Colocated Exchange Server

Hello---
We have 5 branch offices nationwide, each with 50 users a piece.

I would like to colocate an Exchange 2003 Server in a regional data
center.  Can clients using the Outlook client access the Exchange
server without using VPN or PTPP services?  I understand the Outlook
client uses RPC to connect.

Any suggestions on this would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Phil

Update:
I do have a VPN running between all offices and the data center in a
hub and spoke arrangement.

My concern is the additional load placed on the VPN between all offices
will deem the VPN unreliable or slow.  I understand RPC over HTTP is
possible, comments?

Thanks,
Phil

RPC over HTTP is certainly possible although with a VPN connection it is not
stricly necessary as a standard RPC connection should work. I think your
basic concern is valid in that you need to understand at what level of
utilization these VPN connections are prior to introducing Outlook. One
other option is OWA, which does not provide the same level of functionality
but very close to.

Nue

"Dev" <phillip_morley@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Update:
> I do have a VPN running between all offices and the data center in a
> hub and spoke arrangement.
>
> My concern is the additional load placed on the VPN between all offices
> will deem the VPN unreliable or slow.  I understand RPC over HTTP is
> possible, comments?
>
> Thanks,
> Phil

0
imaneophyte (3004)
2/21/2006 1:09:03 PM
This might help also:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/clinettraf.mspx

Nue
"Dev" <phillip_morley@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Update:
> I do have a VPN running between all offices and the data center in a
> hub and spoke arrangement.
>
> My concern is the additional load placed on the VPN between all offices
> will deem the VPN unreliable or slow.  I understand RPC over HTTP is
> possible, comments?
>
> Thanks,
> Phil

0
imaneophyte (3004)
2/21/2006 1:11:40 PM
1. RPC over HTTP is preferred solution, as it allows you to remotely do
fully functional Outlook without exposing your internal network over
VPN. For that you need WXP SP2 on clients, WS2003/Exchange2003 on
servers. Please see
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888812/
2. It makes no difference traffic-wise if you do e-mail over VPN or
RPC/HTTP - data has to move over the wire. Both VPN and RPC compress
data. If you are talking about CPU load, then the difference is probably
neglegible.

Dev wrote:
> Update:
> I do have a VPN running between all offices and the data center in a
> hub and spoke arrangement.
>
> My concern is the additional load placed on the VPN between all offices
> will deem the VPN unreliable or slow.  I understand RPC over HTTP is
> possible, comments?
>
> Thanks,
> Phil

0
kpalagin (1838)
2/21/2006 1:15:12 PM
Thanks for the responses.

Two Final Questions:
1) All 5 branch offices have a VPN connected to the central data
center.  The VPN allows remote assistance and a centrally managed
network.  If we are already using the VPN in this capacity will
configuring clients to use the VPN open the network up to additional
risk?
2) With 150 users in 5 branch offices, would a single Exchange server
suffice?  DL380 3.0GHz / 2MB Memory.  I would prefer not to purchase
another exchange license and server.

Phil

1. I do not see any additional risk.
2. Single server should be sufficient, bandwidth will likely be primary
bottleneck, especially upstream bandwidth in the office with Exchange
box. Just make sure that users are setup in Cached Mode.

Dev wrote:
> Thanks for the responses.
>
> Two Final Questions:
> 1) All 5 branch offices have a VPN connected to the central data
> center.  The VPN allows remote assistance and a centrally managed
> network.  If we are already using the VPN in this capacity will
> configuring clients to use the VPN open the network up to additional
> risk?
> 2) With 150 users in 5 branch offices, would a single Exchange server
> suffice?  DL380 3.0GHz / 2MB Memory.  I would prefer not to purchase
> another exchange license and server.
>
> Phil

0
kpalagin (1838)