exchange server every times re-started the server, and Outlook users using IMAP connection also experience delays or hangs. The following is found in the event log Source: W3SVC Event ID: 101 The server was unable to add the virtual root '/Exchange' for the directory 'M:\speedsourcing.com\MBX' due to the following error: The system cannot find the path specified. The data is the error code. From the Internet Services Manager, paths for Exchange, ExchWeb & Exadmin are all unavailable. The first two can be manually r...

Any suggestions on how to create a simple monogram?
I'm trying to create a simple monogram, and was hoping for some suggestions. Any hints would be appreciated. Thanks. Probably WordArt if you are using Publisher. There are lots of alphabets on the ClipArt site. You can ungroup them and manipulate the letters into a monogram. What initials are you using? http://office.microsoft.com/clipart/default.aspx?lc=en-us -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "cmarnett" <cmarnett@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:91315A55-2E5A-4151-8D3D-54F94785A3E4@...

Bulk Updates
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_00D5_01C38666.B1E5CF00 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----=_NextPart_001_00D6_01C38666.B1E5CF00" ------=_NextPart_001_00D6_01C38666.B1E5CF00 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi Guys, How could I update a lot of records at once? (something faster than = updating a single object crmobject.Update(xml)) I know I can go into the DB and find that field but is there a = cleaner way? Cheers, Angus=20 =20 =20 =20...

Show this folder as an e-mail Address Book #2
Hi all, I have just created a new contacts list in our public folders. When I go to all the workstations, the "Show this folder as an e-mail Address Book" is unchecked. To save me going to all workstations and checking this setting, is there some way I can set it to "Show this folder as an e-mail Address Book" automatically? Cheers Marty... ....ms... <martin@adg.com.au> wrote: > Hi all, > > I have just created a new contacts list in our public folders. > When I go to all the workstations, the "Show this folder as an e-mail > Address Book&q...

Payroll should allow concurrent builds by different users
In a company that is heavy payroll, all checks are processed in the same day but by different users for different subsets of employees. Allowing concurrent builds would be nice. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolution...

Creating a basic phone followup
I am very new to this CRM product. I have set up a letter campaign to a small group of potential customers and I'd like to create a phone call tracking list for my phone follow ups. What is the quickest/best way to achieve this? ...

batch importing of mailing lists to Excel
I've got a mailing list of around 1000 names, stored in both Word and Entourage like this: First Name Last Name <e-mail address> Once I’ve eliminated the < >, do I then have to individually copy & paste (or type) all the info in three Excel columns? Or is there a simpler solution for batch importing of mailing lists to the Excel spreadsheet? "bgsignal" wrote: > I've got a mailing list of around 1000 names, stored in both Word and > Entourage like this: First Name Last Name <e-mail address> > Once I’ve eliminated the < >, do I then ...

Combing Text with Ex. Field Name to Create A New Field Name....I Think?
Hello, I have a query that will return data from a table, and another query. Here is my question. This is an existing fuel database. It runs on a keylock system so there are keys numbered A1 to C10. The table returns a sum of fuel based on a key (for example A1). I have a set of fields from another existing query labelled DIFFA1, DIFFA2, etc. What I would like to do is return the value for "DIFFA1" when I am returning the information from Key A1. I would like to set up an expression something to the effect of: Expr1: "DIFF" & [Key] I did this and it returns the ...

Send to Remote user problem
Using Exchange 5.5 on a Win 2k server All users in the office work fine. New employee works exclusively on the road, never coming to the office. I set up the account so that the office people could email through Outlook ( obviously wrong ) to the employee's internet email account. Exchange converts the email address to the local email mail box name and nothing is sent. I know this is my error, but I need help fixing it. The SMTP addresses are User@MyDomain.com the in office mailbox and User1@msn.com the internet address I want everything sent...

Create field from append query based on linked table name
Here's the setup: Two linked tables called 'PHD' and 'XANS' bring in daily data from two CSV files. A union table-query puts the common data in both into the same name fields. This table-query is called 'SOLS_DATA_MERGE'. I then created a new table called 'SOLS_MAIN' and I ran an append query called 'SOLS_DATA_APPEND' to append the data in the table-query, 'SOLS_DATA_MERGE' into the new table, 'SOLS_MAIN'. The main reason for this was so that I could assign my data a primary key. Even though I have achieved my goal of merging the da...

how to create a phone directory on labels
I want to make a new phone direcotry list with lablels. I only want first and last name and home phone and cell phone on the list so it will fit on labels that I can put in my flip phone book. I need step by step instructions on how to do this. Thanks. Mary Jane example John Doe 310-322-1311 418-234-1234 2003 http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/publisher/CH062524751033.aspx 2007 http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/publisher/CH100502901033.aspx -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Mary Jane" <Mary Jane@disc...

ActiveX component can't create object
I am installing Dynamics 7.5 on a new dell optiplex gx620. When running forms with VBA I get the error "ActiveX component can't create object" before the window opens. And then the error continues as you use the form. I have tried copying the VBA file from other working computers with no luck. I have checked the references in the VB and all that are checked on other working machines are checked on this new Dell. Any ideas? I have 2 new dells that this is not working on I would suspect the O/S rather than the hardware. What operating system are these new machines running? ...

Mail Merge from Outlook Skips Records or doesn't merge at all
Outlook 2002 with Windows XP I set up a mail merge from Outlook with several contacts. The document seems fine, I can see all the recipients when I "view merged data" and in the "mail merge recipients" but when I complete the merge into a new document only 2 records are merged. When I switched to labels I received an error message "data records were empty or no record matched query". I've set the merge up "saving the contact data file to another document" and not saving it, neither worked. ...

User login not deleting in GP8.0
Hi have created a new user ID & given access to a company. After loggin into GP8.0 and log-off from the company, am unable to delete this above created user . A message is displayed saying "Cannot drop login as the user is currently logged in. Am using the 'sa' as the user when deleting. This is not true as user activity table is clear, other than the final user sa. From the backend, on delete of user from GP (Tools>System>User), only user ID is deled from each of the Databases, but the SQL login remains in the security folder. Hi Un check the SQL options in ...

How to create first sheet as a list of names of remaining sheets?
I want the first sheet to be a TOC of sorts with one column that is the list of sheet names for the remaining sheets. Hi Datanull, You might look at David McRitchie's 'Build Table of Contents' page at: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/buildtoc.htm --- Regards, Norman <datanull@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1117217081.633053.269190@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com... >I want the first sheet to be a TOC of sorts with one column that is the > list of sheet names for the remaining sheets. > or... My Excel add-in "Excel Extras" -Table o...

Junk Mail Filter Update
I just installed the latest Update for Outlook 2003 Junk-Email Filter (KB956077) thought Windows Update (Vista Home Premium) and now my Junk mail filter isn't working at all. What do I need to do to get it back working? Thanks I also had a problem after installing this - plus a few other updates from Windows. My problem was different - none of my Office 2003 applications would start up! To recover I used the System Restore utility ( Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | System Restore ) and restored my system to the point just before the updates were applied. Try it ...

Creating PDF from Publisher 2007
I have Publisher 2007, and need to create a PDF file to upload to my company website. The file is approx. 40 pages and I want to have the bookmarks usable in the PDF format. I have the PDf converter download, but no access to Acrobat. Is it possible to have the bookmarks I created in Publisher carried over to the PDF file with the simple plug-in converter provided from Microsoft? You've posted your question in the wrong group. This group is dedicated to Microsoft Access. You should repost in microsoft.public.publisher -- _________ Sean Bailey "Beth" wrote: > I h...

Auto dialer occurs when receiving html mail
I am using OL2000 and have been having some trouble with the autodialer coming up when I just click on a message sent to me that has what I assume is HTML. The problem is that if that message is the most recent message in my inbox then when OL auto connects on its regular hourly schedule my mail delivery fails. The other problem is I don't want to auto connect to the web every time I select that particular type of message. Any suggestions? Hi Michelle, look under TOOLS | OPTIONS | MAIL SETUP send immediately when connected deaktivate under that option you have the dial up opti...

distribution lists sending out multiple mails
Hi, This a rather odd problem. My client has a distribution list setup with about 50 members. Sometimes when he sends an e-mail through the list some of the members receive 5 of the same e-mail. This does not happen to all of the members, only some of them. And the results are not consistent with everytime he sends an e-mail through the list. Just wondering if anyone has seen this. Possibly it's a problem on the recipients end. Any ideas? I am experiencing the same problem in Outlook 2003 with messages sen from a bcc list. Did you receive any answers that might be helpful t...

Web-based Outlook bug: Cannot open mail when the subject field ends with a . (dot) character
From web-based Outlook, you cannot open any mail with the subject field ends with "." (dot) character. Outlook web will return HTTP 404: The page cannot be found. It's URLScan doing this. See http://support.microsoft.com/?id=325965 -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP For Exchange news, links and tips, check: http://www.msexchangeblog.com "Ken Jones" <ken888j@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:bb0d99.0406161345.6e30c8f@posting.google.com... > From web-based Outlook, you cannot open any mail with the subject > field ends with "." (dot) character. > &...

activate/deactivate macro depending on who's the user
in my office we have a shared drived folder that is used by different users,we store excel worksheets in the shared folder. Each user have to log in to the PC with a different ID to start using the it. I need a macro to automatically hide/unhide rows in the excel worksheet depending on who the user is. How should i write the macro? Please help. Hi Anna This should get you started Sub UnHideCols() Dim user As String user = Environ("Username") With Sheets("Sheet1") ' you have to leave at least 1 column visible on a sheet '...

Excel User Conference update
Just wanted to thank Bill Jelen (Mr Excel - MrExcel.com) and Joseph Rubin (ExcelTip.com) for donating books. The books will be given away as door prizes at the conference. The next ten people that register for the conference will be entered into a drawing for Bill Jelen's "Pivot Table Data Crunching". The copy will be presented to the lucky winner at the event. Pivot Table Data Crunching * By Bill Jelen, Michael Alexander. * Published by Que. ISBN: 0789734354; Published: Jun 21, 2005; Copyright 2005 http://www.mrexcel.com/pivottablebook.shtml -- Damon Lon...

Mail-merge for e-mail
When using the mail-merge functions in order to send personalized e-mails to each of the students (e.g. how each did in his/her exam, what individual grade they obtained, which questions they answered wrongly, etc.), I set up an Excel spreadsheet that has each of the fields I need. The process works very well all the way to what appears to be the last, or next to the last step. That is, I get to review the individual e-mails, they look fine, and I get to enter the e-mail's subject. But, when I finally click on Ok to submit the e-mail, it does not perform the function. In one instance, I sa...

Sending e-mails on the correct server for the Hotmail system
I can no longer use http to send e-mails. what can I do to line up with what my computer will allow to send e-mails to other servers Windows Mail, this email client which this newsgroup supports until = group closure, does not support the http protocol(currently=20 called DeltaSync for Hotmail accounts) - you have three options for Hotmail type accounts(Live.com, = Hotmail.com, Msn.com and similar derivatives of the same domaian e.g.=20 live.uk.com, live.nl etc) 1. Windows Live Mail 2. Outlook 2003 and greater and only with the Outlook Hotmail Connector = installed 3. Browser acce...