Cannot use RPC over HTTPS with Cox cable

I have two users who were on DSL for over a year with zero problems.
They switched to Cox cable and now cannot connect to Exchange (RPC over
HTTP).

No settings have changed.
They can switch the connection back to DSL and connect in seconds.
Switch to cable and never connect.

All the tests I can think of pass.  They can connect to the /rpc share on
the Exchange server using IE.
It appears that Cox is blocking them, but I don't see how.
Isn't the rpc over https encrypted?  Could Cox even tell they were
connecting to Exchange?

All other users using various other ISP's work perfectly.
Any suggestions?

0
none89 (807)

You raise a vaild point. How could Cox determine that a HTTPS connection had
RPC packets embedded?Highly unlikely. What else is different about the
connection? What about inbound port blocking? A firewall in the Cox device?
Also seems highly unlikely but probably worth looking into. Have you tested
RPC over HTTP (probably best to use a dummy account) but it may help define
the problem.

Nue
"Croco Stimpy" <none@none.com> wrote in message
>I have two users who were on DSL for over a year with zero problems.
> They switched to Cox cable and now cannot connect to Exchange (RPC over
> HTTP).
>
> No settings have changed.
> They can switch the connection back to DSL and connect in seconds.
> Switch to cable and never connect.
>
> All the tests I can think of pass.  They can connect to the /rpc share on
> the Exchange server using IE.
> It appears that Cox is blocking them, but I don't see how.
> Isn't the rpc over https encrypted?  Could Cox even tell they were
> connecting to Exchange?
>
> All other users using various other ISP's work perfectly.
> Any suggestions?

0
imaneophyte (3004)
4/28/2006 6:18:18 PM
Testing?  They connected to the server with IE to https://servername/rpc.
That gave the expected message.
They also went into connection status in Outlook, it showed outlook
attempting to connect over https, then timing out.

They temporarily turned off their windows firewall - no difference.

Inbound blocking?  Cox blocks many, but I don't think that would affect
this.  They block inbound port 80, 25, stuff like that.  I checked.

And, the really puzzling thing is, they have been using OWA to the same
server (since they have no other choice).  It's letting them do that.
Same port, same server.  Seems like if that works, Outlook should work.

"Nuevo" <imaneophyte@gmail.com> wrote in message
> You raise a vaild point. How could Cox determine that a HTTPS connection
> had RPC packets embedded?Highly unlikely. What else is different about the
> connection? What about inbound port blocking? A firewall in the Cox
> device? Also seems highly unlikely but probably worth looking into. Have
> you tested RPC over HTTP (probably best to use a dummy account) but it may
> help define the problem.
>
> Nue
> "Croco Stimpy" <none@none.com> wrote in message
>>I have two users who were on DSL for over a year with zero problems.
>> They switched to Cox cable and now cannot connect to Exchange (RPC over
>> HTTP).
>>
>> No settings have changed.
>> They can switch the connection back to DSL and connect in seconds.
>> Switch to cable and never connect.
>>
>> All the tests I can think of pass.  They can connect to the /rpc share on
>> the Exchange server using IE.
>> It appears that Cox is blocking them, but I don't see how.
>> Isn't the rpc over https encrypted?  Could Cox even tell they were
>> connecting to Exchange?
>>
>> All other users using various other ISP's work perfectly.
>> Any suggestions?

0
none89 (807)
4/28/2006 6:29:43 PM
Do you have a firewall in between your Internet router and your Exchange
server that might need to be reconfigured to account for any IP address
changes that might take effect as a result of switching providers?
--
Scott Schnoll
rights. Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for

"Croco Stimpy" <none@none.com> wrote in message
>I have two users who were on DSL for over a year with zero problems.
> They switched to Cox cable and now cannot connect to Exchange (RPC over
> HTTP).
>
> No settings have changed.
> They can switch the connection back to DSL and connect in seconds.
> Switch to cable and never connect.
>
> All the tests I can think of pass.  They can connect to the /rpc share on
> the Exchange server using IE.
> It appears that Cox is blocking them, but I don't see how.
> Isn't the rpc over https encrypted?  Could Cox even tell they were
> connecting to Exchange?
>
> All other users using various other ISP's work perfectly.
> Any suggestions?

0
scschnol (128)
4/28/2006 6:36:23 PM
I am on the Cox network and have been using RPC over HTTPS for 3 years with 0
problems. I would ask for a new Cox router, 98% sure that cox is able to look
into a https tunnel and determine that rpc traffic is in it

"Croco Stimpy" wrote:

> Testing?  They connected to the server with IE to https://servername/rpc.
> That gave the expected message.
> They also went into connection status in Outlook, it showed outlook
> attempting to connect over https, then timing out.
>
> They temporarily turned off their windows firewall - no difference.
>
> Inbound blocking?  Cox blocks many, but I don't think that would affect
> this.  They block inbound port 80, 25, stuff like that.  I checked.
>
> And, the really puzzling thing is, they have been using OWA to the same
> server (since they have no other choice).  It's letting them do that.
> Same port, same server.  Seems like if that works, Outlook should work.
>

> "Nuevo" <imaneophyte@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > You raise a vaild point. How could Cox determine that a HTTPS connection
> > had RPC packets embedded?Highly unlikely. What else is different about the
> > connection? What about inbound port blocking? A firewall in the Cox
> > device? Also seems highly unlikely but probably worth looking into. Have
> > you tested RPC over HTTP (probably best to use a dummy account) but it may
> > help define the problem.
> >
> > Nue
> > "Croco Stimpy" <none@none.com> wrote in message
> >>I have two users who were on DSL for over a year with zero problems.
> >> They switched to Cox cable and now cannot connect to Exchange (RPC over
> >> HTTP).
> >>
> >> No settings have changed.
> >> They can switch the connection back to DSL and connect in seconds.
> >> Switch to cable and never connect.
> >>
> >> All the tests I can think of pass.  They can connect to the /rpc share on
> >> the Exchange server using IE.
> >> It appears that Cox is blocking them, but I don't see how.
> >> Isn't the rpc over https encrypted?  Could Cox even tell they were
> >> connecting to Exchange?
> >>
> >> All other users using various other ISP's work perfectly.
> >> Any suggestions?

0
Skip1 (502)
4/28/2006 6:43:01 PM
Nope.  No firewall on the Exchange network.

"Scott Schnoll [MSFT]" <scschnol@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Do you have a firewall in between your Internet router and your Exchange
> server that might need to be reconfigured to account for any IP address
> changes that might take effect as a result of switching providers?
> --
> Scott Schnoll
> rights. Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for
> newsgroup
> purposes only.
>

> "Croco Stimpy" <none@none.com> wrote in message
>>I have two users who were on DSL for over a year with zero problems.
>> They switched to Cox cable and now cannot connect to Exchange (RPC over
>> HTTP).
>>
>> No settings have changed.
>> They can switch the connection back to DSL and connect in seconds.
>> Switch to cable and never connect.
>>
>> All the tests I can think of pass.  They can connect to the /rpc share on
>> the Exchange server using IE.
>> It appears that Cox is blocking them, but I don't see how.
>> Isn't the rpc over https encrypted?  Could Cox even tell they were
>> connecting to Exchange?
>>
>> All other users using various other ISP's work perfectly.
>> Any suggestions?

0
none89 (807)
4/28/2006 6:43:22 PM
So there is no firewall in between your Exchange server and the Internet?
--

> Nope.  No firewall on the Exchange network.
>
> "Scott Schnoll [MSFT]" <scschnol@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Do you have a firewall in between your Internet router and your Exchange
>> server that might need to be reconfigured to account for any IP address
>> changes that might take effect as a result of switching providers?
>> --
>> Scott Schnoll
>> rights. Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is
>> for newsgroup
>> purposes only.
>>

>> "Croco Stimpy" <none@none.com> wrote in message
>>>I have two users who were on DSL for over a year with zero problems.
>>> They switched to Cox cable and now cannot connect to Exchange (RPC over
>>> HTTP).
>>>
>>> No settings have changed.
>>> They can switch the connection back to DSL and connect in seconds.
>>> Switch to cable and never connect.
>>>
>>> All the tests I can think of pass.  They can connect to the /rpc share
>>> on the Exchange server using IE.
>>> It appears that Cox is blocking them, but I don't see how.
>>> Isn't the rpc over https encrypted?  Could Cox even tell they were
>>> connecting to Exchange?
>>>
>>> All other users using various other ISP's work perfectly.
>>> Any suggestions?

0
scschnol (128)
4/28/2006 6:51:32 PM
Unfortunately, no.
Not by my choice.

> So there is no firewall in between your Exchange server and the Internet?
> --
> Scott Schnoll
> rights. Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for
> newsgroup
> purposes only.

0
none89 (807)

rpc over http #35
I've setu rpc over http on single server sbs 2003. If I setup a laptop at work, connecting it to the domain and then setup the exchange profile to use the proxy server. when I'm out of the office I can connect to exchange without any problem. But if I take a different laptop or other computer and I try to connect to my exchange server over the internet from outside of the office I can not connect. I should be able to use any computer anywhere as long as I setup the profile correctly. it shouldn't depend on the username profile of the computer I'm logged onto. When ...

iPhone inbox (using Gmail) and Entourage
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: pop Before I upgraded to Entourage 2008, I was using 2004 with (10.4) on an older iMac. I have an iPhone and use it for email. Previously, my email would come to my iPhone and when I opened Entourage, the emails on my iPhone would disappear. I've upgraded to Snow Leopard and Entourage 2008. Now, my emails don't disappear after I've opened Entourage on my iPhone. I have to manually delete them. I checked the settings and they're all the same. Can anyone help me figure out how...

Can I use an industry standard XSD and ADO.NET / SQLServer to output a conforming XML file
We have tentatively agreed with a supplier to exchange order information. The plan is to use an 'industry standard' order schema definition from say www.xcbl.org. Is there are simple way to use ADO.NET in this scenario. Ideally (naively) I would like to do something along these lines : 1. Create a SQLServer stored proc that returns a dataset (or similar) containing the order details such as : select PurchaseOrderID,ProductID,Qty from PurchaseOrder join PurchaseOrderItem...... 2. In a COM+ object (not entirely relevant to the problem, but this is how it will work), I would expe...

Strange error when using offline sync
A couple of users are getting the message below when bringing their laptop and logging on to the domain. First of all, does the message below mean that only items on "Deleted" items failed to sync, or the whole thing fail to sync ? I've seen article that may associate this problem to the server Symantec AV but I already stopped/started Symantec services and problem below still persists. How can I solve this ? Is this a back end related problem ? 16:12:16 Synchronizing Mailbox 'My user' 16:12:16 Synchronizing Hierarchy 16:12:17 Synchronizing Favorites 16:12:17 Synchro...

How do I send out a survey using excel?
Is it possible to build and send out a survey to a specific user group in an Office application? Most likely yes, but need more information in order to assist you "Mas" <Mas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0742EDFE-2A2E-46B7-967F-FC4DEF577F3D@microsoft.com... : Is it possible to build and send out a survey to a specific user group in an : Office application? ...

Using MBCS in a UNICODE defined project
Hi, my project has the UNICODE and _UNICODE macros defined. I want to display a lot of chinese text, and this is working well for me. However, within the code, I make a call to a function: TestFunction(char * input); I need to supply it with MBCS format. So I use a T2A().... TestFunction(T2A(input)); and all is good (assuming the string is english alphabet chars). However.. that "input" string is read from a text file. If the input string is something like this.. "abcdefgXXXhigjklmop" - where "XXX" denotes some chinese MBCS chars If i read that string my proje...

VAT report should be to print without using system password
Currently when print VAT report (used for UK), tools-routines-company-vat return, need to enter system password and then can print report. Should be able to print VAT report without entering system password. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.m...

Use arrows to navigate
I just got Excel 2003, and had a strange problem. The arrow keys no longer move the selection box; they scroll through the worksheet. Anybody know how to change this setting? I have looked in the help file, but could not figure it out. Matthew Any chance you hit the scroll lock on the keyboard? Just hit it again to toggle it off. Matthew wrote: > > I just got Excel 2003, and had a strange problem. > > The arrow keys no longer move the selection box; they scroll through the > worksheet. > > Anybody know how to change this setting? I have looked in the help fi...

Excel2000: Is there a way to use name as parameter for ODBC query from Excel table
Hi I have an Excel workbook where dates, started from 01.01.2003 and up to some year in future (2011 at moment), along with some other information (i.e. workday/weekend/holiday, working hours etc.), are listed. This table is read into another workbook, using ODBC query. But the problem is, that I don't need all those future dates. I can't use any functions exept MIN, MAX, SUM and COUNT in query from Excel files, but is there a way to pass a name as parameter. P.e. I define a name: CurrDat=TODAY() and use it in query's WHERE condition, like .... WHERE MyTable.Datefield Is Not Null...

Trying to do Business Cards Using Publisher
I apologize for this, but my previous thread I think maybe was looked at as being closed so I wasn't getting any responses. Please excuse me for being a little impatient here, but I would just love to get some good advice here on how to solve my ongoing problem. So I just started a new thread, but it really is a continuation of my previous one under basically the same heading. It looks like I have a problem here. After I applied my 2 by 3.5 business card graphic to the blank business card template in Publisher by applying it to the Master page, it looked great online and when I p...

Letter Writing assitant to be used with Prospects
Would like to see Letter Writing Assitant to be extended to be used with Prospects. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=73b8a531-e5c3-4d8b-91ae-5b1758b9f1a5&...

Release Version.. using memory big.. because CString in class
Release Version Only Problem.. this simple.. class include member variable CString, make many object and free. but programe using memory size is big and big..(only release version, debug version is correct) ========exam code============== #include <afxtempl.h> class CObj:public CObject { public: __int64 a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h; CString sa,sb,sc,sd,se; }; void TestFunc() { CTypedPtrArray<CPtrArray,CObj*> m_array; CObj *p; for (int i=0;i<120000;i++) { p=new CObj; p->sa="123"; m_array.Add(p); } for (i=0;i<m_array.GetSize();i++) delete m_array[m_array....

excel chart size using inside positioning
Hi, I am trying to standardize the sizes of multiple embedded charts so I can copy the charts into Powerpoint. I can set the PlotArea ..Left,.Height,.Width,.Top numbers, but the left inside gridline of the chart still shifts a little inside the PlotArea, which I assume is related to the read only InsideHeight,InsideWidth, InsideLeft, InsideTop numbers. If you want to set the constant dimensions of the inside area, does anyone know a way to iterate through each chart to make these adjustments? Anyone responding to this may first want to check if there are any responses to the multi-pos...

Close Excel Completely Using VBA #2
Damn.......It does ask me if I want to save the changes. Can this be stopped by adding another code after the Application.Quit Hpoe you can help! Celtic_Avenge -- Celtic_Avenge ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Celtic_Avenger's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1410 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27391 Hmm, it is working for me. Make sure you make a call to Save right before this call. Also make sure you save any other workbooks that might be open. Also make sure if ...

Two seperate identities
Does Outlook have "From" field similar to Outlook Express when sending mail? I want a default email address but be able to choose second address EdwardH >Does Outlook have "From" field similar to Outlook Express when sending mail? >I want a default email address but be able to choose second address What version of Outlook? The menus are different for different versions. I do what you describe all the time. -- Brian Tillman Smiths Aerospace 3290 Patterson Ave. SE, MS 1B3 Grand Rapids, MI 49512-1991 Brian.Tillman is the name, smiths-aerospace.com is the domain. ...

Is there any way to use CView in Dialog Based App window?
Hi all Is there any way to use CView in Dialog Based App window? I want to use CView for drawings lines/rectangle etc etc Regards Nas You don't need the CView class. Just change your Dialog's OnPaint function and draw your lines and rectangles in there. Regards Guido On Jun 26, 5:43 am, "Guido Franzke" <guido...@yahoo.de> wrote: > You don't need the CView class. > Just change your Dialog's OnPaint function and draw your lines and > rectangles in there. > Regards Guido Ok...thanks for ur help...what will happen if i add button/ edit box etc an...

Automatically create trend table using symbols
Good evening, A client wants to create a table of data for a PowerPoint presentation, where tolerance to budget is indicated by a symbol: one symbol for <5% variance to budget; a second symbol for 6-10% variance to budget, and a third symbol for >10% variance to budget. Of course, it could be done manually but he wants to automatically insert a symbol for each of the three ranges. Is there an easy way to do this? thanks, Christine -- cmbl ------------------------------------------------------------------------ cmbl's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=geti...

Using text box enabled property on a continuous form
I have a continuous form with a text box that I would like to enable/ disable based on a condition within each iteration of the continuous form. I have a combo box that has a hidden boolean column. I want the text box to only be enabled if that column's value is -1 (True). I have VBA logic to change the Enabled property based on this that works fine, the only problem is that it changes ALL of the iterations of the said text box throughout the entire continuous form. Is there any way to localize this behavior only to the current iteration? Thanks! That was my impression of how they w...

Anybody using OWA 2003 and giving up on Outlook Application ?
Clearly, OWA 2003 UI looks very functional. We have Out2002 (application) and roll-out to Outlook 2003application would require lots of work. Any thought on suggesting people to stick to OWA 2003 instead ? Does that work well instead of rolling out Out application ? I guess we are moving toward a web services trend anyway... Marlon Brown wrote: > Clearly, OWA 2003 UI looks very functional. > We have Out2002 (application) and roll-out to Outlook 2003application > would require lots of work. > > Any thought on suggesting people to stick to OWA 2003 instead ? Does > that wor...

Render a RDLC report using VBscripts
I have an application that is not developed in Visual Studio but is connecting to a SQL database and is utilizing a RDLC report. Does anybody have any code that would only be a VB script file to render the report instead of creating a form in VB and running an exe to accomplish this? ...

If function using a list of criteria
i am using the If function, but i wish to expand the logical test criteria. I had three names that the cell could not equal, and previously did this by using three *AND(not = to)* instructions. Now however this has expanded to over a hundred names that i want the target to not equal. short of writing out 100 more AND commands in the if function how can i achieve this? The list of names i want to exclude are in the same excel file - could i perhaps link the if function to the table? any help greatly appreciated thanks Hi Use VLOOKUP for this. See http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions02....

Using a form in Excel to Filter
I would like to create a form in Excel that is similar to a form in Access. This form will hold all fields on the underlying spreadsheet and enable the user to sort using combo box dropdowns. Ideally, the form would have a button titled RUN that will take all the data the user selects in the combos and filter the underlying spreadsheet. Can this be done?? If so....you will save my life! TIA, Chris Try this Add-in http://www.rondebruin.nl/easyfilter.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl <ccfatzin@ibtco.com> wrote in message news:1122677766.648239.226910@z14g200...

Can I use a variable for a table name in a SQL statement using VBA
I'm trying to append data from one table to another using a SQL string in VBA but the table names are always changing so I want to use variables for the table names. Any ideas? Ambushsinger - Yes, you can do this. Set up variable to hold the SQL string (e.g. strSQL), and build your code into the string. For example: strSQL = "INSERT INTO [" & strIntoTableName & "] SELECT * FROM [" & strFromTableName & "];" Debug.Print strSQL The Debug.Print statement will display the evaluated code in the immediate window if you have t...

Finalyzing RPC over HTTP setup
I've read a message thread posted here that helped me get started with this new feature; however, I'm stuck and can't really point out where the problem is. I followed the steps on the Exchange Server 2003 Deployment Guide and I think I have done those steps properly. One of my questions is: Do I have to open ports 593 and 6001-6004 on my PIX firewall to point to my front-end server? One thing to point out, my current front-end server also acts as my OWA (with SSL) server - will this cause a problem? I've tried to connect from outside (Internet) and Outlook never conn...