Change Backend to Frontend Server Questions

I started out with one exchange 2003 backend server - clients connect to this
via RPC- https and pop3.

I have now installed a second 2003 enterprise backend server and will be
moving all mail boxes and public folders to it then converting the original
server to a frontend server.

My questions are;
1. Should continue to I deliver incoming SMTP to the FE server after the
change?
2. Does it matter that the FE server is the PDC and the first Exchsrvr
3. Should Pop3 clients collect mail via the FE server?

I have read the FE BE Topography guide but there is not much information on
re-assigning the server roles and any associated issues.
I will be doing this late at night over a weekend and want to ensure that I
have not missed anything.

Thank you
Simon

Bharat Suneja
MVP - Exchange
www.zenprise.com
NEW blog location:
www.exchangepedia.com/blog

"simonfarrow" <simonfarrow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I started out with one exchange 2003 backend server - clients connect to
>this
> via RPC- https and pop3.
>
> I have now installed a second 2003 enterprise backend server and will be
> moving all mail boxes and public folders to it then converting the
> original
> server to a frontend server.
>
> My questions are;
> 1. Should continue to I deliver incoming SMTP to the FE server after the
> change?

Can do that - make sure it's running SMTP and has a Store mounted. Having
said that, SMTP is not "front-ended" like other protocols (HTTP/S, IMAP4,
POP3) - it behaves like any other Exchange server. You can make the SMTP VS
on the FE a bridgehead for RG or SMTP Connectors, and you can point your
external MX to (external/NATted IP address of) the FE for inbound mail.

> 2. Does it matter that the FE server is the PDC and the first Exchsrvr

PDC as in the PDC Emulator role in AD domain? Doesn't really matter - if it
was a BE it can be a FE as well. Ideally it's best to avoid Exchange on DCs
but it's understandable in smaller, budget-constrained environments,
including MS's own SBS product.

> 3. Should Pop3 clients collect mail via the FE server?

Yes, they can. FE servers can "front-end" POP3 as well. Havng the FE as
single server that you open inbound SMTP, POP3, and HTTP/S ports to makes
sense.

> I have read the FE BE Topography guide but there is not much information
> on
> re-assigning the server roles and any associated issues.
> I will be doing this late at night over a weekend and want to ensure that
> have not missed anything.
>
> Thank you
> Simon

0
bharatsuneja1 (3146)
9/21/2006 2:01:28 AM
Thank you Bharat,

Mx for our external domains is pointed to a Spam firewall (barracuda) then
sent internally to the exchange server. So redirecting the SMTP traffic to
the backend server is fairly simple for me to change. Would you agree then
that it would make sense to deliver mail to the new backend server instead?

If all of my mailboxes are on one server is it even worth moving to FE / BE
Topology?

Thanks again

"Bharat Suneja [MVP]" wrote:

> Bharat Suneja
> MVP - Exchange
> www.zenprise.com
> NEW blog location:
> www.exchangepedia.com/blog
>

> "simonfarrow" <simonfarrow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I started out with one exchange 2003 backend server - clients connect to
> >this
> > via RPC- https and pop3.
> >
> > I have now installed a second 2003 enterprise backend server and will be
> > moving all mail boxes and public folders to it then converting the
> > original
> > server to a frontend server.
> >
> > My questions are;
> > 1. Should continue to I deliver incoming SMTP to the FE server after the
> > change?
>
> Can do that - make sure it's running SMTP and has a Store mounted. Having
> said that, SMTP is not "front-ended" like other protocols (HTTP/S, IMAP4,
> POP3) - it behaves like any other Exchange server. You can make the SMTP VS
> on the FE a bridgehead for RG or SMTP Connectors, and you can point your
> external MX to (external/NATted IP address of) the FE for inbound mail.
>
> > 2. Does it matter that the FE server is the PDC and the first Exchsrvr
>
> PDC as in the PDC Emulator role in AD domain? Doesn't really matter - if it
> was a BE it can be a FE as well. Ideally it's best to avoid Exchange on DCs
> but it's understandable in smaller, budget-constrained environments,
> including MS's own SBS product.
>
> > 3. Should Pop3 clients collect mail via the FE server?
>
> Yes, they can. FE servers can "front-end" POP3 as well. Havng the FE as
> single server that you open inbound SMTP, POP3, and HTTP/S ports to makes
> sense.
>

> > I have read the FE BE Topography guide but there is not much information
> > on
> > re-assigning the server roles and any associated issues.
> > I will be doing this late at night over a weekend and want to ensure that
> > have not missed anything.
> >
> > Thank you
> > Simon

The advantages a FE server provides are lost (well almost.... ) in a single
server environment.
FEs provide a single namespace (in case you have multiple BEs), a single
server to access HTTP/S (OWA, OMA, EAS, RPC over HTTP/S), IMAP4 and POP3,
and optionall (though not "front-ended") SMTP.

The other advantage is offloading stuff like SSL processing for all the
above protocols, but if your single BE isn't under heavy load/has cycles to
spare, it makes little sense to use a FE.

Ditto for SMTP mail - adding one more hop in a single-BE scenario isn't
efficient in most cases.

--

> Thank you Bharat,
>
> Mx for our external domains is pointed to a Spam firewall (barracuda) then
> sent internally to the exchange server. So redirecting the SMTP traffic to
> the backend server is fairly simple for me to change. Would you agree then
> that it would make sense to deliver mail to the new backend server
> instead?
>
> If all of my mailboxes are on one server is it even worth moving to FE /
> BE
> Topology?
>
> Thanks again
>

> "Bharat Suneja [MVP]" wrote:

>> --
>> Bharat Suneja
>> MVP - Exchange
>> www.zenprise.com
>> NEW blog location:
>> www.exchangepedia.com/blog
>>

>> "simonfarrow" <simonfarrow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I started out with one exchange 2003 backend server - clients connect to
>> >this
>> > via RPC- https and pop3.
>> >
>> > I have now installed a second 2003 enterprise backend server and will
>> > be
>> > moving all mail boxes and public folders to it then converting the
>> > original
>> > server to a frontend server.
>> >
>> > My questions are;
>> > 1. Should continue to I deliver incoming SMTP to the FE server after
>> > the
>> > change?
>>
>> Can do that - make sure it's running SMTP and has a Store mounted. Having
>> said that, SMTP is not "front-ended" like other protocols (HTTP/S, IMAP4,
>> POP3) - it behaves like any other Exchange server. You can make the SMTP
>> VS
>> on the FE a bridgehead for RG or SMTP Connectors, and you can point your
>> external MX to (external/NATted IP address of) the FE for inbound mail.
>>
>> > 2. Does it matter that the FE server is the PDC and the first Exchsrvr
>>
>> PDC as in the PDC Emulator role in AD domain? Doesn't really matter - if
>> it
>> was a BE it can be a FE as well. Ideally it's best to avoid Exchange on
>> DCs
>> but it's understandable in smaller, budget-constrained environments,
>> including MS's own SBS product.
>>
>> > 3. Should Pop3 clients collect mail via the FE server?
>>
>> Yes, they can. FE servers can "front-end" POP3 as well. Havng the FE as
>> single server that you open inbound SMTP, POP3, and HTTP/S ports to makes
>> sense.
>>

>> > I have read the FE BE Topography guide but there is not much
>> > information
>> > on
>> > re-assigning the server roles and any associated issues.
>> > I will be doing this late at night over a weekend and want to ensure
>> > that
>> > have not missed anything.
>> >
>> > Thank you
>> > Simon

0
bharatsuneja1 (3146)
9/21/2006 6:12:51 PM
There's no reason not to route SMTP directly to the back-end server if you
have only one, and if the front-end performs no additional message
inspection or sanitizing.  That would allow you to remove the private
information store and disable the information store service on the front-end
server.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

> [...]
>>
>> PDC as in the PDC Emulator role in AD domain? Doesn't really matter - if
>> it
>> was a BE it can be a FE as well. Ideally it's best to avoid Exchange on
>> DCs
>> but it's understandable in smaller, budget-constrained environments,
>> including MS's own SBS product.
>>
>> > 3. Should Pop3 clients collect mail via the FE server?
>>
>> Yes, they can. FE servers can "front-end" POP3 as well. Havng the FE as
>> single server that you open inbound SMTP, POP3, and HTTP/S ports to makes
>> sense.
>>

>> > I have read the FE BE Topography guide but there is not much
>> > information
>> > on
>> > re-assigning the server roles and any associated issues.
>> > I will be doing this late at night over a weekend and want to ensure

0
curspice6401 (3487)
9/21/2006 6:42:01 PM
Cheers again, I will go with the fe/be for future scalability and disable the
fe store as suggested.
Should the RPC-HTTP clients automatically find the new server store simlar
to the way that mapi clients would? Or will I have to re-configure all the
clients with the new server name?

"Ed Crowley [MVP]" wrote:

> There's no reason not to route SMTP directly to the back-end server if you
> have only one, and if the front-end performs no additional message
> inspection or sanitizing.  That would allow you to remove the private
> information store and disable the information store service on the front-end
> server.
> --
> Ed Crowley
> MVP - Exchange
>
> "simonfarrow" <simonfarrow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thank you Bharat,
> >
> > Mx for our external domains is pointed to a Spam firewall (barracuda) then
> > sent internally to the exchange server. So redirecting the SMTP traffic to
> > the backend server is fairly simple for me to change. Would you agree then
> > that it would make sense to deliver mail to the new backend server
> > instead?
> >
> > If all of my mailboxes are on one server is it even worth moving to FE /
> > BE
> > Topology?
> >
> > Thanks again
> >

> > "Bharat Suneja [MVP]" wrote:

> >> --
> >> Bharat Suneja
> >> MVP - Exchange
> >> www.zenprise.com
> >> NEW blog location:
> >> www.exchangepedia.com/blog
> >> ----------------------------------------------
> >>

> >> "simonfarrow" <simonfarrow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> Can do that - make sure it's running SMTP and has a Store mounted. Having
> >> said that, SMTP is not "front-ended" like other protocols (HTTP/S, IMAP4,
> >> POP3) - it behaves like any other Exchange server. You can make the SMTP
> >> VS
> >> on the FE a bridgehead for RG or SMTP Connectors, and you can point your
> >> external MX to (external/NATted IP address of) the FE for inbound mail.

> >> PDC as in the PDC Emulator role in AD domain? Doesn't really matter - if
> >> it
> >> was a BE it can be a FE as well. Ideally it's best to avoid Exchange on
> >> DCs
> >> but it's understandable in smaller, budget-constrained environments,
> >> including MS's own SBS product.

> >> Yes, they can. FE servers can "front-end" POP3 as well. Havng the FE as
> >> single server that you open inbound SMTP, POP3, and HTTP/S ports to makes
> >> sense.

If you're thinking about the future, you might reconsider and have the
front-end server route the SMTP mail and leave the mailbox store installed,
or build a separate bridgehead server for that purpose.  If you have more
than one back-end server, it's generally preferred to have a bridgehead on
another server.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

> Cheers again, I will go with the fe/be for future scalability and disable
> the
> fe store as suggested.
> Should the RPC-HTTP clients automatically find the new server store simlar
> to the way that mapi clients would? Or will I have to re-configure all the
> clients with the new server name?
>
> "Ed Crowley [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> There's no reason not to route SMTP directly to the back-end server if
>> you
>> have only one, and if the front-end performs no additional message
>> inspection or sanitizing.  That would allow you to remove the private
>> information store and disable the information store service on the
>> front-end
>> server.
>> --
>> Ed Crowley
>> MVP - Exchange
>>
>> "simonfarrow" <simonfarrow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thank you Bharat,
>> >
>> > Mx for our external domains is pointed to a Spam firewall (barracuda)
>> > then
>> > sent internally to the exchange server. So redirecting the SMTP traffic
>> > the backend server is fairly simple for me to change. Would you agree
>> > then
>> > that it would make sense to deliver mail to the new backend server
>> > instead?
>> >
>> > If all of my mailboxes are on one server is it even worth moving to FE
>> > /
>> > BE
>> > Topology?
>> >
>> > Thanks again

0
curspice6401 (3487)
9/22/2006 7:43:59 PM
Help,

I moved evry thing off the old server and finally converted it to a FE
server. RPC-HTTP clients are not working but web is. There seems to be a
problme with the Site replication service which was the last item moved. I am
also getting an error with the SystemMailbox on the FE server.
Microsoft Exchange OLEDB was unable to initialize event system correctly.
Support for store event may have been disabled. HRESULT = 0x80070005.

The new backend server also shows the SRS error.

Any suggestions?

"simonfarrow" wrote:

> Help,
>
> I moved evry thing off the old server and finally converted it to a FE
> server. RPC-HTTP clients are not working but web is. There seems to be a
> problme with the Site replication service which was the last item moved. I am
> also getting an error with the SystemMailbox on the FE server.
> Microsoft Exchange OLEDB was unable to initialize event system correctly.
> Support for store event may have been disabled. HRESULT = 0x80070005.
>
> The new backend server also shows the SRS error.
>
> Any suggestions?

SRS error is
The Microsoft Exchange Site Replication Service could not initialize its
Exchange database (EDB) and returned error 1.  The Site Replication Service
will wait in a semi-running state so the database can be restored from backup
and the SRS can mount it.

> "Ed Crowley [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > If you're thinking about the future, you might reconsider and have the
> > front-end server route the SMTP mail and leave the mailbox store installed,
> > or build a separate bridgehead server for that purpose.  If you have more
> > than one back-end server, it's generally preferred to have a bridgehead on
> > another server.
> > --
> > Ed Crowley
> > MVP - Exchange
> > "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!"
> >
> > "simonfarrow" <simonfarrow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Cheers again, I will go with the fe/be for future scalability and disable
> > > the
> > > fe store as suggested.
> > > Should the RPC-HTTP clients automatically find the new server store simlar
> > > to the way that mapi clients would? Or will I have to re-configure all the
> > > clients with the new server name?

If you no longer have any Exchange 5.5 servers then you don't need the Site
Replication Service.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

> "simonfarrow" wrote:
>
>> Help,
>>
>> I moved evry thing off the old server and finally converted it to a FE
>> server. RPC-HTTP clients are not working but web is. There seems to be a
>> problme with the Site replication service which was the last item moved.
>> I am
>> also getting an error with the SystemMailbox on the FE server.
>> Microsoft Exchange OLEDB was unable to initialize event system correctly.
>> Support for store event may have been disabled. HRESULT = 0x80070005.
>>
>> The new backend server also shows the SRS error.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>
> SRS error is
> The Microsoft Exchange Site Replication Service could not initialize its
> Exchange database (EDB) and returned error 1.  The Site Replication
> Service
> will wait in a semi-running state so the database can be restored from
> backup
> and the SRS can mount it.
>

>> "Ed Crowley [MVP]" wrote:
>>
>> > If you're thinking about the future, you might reconsider and have the
>> > front-end server route the SMTP mail and leave the mailbox store
>> > installed,
>> > or build a separate bridgehead server for that purpose.  If you have
>> > more
>> > than one back-end server, it's generally preferred to have a bridgehead
>> > on
>> > another server.
>> > --
>> > Ed Crowley
>> > MVP - Exchange
>> > "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!"
>> >
>> > "simonfarrow" <simonfarrow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
curspice6401 (3487)
9/23/2006 6:19:54 AM
After whast has been a day in hell. I have managed to move everything back
and get the server back to its original state. I certainly wish there was
more documentation on this process because I must have missed something.
Anyway thanks for the assistance, I will do more research before my next
attempt

"Ed Crowley [MVP]" wrote:

> If you no longer have any Exchange 5.5 servers then you don't need the Site
> Replication Service.
> --
> Ed Crowley
> MVP - Exchange
>
> "simonfarrow" <simonfarrow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >

> > "simonfarrow" wrote:
> >
> >> Help,
> >>
> >> I moved evry thing off the old server and finally converted it to a FE
> >> server. RPC-HTTP clients are not working but web is. There seems to be a
> >> problme with the Site replication service which was the last item moved.
> >> I am
> >> also getting an error with the SystemMailbox on the FE server.
> >> Microsoft Exchange OLEDB was unable to initialize event system correctly.
> >> Support for store event may have been disabled. HRESULT = 0x80070005.
> >>
> >> The new backend server also shows the SRS error.
> >>
> >> Any suggestions?
> >
> > SRS error is
> > The Microsoft Exchange Site Replication Service could not initialize its
> > Exchange database (EDB) and returned error 1.  The Site Replication
> > Service
> > will wait in a semi-running state so the database can be restored from
> > backup
> > and the SRS can mount it.

How to change the style of fullname
I would like to change the style of fullname, such as "lastname+firstname" without ",". Anyway, there no such settings in the system settings. How to get it? ...

use macro to change dates
I have never used macros before but am trying to convert dates using excel 2003. The dates are in the format of +1.123.456.1234 and I would like to change that to 123-456-1234. There are also some listed as 123.456.1234 and would like them to be the same as the first ones, that is, 123-456-1234. I tried using the "start recording" method and "stop recording" but the cursor just jumps back to the original cell when I try to use the recorded macro. I have 2000 cells to change. Anybody have a suggestion on how to change these? I looked at the VBE, but don't kno...

Shut off the auto relay & Change Wallpaper
I need to change some settings within outlook. I used a MST to capture a Outlook 2000 configuration. I setup all machines using a Admin install. I want to turn off the relay option and change the wallpaper. Both options are disabled, I want to turn them on. Could you help me Please. ...

Shared DLL question on win7
Error Code: 0xC000041D Config: Use MFC in a Shared DLL OS: Win7 Ultimate IDE Set: VS2008 SP1 I don't know why when I run a program which is written for MFC Shared DLL, 0xC00041D will come up. It is in the crtmbox.c file saying there is something wrong with the callback. //////////////////////////////////////////// if(dpfnGetProcessWindowStation && dpfnGetUserObjectInformation) { if (NULL == (hwinsta = (dpfnGetProcessWindowStation)()) || !(dpfnGetUserObjectInformation) (hwinsta, UOI_FLAGS, &uo...

Changing from Office 2007 to 2003
Hi. I am switching from Office 2007 to 2003. If I export all folders in ..pst format, will I be able to import that into 2003 seamlessly? lol. I have never had issues when "upgrading" doing it this way, but "downgrading" is a new issue to me. Thanks in advance for your help! No need to export and import anything. Just use the pst-file directly via; File-> Open-> Outlook Data File... It is recommended to recreate you mail profile though after the downgrade. For this see; http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/newprofile.htm -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-...

Am I able to link excel info with word and have it change when i c
this goes with my other question and problem i need help to do this. i have word and excel 2003 Your question is not clear. Please put the entire question in the body of the message. "Dawn" wrote: > this goes with my other question and problem i need help to do this. i have > word and excel 2003 ...

Error Installing CRM on Windows Server 2008, SQL Server 2008?
Anyone have any answers on this for me? I have seen a few posts which relate to SQL Server 2003 but not 2008? Here is the error I am receiving. --- Setup failed to validate specified Reporting Services Report Server http://SERVER2008/CRMReportServer. Error: Client found response content type of 'text/html; charset=3Dutf-8', but expected 'text/xml'. The request failed with the error message: -- <HTML dir=3D"ltr"> <HEAD><meta name=3D"GENERATOR" content=3D"Microsoft SharePoint" /><meta name=3D"progid" content=3D"...

Setup failes on SQL server
After attempting to install CRM 1.2 using the MSDN version I keep getting a "Microsoft CRM Setup could not validate this instance of SQL server" error. I have attached the install log. PLEASE HELP!!!!! I cannot get past this screen System config: Windows 2000, SP4 SQL 2000 SP3a MSMQ Domain Controller Logged in under admin account [17:04:08] ===========> Starting Microsoft CRM Server setup: 12/15/2004 17:4:8 Build: 1.2.3297.0 [17:04:08] Command Line /L*V c:\crm\install.log [17:04:08] Found Platform Major Version 5, Minor Version 0 [17:04:08] FIsWin2kRemoteSessionMappe...

Move to a new OWA server (ssl cert needs to move over also)
I moved a frontend owa server from server01 to server02. I have a cert on server01 that I need to move to server02. Can't I just export the cert out of server01 and into server02? Is there an article on how to do this? tia -comb Export a cert with private key and import the cert on new server http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/Library/ad336dc5-2d48-4c6e-a837-c810b666020a1033.mspx -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog location: www.exchangepedia.com/blog ---------------------------------------------- "combfilter" <whore@whore.com> ...

Auto Correct Function Question
My company is using an Access based program. We use an Auto Correct file (*.acl) to post entries: e.g. TT = TELEPHONE TO, CW = CONFERENCE WITH. The problem is that we want these codes to function only when using Access. People are upset when using Outlook or Word and they type in letter combinations and get posting code entries. No one wants to have to keep turning the "replace text as you type" function on and off as we change MS programs. Can I shut off the AutoCorrect function "replace text as you type" in all but Access? Alternatively, is there a way...

How could I configure a GP Alert without an Exchange Server?
I'm trying to configure a GP Alert, but I don't have an Exchange Server on my network, the question is: Could I configura a GP Alert without an Exhange Server and domain account? ...

MS2004 Feature Question
Under tools, options, investments tab in 2004 Dlx, there is a check box "Require a transfer account for each investment transaction". What is the pros and cons of using this? I couldn't find any help on it. Thanks, Bob Pro: it will suggest best practices for entering these kinds of transactions--accounting for where the cash comes from or goes to--if you don't already follow them. I may be wrong, but I don't think it will actually REQUIRE them, only it will nag if you don't have one and will allow you to continue if you really want to. Most of these choices, l...

Change or Disable keyboard shortcuts
Is there a way to change or disable the keyboard shortcuts in OL 2003? Thanks No, not as a rule. Ctrl+Enter can be enabled/disabled but not others. Which ones do you want to disable? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM Do you sync your mailbox with a smartphone or p...

How do I change the font color of my sheet tabs?
I'm running Excel X for Mac Service release 1 on a G5 with OSX. Today all my worksheets (existing and new) appear with all sheet tab names in a yellow font color. I didn't do this and I can't figure out how to undo it. Reading yellow against a white background isn't easy. How do I change the font color for the sheet tabs? Hi, DungeonsOfAlcatraz; You might try control clicking (or right click if you have a multi-button mouse) the tab and seeing if there is an option to change color in the context menu. If not, you could ask your question here: http://groups-beta.google.c...

change first letter only to Upper
Hello Can someone please tell me the formula to change just the first letter of a sentence in a cell to upper case. I know =proper or upper and I know =Left but can't seem the get them to marry up Thanks =UPPER(LEFT(F5))&RIGHT(F5,LEN(F5)-1) -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "JB" <somehow@somewhere> wrote in message news:6E4D2A5A-71F4-4826-9222-B61BFB2F3A5D@microsoft.com... > Hello > Can someone please tell me the formula to change just the first letter of > a sentence in a cell to upper case. > I kno...

Find criteria and change offset information
I am a beginner at writing my own VBA code. I have roster of names and associated information. What I would like my code to do is, find a certain value in column V and replace information in column AG & column AJ in the same row. Here is what I have so far... Range("V1").Select Do While Activecell <> "" Do While Activecell = "X" ActiveCell.Offset(0, 11) = "XYZ" ActiveCell.Offset(0, 14) = "XYZ" ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Select Loop Loop End Sub It seems right to me but doesn't work any suggesti...

Pivot Table questions #2
I have several questions about a pivot table I am constructing. 1. Is there a way to have a column reference a cell with data instead of using the drop downs? example - first column in table is part number, instead of using the drop down to search for parts is it possible to reference cell A1 where a part number would be typed by the user. 2. Is there a way to lock a table so the columns can not be added or removed? 3. I do not have anything in the data items or column fields sections, is there a way to remove these sections? Thanks 1) Only if you want to get into coding the...

changing "case" of letters
I have a huge database in excel. Unfortunately, some of the entries are in ALL CAPS (E. MAIN ST or JOHN SMITH) It is unfortunate as they need to be E. Main St or John Smith. Is there any way to fix this without retyping every entry? Try out the belowfunction =PROPER(A1) May be in Sheet2 cell A1 try =PROPER(sHEET1!a1) and copy down/across as required and once complete copy>paste special>Values. to convert all formulas to values If this post helps click Yes --------------- Jacob Skaria "sos-DC" wrote: > I have a huge database in excel. > &...

Changed directory for Outlook 2000 pst file
Something happened where my Outlook 2000 now thinks the pst file is on my desktop, yet it is really where it should be- Docs and settings/local settings/applications data/microsoft/outlook/mailbox. How can you change where it looks for the pst file with emails,contacts and calendar. Can you have more than one master pst file like one for work and one for business? How do you switch between them? clif <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Something happened where my Outlook 2000 now thinks the > pst file is on my desktop, yet it is really where it > should be- D...

Date delimiter changes

Bitmap Button Coloring Question
Greetings: I have just painstakingly drawn a set of four bitmap's for use in a CBitmapButton ownerdrawn button. It all work's very well but I couldn't help but notice that when I ran my application on a colleague's system, who uses a different color scheme than I, that my bitmap buttons did not fit in very well. Perhaps I am mistaken but I am pretty sure that I have seen applications with bitmap button controls that have fixed foreground but backgrounds that adjust themselves to whatever the system color for button background is suppost to be. Have I got this wrong? If not, I...

Item Price Change Wizard?
Is there a way to set a price for a set of items to the same figure? In other words, I don't want to offset from current price or from cost or from margin...I just want to set one equal price for a whole group of items to say $100. Is there any way to do that quickly? Use the Change Item Price task, select the items you want to change and when you get to the point where you choose 'Offset by Cost' or 'Markup by Cost' and so on, just click next until you get to the Workpad with all your items. From here you can click on any of the fields in the New Price colum and se...

Question combining spreadsheets
I have two spreadsheets with a common field, being user name. I would like to somehow automate combining these. One does have more users than the other. Is it possible (macros or something else) to do a search for a name from xls1 in xls2, then grab data next to that name from xls2 and put it back in xls1. TIA, Paul Paul, Take a look at the VLOOKUP function, and use it to look up information keyed to your common name. If your common name is in column A, and you want to extract all the data from workbook 2 named "Workbook 2", on a sheet named "Data Sheet", wit...

MSWord2007 Equation: Two questions: display in text, space in function name
Q1. In text we usually need to place limits after e.g. \sum or \int operators but sometimes even in text we need to place the limits ABOVE and BELOW operators such \sum, \int, \bigwedge (like in the display style). How to achieve such effect in MSWord 2007 equation? Could someone please suggest some solutions? (I know I could use MicrosoftEquations3.0 where this i possible but I need achieve that in MSWord 2007 equation). In TeX (LaTeX) system I can use in text e.g.: $\sum\limits_{k=1}^n k^2=..$ to achieve (to force) the limits ABOVE and BELOW operator \sum. Q2. In ...

Login to Exchange Server Keeps Popping Up
I have a user who logs into their laptop as a local computer user (albeit an Administrator on the PC). The user then runs a Cisco VPN application to connect to our system, starts Outlook 2003. When Outlook first opens, it tells the user she is disconnected. Then a Windows-like login box pops up to ask her to log into our Exchange 2003 mail server. She enters the domain\username and her password (as she has a Domain login) and that box goes away and it says she is connected. She then goes to open an email and it sticks in the "downloading" status forever and ever. Eventually after...