Cannot log into other's mailbox "Unable to expand the folder" err

When a user leaves our organization, we disable their 2003 AD account for 30 
days.  I need to give access to the mailbox of one of these accounts to 
someone.  I went their account properties and in mailbox rights I added the 
user and gave them read permission and full mailbox access.  I then went to 
this user's outlook 2003 and gave her permission under "open these additional 
mailboxes" to open the disabled accounts mailbox.  The account shows up in 
the outlook folders but when you click on the + sign, I get the error "Unable 
to expand the folder.  The set of folders could not be opened."

What is wrong here?  Thanks.
0
MrRAlan (16)
7/14/2005 12:02:04 PM
exchange.admin 57650 articles. 2 followers. Follow

4 Replies
485 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 33

Can the user login via Outlook web access?
I think this might be a timing/permissoins not applying properly properly, 
you could try creating another outlook profile and then adding this deleted 
mailbox, and opening outlook and selecting this profile, also try sending 
some emails from other mailboxes to this account.

This KB article might also be worth taking a look at:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=327378

Regards
-- 
Ben Hoffman
MCP (Win2000 Pro/Server & Exchange 2003 Admin)
http://www.ExchangeIS.com

"MrRAlan" <MrRAlan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:DF62D49F-517D-4933-9DC0-E96B4194251C@microsoft.com...
> When a user leaves our organization, we disable their 2003 AD account for 
> 30
> days.  I need to give access to the mailbox of one of these accounts to
> someone.  I went their account properties and in mailbox rights I added 
> the
> user and gave them read permission and full mailbox access.  I then went 
> to
> this user's outlook 2003 and gave her permission under "open these 
> additional
> mailboxes" to open the disabled accounts mailbox.  The account shows up in
> the outlook folders but when you click on the + sign, I get the error 
> "Unable
> to expand the folder.  The set of folders could not be opened."
>
> What is wrong here?  Thanks. 


0
ben.hoffman (411)
7/14/2005 12:56:01 PM
Hi Ben,

I am trying to access this mailbox from two different Outlook profiles.  Not 
the actual owner's of the mailbox.   When I try to send email, I get this 
NDR...

"The message reached the recipient's e-mail system, but delivery was 
refused.  Attempt to resend the message.  If it still fails, contact your 
system administrator."
The KB article didn't help me.  Thanks.

"Ben Hoffman" wrote:

> Can the user login via Outlook web access?
> I think this might be a timing/permissoins not applying properly properly, 
> you could try creating another outlook profile and then adding this deleted 
> mailbox, and opening outlook and selecting this profile, also try sending 
> some emails from other mailboxes to this account.
> 
> This KB article might also be worth taking a look at:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=327378
> 
> Regards
> -- 
> Ben Hoffman
> MCP (Win2000 Pro/Server & Exchange 2003 Admin)
> http://www.ExchangeIS.com
> 
> "MrRAlan" <MrRAlan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:DF62D49F-517D-4933-9DC0-E96B4194251C@microsoft.com...
> > When a user leaves our organization, we disable their 2003 AD account for 
> > 30
> > days.  I need to give access to the mailbox of one of these accounts to
> > someone.  I went their account properties and in mailbox rights I added 
> > the
> > user and gave them read permission and full mailbox access.  I then went 
> > to
> > this user's outlook 2003 and gave her permission under "open these 
> > additional
> > mailboxes" to open the disabled accounts mailbox.  The account shows up in
> > the outlook folders but when you click on the + sign, I get the error 
> > "Unable
> > to expand the folder.  The set of folders could not be opened."
> >
> > What is wrong here?  Thanks. 
> 
> 
> 
0
MrRAlan (16)
7/15/2005 11:23:05 AM
If you disable the account, nobody will be able to access the mailbox.
If you want to access the mailbox, enable the account.

0
hardymark (15)
7/15/2005 9:33:40 PM
I don't think that is true.  I have a bunch of disabled accounts in our 
domain whose mailboxes are being accessed by users in another domain.  For 
these accounts, I assigned the "Read permission", "Full mailbox access" and 
"Associated
external account" rights to the the SELF account.  I then assigned "full 
mailbox access" to the other doamin user and that works fine.

"mark" wrote:

> If you disable the account, nobody will be able to access the mailbox.
> If you want to access the mailbox, enable the account.
> 
> 
0
MrRAlan (16)
7/18/2005 1:02:04 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Unable to Expand the folder
I am using Outlook 2000. I am unable to expand the Personal Folder to see any of the folders like deleted, sent, outbox, my personal folders, and others. The Shortcuts to the left side work ok, but however not all of my folders had a shortcut created. I would like some assistance if possible. ...

Unable to expand the folder
Can anyone shed light on the message I receive when I add another mailbox to Microsoft Exchange Server 5.5 service in Outlook? "Unable to expand the folder. The set of folders could not be opened. The operation failed." Thanks in advance. On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 19:25:32 -0500, "M&M" <not.my.real@email.address> wrote: >Can anyone shed light on the message I receive when I add another mailbox to >Microsoft Exchange Server 5.5 service in Outlook? > >"Unable to expand the folder. The set of folders could not be opened. The >operation failed....

Outlook error "unable to expand the folder"
Hello, here is my situation : I have a client who was connecting to Exchange running on SBS 2003 with Outlook 2003. He installed Office 2002 Professonal over Office 2003 (including overwriting Outlook 2003...he just wanted to get MS Access and only had a 2002 cd). He has been unable to connect to the exchange server since. I suggested, and he did uninstall Office 2002, and reinstalled Office 2003, to no effect. I have recreated his Outlook profile, and get an 'underlined', resolved name for the Exchange server componenet of the profile. When He tries to expand his Mailbox-John Smith ...

"Unable to expand the folder. the operation failed. an object could not be found
Hi, when adding a mailbox to my outlook, i get the folllowing error when i try to open the mailbox, "Unable to expand the folder. the operation failed. an object could not be found" Any ideas? Regards Damien If you made a recent permission change on the mailbox, it could take up to 120 minutes to take effect, (If using Exchange 5.5) Try to open that users inbox folder: file>open>open other user's folder and see if you can open it. If you can, you'll have to modify the top level permission at that mailbox. Regards Daniel Lozano "Damien Brennan" &...

Cannot log into other's mailbox "Unable to expand the folder" err
When a user leaves our organization, we disable their 2003 AD account for 30 days. I need to give access to the mailbox of one of these accounts to someone. I went their account properties and in mailbox rights I added the user and gave them read permission and full mailbox access. I then went to this user's outlook 2003 and gave her permission under "open these additional mailboxes" to open the disabled accounts mailbox. The account shows up in the outlook folders but when you click on the + sign, I get the error "Unable to expand the folder. The set of folders ...

OL 2002
OL 2002 was working just fine until today. When I try to open my PST folder which is on a file server I get "Unable to expand the folder. The set of folders could not be opened." The rest of the message lists the file path. I rebooted, went into control panel unattached and reattached but no luck. The file server has lots of free disk space and the PST is at 496MB in size. Anyone have any ideas? The .PST file may have gotten corrupted. Try running the Inbox Repair Tool against it to see if it finds any errors. Search your drive for a file called scanpst.exe and run i...

Outlook says: unable to expand the folder
Hi all I have a user that logs on her domain pc as Membership. She do a mailbox for this username named "Membership". She also has her own mailbox opened in outlook named "Illse" which is her name. This one i did add throught Tools > Accounts > Change > Advanced Tab, etc, etc. Now she needs to ba able to see a third mailbox called "Trudy" > If i add this mailbox on exactly the same way and want to open the mailbox in outlook outlook says " unable to expand the folder". Why is it doing this while it opens the second mailbox successful...