Change Directory Name in Exchange 2003, Windows Server 2003

The directory name that appears in exmerge does not match the user account
name and I would like to know how to change it.

Another administrator created an account in Exchange 2003.  The display name
is Jane Smith, the login is jane@domain.org and the e-mail is janes@vera.org.
 When the account was created, the word test was put in one of those fields
(which one I am no longer sure and it was changed after creation to the names
above, although test@domain.org is still one of the e-mails for this user but
not the default). When I use exmerge the directory name that appears for the
account is test.  I would like to change it to match the login name.  Is it
possible?  How?  Can you point me to a document that explains the differences
between alias, fullname, login and directory name?

Thank you in advance.

--
Valerie Christopher
0

On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 11:54:00 -0700, Valerie C
<valeriec@vera.org.donotspam> wrote:

>The directory name that appears in exmerge does not match the user account
>name and I would like to know how to change it.
>
>Another administrator created an account in Exchange 2003.  The display name
>is Jane Smith, the login is jane@domain.org and the e-mail is janes@vera.org.
> When the account was created, the word test was put in one of those fields
>(which one I am no longer sure and it was changed after creation to the names
>above, although test@domain.org is still one of the e-mails for this user but
>not the default). When I use exmerge the directory name that appears for the
>account is test.  I would like to change it to match the login name.  Is it
>possible?  How?  Can you point me to a document that explains the differences
>between alias, fullname, login and directory name?
>
>Thank you in advance.

I might have got the wrong end of the stick on what you're after but
you should be able to change the file name of the PST to whatever the
alias is on the import server.
"Directory Name" isn't a word that computes in my brain in 2000/2003.
0
mark7219 (5666)
4/9/2007 7:17:53 PM
You do have it a bit wrong (poor explanation on my part I'm sure).  Although
the alias in ADUC is jane and test doesn’t appear anywhere, if you create a
pst you get test.pst and in exmerge in the mailbox selection window the
directory name is test.  We found that on our upgrade to Exchange 2003 the
alias and full name not matching the directory name caused some problems, so
we want to change the directory name to jane from test.  Changing the alias
doesn’t seem to have an affect.  I tried it on an account I created for
testing and 20 hours later, exmerge still shows the original alias name as
the directory name, not the updated alias name.  Directory name doesn't
compute for me either.!

Any suggestions?

--
Valerie Christopher

"Mark Arnold [MVP]" wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 11:54:00 -0700, Valerie C
> <valeriec@vera.org.donotspam> wrote:
>
> >The directory name that appears in exmerge does not match the user account
> >name and I would like to know how to change it.
> >
> >Another administrator created an account in Exchange 2003.  The display name
> >is Jane Smith, the login is jane@domain.org and the e-mail is janes@vera.org.
> > When the account was created, the word test was put in one of those fields
> >(which one I am no longer sure and it was changed after creation to the names
> >above, although test@domain.org is still one of the e-mails for this user but
> >not the default). When I use exmerge the directory name that appears for the
> >account is test.  I would like to change it to match the login name.  Is it
> >possible?  How?  Can you point me to a document that explains the differences
> >between alias, fullname, login and directory name?
> >
> >Thank you in advance.
>
> I might have got the wrong end of the stick on what you're after but
> you should be able to change the file name of the PST to whatever the
> alias is on the import server.
> "Directory Name" isn't a word that computes in my brain in 2000/2003.

0
valeriec (2)
4/10/2007 1:50:03 PM
you migrated from 5.5?  that's where "directory name" comes from...to me,
this indicates that originally, the account was named "test"...there may be
a reference to that in an old legacy email address...?  if it IS the
"directory name", you won't be able to change that...all you can do is
rename the PST file after it's been created...

--
Susan Conkey [MVP]

"Valerie C" <valeriec@vera.org.donotspam> wrote in message
> You do have it a bit wrong (poor explanation on my part I'm sure).
> Although
> the alias in ADUC is jane and test doesn’t appear anywhere, if you
> create a
> pst you get test.pst and in exmerge in the mailbox selection window the
> directory name is test.  We found that on our upgrade to Exchange 2003 the
> alias and full name not matching the directory name caused some problems,
> so
> we want to change the directory name to jane from test.  Changing the
> alias
> doesn’t seem to have an affect.  I tried it on an account I created for
> testing and 20 hours later, exmerge still shows the original alias name as
> the directory name, not the updated alias name.  Directory name doesn't
> compute for me either.!
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> --
> Valerie Christopher
>

> "Mark Arnold [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 11:54:00 -0700, Valerie C
>> <valeriec@vera.org.donotspam> wrote:
>>
>> >The directory name that appears in exmerge does not match the user
>> >account
>> >name and I would like to know how to change it.
>> >
>> >Another administrator created an account in Exchange 2003.  The display
>> >name
>> >is Jane Smith, the login is jane@domain.org and the e-mail is
>> >janes@vera.org.
>> > When the account was created, the word test was put in one of those
>> > fields
>> >(which one I am no longer sure and it was changed after creation to the
>> >names
>> >above, although test@domain.org is still one of the e-mails for this
>> >user but
>> >not the default). When I use exmerge the directory name that appears for
>> >the
>> >account is test.  I would like to change it to match the login name.  Is
>> >it
>> >possible?  How?  Can you point me to a document that explains the
>> >differences
>> >between alias, fullname, login and directory name?
>> >
>> >Thank you in advance.
>>
>> I might have got the wrong end of the stick on what you're after but
>> you should be able to change the file name of the PST to whatever the
>> alias is on the import server.
>> "Directory Name" isn't a word that computes in my brain in 2000/2003.

0
sconkey (3059)
4/10/2007 3:37:16 PM
Susan's on point. The directory name in exmdrge is the old alias of
the mb or the original account that was associated to it. I'm not sure
how exmerge is seeing this, but it's likely that it's pulling it from
a mapi property of the mb.

However, the Display Name of the mailbox as seen in ExMerge matches
the mailNickname attribute of the current mailbox owner, while the
Directory Name seen in ExMerge matches the previous owner's
mailNickname attribute.
The .pst file extracted by ExMerge is based on the old mailNickname
attribute, and the .pst file must be renamed to match the new
mailNickname attribute before ExMerge can import data back to the
original mailbox. This means you cannot do a one-step merge if you
have connected the mailbox to a different user. You must do a two-step
merge, manually renaming the extracted .pst file between steps.

James Chong (MVP)
MCSE | M+, S+, MCTS, Security+
msexchangetips.blogspot.com

On Apr 10, 9:50 am, Valerie C <valer...@vera.org.donotspam> wrote:
> You do have it a bit wrong (poor explanation on my part I'm sure).  Although
> the alias in ADUC is jane and test doesn't appear anywhere, if you create a
> pst you get test.pst and in exmerge in the mailbox selection window the
> directory name is test.  We found that on our upgrade to Exchange 2003 the
> alias and full name not matching the directory name caused some problems, so
> we want to change the directory name to jane from test.  Changing the alias
> doesn't seem to have an affect.  I tried it on an account I created for
> testing and 20 hours later, exmerge still shows the original alias name as
> the directory name, not the updated alias name.  Directory name doesn't
> compute for me either.!
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> --
> Valerie Christopher
>

> "Mark Arnold [MVP]" wrote:
> > On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 11:54:00 -0700, Valerie C
> > <valer...@vera.org.donotspam> wrote:
>
> > >The directory name that appears in exmerge does not match the user account
> > >name and I would like to know how to change it.
>
> > >Another administrator created an account in Exchange 2003.  The display name
> > >is Jane Smith, the login is j...@domain.org and the e-mail is j...@vera.org.
> > > When the account was created, the word test was put in one of those fields
> > >(which one I am no longer sure and it was changed after creation to the names
> > >above, although t...@domain.org is still one of the e-mails for this user but
> > >not the default). When I use exmerge the directory name that appears for the
> > >account is test.  I would like to change it to match the login name.  Is it
> > >possible?  How?  Can you point me to a document that explains the differences
> > >between alias, fullname, login and directory name?
>
> > >Thank you in advance.
>
> > I might have got the wrong end of the stick on what you're after but
> > you should be able to change the file name of the PST to whatever the
> > alias is on the import server.
> > "Directory Name" isn't a word that computes in my brain in 2000/2003.- Hide quoted text -

jamestechman (1266)

Outlook 2003 and "Check Names"

copy my vb project... is it as easy as copying the directory..
Hi, I want to take a copy of a project so I have two projects the same.. the idea is i can play around with one, and not effect the original.. is it as easy as just using file explorer to copy the directory from say c:\project1 to c:\project2... or do the project files like forms etc have paths in them and therefore I can't just copy like this.. thanks "AussieRules" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:uzrSvxp6KHA.5112@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > I want to take a copy of a project so I have two projects the same.. the > i...

How do I get OL 2003 to back up everythihg in it automatically
I am trying to find out if there is a possibility in Outlook 2003 to save and back up all my Outlook 2003 Info , including contacts, e-mails (received and send) automatically rather than having to do it manually everytime I exit the program? you can use a script and make a copy before you open outlook or use a backup tool to make a copy of the pst and your other files as needed. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ ...

multiple Domain name delivery problem

removing replicated table information from MS Office Access 2003
I have a tool that exports .xml files which are then imported into a table. If I import the file without any replicated information (ie. s_ColLineage, etc) how would this affect the database? Is it safe to do this? Would I be better off just making the tables not replicable? Thanks On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 03:33:07 -0800, DukeJon <DukeJon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: Assuming your Access database does not need replicating, yes, it is safe to omit those fields during import. -Tom. >I have a tool that exports .xml files which are then imported into a table. >If I import the f...

Exchange update problem

Exchange for remote users/offices
Up to this point i've used SBS 2003 with POP3 (using Popbeamer)...the reason i chose this from the get go was because we have about 15 users here on site and about another 20 that are scattered across the globe. I didn't want to be in charge of mail for those that weren't here remotely, so figured just using the POP3 route was the way to go. Well, i'm preparing to move to SBS 2008 and REALLY want to set it up as a true Exchange server hosing the mail. But, again, am not sure i want to deal with the other 20 users if i don't have to. So, is there a way to set up ...

windows messenger 09-24-06
have a friend's contact card popping up at any time saying they want to be added to my list. this was done a long time ago but the message keeps coming up at various times when i'm on the computer. how can i stop this?> Shirley, this is a CRM newsgroup, you may get a better response if you post in XP General group http://www.microsoft.com/smallbusiness/community/newsgroups/dgbrowser/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&lang=en&cr=US&r=c10a5834-ccef-4e84-9c45-1e43e21770ed "shirley" wrote: > have a friend's contact card popping up ...

New Disk storage

Outlook 2003 keeps crashing #2

Password Issue with MS Money 2003

Outlook 2003