Compression ratio for typical Exchange2k installation

Does anyone have any real-world compression ratios for how well
Exchange2k compresses its mail database? Assume a normal flow of mail
(well, "normal" is a bit vague, but you get the idea). The database is
around 10GB.

0
dap99 (10)

dap99@i-55.com wrote in news:g027305pd0ohci9cte0kadp1m6jhf0l4u1@4ax.com:

> Does anyone have any real-world compression ratios for how well
> Exchange2k compresses its mail database? Assume a normal flow of mail
> (well, "normal" is a bit vague, but you get the idea). The database is
> around 10GB.

I don't think you can really guess on this. It depends entirely on
attachments, mail volume, and amount of users. If someone does have some
ratios I'd be interested as well.

Regards,

--
Arlo Clizer
Exchange MVP

You can see the Single Instance Storage ratio in Performance monitor.  It
totally depends on how many jokes (large messages) are sent locally to mass
groups - the more people/groups included on the To line the better the
ratio.  This will decline as one user keeps the old joke and everyone else
deletes it.  This is described in the below article.

XADM: Single Instance Storage Ratio is Low
ID: 198673

--
Hope that helps,
Dan Townsend

"Arlo Clizer [MVP]" <aclizer@online.pullman.com> wrote in message
> dap99@i-55.com wrote in news:g027305pd0ohci9cte0kadp1m6jhf0l4u1@4ax.com:
>
> > Does anyone have any real-world compression ratios for how well
> > Exchange2k compresses its mail database? Assume a normal flow of mail
> > (well, "normal" is a bit vague, but you get the idea). The database is
> > around 10GB.
>
> I don't think you can really guess on this. It depends entirely on
> attachments, mail volume, and amount of users. If someone does have some
> ratios I'd be interested as well.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Arlo Clizer
> Exchange MVP
> FAQ: http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm
> Archives: http://groups.google.com

0
dtown (976)

OWA stops on one node after the installation
Hi all, I am facing a problem in my Exchange 2003 Cluster setup after installing Exchange SP2. After the installation, OWA has stopped working on one of the Cluster node. When I failover cluster group to node1 it works perfectly fine. But when i move the group to node2 the OWA doesn't work there. I always get the below error in my internet explorer and the page shows loading and then it stucks but i can see the left pane buttons (Inbox, Outbox etc..) Line:1019 Char:1 Error: Invalid procedure call or arguement URL: http://server.exchange.com/exchweb/6.5.7638.1/controls/ctrl_view.htc...

Internet e-mail service is not installed properly
Hi On loading, a dialog appears: "Internet e-mail service is not installed properly. Please re-install Outlook and specify the 'Corporate or workgroup E-mail service." Then, on OK, a second dialog appears: "The MAPI spooler has shut down unexpectedly. Close all mail enabled applications before attempting to log on again". On OK, Outlook does not respond, and can only be closed. Have tried to re-boot; repair; un- and re-install, but to no avail. Any help will be highly appreciated. Running Norton Anti Virus; Thx ...

CRM Trial Installation Software
Is there a trial version of CRM for Small Bus Server Standard Edition, and step-by-step install instructions available? Also, my hardware: SBS 2003 Standard with SP1 (1) Xeon 2.8 GHz cpu 2 GB RAM Is this adequate for CRM? Does CRM require SQL server or does it install one on SBS? Any pointers and pitfalls would be appreciated. Thanks Marc http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=7d418781-69ad-422d-92fa-87fdb2538e2c&DisplayLang=en Not sure if there is a Small Biz version bnut this should work. It requires SQL server but you can probably find a trial of that as wel...

WDS 3.01 Won't install
WDS 3.01 Won't install at all Running XP SP2 and recently installed Office 2007 (haven't uninstalled office 2003 yet). Outlook 2007 wants the WDS application for instant search. I downloaded 3.01 and ran the install. It extracted all the files and went about a fifth of the way through the process (according to the progress bars) and then stopped. After about a minute it reported "Necessary update failed to install. Refer to C:\Windows|KB17013.log." Looking at the log file indicates installation failed because: INF_REGISTRY Failed Another log file created at the same...

Fatal Error during install
I get through the CRM Server install, but at the last moment while the system is wrapping up, the following error occurs: ----- "Fatal Error" Installation ended prematurely because of an error. ----- Three databases are created and the web files are copied to the root. Any thoughts on why the installation doesn't complete? Thanks. --Ed Fatal Error during install - More info: The CRM server is on a different box than the SQL server. CRM: Windows 2000, SP3 SQL: Windows 2000, SP3, SQL 2000 Standard, SP3 I have read that there may be an issue with SQL Server SP3, but...

Compression to Drive on SCDPM 2010?
Is there Compression when backing up to a Drive? My data source "Size on disk" on the System I am backing up a folder from is much smaller when on the Drive I am backing up to. -- David This is not supported, the best way to achieve compression is by compressing the files which need to be protected. Thanks, Praveen D [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "David Baur" <DavidBaur@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:49E87CEE-F5D2-4027-A756-57273D3DA751@microsoft.com... > Is the...

SBS 2003 messed up after sp3 install
Hello all, Well I decided to reinstall SBS2003 Premium on my server. Backups of exchange failed due to I don't know what. The install went OK for a while no errors other then the intranet web site was unable to be created. I have to create it. My big problem was that Exchange would not operate properally. It set up the mailboxes and everyone could get to the new mailboxes but we could not send or receive outside emails. Internal is OK. ran CEICW many time with changes each time. looked at the ISA rules and all seemed ok. Could telnet into the mail server and send email to an...

Outlook 2003 installing problem
I have been trying to make Outlook my default mail browser. I completed all of the forms, and all of the boxes got ticked. But when a test mail was sent - it came in to Outlook Express. No way can I get mail to come in to Outlook. I had stopped Express being my default. A friend has been having the same problem. Can anyone help, please? -- A greyhound is for life - not just for racing. Have you removed the mail account from Outlook Express? Why have Outlook Express open if you are setting Outlook as your default? -- Kathleen Orland - MVP Outlook Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.n...

Scripted font installer issue with Window 7
From various sources including this newgroup, I have pieced together a font install scritp that runs as a call from our login script. (code is below) The fonts to be installed are in a folder and the script checks for the file name in the Font folder. If it does not exist, the font is copied in and installed. Works fine on the XP machines but the Windows 7 machines have added an interesting twist. The font gets installed but the file gets renamed. But only on some fonts. I have two questions. 1) Does anyone know why or can direct me to a better location to ask why the file is auto...

Microsoft outlook 2003 keep wanting to install "MS outlook feature"
There is one machine that it keeps prompting me to install "MS outlook 2003 feature" when i started my outlook after each after each computer power shutdown. once it got installed (with full admin rights, they're fine but when you turn the computer off and then restart it back up, it prompts you for the original installer file (the .msi file) this user is running MS office 97 except for outlook which is 2003. ideas/thoughts? ...

How to install exchange MMC on workstation
How do I install the Exchange MMC on my workstation? I have tried copying exadmin.dll from my exchange server to my workstation and then tried regsvr32 exadmin.dll from the folder that copied exadmin.dll to but I get this error: LoadLibrary("exadmin.dll") failed - the spedified module could not be found. What am I doing wrong? Thanks, David H See my previous reply. I've already indicated how you do this. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP "David H" <dhigginbotham@hazenandsawyer.com> wrote in message news:uuWyCvJ2EHA.1408@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > How do ...

2 installations of CRM in one domain
Will it be possible to have 2 installations of CRM in one domain? What are the possible errors or conflicts? We are developing customizations in CRM and we want to have a crm installation for developers and one for testers. Is this ok? Thanks! Hi, You can install CRM within one domain. There is no problem with that. Its a best practise to create an OU for each installation though. Installing on the same server is not possible. Kind regards, -- Ronald Lemmen - MSCRM MVP Avanade Netherlands http://ronaldlemmen.blogspot.com/ "KitKat" wrote: > Will it be possible to have 2...

Desktop Client Installation
I have sucessfully upgraded to CRM 3.0 but unfortunately I am having problems installing the Desktop Client. It keeps telling me that the CRM server cannot be located. I tried changing the CRM location (http://<servername>, http://<ipaddress>, etc.) and nothing works. I have no problems working in the web client. Any ideas? Danielle I just tried installing again using the port number for the CRM site - still no luck. Here's the exact error message" "Setup cannot connect to the Microsoft CRM server. This might indicate that the server is down." &qu...

KB976570 failed install error 0x66A
I'm running Windows XP Version 2002 Service Pack 3, and have been having problems installing the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2 Update for Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB976570). It fails to install in Windows update. When I try to install it without Windows Update, I get a message that says I don't have any of the appropriate software installed. The Error Code is 0x66A. Can anyone help me fix this problem? Is an Optional, non-security update. Feel free to hide it. David wrote: > I'm running Windows XP Version 2002 Service Pack 3, and hav...

Install CRM & SQL on same server
I know it's not recommended, but it is possible. Anyone experience performance issues or any other issues related to having the two installed on the same server? Thanks, Chris It is the default install for MS CRM SBE running on Microsoft Small Business Server.. -- Anne Stanton, MVP-CRM, MBA/ACC President The Norwich Group http://www.thenorwichgroup.com http://thenorwichgroup.blogs.com "Chris Hedlund" <chrishedlund@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:O4UmvratGHA.3552@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... >I know it's not recommended, but it is possible. Anyone experien...

Problems While Installing Java
Hello: I have been trying to download and install java on my computer. After I install the program I get a message stating Java has been installed sucessfullly. I restart my computer. When I go to open the Java icon on desktop It is prompting to reinstall Java all over agian. I have gone to add and remove programs and successfully remove the program from there. But going back to desk top the Java icon is still there and after opening it it continues to start the installation process again. I have gone through these steps several times and have tried Revo uninstallatio...

Installing Publisher 2007 trial
I downloaded Publisher 2007 trial copy. When I try to start it, I get the message Windows cannot open this file: File: setup.stf To open this file, Windows needs to know what program created it. I tried using Web service to find appropriate program. They did not fix it. Since it says Office Publisher, do you have to have Microsoft Office installed on your computer. I have Publisher 2002 and do not need Office. Could someone please help me. Have you ever had Publisher 98 installed? The file is a 98 remnant. Find the file on your computer, drag it to a different folder. See if you can...

Print Visio file without having Visio installed
How do I communicate a Visio file to somebody that does not have Visio installed? I want to allow others to print the file without reduced quality. When printing to pdf-format, the quality degrades and when inserting into Word I can't get the background page to show. have you considered HTML (they could use the browser) or the Visio Viewer? Al "Pete" <Pete@nomail.com> wrote in message news:dAbKb.52$jR.50@news.get2net.dk... > How do I communicate a Visio file to somebody that does not have Visio > installed? > > I want to allow others to print the file witho...

Can't install update KB9532957...see below message for particulars
I STILL can't install: Microsoft.NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 Security Update for Windows XP (etc) and Windows Server 2008 R2 ( KB953297 ) More and more system blocks and failures are occuring... PLEASE HELP !!! Many thanks in advance! See the "How to obtain help" section of http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953297 For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY (and/or 1-866-234-6020 and/or 1-800-936-5700) in the United States and in Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft subsidiary. There is no-charge for support c...

Can't opening crm in braowser after installing.
Hi, if have installed crm on a server 2003 with sql2005,exchnage2003. The user i installed have domainadministrator access. After installation i can't open crm in the internet explorer. A popup shows which says: activate user dataset. What should I do now. Everything is correct installed, but after the installation I can't go into the crm...???? What should I do now? I hope someone have a solution for me. regards, Michael Hi Karsten, I'm not familiar with the "activate user dataset" message, but I'd like to ask more about your installation - did you point yo...

MS Update offline installer
We use a non-MS deployment tool at my company and I would like to use it to push out Microsoft Update agent to all our computers. We don't have a WSUS and our systems come imaged from Dell so most do not have MS Update only Windows update. As a result our office installs are very out of date. Does anyone know a way to get an executable installer for MS Update that I can run with a batch file on our PCs? ...

Installing Exchange 2003 into an organisation with Exchange 2000 and 2007
Morning, Is it possible to install Exchange 2003 into an existing organisation which already has Exchange 2000 and 2007? ADPREP has been run for both 200 and 2007, does it need run again for 2003? Is there anything else I need to be aware of if this is supported? On 3/18/2010 3:24 AM, Andrew Story wrote: > Morning, > > Is it possible to install Exchange 2003 into an existing organisation which > already has Exchange 2000 and 2007? > > ADPREP has been run for both 200 and 2007, does it need run again for 2003? > Is there anything else I need to be aw...

\Windows\Installer purged after partition restore
After doing a format and restore (using a program that preserves time stamps and short file names) of a Windows XP partition, the first instance of any windows upgrade or driver upgrade (or re-isntall) will end up deleteing all existing files and folders in \Windows\Installer After this occurs, if I restore \Windows\Installer from the backup a second time, using drag and drop via explorer, the problem is solved. The same problem exists in Windows XP 64 bit version. The workaround I use now is to do the restore, then reinstall my video driver, which results in the purge of \Win...

Installing MS SharePoint templates
The odds of getting one of these to work seems just slightly worse than winning the lottery. I downloaded templates from this page: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/sharepoint/bb407286.aspx We use WSS 3.0. I issue these commands from the command line: stsadm -o addsolution -filename ContactsManagement.wsp stsadm -o deploysolution -name ContactsManagement.wsp -allowgacdeployment -immediate stsadm -o execadmsvcjobs They all complete normally. In SharePoint I go to Site Actions>Site Settings>Sites and Workspaces>Create, and then enter the Title, Des...

IIS Installation Problem
Whenever I install or uninstall IIS in Windows XP professional, I get the following "Distributed Transaction Coordinator Setup Error": Sub-component Distributed Transaction Coordinator raised an exception while processing the OC_COMPLETE_INSTALLATION setup message. d:\xpsp\com\com1x\dtc\ntdtcsetup\src\csetuputil.cpp (line 2748) Error Code = 0x80004005 Unspecified error Failed to execute function 'DllRegisterServer()' in 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\mtxoci.dll'. I'll be very grateful if someone could help me fix this issue. Thanks! ...