I've noticed that Outlook 2003 clients can have multiple TCP
connections to the mailbox store on Exchange.  As the following web
link claims:

http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/ArticleID/46319/46319.html

"This behavior is by design. Outlook can open multiple connections to
parallelize its data communications with the Exchange server. The
actual number of connections will vary according to the version of
Outlook that you're using and the mode in which you're using it. For
Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 in Cached Exchange Mode, you'll see four
connections for the mailbox, plus additional connections for public
folders (including referrals to other public folder servers) and one or
more connections to the directory server."

I'm wondering if there's anyway of controlling the number of
connections, or disabling the multiple connections feature.  Is there
any info on configuring this feature?

Thanks,
Alfred

0
alandrum (1)

I'm not sure if you can control the number of connections, but I know you
can control the ports they connect on.

This article shows how to statically assign ports in Outlook 2003.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;833799

This article shows how to statically assign ports in Exchange 2000 or
Exchange 2003.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;270836

If there is a way to reduce the number of ports used, it is beyond my
knowledge, unless you use RPC over HTTP.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;833401

Hope this helps.

"Jeremy Church" <trombone79@juno.com> wrote:

>I'm not sure if you can control the number of connections, but I know you
>can control the ports they connect on.

Well, that really only controls the port numbers assigned to the GUIDs
that are registered with the RPC port mapper. The clients will ask the
port mapper (on port 135) for the port number assigned to a particular
service. They'll make the initial connection on that port number and
then use another port number for the actual tranfers.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Outlook Sales

Outlook 2002 (office xp developer suite)

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

Moving from Outlook Express to Outlook

WCF Client serialization problem

mouse highlighting webbrowser control
Hi, I'm using the webbrowser control. Mouse highligting isn't working (ie. pressing and holding the left mouse button, moving over the items/text to highlight and releasing). Is this something I have to implement manually or is there another reason why this isn't working? Thanks, Craig ...

how to find an item in a list control?

MS POS = RMS? Also, SQL Connectivity...

cannot open hyper links in outlook

will CRM load on a 2003 server?