Cannot Change Distribution List Membership Though Outlook

I've got something misconfigured on my Exchange Server (2003), but I don't
know where to look to fix it.  We've got a multi-domain setup where all mail
servers are running in the top level domain.  We've created additional
Recipient Policies for each sub-domain and the sub-domains have had
/domainprep run on them to update their AD Schemas.  Mail routing works fine
as does any other day-to-day operation.  The exception has to do with
distribution list managers not being able to update the membership of any DL
they manage.

I've made sure that each DL has a manager set and that the "Manager can
update membership list" option has been checked.  However, when attempting
to commit any changes to DL made via Outlook, a "you do not have sufficient
permissions to perform this operation" type message is displayed.  This
problem only occurs if the DL is in a sub-domain - if it's in the root
domain there are not any issues, even if the manager is from a sub-domain.
Are there some sort of permissions that I need to delegate to the Exchange
Servers?

Thanks,

dln.

"dln" <dnadon_nospm@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I've got something misconfigured on my Exchange Server (2003), but I don't
>know where to look to fix it.  We've got a multi-domain setup where all mail
>servers are running in the top level domain.  We've created additional
>Recipient Policies for each sub-domain and the sub-domains have had
>/domainprep run on them to update their AD Schemas.  Mail routing works fine
>as does any other day-to-day operation.  The exception has to do with
>distribution list managers not being able to update the membership of any DL
>they manage.
>
>I've made sure that each DL has a manager set and that the "Manager can
>update membership list" option has been checked.  However, when attempting
>to commit any changes to DL made via Outlook, a "you do not have sufficient
>permissions to perform this operation" type message is displayed.  This
>problem only occurs if the DL is in a sub-domain - if it's in the root
>domain there are not any issues, even if the manager is from a sub-domain.
>Are there some sort of permissions that I need to delegate to the Exchange
>Servers?

This isn't an Exchange problem. It isn't even an Active Directory
problem. The problem  is the Outlook client.

When someone has this problem, open the address book and make sure the
"Global Address List" is selected in the "Show names from the:"
drop-down list. Then right-click the "Global Address List" and display
its properties. If the GC isn't in the same domain as the user AND the
group then you've discovered the problem.

The GC in another domain won't have a writable copy of the object.

You'll have to arrange your GC's so users only get the ones in the
domain with the group they want to manage. That's a problem if the
groups are in different domains.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

dln wrote:
> That is indeed the problem - good to know!  Thanks for the response.
>
> "Rich Matheisen [MVP]" <richnews@rmcons.com.NOSPAM.COM> wrote in message
> > "dln" <dnadon_nospm@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >>I've got something misconfigured on my Exchange Server (2003), but I don't
> >>know where to look to fix it.  We've got a multi-domain setup where all
> >>mail
> >>servers are running in the top level domain.  We've created additional
> >>Recipient Policies for each sub-domain and the sub-domains have had
> >>/domainprep run on them to update their AD Schemas.  Mail routing works
> >>fine
> >>as does any other day-to-day operation.  The exception has to do with
> >>distribution list managers not being able to update the membership of any
> >>DL
> >>they manage.
> >>
> >>I've made sure that each DL has a manager set and that the "Manager can
> >>update membership list" option has been checked.  However, when attempting
> >>to commit any changes to DL made via Outlook, a "you do not have
> >>sufficient
> >>permissions to perform this operation" type message is displayed.  This
> >>problem only occurs if the DL is in a sub-domain - if it's in the root
> >>domain there are not any issues, even if the manager is from a sub-domain.
> >>Are there some sort of permissions that I need to delegate to the Exchange
> >>Servers?
> >
> > This isn't an Exchange problem. It isn't even an Active Directory
> > problem. The problem  is the Outlook client.
> >
> > When someone has this problem, open the address book and make sure the
> > "Global Address List" is selected in the "Show names from the:"
> > drop-down list. Then right-click the "Global Address List" and display
> > its properties. If the GC isn't in the same domain as the user AND the
> > group then you've discovered the problem.
> >
> > The GC in another domain won't have a writable copy of the object.
> >
> > You'll have to arrange your GC's so users only get the ones in the
> > domain with the group they want to manage. That's a problem if the
> > groups are in different domains.
> >
> > --
> > Rich Matheisen
> > MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
> > MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm
> > Don't send mail to this address mailto:h.pott@getronics.com

We have a forest root domain and multiple domain trees for each company
in our organization.  When I right-click to view the properties of the
Global Address List as suggested above, sure enough it is pointing the
the GC in the forest root domain, while the user and distribution lists
are in a different domain.  How does one "arrange your GC's so users
only get the ones in the domain with the group they want to manage?"

"tmiller" <tmiller@mcclatchy.com> wrote:

					[ snip ]

>We have a forest root domain and multiple domain trees for each company
>in our organization.  When I right-click to view the properties of the
>Global Address List as suggested above, sure enough it is pointing the
>the GC in the forest root domain, while the user and distribution lists
>are in a different domain.  How does one "arrange your GC's so users
>only get the ones in the domain with the group they want to manage?"

That would depend on the software you use.

1. Exchange server will supply the GC.
2. Outlook 2003 can find its own GC.
3. Outlook 2002
4. Outlook 2000
5. Outlook 98, 97, Exchange client

1 & 2 => use AD sites to control the GC's "seen"
3     => depends on whether you modified the user registries
4     => I forget
5     => the Exchange server proxies. See #1

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
Rich Matheisen [MVP] wrote:
> "tmiller" <tmiller@mcclatchy.com> wrote:
>
> 					[ snip ]
>
> >We have a forest root domain and multiple domain trees for each company
> >in our organization.  When I right-click to view the properties of the
> >Global Address List as suggested above, sure enough it is pointing the
> >the GC in the forest root domain, while the user and distribution lists
> >are in a different domain.  How does one "arrange your GC's so users
> >only get the ones in the domain with the group they want to manage?"
>
> That would depend on the software you use.
>
> 1. Exchange server will supply the GC.
> 2. Outlook 2003 can find its own GC.
> 3. Outlook 2002
> 4. Outlook 2000
> 5. Outlook 98, 97, Exchange client
>
> 1 & 2 => use AD sites to control the GC's "seen"
> 3     => depends on whether you modified the user registries
> 4     => I forget
> 5     => the Exchange server proxies. See #1
>
> --
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

The forest root domain is Windows 2003; Exchange 2000 is on a Windows
2000 OS. The domain that Exchange 2000 sits in has two DCs - one is
Win2000 (the GC) the other is Windows 2003.  Still not sure how to
control the GC's "seen" with AD sites & services;  Looking at the
Directory Access Tab of the server properties in Exchange System
Manager, I can control which GCs are listed.  Right now two are listed
- the one in the .root domain and the one in the .local domain.  Do you
have information on how to modify the user registries in #3.

"tmiller" <tmiller@mcclatchy.com> wrote:

					[ snip ]

>The forest root domain is Windows 2003; Exchange 2000 is on a Windows
>2000 OS. The domain that Exchange 2000 sits in has two DCs - one is
>Win2000 (the GC) the other is Windows 2003.

Which version of the AD you're using doesn't matter.

>Still not sure how to
>control the GC's "seen" with AD sites & services;

How many AD sites do you have? In which ones are the DC/GC's? The
Exchange servers? The Outlook users?

With a small network and multiple domains you may either have to alter
each client's registry or find (or write) a tool to manage group
membership independat of Outlook.

>Looking at the
>Directory Access Tab of the server properties in Exchange System
>Manager, I can control which GCs are listed.  Right now two are listed
>- the one in the .root domain and the one in the .local domain.  Do you
>have information on how to modify the user registries in #3.

It's the 'DS Server' registry value.

These are all for OL2000 and 2002:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en;256976
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en;304956
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;317209
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en;319206
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en;272290

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Moving from Outlook Express to Outlook

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

Outlook Sales

Outlook 2002 (office xp developer suite)

Outlook 2003 Drag and Drop Emails

using the journal on outlook

contact list #13

Change position ID in HR