Cannot send emai to hotmail accounts from Exchange

Hi,

Setup:

Exchange 2003 running on Sever 2003 on private (192.168) IP
Semi-dynamic IP on cable modem (only changes once or twice a year).
Network connected to cable modem via Linksys router
Public IP not listed in RBL lists
Closed relay
Not running Watchguard (I've read this can sometimes cause problems).

If any of our users attempts to send a message to a hotmail.com email
address, the message just disappears.  The recipient does not receive the
message, and the sender does not get back a failure message.

I assume this is something to do with Hotmail checking our domain record to
make sure the IP is valid.  I've set the FQDN in the SMTP settings to the
domain which points to our (dynamic) IP.  We have control of a DNS server,
so can change the A record if our IP changes (which, while it's dynamic, it
only about once or twice a year, so it's virtually static!).

The thing is, that the server itself is not on a public IP, it's inside our
gateway, so has a local IP of 192.168.0.5.  I'm wondering if messages are
failing because the server thinks it's IP is this 192 address, but when it
talks to Hotmail, hotmail thinks it's IP is out public IP?

If I telnet directly into Hotmail's SMTP, and manually attempt to send a
message (HELO, mail from etc.), then it *appears* to have been accepted, but
still no mail arrives at the hotmail address the message was sent to.

Any ideas how to set this up to allow communication with hotmail?

TIA,
A.

0
Adds21 (11)

Unable to add Exchange DNS name to Recipient Policy
Hi there We recently upgraded to Exchange 2003 from 2000, and I noticed that an entry in the default recipient policy - @servername.domainname - which in turn stamps each user account with a username@servername.domainname address, was missing. On trying to add the rule to the policy again, we get this error:- This domain address cannot be used for a recipient policy because it matches the name of an Exchange server. ID no: c1031340 Exchange System Manager We need the @servername.domainname address to be configured for each user as our workflow system uses this to skip our Linux serve...

how to get same sent items on multiple pc's (exchange)
Hi there! I run Outlook 2003 and use two different PCs (home and work) to access my mail which are both set up as microsoft exchange. It is a webmail account at my university. I love how it works, except that I have this one problem: When I send a mail from home, it does not appear in the sent items at work and vice versa. I have been trying to figure it out for a while now, but to no avail. I think I m missing something simple... Thanks for reading my post. Any help would be much appreciated! Pieka You have not set the default delivery location your Exchange account then ...

Cant transfer from a current account to loan acccount
Hi I am unable to "transfer" from a current account to a loan account. From the current account, I select 'Tranfer', then from the 'To' box, I am unable to find my loan account in that list. Please can you advise the method of paying down a load account from a current account? Thank you in advance. Use Loan Payment and delete the Interest portion in the splits. Set the Principal Transfer amount to the amount you want to transfer. Assumes not Money Essentials (MEss) not Essential Register. "April" <noreply@mail.com> wrote in message news:u...

Not able to set up more than 5 accounts.
Hi Everybody, Im running Outlook 2002 on XP Pro and I've got 5 mail accounts setup and working OK. If I try to set up a 6th account the Outlook Test button gives me all the green ticks but if I try to Send/Receive all the accounts the first 5 accounts work ok but the new account doesn't, the Send and Receive details box reports that "The connection to the server was interrupted". If I delete one of the earlier accounts which are working fine the new account works OK but if I then add the deleted account (which was working fine) this account then reports back with the same ...

GAL and Exchange 2003
I am simply(?) trying to set up some external contacts for our church office so that everyone has access to them all. I have added a contact to AD (and a distribution list) but they refuse to appear in all users or the GAL. We are running SBS2003 with Exchange. I have looked for solutions on Microsoft tech net but cannot seem to find anything. Any help would be very much appreciated.. Andrew/ On Thu, 4 Feb 2010 05:02:02 -0800, AndrewOfAzotus <AndrewOfAzotus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am simply(?) trying to set up some external contacts for our church o...

Inhouse Exchange vs. ISP POP
Hey, I've been out of the Exchange loop for a couple of years, perhaps somebody can fill in my gap in knowledge. Back then I moved my company from ISP pop mail to in-house Exchange MAPI/POP/OWA. Although Exchange gave them great calendaring and contact sharing capabilities I always wondered if it was worth it for the extra admin I had to put in. Plus a major factor was the slowness of OWA coming in through the 2MB ADSL line. It seemed I always regretted it because you can't beat the simplicity and speed of ISP-hosted POP/webmail. Two years later I am a consultant I am faced with th...

Exchange 2000/2003 ASP/ISP Deployment Guide
Hi NG, where has the "Exchange 2000 ASP Deployment Guide" gone? Is there any "Exchange 2003 ASP/ISP Deployment Guide" out there? Any comments, tipps around hosting Exchange 2003 for many "virtual organizations"? Tobias Redelberger StarNET Services (HomeOffice) Schoenbornstr. 57 D-97440 Werneck Tel: +49-(0)9722-4835 Mobil: +49-(0)179-25 98 341 Email: T.Redelberger@starnet-services.net Try this link http://www.kapilaggarwal.com/pdf/Exchange%20Deployment%20Guide.doc "Tobias Redelberger" <T.Redelberger@starnet-services.net> wro...

Exchange user Administrative Group
Hello, We have 25 sites world wide. We close our office in Turkey and all user's inside this site moved to other site. The DC has been decomissioned. Now, after 3 weeks, we wanted to remove the site OU from AD. But, when I checked the user properties under Exchange Advance Tab in AD console, I found user is under the site OU that need to be remove. We would like to remove that site OU from Active Directory. Does it create problem?, when site OU deleted from AD? if yes, can we change it to the site where all the user's belongs currently? appreciate your advise and help. Yonkey...

Exchange Stores
Hi We are running Exchange 2000 + sp3. (Build 6249.4) We have 4 mail stores + public folder store. The stores vary in size up to about 96gb, and are located on their own san drive. The transaction log files are also on their own san drive (65.9Gb drive with currently 62.9Gb free) . We have a problem here that happens infrequently, once every 2 months. The stores dismount (IS still running) and nobody can access email. When attempting to remount the stores they fail, suggeting restart of ESM and IS services. We then restarted the IS service which causes an error to appear on the screen ...

exchange 2003 public folder sync, which one is updated
If I have public folders replicateing between 2 exchange 2003 systems and someone makes a change, which one is updated? The one they are connected to is the one that is updated. Users are connected to the one referred to in the properties of the Mailbox Store that houses their mailbox. "Trey" <Trey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:271997FD-E0BD-469B-A64D-2FC52FB68575@microsoft.com... > If I have public folders replicateing between 2 exchange 2003 systems and > someone makes a change, which one is updated? ...

business portal project accounting #2
When will project accounting functionality be in business portal. We have a high need for business entities based on project data as well as making requisition management integrate with project po's. PA Time & Expense was a good start, although that product lacks alot of functionality, now what about all the other peices to manage projects in Business Portal??? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do n...

Exchange RPC
I'm having terrible trouble getting RPC to work. Is there an article somewhere that shows how to do it step by step for the stupid? Thanks in advance, Beth In Alaska Beth, can you be a bit more specific as to what does not work? RPC just sort of works with Exchange and Outlook. Unless you are going through a firewall. -- Jim McBee Blog - http://mostlyexchange.blogspot.com Directory Update - http://www.directory-update.com "Beth In Alaska" <bethinak@spamfreeclearwire.net> wrote in message news:12shqul9t59i21@corp.supernews.com... > I'm having terribl...

Importing email accounts from Outlook 2000 into 2003 (via iaf files)
Hello there, Summary: How to import Email accounts from Outlook 2000 iaf files (created when exporting) into Outlook 2003. Full details: I done what I thought was a great idea, after having a problem with my PC decided to upgrade to Office 2003 (from 2000) Pro as it was offered to me free (Or I could have taken a memory upgrade). Reading this newsgroup it would seem that was a mistake! My current problem is that I cannot import that many email accounts I had created in outlook 2000. One work around is to import first into Outlook Express 6 and then import from there, but I still have to do...

How do I send a group list without the actual names showing?
Cindy <Cindy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: 1) Ask your question in the BODY, not the subject. 2) Put the addresses in the Bcc field. -- Brian Tillman "Cindy" wrote: > Thanks! ...

Send on behalf issue #4
Hi, I granted Full Mailbox and Send on Behalf permission to a user but when it send e-mails I don't see the text "On behalf of". Why ? I have Exchange 2003 with a Store.exe file version of 6.5.7651.61. Thanks, Stefano In news:emtyRTdUHHA.488@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl, Lorenzo <anonymous@anonymous.com> typed: > Hi, > > I granted Full Mailbox and Send on Behalf permission to a user but > when it send e-mails I don't see the text "On behalf of". > Why ? > > I have Exchange 2003 with a Store.exe file version of 6.5.7651.61. > > Thanks...

Help with exchange 2000 standard
I am new to exchange still reading a text book but love exchange and ad services…. My boss setup exchange 3 years before I started working here and all is well….. However I have encountered a problem with the pop3 segment of exchange… A few of our clients use a Treo 650 with different providers as their carrier. I configure pop3 access from within their mobile devices and it works. The devices are set to leave email on the exchange (instead of like behaving like outlook express would….). The problem here is that the emails on the exchange server are flagged as read. I monitored a us...

OWA/Exchange 2003 and Dictionary for Spell Check
Does anyone know how to add words to the dictionary that OWA uses for spell check on an Exchange 2003 server? thanks, Jason "Jason" <jdheltne@compassnet.com> wrote: >Does anyone know how to add words to the dictionary that OWA uses for spell >check on an Exchange 2003 server? > >thanks, > >Jason > The custom spell check is not supported: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=825430 You'll need to have a look at http://www.slipstick.com/exs/owa.htm I've not yet looked into which packages are certified with E2K3 though. Mark Arnold MCSA MCSE+M MVP,...

Change Exchange server via scripting
We are going to be migrating our exchange server to another machine as part of an upgrade. Is it possible to change the users' account setup from one server to the next via a login script, or does anyone know another way to do it other than visiting each machine. Thanks, Brad Depending on the details of the migration, you might not need to do = anything at all, or this tool might be handy: = http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=3D56F45AC3-448F-= 4CCC-9BD5-B6B52C13B29C&displaylang=3Den --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 ...

Deleting Accounts
My Investments File Properties has 8.94MB 37 Accounts - 46 Portfolios I make a copy (it has 8.94MB) and then change the (copy of Investments) to 1-Investments, it still has 8.94MB. I delete 13 Accounts and 14 Portfolios. I now have 24 and 32 respectively. Yet the Properties for this file (1-Investments) has increased to 9.04MB. WHY??????? How can I have more than I started with??????? It's probable that Money will compact the file sometime in your next several uses. Relational databases do not always react as you might expect in terms of storage requirements. "Dutch" <Dut...

Reliable send keys
Hello I use the code below to open and run ipconfig /all to file. It woks fine on my laptop but is hit-and-miss on other laptops, sometimes running; sometimes producing Enter only; sometimes nothing more than the open cmd window. Is there a way to ensure the code does its job? I was thinking of While Dir produces nothing and shortening the wait time but the thought of the SendKeys disappearing into buffers or elsewhere worries me - running the code in break mode experience :-) Is there another way? Sub RunCMD() Dim ReturnValue sCmd = "ipconfig /all > " &a...

Unable to setup email account
I have got a new machine which runs Windows 2000 pro, I installed MS OFfice XP STD. I go to run outlook for the first time so that I can setup the email account etc. I get the following error message "The operation failed due to a registry or installation problem. Restart Outlook and try again. If the problem persists, please reinstall." I am logged in the machine as administrator and I have reinstalled outlook, even run a repair, nothing appear to be working for me. Excel and Word run OK. Any Help would be greatly appreciated. ...

HELP! Outlook/exchange public folder problem
Hi, We use an outlook custom contacts folder to manage business contacts in the organization. Suddenly all messages in the inbox opens in this custom form (even in preview). What could be the problem? We run SBS 2003 with exchange and clients are OL 2003/07 Any help solving this problem appreciated. KJ If I explain it further, present scenario is; Outlook reading pane got replaced by outlook default contact form. All incoming messages are now previewed in the notes window of the contact form, instead of the usual reading pane. On May 29, 1:01 pm, Kaps <kapil...@gmail.com> wrote:...

Link to send file to an e-mail address
How do I create a link within a workbook to send that workbook to an indicated email address? Thanks. PJ, The following code will create an Outlook MailItem with the current workbook as the attachment Set myOlApp = CreateObject("Outlook.Application") 'Dim myOlApp As New Outlook.Application Set myitem = myOlApp.CreateItem(olMailItem) myitem.Display myitem.Recipients.Add Sheet1.Range("a2").Value myitem.Attachments.Add ThisWorkbook.Path & "\" & ThisWorkbook.Name http://HelpExcel.com "-PJ" wrote: > How do I create a link within a wo...

can access exchange with outlook only as administrator
hello on one of my pcs in the network the user can access outlook only as administrator. i have reinstalled outlook but no difference. there must be a registry defect. can anybody help? thx kewitz Are you sure this is the PC? Have you modified anything on the Exchange box? Ansgar Kewitz wrote: > hello > on one of my pcs in the network the user can access outlook only as > administrator. i have reinstalled outlook but no difference. there > must be a registry defect. can anybody help? > thx > kewitz ...

Using Hotmail through Outlook 2003
Hi i just added a new e-mail account on Outlook 2003 and it is a Hotmail account that is being linked. I was wondering how to hide all of the inbox, junk mail, etc.. files when the person is not logged in because i tried looking at my inbox while I was not logged in and it asked for my password. I simply pressed cancel and all my inbox files were there. How do I fix this? Thanks. ...