configuration error in the e-mail system caused the message to bounce between two servers

Can someone tell me why my exchange 2003 server received this error message.

We only installed the first exchange server.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------aren.hnung@xyz.com
on Thu, 30 Jun 2005 21:47:09 -0400

A configuration error in the e-mail system caused the message to bounce
between two servers or to be forwarded between two recipients.

Contact your administrator.

<mail01.zyz.com #5.3.5>

jason8895 (3)

"Jason" <jason@dswebmail.com> wrote:

>Can someone tell me why my exchange 2003 server received this error message.

A DNS problem? A misconfigured SMTP Virtual Server?

I think your server's trying to send mail to itself. :)

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Why don't the exchange reply erro message say "Non existing email address or
wrong email address"?

> "Jason" <jason@dswebmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Can someone tell me why my exchange 2003 server received this error
>>message.
>
> A DNS problem? A misconfigured SMTP Virtual Server?
>
> I think your server's trying to send mail to itself. :)
>
> --
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

jason8895 (3)
7/1/2005 4:38:42 AM
"Jason" <jason@dswebmail.com> wrote:

>If someone send an email to a wrong email address on the wrongemail@xyz.com
>, I will receive those error message.  if someone send to a
>goodemail@xyz.com , the email will be able to deliver correctly.

Why would you receive the NDR? Have you instructed the SMTP Virtual
Server to send a copy of the NDR to a mailbox in your domain? Or did
you try to send a copy of the NDR to a Contact that has an address in
your doman? Or do you have something that you've added to the server
that tries to deal with badly addressed mail?

>Why don't the exchange reply erro message say "Non existing email address or
>wrong email address"?

The NDR in that case would state that the recipient address doesn't
exist. IIRC, the error codes would be "550 5.2.1".

The behavior you're describing isn't the default behavior. Without
your making any changes, badly addressed messages are returned to the
originator and they don't cause this sort of problem.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Reading SQL Server Extended Properties

Reporting from Project Server

What's the rootname appearing in System Manager
Hello, I am looking at a SBS server in a domain called "whatever.nl", with a computername "win2003". When I open the System Manager, the top element is called "MAILSERVER (Exchange)". Is this a default name, or something chosen during installation of Exchange? Also, when I open Server Management, under advanced management there's a node for the Exchange System Manager, however the name is "First Organization (Exchange)". When I highlight it, the name changes to "MAILSERVER (Exchange)". Is that normal? -M Hi, the name of the to...

Voice connector on Exchange server 2007.

Document Viewer installer error

CSV Files and VLOOKUP error

message delivery problems

Error 550 Relaying denied

will CRM load on a 2003 server?

errror message
error message: the selected assistant character is not available. microsoft outlook cannot install the neccessary files due to windows installer error 1605. this action is only valid for products that are currently installed. anyone please advise? ...

CListCtrl/CImageList. Redraw causes images to load incorrectly.
I have a derived class of CListCtrl that has a CImageList member variable along with a member function called DrawImageList() that is meant to dynamically build an image list from paths that are contained in a column. It works when the dialog is initialized, however when I add something to the listctrl(which then calls DrawImageList) the ordering of the images is unpredicatable. This is thoroughly confusing for me.... void CMyListCtrl::DrawImageList() { //Clean out the current image list and create a new one //based on whats currently in the list control SetRedraw(FALSE); ...