Cannot send external email

We are running Exchange 5.5 and cannot send external email
all of a sudden.  My firewall folks tell me that there's a
ton of messages sent from my domain using a null address
and that's blocking everything from getting out.  However
I cannot see a buildup of outgoing messages in the MTS out
queues.

Has anyone encountered this before and what was/is the fix?

Thanks,
Steve
0
anonymous (74722)

Can you first verify connection to an external SMTP Server on Port 25?  Can
you then ping an external Exchange Server by Name?

--
John Oliver, Jr.
MCSE, MCT, CCNA, Exchange MVP

"Steve" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We are running Exchange 5.5 and cannot send external email
> all of a sudden.  My firewall folks tell me that there's a
> ton of messages sent from my domain using a null address
> and that's blocking everything from getting out.  However
> I cannot see a buildup of outgoing messages in the MTS out
> queues.
>
> Has anyone encountered this before and what was/is the fix?
>
> Thanks,
> Steve

0
jcoliverjr (1013)
8/9/2004 3:00:20 PM
Yes to both, I can also telnet into other mail servers on port 110 and 25

"John Oliver, Jr. (MVP)" <jcoliverjr@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Can you first verify connection to an external SMTP Server on Port 25?
Can
> you then ping an external Exchange Server by Name?
>
> --
> John Oliver, Jr.
> MCSE, MCT, CCNA, Exchange MVP
> Microsoft Certified Partner
>

> "Steve" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > We are running Exchange 5.5 and cannot send external email
> > all of a sudden.  My firewall folks tell me that there's a
> > ton of messages sent from my domain using a null address
> > and that's blocking everything from getting out.  However
> > I cannot see a buildup of outgoing messages in the MTS out
> > queues.
> >
> > Has anyone encountered this before and what was/is the fix?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Steve

0
me508 (1)
8/9/2004 11:26:10 PM
I would check for viruses on your network regarding the null address issue.
When you send an external mail does the IMC Outbound Queue show the message
leaving?  You need to verify that the mail is leaving your IMC.

--

"Stevo" <me@private.com> wrote in message
> Yes to both, I can also telnet into other mail servers on port 110 and 25
>

> "John Oliver, Jr. (MVP)" <jcoliverjr@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Can you first verify connection to an external SMTP Server on Port 25?
> Can
> > you then ping an external Exchange Server by Name?
> >
> > --
> > John Oliver, Jr.
> > MCSE, MCT, CCNA, Exchange MVP
> > Microsoft Certified Partner
> >

> > "Steve" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > We are running Exchange 5.5 and cannot send external email
> > > all of a sudden.  My firewall folks tell me that there's a
> > > ton of messages sent from my domain using a null address
> > > and that's blocking everything from getting out.  However
> > > I cannot see a buildup of outgoing messages in the MTS out
> > > queues.
> > >
> > > Has anyone encountered this before and what was/is the fix?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Steve

0
jcoliverjr (1013)

Multiple copies of just one email
I'm using Outlook 2002 on Windows XP professional and I keep receiving a new copy of one email message every time I open Outlook or it performs a timed send/receive. All other email messages have been fine, i.e. just one copy. Would this be a problem with my computer that I can fix, a problem with the sender's computer that she can fix, or is something else the matter? I only get one copy of all other messages from the same sender. If anyone else is having this problem, I received an answer in the Office-Outlook-General Questions Discussion Group. I was able to log into my ...

Send and Receive as
How do I stop the inheritance from above to the Domain Admins group when inside System Mananger? I'm just trying to grant "Send and Receive as" to run ExMerge. You don't want to stop the inheritance. If this is Exchange 2000, grant explicit allows on the properties of the Mailbox Store. Explicit allows will override inherited Deny's -- Nicholas Basile(MSFT) nicbas@online.microsoft.com Microsoft PSS Please do not send email directly to this alias is for newsgroup purposes only!. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. ...

Benifits of tracking number on email subject line
According to the Techknowledge article https://mbs.microsoft.com/knowledgebase/techknowledge.aspx turning off the tracking number results in the loss of the Microsoft CRM system's ability to automatically track incoming e-mail. Can someone please explain which trcking functionality are we loosing here ? What are the other benifits of having the tracking number ? Thanks. Sorry, I didn't give the right link. http://mbs.microsoft.com/techknowledge/techknowledge.asp? id=34747&target=PS Document ID: 34747 >-----Original Message----- >According to the Techknowledge arti...

Deploy Send/Receive groups
I want to deploy cached mode and a custom Send/Receive group that downloads the OAB every 4 hours to existing Outlook 2003 users. I was able to use the Custom Maintenance Wizard to generate a CMW file, and via a login script was able to update existing Outlook profiles to use cached mode. However, it appears that because the new Send/Receive group gets applied via registry entries to HKCU, the user would need local admin rights. Not all of our users have local admin rights. What would be th ebest way to deploy Send/Receive groups to existing Outlook 2003 profiles for users who do not have l...

Public Folder Contacts for addressing email in OWA
OK, Exchange 2003 SP2, users can access OWA just fine. They can view a shared calendar in Public folders... they can view a shared contacts file in Public folders... what I cannot seem to be able to get to work... is a way for users to address new emails using the shared contacts in Public folders. Clicking "To" or "find" does not allow you to select the contacts listed in the Public folders. Can this be done? I don't think there is anyway to make a public folder Contacts folder visible in OWA. Maybe someone like Messageware (www.messageware.com) has an add-on ...

exchange 2007 delayed sending
a while ago I posted a message about delayed sending being stuck in the outbox in outlook 2007 outlook can not be closed as then the email is not send now I am trying to do the same but using outlook in online modus instead, the messages are now send immediately this even though the message header in outlook clearly states that the message is not to be delivered before "date and time" (in the future) how can I find out why this feature is not working (as expected) thnx This artical is very useful and it applies to Exchange/Outlook 2007 as well http://blogs...

auto reply email entering queue
How can I configure an autoreply function to a queue so that sender get a message back as soon he send something to a queue? I wanted to use a workflow but it seems we cannot add workflow to queues. Any idea ? -- Christophe As far as i remember this is not possible because the Exchange-Account which is used for the queue has to be "disabled". Maybe you can configure Exchange as it would auto-forward incoming mails for your queue to another Exchange-User and try to get auto-reply work this way. Another option -which is highly unsupported- is to create a trigger on Activity-Tabl...

Forward multiple email messages at the same time in Outlook
How do I forward multiple email messages at the same time in Outlook? -- Message posted via OfficeKB.com http://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/outlook/201005/1 Insert the individual e-mail items into one new mail message and send that message. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. ALWAYS post your Outlook version. How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 After furious head scratching, Shawn76 via OfficeKB.com asked: | How do I forward multiple email messages at the same time in Outlook?...

Send and receive with Outlook Express but only receive with Outlook?
Hi, Just had a quick look at a friends computer who runs his own business, he can't send mail with Outlook. Mail leaves his PC via his ISDN router, goes around his ISP's network for 3-4 hours and then bounces back. Tried with Outlook express and it works perfectly. I've looked at both configurations and they seem to be the same... He can receive mail in Outlook, just won't send. Any ideas? Thanks Daz (replace (AT) with @ ;-)) Daz N <darren(AT)clara.co.uk> wrote: > Just had a quick look at a friends computer who runs his own > business, he can't s...

send to recipient mail as attachment
when I try to send an open word file by selecting send to recipient as attachment it simply opens up outlook with the mentioned document in attachment when a perticular user tries to do this she gets an error message bottom line is that this functionality only works for some people and it will never work for others where can I find info on how to solve this by changing settings in office or in the registry or whatever I have already googled and only found pointers to mapi errors telling me absolutely nothing new they all state that this is happening because outlook or outlook express...

How do I insert a logo into outgoing email in Outlook?
I want to creat stationery in Outlook that has my company logo at the top. When I try to create stationery and insert the logo, the entire page is filled with many logos. ...

email attachments #12
Outlook removes access to every attachment I receive. How do I stop this so I can view the attachments? ...

Outbox message about unsent emails.
Every time I sign off Windows Live Mail I get this message. You have unsent messages in your outbox. Do you want to send them now? It does not matter if I say yes, the message still comes back. I have checked my outbox and there are no messages pending. I am using Window 7 Ultimate 64 bit. Now do I get rid of this message. Check the Outbox folder in the Windows Live Mail (WLM) program. If you don't see any messages, select View (ALT+V), Show or Hide and make sure that Show all Messages is selected. You may need to select File (ALT+F), Work Offline in order to be able to ...

Cannot delete email message?
Is that something you want help with? If so, you should post a more detailed explanation of the problem to a newsgroup dedicated to supporting your email client. This particular forum is dedicated to MS Access, the database program which comes with MS Office. George "Susan Phelan" <divasue@cox.net> wrote in message news:%23YmPewVVIHA.5396@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > ...

Stopping Outlook sending Email Not Read messages
Hi. I read all my email at work but have a copy sent to another pop3 mailbox which i download at home. I download headers only and then select the messages i wish to keep at home and delete the rest. Since buying a new laptop, its started sending "Email Not Read" receipts to people whose messages i delete at home. This is obviously confusing them as in some cases i've replied to the email i had at work! My previous copy of Outlook never used to do it and i've turned off all read receipts options. Any ideas how i can stop this? Alex ...

External Data and Sheet Protection
I have a sheet that runs automatic external web and database queries...I need to protect the sheet from user changes but when I do the automatic updates are not permitted either. Is there a way to permit auto updates and prevent user changes a the same time? THANKS. Untested: Maybe you could have your query put its data in another sheet (hidden, but unprotected). Then use formulas to return the values to the user's worksheet. nbs wrote: > > I have a sheet that runs automatic external web and > database queries...I need to protect the sheet from user > changes but w...

OWA running on 3 Exchange servers... not redirecting externally
Sorry for the vague subject. Here is what I have going on. I have three Exchange 2000/2003 servers, we'll see ServerA, ServerB, and ServerC. ServerA is located at the main branch and all incoming mail is received here. ServerB and ServerC are branch offices connected via a s2s vpn. My issue is when access OWA externally... I use our FQDN, http://mail.fqdn.com. Well, if the destination mailbox resides on ServerB or ServerC... ServerA attemps to redirect using internal DNS names (ie. http://serverb.domain.local). How can I configure OWA so that it will properly redirect externally? I ...

Legacy driver conversion needs means to identify process sending I
I am still converting a massive and old WDM driver. We found where the old driver copies the Irp->Tail.Overlay.OriginalFileObject in order to identify which process sent the WDFREQUEST. While inspecting MSDN's docs on the IRP struct, we noted that the OriginalFileObject member of Tail.Overlay is not recommended for driver usage. So here is my question: What is the ideal way for a KMDF driver to determine which instance of our DLL (which user mode app) sent the WDFREQUEST? What our driver must do is enforce that one and only one app open certain items like channels o...

POP downloading but not displaying email
I recently installed the Outlook Connector to Windows Live mail account (although I do not know if this has anything to do with the problem). Suddenly, when downloading pop email, the email never actually reaches my Outlook mailboxes. Some email does but the vast majority of it doesn't. On the bottom right of Outlook, it shows downloading of messages but then the messages just disappear. I have looked in the junk folder, deleted folder, even the draft folder but the downloaded messages aren't there. I deleted all of the filters. At this point I don't know what else to do...

Valid Status Code on Email
Hi. After upgrading 3.0 to 4.0, we get this error code when trying to send emails: Does anyone have any resolution/pointers to this problem? Regards K ------- Error Description: 6 is not a valid status code on email. Error Details: 6 is not a valid status code on email. Full Stack: [ArgumentException: 6 is not a valid status code on email. Parameter name: statusCode] [CrmArgumentException: 6 is not a valid status code on email.] at Microsoft.Crm.BusinessEntities.StatusCodeValidator.Validate(EntityMetadata entityMetadata, Int32 stateCode, Int32 statusCode) at Microsoft.Crm.Busine...

How to prevent some users to send internet mails ? (exchange 2003)
Hello all, I try to prevent some users to send mails to ppl outside organisation but without any luck... I tried to add them in the SMTP connector restriction tab but nothing happens, they still can send mails to outside... Can someone help me ? Regards Coer http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/MF025.html -- John Oliver, Jr. MCSE, MCT, CCNA, Exchange MVP Microsoft Certified Partner "Coercitas" <coercitas@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:cascoj$i7q$1@reader1.imaginet.fr... > Hello all, > > > I try to prevent some users to send mails to ppl outside orga...

How to add a picture to an Outlook 2002 signature, without using 'Word as email editor'
We have disabled 'Word as email editor' by group policy. This is essential as we run a Citrix environment and Word as email editor hammers the server processors. However, when I have created a signature with a graphic, it does not work unless 'word as email editor' is enabled. If not, there is just an empty box with a red cross in it. There is a work around where you insert the graphic manually into your email, but this is not a satisfactory solution for users. I'd love to hear any solutions to this. We run Exchange 2003 and Outlook 2002. Cronos ...

Outlook 03 won't send\receive at startup
When I start Outlook 2003, I have to click the send\receive button to receive email. I followed the bulletin that had me copy the current Send\Receive group, but that has had no affect. Any other suggestions to fix the problem? Thanks Your provided no information that would permit an answer. To what "bulletin" are you referring? What are your mail account types and connection types? -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Walt" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:167db01c44835$aaacbb90$a601280a@phx.gbl... > When I start Outlook 2003, I have ...

Takes long time(3 mins) to open an email!
Outlook 2002 When trying to open an email in Outlook, it takes on average 3 minutes. I have re-installed Messenger4.7 as I read in another post from support.microsoft.com, but that does not work. I've also applied all patches that are available...Can't figure out the problem here. Just recently upgraded to WinXP and Office2002, but had problem previous in Office 2000 for about 2 months in Win98. Any suggestions out there...? ...

emails appearing after 4 years, again! #4
I've recieved an email that was sent to me 4 years ago, in my Inbox. What causes this? The Sender is still working with me and he definitely does not have a copy of the letter. ...