Can't change authentication methods on HTTP Virtual Server

Trying to change Authentication Methods for Exchange properties in my HTTP
Virtual Server and it is grayed out. I read a document explaining not to use
IIS console to do this. Well, I can't do it from here. I am not sure if this
is some kind of a security setting. I am logged in as Administrator.

Help is greatly appreciated
0
George6668 (260)

Are you trying to do this from Exchange System Manager, Server,
Protocols, HTTP, Exchange Virtual Server? If so, you are correct, you
should not make changes through here. You want to change it throuhg
IIS. Go to Start, Program Files, Administrative Tools, Internet
Information Services Manager.

James Chong

George wrote:
> Trying to change Authentication Methods for Exchange properties in my HTTP
> Virtual Server and it is grayed out. I read a document explaining not to use
> IIS console to do this. Well, I can't do it from here. I am not sure if this
> is some kind of a security setting. I am logged in as Administrator.
>

> Help is greatly appreciated

0
jamestechman (1266)
4/5/2006 8:34:07 PM
Normally, the only time that authentication methods are grayed out in ESM is
when you have enabled Forms-based authentication.  Have you done that?  If
so, then you do indeed need to use IIS Admin to change the auth settings.

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

"George" <George@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Trying to change Authentication Methods for Exchange properties in my HTTP
> Virtual Server and it is grayed out. I read a document explaining not to
> use
> IIS console to do this. Well, I can't do it from here. I am not sure if
> this
> is some kind of a security setting. I am logged in as Administrator.
>

> Help is greatly appreciated

0
Ben
4/5/2006 8:53:36 PM
I do have forms enabled but I am not sure if we are using it. What would
forms-based do for us? There is an article that says NOT to do it from IIS as
Exchange runs some process every 15 minutes or atleast on reboot will change
all of the settings back to what it shows in ESM. Is that correct? Here is
the doc:

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Securing-Exchange-Server-2003-Outlook-Web-Access-Chapter5.html

Thanks, George

"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:

> Normally, the only time that authentication methods are grayed out in ESM is
> when you have enabled Forms-based authentication.  Have you done that?  If
> so, then you do indeed need to use IIS Admin to change the auth settings.
>
> --
> Ben Winzenz
> Exchange MVP
> MessageOne
> Read my blog!
> http://winzenz.blogspot.com
> http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed)
>

> "George" <George@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Trying to change Authentication Methods for Exchange properties in my HTTP
> > Virtual Server and it is grayed out. I read a document explaining not to
> > use
> > IIS console to do this. Well, I can't do it from here. I am not sure if
> > this
> > is some kind of a security setting. I am logged in as Administrator.
> >

> > Help is greatly appreciated

0
George6668 (260)
4/6/2006 4:07:02 AM
I'm aware of the document, but I'm telling you that if you have Forms-based
authentication enabled, the only place you CAN change it is in IIS Manager.
That is the only time when authentication settings should be changed in IIS
Manager.

I know Henrik - I'll ask him to add a note or update the article indicating
that if you are running FBA, you have to change the auth settings from IIS
Manager.

As for your first question, Forms-based authentication is what gives you the
OWA logon page (instead of a simple password box prompt).  It also
introduces the concept of cookie-based sessions that will timeout after a
certain amount of time.  If you have any users that use OWA, Forms-based
authentication is definitely the best way to go.

--

>I do have forms enabled but I am not sure if we are using it. What would
> forms-based do for us? There is an article that says NOT to do it from IIS
> as
> Exchange runs some process every 15 minutes or atleast on reboot will
> change
> all of the settings back to what it shows in ESM. Is that correct? Here is
> the doc:
>
> http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Securing-Exchange-Server-2003-Outlook-Web-Access-Chapter5.html
>
> Thanks, George
>
> "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Normally, the only time that authentication methods are grayed out in ESM
>> is
>> when you have enabled Forms-based authentication.  Have you done that?
>> If
>> so, then you do indeed need to use IIS Admin to change the auth settings.
>>
>> --
>> Ben Winzenz
>> Exchange MVP
>> MessageOne
>> Read my blog!
>> http://winzenz.blogspot.com
>> http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed)
>>

>> "George" <George@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Trying to change Authentication Methods for Exchange properties in my
>> > HTTP
>> > Virtual Server and it is grayed out. I read a document explaining not
>> > use
>> > IIS console to do this. Well, I can't do it from here. I am not sure if
>> > this
>> > is some kind of a security setting. I am logged in as Administrator.
>> >

>> > Help is greatly appreciated

0
Ben
4/6/2006 1:19:08 PM
Thank you. Is there a document that explains how to use external Certificate
Authority and which one should I get from Verisign that is already
preinstalled on mobile devices? Thanks in advance, George

"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:

> I'm aware of the document, but I'm telling you that if you have Forms-based
> authentication enabled, the only place you CAN change it is in IIS Manager.
> That is the only time when authentication settings should be changed in IIS
> Manager.
>
> I know Henrik - I'll ask him to add a note or update the article indicating
> that if you are running FBA, you have to change the auth settings from IIS
> Manager.
>
> As for your first question, Forms-based authentication is what gives you the
> OWA logon page (instead of a simple password box prompt).  It also
> introduces the concept of cookie-based sessions that will timeout after a
> certain amount of time.  If you have any users that use OWA, Forms-based
> authentication is definitely the best way to go.
>
> --
> Ben Winzenz
> Exchange MVP
> MessageOne
> Read my blog!
> http://winzenz.blogspot.com
> http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed)
>

> "George" <George@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I do have forms enabled but I am not sure if we are using it. What would
> > forms-based do for us? There is an article that says NOT to do it from IIS
> > as
> > Exchange runs some process every 15 minutes or atleast on reboot will
> > change
> > all of the settings back to what it shows in ESM. Is that correct? Here is
> > the doc:
> >
> > http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Securing-Exchange-Server-2003-Outlook-Web-Access-Chapter5.html
> >
> > Thanks, George
> >
> > "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Normally, the only time that authentication methods are grayed out in ESM
> >> is
> >> when you have enabled Forms-based authentication.  Have you done that?
> >> If
> >> so, then you do indeed need to use IIS Admin to change the auth settings.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ben Winzenz
> >> Exchange MVP
> >> MessageOne
> >> Read my blog!
> >> http://winzenz.blogspot.com
> >> http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed)
> >>

> >> "George" <George@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
George6668 (260)
4/7/2006 3:25:02 PM
I'm not sure what you are asking.  Most (if not all) external certificate
authorities have instructions on their website regarding how to generate the
ssl request.  If they don't, the procedure is simple.  From your webserver,
you choose to create a new certificate request, and when given the choice,
you simply choose to "prepare the request now, but submit it later".  This
creates a text file with the certificate request that you can submit to the
external CA.

As far as mobile devices, I'd venture to say that virtually *any* third
party cert should work.  They should all chain back to a trusted root
somehow - Windows Mobile devices have many of the same root certificates
that Windows does.  There is no requirement to use Verisign (they are one of
the most expensive CA's).  I'd look at the different prices from many
vendors.  You may even want to ask them if their certificate chains back to
a trusted root CA that exists on Windows Mobile devices.  In the past, I've
used Thawte (which, incidentally, is owned by Verisign, but offers much
cheaper prices).  Currently, we use a Comodo cert, which I believe also
works fine on Windows Mobile.

A word of caution though.  Don't get a wildcard cert.  If you do, it will
not work on Windows Mobile devices unless you disable certificate checking
(not possible on all devices).

--

> Thank you. Is there a document that explains how to use external
> Certificate
> Authority and which one should I get from Verisign that is already
> preinstalled on mobile devices? Thanks in advance, George
>
> "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:
>
>> I'm aware of the document, but I'm telling you that if you have
>> Forms-based
>> authentication enabled, the only place you CAN change it is in IIS
>> Manager.
>> That is the only time when authentication settings should be changed in
>> IIS
>> Manager.
>>
>> I know Henrik - I'll ask him to add a note or update the article
>> indicating
>> that if you are running FBA, you have to change the auth settings from
>> IIS
>> Manager.
>>
>> As for your first question, Forms-based authentication is what gives you
>> the
>> OWA logon page (instead of a simple password box prompt).  It also
>> introduces the concept of cookie-based sessions that will timeout after a
>> certain amount of time.  If you have any users that use OWA, Forms-based
>> authentication is definitely the best way to go.
>>
>> --
>> Ben Winzenz
>> Exchange MVP
>> MessageOne
>> Read my blog!
>> http://winzenz.blogspot.com
>> http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed)
>>

>> "George" <George@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I do have forms enabled but I am not sure if we are using it. What would
>> > forms-based do for us? There is an article that says NOT to do it from
>> > IIS
>> > as
>> > Exchange runs some process every 15 minutes or atleast on reboot will
>> > change
>> > all of the settings back to what it shows in ESM. Is that correct? Here
>> > is
>> > the doc:
>> >
>> > http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Securing-Exchange-Server-2003-Outlook-Web-Access-Chapter5.html
>> >
>> > Thanks, George

0
Ben
4/7/2006 4:05:28 PM
Thanks. You mostly answered my question. I was reading some documentation and
realized that local CA will produce a certificate but I would need to load it
to every mobile device. I like an idea of a Public one so we can omit copy
step. This will also work fine for OWA? The same certificate?

> [...]

> >> authentication enabled, the only place you CAN change it is in IIS
> >> Manager.
> >> That is the only time when authentication settings should be changed in
> >> IIS
> >> Manager.
> >>
> >> I know Henrik - I'll ask him to add a note or update the article
> >> indicating
> >> that if you are running FBA, you have to change the auth settings from
> >> IIS
> >> Manager.
> >>
> >> As for your first question, Forms-based authentication is what gives you
> >> the
> >> OWA logon page (instead of a simple password box prompt).  It also
> >> introduces the concept of cookie-based sessions that will timeout after a
> >> certain amount of time.  If you have any users that use OWA, Forms-based
> >> authentication is definitely the best way to go.

4/7/2006 5:29:20 PM
Yes - the same cert would work for both.

You simply install the cert to your Default Website.  It can then be used on
any virtual directory under that website.

--

> Thanks. You mostly answered my question. I was reading some documentation
> and
> realized that local CA will produce a certificate but I would need to load
> it
> to every mobile device. I like an idea of a Public one so we can omit copy
> step. This will also work fine for OWA? The same certificate?
>
> "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure what you are asking.  Most (if not all) external certificate
>> authorities have instructions on their website regarding how to generate
>> the
>> ssl request.  If they don't, the procedure is simple.  From your
>> webserver,
>> you choose to create a new certificate request, and when given the
>> choice,
>> you simply choose to "prepare the request now, but submit it later".
>> This
>> creates a text file with the certificate request that you can submit to
>> the
>> external CA.
>>
>> As far as mobile devices, I'd venture to say that virtually *any* third
>> party cert should work.  They should all chain back to a trusted root
>> somehow - Windows Mobile devices have many of the same root certificates
>> that Windows does.  There is no requirement to use Verisign (they are one
>> of
>> the most expensive CA's).  I'd look at the different prices from many
>> vendors.  You may even want to ask them if their certificate chains back
>> a trusted root CA that exists on Windows Mobile devices.  In the past,
>> I've
>> used Thawte (which, incidentally, is owned by Verisign, but offers much
>> cheaper prices).  Currently, we use a Comodo cert, which I believe also
>> works fine on Windows Mobile.
>>
>> A word of caution though.  Don't get a wildcard cert.  If you do, it will
>> not work on Windows Mobile devices unless you disable certificate
>> checking
>> (not possible on all devices).
>>
>> --
>> Ben Winzenz
>> Exchange MVP
>> MessageOne
>> Read my blog!
>> http://winzenz.blogspot.com
>> http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed)
>>

>> "George" <George@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thank you. Is there a document that explains how to use external
>> > Certificate
>> > Authority and which one should I get from Verisign that is already
>> > preinstalled on mobile devices? Thanks in advance, George

0
Ben
4/7/2006 5:53:22 PM
One more question. In OWA 5.5 there was a document that explained how to move
OWA from Exchange server to other IIS server. Is that possible with 2003
server?

> [...]

> >> party cert should work.  They should all chain back to a trusted root
> >> somehow - Windows Mobile devices have many of the same root certificates
> >> that Windows does.  There is no requirement to use Verisign (they are one
> >> of
> >> the most expensive CA's).  I'd look at the different prices from many
> >> vendors.  You may even want to ask them if their certificate chains back
> >> a trusted root CA that exists on Windows Mobile devices.  In the past,
> >> I've
> >> used Thawte (which, incidentally, is owned by Verisign, but offers much
> >> cheaper prices).  Currently, we use a Comodo cert, which I believe also
> >> works fine on Windows Mobile.
> >>
> >> A word of caution though.  Don't get a wildcard cert.  If you do, it will
> >> not work on Windows Mobile devices unless you disable certificate

4/7/2006 6:37:01 PM
OWA is no longer a separate component.  In 5.5, you could install only the
OWA component, which is probably what the article referenced.  With 200x,
OWA is natively part of Exchange that is automatically enabled on ALL
Exchange servers.

--

> One more question. In OWA 5.5 there was a document that explained how to
> move
> OWA from Exchange server to other IIS server. Is that possible with 2003
> server?
>

> "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Yes - the same cert would work for both.
>>
>> You simply install the cert to your Default Website.  It can then be used
>> on
>> any virtual directory under that website.
>>
>> --
>> Ben Winzenz
>> Exchange MVP
>> MessageOne
>> Read my blog!
>> http://winzenz.blogspot.com
>> http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed)
>>

>> "George" <George@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks. You mostly answered my question. I was reading some
>> > documentation
>> > and
>> > realized that local CA will produce a certificate but I would need to
>> > load
>> > it
>> > to every mobile device. I like an idea of a Public one so we can omit
>> > copy
>> > step. This will also work fine for OWA? The same certificate?

0
Ben

Monitor Server in 2003?

Changing Prices in HQ.
Hi, I have this little issue. I want to change the put items on promotion using the price wizard using HQ. Unfortunately if I have stores who has differents prices for a same item the wizard do not make the proper change becuase it use the price already stored in the master table. Does anyone saw this issue before? Who was solved?. Thks in advance for your help. Rgds Rodrigo Hi there, The easiest way to look after this is to not change any data on the ITEM in HQ, but to simply do the worksheet for altering the sale price and then send it to the respective stores. Then in the works...

Saving toolbar changes

Outlook Mail via a PROXY SERVER?
If I am using a shared Internet service on a second computer using a PROXY server on the host (first) computer. I can access the net using the PROXY settings on the Internet explorer. However, how do I download mail with OUTLOOK 2000? The proxy server is CCPROXY from YoungZSoft (this runs on XP) and it has the MAIL Settings enabled but the difficulty is what to do on the Second computer? Thanks, -- John jrg_REM_SPAM@bigpond.net.au That would be determined by the proxy manufacturer - check with their support. JM7 wrote: > If I am using a shared Internet service on a second computer ...

Changing query execution sequence

SQL Server Connection Failed
Hi everybody, this is my scenario: 1. Windows Server 2008 2. WSS 3.0 + MOSS 2007 3. SQL Server 2008. i'm having this problem: "Login failed for user 'sa'. Reason: An error occurred while evaluating the password. [CLIENT: 72.55.191.137]". in this momment i can't see any application from sharepoint. somebody knows how can i do? i don't change the sa password. i don't change anything in the sharepoint configuration. since two days ago i'm having this problem. pls, is very urgent, because i have to deliver this server the next monday to the...

Automatic changes in cells

Outlook, Palm Pilot, and Exchange Server
I'm using Outlook with an Exchange Server (2000 Small Business). I installed the software for the Palm Pilot and now it prompts with a dialog box for the user to chose the following when they reply, forward or reply to all on an e-mail message. A Program is trying to access e-mail addresses you have stored in Outlook. Do you want to allow this? If this is unexpected, it may be a virus and you should choose "No". Allow access for (if you check the box) it gives 1, 2, 5 and 10 minutes. If you say no it lets you reply, forward, and reply to all. This is a nuisance more than ...

Migrating Exchange servers
We are in the process of migrating to a new exchange server. The issue we are having is transfering the user's outlook (xp, 2k) address book/contact list to the new server without manually having to log into everyone's computer and pointing their address books to the new server. Is there a way to do this authomatically server-side? You're moving the mailboxes, right? The user's "address book" is the Contacts folder in the mailbox. So, there's nothing extra to move. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for ...

How to change a background color with Publisher
How can I click on to a background color and change that background color to another color using Publisher? Ron Williams wrote: > How can I click on to a background color and change that background > color to another color using Publisher? ====================== Try these steps... Double left click the color you want to change and a Format screen should open that has a drop window with color choices. -- J. Inzer MS-MVP Digital Media Experience Notice This is not tech support I am a volunteer Solutions that work for me may not work fo...

Change Domain Name on outgoing Emails
Our company just purchased another company with their own Exchange Server and AD infrastrure. We want all users in this new facility to have Email addresses with our Domain such as username@abc.com instead of their current Domain username@123.com. Until I migrate resources from their Forest into our Forest I have created contacts to forward all Emails from the abc Domain to the 123 Domain. When users reply or send Emails from the 123 Domain it still has their username@123.com Email address which will cause confusion with our customers and suppliers. How do I force their Emails to us...

How to change PERMANENTLY environment variables from batch script?
Ok, I know. In a batch file I can change environment variables temporarily (=for the current, remaining session) be entering e.g. set CLASSPATH=D:\newpath;%CLASSPATH% However these changes are not visible outside of the current session and furthermore they are lost after a reboot. Is there a(nother) way to change them PERMANENTLY from batch script? I can imagine that there is a way by a regedit or VisualBasic script or 3rd party cmdline tool. Again: I don't want to edit them manually e.g. in the "System" dialog in control panel. The change should take place on ...

How do I change a spreadsheet from all caps to "Proper"
I have a spreadsheet containing data to make mailing labels. The whole thing was entered in caps. I need to change it to the Proper style ( the first letter is capitalized and the rest lower case). How can I do this? Hi see: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/case.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "dumbfounded" <dumbfounded@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:C2E74629-E7E9-4B68-87FC-D49B91B83452@microsoft.com... > I have a spreadsheet containing data to make mailing labels. The whole thing > was entered in caps. I need to change it to the Pr...

Change default export to Excel location
Hi, Does anyone know how I might be able to change the default location for exporting tables, queries, etc. from Access to Excel? It defaults to My Documents, which I can't stand because it forces me to drill down to find the spreadsheet. I'd rather that I could set it to go to my desktop. I've looked in the Access settings and registry, but could not find where to make the change. Any help is appreciated. Tony, Look at the TransferSpreadsheet method (in Help)... using that you can put any path you wish. -- Gina Whipp 2010 Microsoft MVP (Access)...

VBA 07
Hi everybody, I use the follwoing code to change the slide size ActivePresentation.PageSetup.SlideSize = ppSlideSizeLetterPaper or ActivePresentation.PageSetup.SlideSize =ppSlideSizeA4Paper it works fine in 03 but in 07 although it shows on the User Inteface page setup dialog box that size is changed , actually i doesn't change it and have no effect. Any suggestions? -- Best regards, Edward "Edward" <Edward@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:902E9991-0297-4029-9DEC-C7D5E6027BCE@microsoft.com... > Hi everybody, > I use the ...