Confirming the existence of the sender's mailbox.

While trying to streamline the way our old but reliable Exchange server
communicates with the outside world, primarily to reduce the number of
rejections we've been getting of late (from AOL and other big ISPs with
aggressive rejection policies), our web hosting provider suggested that
it would be nice if the mail server confirmed the existence of the
sender's mailbox when queried.

Could anyone tell me if this is possible under Exchange 5.5, and how to
go about it?

0
mwalsh (1)

On 10 Apr 2006 15:26:23 -0700, "mwalsh@smad.com" <mwalsh@smad.com>
wrote:

>While trying to streamline the way our old but reliable Exchange server
>communicates with the outside world, primarily to reduce the number of
>rejections we've been getting of late (from AOL and other big ISPs with
>aggressive rejection policies), our web hosting provider suggested that
>it would be nice if the mail server confirmed the existence of the
>sender's mailbox when queried.
>
>Could anyone tell me if this is possible under Exchange 5.5, and how to
>go about it?

You would need 3rd party software to do that in 5.5.

0
adavid (8731)
4/10/2006 11:38:38 PM
I can't imagine that is a good idea as it would seem to be an excellent
means for spammers to harvest your email addresses. I'm not aware of any way
to accomplish that.

Nue
<mwalsh@smad.com> wrote in message
> While trying to streamline the way our old but reliable Exchange server
> communicates with the outside world, primarily to reduce the number of
> rejections we've been getting of late (from AOL and other big ISPs with
> aggressive rejection policies), our web hosting provider suggested that
> it would be nice if the mail server confirmed the existence of the
> sender's mailbox when queried.
>
> Could anyone tell me if this is possible under Exchange 5.5, and how to
> go about it?

0
imaneophyte (3004)
4/10/2006 11:41:10 PM
On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 19:38:38 -0400, Andy David - MVP
<adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote:

>On 10 Apr 2006 15:26:23 -0700, "mwalsh@smad.com" <mwalsh@smad.com>
>wrote:
>
>>While trying to streamline the way our old but reliable Exchange server
>>communicates with the outside world, primarily to reduce the number of
>>rejections we've been getting of late (from AOL and other big ISPs with
>>aggressive rejection policies), our web hosting provider suggested that
>>it would be nice if the mail server confirmed the existence of the
>>sender's mailbox when queried.
>>
>>Could anyone tell me if this is possible under Exchange 5.5, and how to
>>go about it?
>

>You would need 3rd party software to do that in 5.5.

oh and BTW, I assume you mean not accpeting mail for any SMTP address
that doesnt exist in your org when external senders send mail to you.
Doing that is a good thing.

If however, you meant something else, please clarify.
0
adavid (8731)

exchange 2003 mailbox can't read new mail
Hi all I have a problame - My Exchange 2003 sp2 hase started to get mail but i can't see the mail , Ihave chacked the mailbox DB' IT IS OK, I did disasterrecovery, but the problam is the same, i can see old mail but not the new mails ? What can it be ? ???? <@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi all > I have a problame - My Exchange 2003 sp2 hase started to get mail but > i can't see the mail , Ihave chacked the mailbox DB' IT IS OK, I did > disasterrecovery, but the problam is the same, i can see old mail but > not the new mails ? > What can it be...

E2K3
We currently have a mixed mode environment with Exchange 5.5 on NT 4.0 and Exchange 2003 on Windows 2000. We have completed the migration of our mailboxes and public folders to E2K3 and are in the process of decommissioning our 5.5 Site. We have a policy setup on our mail stores to send a warning when a user reaches 95MB and to prohibit sending at 100MB. We also have standards in place regarding the storage group/mail store location of our users on the E2K3 servers. The first problem we are experiencing is ESM is reporting a mailbox size that is significantly larger than what Outlook 2002 ...

Problem with IMF and Safe sender list
I don't know where can I create a Safe sender list that affect to all the users in the Exchange Organization ? Could you help me ? Thanks in advance Safe Sender list at the mailbox level does not operate at the SCL threshold set at the Gateway level. Safe Sender is only applicable to the mailbox SCL threshold. The link from the document provided by Microsoft states the following. http://www.nemx.com/products/powertools/ExchangeIMF.asp =====From the Microsoft Exchange IMF Deployment Guide===== "An administrator sets two thresholds that determine ho...

rpc server not available by re-associating mailbox account
hi i have an exchange 2003 in a windows 2003 child domain. we have a branch office, it had windows NT4 and now it was upgraded from NT to windows 2003 als child domain in our forest (now trust between our domains) Before this,we create account and mailbox for people of this domain in our Domain (no trust betwen us) in order to use Exchange (dual account ,one by us to have an mailbxo with it and one local in their domain) Now i dont need anymore to have this and i want to associate the local AD-account instead of the account we created in our domain with the mailbox. so i thougt follow...

2 existing spreadsheets show 1st line rather than header row to sort ...
(XL2003) This is odd, I haven't seen this ever before. I was working on spreadsheets yesterday for a mail merge. Two had headers rows. I cleaned up both documents, put print area and then tried to sort. In both cases, what came up in the sort was the first row below the header where one always sees the actual titles of the header row when one selects the Header Row radio button under "My List Has" in the "Sort" box. I fiddled and fiddled a bit and managed to get one of the workbooks to display the sort properly by the header row titles - without figuring out what ...

Mailbox Management Policies on Inbox subfolders
I have a mailbox that I need to set a policy on to delete any messages over two days old. Now, targeting the inbox itself is easy - I figured that out. The problem is that there is a subfolder under the inbox called "good stuff" that I want to clean out. I can't figure out how to set up the Management policy to hit this subfoder. I can't use the "All other Mail Folders" box because that seems to target everything. I need to specifically clean out this Good Stuff folder. Deleted Items and the main inbox both have anything over 2 days removed, which is by...

Blocking SMTP on primary mailbox?
Hello Exch 2k3 AD 2k3 mixed I am thinking about blocking SMTP on my primary mailbox server with the exception of our AD servers and MX gateway. I recently was approached by a developer who was having problems with an app smtp'ing directly to our primary mail server. Apparently they were trying SMTP servers at random :x So i would like to restrict SMTP traffic. I set a list of IP's in the connections area under system manager > server > protocol > smtp. Are there any major concerns with taking this action or is there a better way to do it? thanks e- I'd sugg...

Restoring a single mailbox into Exchange 2000 SP3 environment.
I perform nightly ntbackups of our entire information store. In the past I would restore the entire information store to a test clone Exchange environment server and then open the mailbox required using Outlook and export the mailbox to a pst, and then import that pst into the exiting production mailbox using outlook again. As you all probably know with a 23gig information store this is horribly time consuming, and it drives me nuts. Can someone provide me an alternative solution to this? On Wed, 24 May 2006 09:57:54 -0400, "frank s" <SFDSFDSF@SFSDFDSFSA.COM> wrote: ...

Blocked senders list #3
When I add senders to my blocked senders list, the next time I open Outlook, there is nothing in my blocked senders list. I have went into my registry under Current Users/Identities/Outlook Express/Rules and deleted the Rules folder with the understanding that it will be rebuilt. This however hasn't fixed the Blocked senders list. Is there something else I need to do? I'm a novice on my computer. Any help would be welcome! Thanks Kris ...

Prevent User to grant mailbox access permission
Hi, there, By default, in Outlook user can grant other user access permission to his/her mailbox folder. But, our company doesn't want this. Is there anyway to prevent user to grant access permission to his/her own mailbox and sub- folders? Any input is much appreciated. David ...

TransferText
Is there a way to have table or query exported out to a text file and APPEND to what is already in the text file instead of overwrite? Please advise. Thank you. "Brig Siton" <bnospamsiton@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:e0wzJZZ1KHA.5328@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Is there a way to have table or query exported out to a text file and > APPEND to what is already in the text file instead of overwrite? TransferText will always overwrite the target file. If you still want to use TransferText, you can export to a temporary file, then use one of seve...

Recover mailbox store to a standby Exchange 2000 server
Can I recover mailbox stores to a standby (non production) server?? Is there is any article i can follow?? Both sorce and destination servers are Win2K and E2K EE Post SP3. On Sun, 7 Jan 2007 04:10:01 -0800, Feras Mustafa <FerasMustafa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Can I recover mailbox stores to a standby (non production) server?? Is there >is any article i can follow?? Both sorce and destination servers are Win2K >and E2K EE Post SP3. https://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&familyid=6e55dd49-8a6c-4f30-947e-bde95917f585 ...

duplicate junk folders in Exchange mailboxes
Hi, Some of the users of our Exchange 2003 (RTM) suddenly startet to find a duplicate Junk Email Folder with a "1" at the end (something like "Junk Email1", though it's a localized version of Exchange so it's not in English). I have read some issues leading to duplicate folders but all seem to be related to the Outlook client, which is not used in our case (all accesses to these accounts with duplicate folders are done through OWA). I tried to connect to these accounts with Outlook 2003 with different command-line switches (like /ResetFolders, etc.) but with...

Sorting messages by sender
I've recently changed from using Outlook 2003 on an old Celeron PC running Win 2k, to a new P4 machine with XP. On the old set-up, I could click on the 'From' column header to sort messages in a mail folder by sender, then start typing the name of the sender to quickly take me to the messages from that person. This was very useful and I used this feature regularly, although it only seemed to work for the first three characters of the name, the fourth character entered would then take the cursor to the first instance of a name beginning with this letter. This was fine as the firs...

Strange problem with some contact names / email senders
Hello! I have a strange Outlook problem which is really annyoing me at the moment! I added someone to my contacts but whenever i reply to their email they're name isn't automatically filled in as it does with other people's email. Also, if i Create a New email message, it never auto-completes their name. (ie if info@babylon-webmaster.fsnet.co.uk is in my contacts under 'Babylon', sends me an email and i reply to it "To: " reads "Babylon <info@babylon- webmaster.fsnet.co.uk>", but for this contact "To:" only ever displays their ...

How to Edit the Macro that exists behind an existing Command Butto
Hi There, Hoping someone can help me out ... I have inherited the task of managing an Access 2007 application. Within this application I have an Access 2007 form that has a Command Button. I'm not sure how this Command Button was created (Macro, Query, etc.) but I do know what it does. I would like to edit the Query/Macro this Command Button executes. I'd rather not edit the VBA coding as I am a VBA Beginner. Can you pleae let me know how I can edit the Command Button's Query/Macro. Thank you, Jason A command button can run a macro or a VB event proce...

Some Inbound Messages Bounce Back to Sender
This is a 5.5 SP4 environment on Windoe NT 4.0 Sp6a. Some messages from various domains bounce back to sender with an NDR report: Subject: Undeliverable Mail Delivery failed 7 attempts: <recipient>@<mydomain.com> OR Subject: Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender This message was created automatically by mail delivery software. A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed: <recipient>@<mydomain.com> retry time not reached for any host after a long failu...

my name appears instead of the sender's, but only in my inbox
I have Outlook 2003 and all of a sudden, any incoming email that enters my Inbox, displays only who the email is to (usually me) instead of who it's from. For example: if I receive an email from my friend Tim Highfield, in the Inbox column, there should be a message header which has the envelope icon and "Tim Highfield" next to it, with the subject underneath, and the date on the far right. But instead of "Tim Highfield", my name appears instead! Or more precisely, the name of the person Tim sent it to, namely me. But what is equally weird is that when I move the...

Importing Data into Existing Pivot Tables ?
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to *import data into an existin pivot table *(possibly from a excel spreadsheet(refresh) or with query to a Access database table) **I need to do this daily with pivot table if possible ! Thanks in advance ! J -- jman55 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- jman559's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2945 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=49157 ...

Existing 98 files unreadable with XP...suddenly
I just updated to XP and reinstalled my publisher 98. the files that i have made previously will not open now, saying it's a new version, but it's the same! and I NEED my files, my letterhead, etc. I don't want to make them all over again. How come they won't open...Help!! Try this: Right-click a Publisher file, properties, opens with... change, browse to Publisher. Works sometimes... -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/clipart/ http://www.mvps.org/msauer/getting_started.htm news://msnews.microsoft.com "Chelle" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.c...

Mailbox not Synchronizing
I set-up an existing user on another computer, the user has couple dozen folders in her inbox. The folders are listed now but the data is not synchronizing. After pressing send/receive the data on the server does not sync with the client. How do I resolve this problem? Is the user using cached mode? It may take a little while before the messages start to show up - but it really shouldn't take too long. Are both profiles using MAPI to connect to the Exchange Server? I'd probably blow away the profile and create a new one if I didn't see data showing up within about 15 min...

Exchange 2007
I've been running the Exchange 2007 evaluation. On one of my configurations my messages weren't getting through so I tried to look at the mailbox size and the users connected. And I can't find how to do this in the graphical admin interface. I've asked some of my collegues and they don't know how to do it either. Am I missing something here? One of the first things I do on when arriving on a customer site is to check out the list of mailboxes and who is connected and I can't figure out how to do it on Exchange 2007. powershell get-mailboxstatistics will get y...

Configure outlook w/ existing email
I just installed Office 2003, and need my existing e-mail account to be accessed through Outlook, instead of having to go through my ISP's site. Any help will be appreciated. "Mark" <mark@gvtc.com> wrote in message news:097901c3b9a2$0ae55cb0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > I just installed Office 2003, and need my existing e-mail > account to be accessed through Outlook, instead of having > to go through my ISP's site. Any help will be appreciated. Do you mean you have been accessing email via the web? >-----Original Message----- >"Mark" <mark@...

Adding interest payments to existing IRA accounts
I can not find location to add monthly interest payments to my IRA accounts. I am NOT adding investment money just interest. This is a very frustrating unfriendly program to try and use especially since there appears to be no book to go along with it. Quickbooks is a terrific program but does not allow household and business dual applications. Anyone have any other suggestions? Assuming the IRA is setup as an investment cash account, enter a transaction for Investment Income:Interest or similar category. If it's from, say, a money market fund that's setup as a investment and is...

Delete mailbox and keep Active Directory account?
We are using Exchange 200 along with Active Directory. Is there an way to delete the mailbox for ex-employees and still keep the Active Directory account? If not, then is there a way to basically delete all the contents of the mailbox? I have already exported the contents of these mailboxes to CD so there is no need to keep them, 53 mailboxes and 2.5GB of email. It would be great to find a solution for this so this data isn't being backed up. I know if I delete the Active Directory account the mailbox should disappear in 30 days but company policy won't let me delete the A...