can servers be moved between administrative groups?

Below is an extract from the 70-284 MS training kit. I am totaly confused i
have been told in this newsgroup by an MVP that you can not move a server
once installed to a different administrative group and have also read
elsewhere that you cannot but Microsoft below say you can in both modes.

Subsequent Exchange servers are added to routing groups during the
installation process,and if necessary, you can move servers between routing
groups using Exchange System Manager. The only caveat is that in mixed mode,
you cannot move servers between routing groups that belong to different
administrative groups; you can only    move servers between routing groups
within the same administrative group. If you need to move a server to a
routing group that is in a different administrative group, you must first
move the server to the administrative group that contains the target routing
group. Alternatively, you can move the entire routing group from one
administrative group to another. This is a limitation of the default mixed
mode operation, but once you convert to native mode, this limitation is
lifted.

0
BINZA

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 18:03:28 -0000, "BINZA@" <mark1.smith(remove
this)@virgin.net> wrote:

>Below is an extract from the 70-284 MS training kit. I am totaly confused i
>have been told in this newsgroup by an MVP that you can not move a server
>once installed to a different administrative group and have also read
>elsewhere that you cannot but Microsoft below say you can in both modes.
>
>Subsequent Exchange servers are added to routing groups during the
>installation process,and if necessary, you can move servers between routing
>groups using Exchange System Manager. The only caveat is that in mixed mode,
>you cannot move servers between routing groups that belong to different
>administrative groups; you can only    move servers between routing groups
>within the same administrative group. If you need to move a server to a
>routing group that is in a different administrative group, you must first
>move the server to the administrative group that contains the target routing
>group. Alternatively, you can move the entire routing group from one
>administrative group to another. This is a limitation of the default mixed
>mode operation, but once you convert to native mode, this limitation is
>lifted.

Nope. You can not move servers between admin groups.
The only supported way is to move all the mailboxes to another server
and rebuild the first server, adding it to the new admin group during
its installation and then moving the mailboxes back. You can move
mailboxes between admin groups in Exchange Native Mode.

0
adavid (8731)
2/17/2006 6:14:04 PM
Thanks Andy.
Just wanted to double check as you can see the chapter below seems quite
convincing but obviously wrong.

"Andy David - MVP" <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 18:03:28 -0000, "BINZA@" <mark1.smith(remove
> this)@virgin.net> wrote:
>
>>Below is an extract from the 70-284 MS training kit. I am totaly confused
>>have been told in this newsgroup by an MVP that you can not move a server
>>once installed to a different administrative group and have also read
>>elsewhere that you cannot but Microsoft below say you can in both modes.
>>
>>Subsequent Exchange servers are added to routing groups during the
>>installation process,and if necessary, you can move servers between
>>routing
>>groups using Exchange System Manager. The only caveat is that in mixed
>>mode,
>>you cannot move servers between routing groups that belong to different
>>administrative groups; you can only    move servers between routing groups
>>within the same administrative group. If you need to move a server to a
>>routing group that is in a different administrative group, you must first
>>move the server to the administrative group that contains the target
>>routing
>>group. Alternatively, you can move the entire routing group from one
>>administrative group to another. This is a limitation of the default mixed
>>mode operation, but once you convert to native mode, this limitation is
>>lifted.
>>

> Nope. You can not move servers between admin groups.
> The only supported way is to move all the mailboxes to another server
> and rebuild the first server, adding it to the new admin group during
> its installation and then moving the mailboxes back. You can move
> mailboxes between admin groups in Exchange Native Mode.

0
BINZA
2/17/2006 6:24:09 PM
You *used* to be able to move servers between admin groups in Beta releases
I believe.  That functionality was removed in the final release.

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

"BINZA@" <mark1.smith(remove this)@virgin.net> wrote in message
> Thanks Andy.
> Just wanted to double check as you can see the chapter below seems quite
> convincing but obviously wrong.
>
> "Andy David - MVP" <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote in
> message news:vd4cv11j4fvhmp4gonj65l4an5oua5pt8j@4ax.com...
>> On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 18:03:28 -0000, "BINZA@" <mark1.smith(remove
>> this)@virgin.net> wrote:
>>
>>>Below is an extract from the 70-284 MS training kit. I am totaly confused
>>>have been told in this newsgroup by an MVP that you can not move a server
>>>once installed to a different administrative group and have also read
>>>elsewhere that you cannot but Microsoft below say you can in both modes.
>>>
>>>Subsequent Exchange servers are added to routing groups during the
>>>installation process,and if necessary, you can move servers between
>>>routing
>>>groups using Exchange System Manager. The only caveat is that in mixed
>>>mode,
>>>you cannot move servers between routing groups that belong to different
>>>administrative groups; you can only    move servers between routing
>>>groups
>>>within the same administrative group. If you need to move a server to a
>>>routing group that is in a different administrative group, you must first
>>>move the server to the administrative group that contains the target
>>>routing
>>>group. Alternatively, you can move the entire routing group from one
>>>administrative group to another. This is a limitation of the default
>>>mixed
>>>mode operation, but once you convert to native mode, this limitation is
>>>lifted.
>>>

>> Nope. You can not move servers between admin groups.
>> The only supported way is to move all the mailboxes to another server
>> and rebuild the first server, adding it to the new admin group during
>> its installation and then moving the mailboxes back. You can move
>> mailboxes between admin groups in Exchange Native Mode.

0
Ben
2/17/2006 6:56:37 PM
"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" <ben_winzenz@nospamdotmessageonedotcom>
wrote:

>You *used* to be able to move servers between admin groups in Beta releases
>I believe.  That functionality was removed in the final release.

It was removed 'coz it only *looked* like it worked. Kinda like some
of those "scenarios" in the certification questions!

IIRC, you can still emulate that behavior by using the AD "Sites and
Services" snap-in to move things around. *DON'T DO IT*!!!! If you do,
you'll be sad . . . very sad.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

> IIRC, you can still emulate that behavior by using the AD "Sites and
> Services" snap-in to move things around. *DON'T DO IT*!!!! If you do,
> you'll be sad . . . very sad.

Could you please explain that sadness a bit further?

I investigated this feature using a test environment earlier this year and
did not expierience problems or event log errors or warnings.

I already was told that not all properties of a server moved this way are
properly moved along with it which of course might lead into potential
problems.

On the other hand in my opinion MS should work things out and make it work
correctly - we do not have to delete a user and create a new one to move him
from one OU to another, do we?

Best regards, Erhard

Early in beta testing (when this functionality was enabled in Exchange),
serious problems were uncovered.  I don't know the exact problems any more,
but Microsoft disabled this functionality before RTM for a reason.

Expect to see some changes in this arena in E12 (note: I'm not saying that
moving servers across admin groups will work - it won't, but you won't need
it).

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

"Erhard Puetz" <ErhardPuetz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
>> IIRC, you can still emulate that behavior by using the AD "Sites and
>> Services" snap-in to move things around. *DON'T DO IT*!!!! If you do,
>> you'll be sad . . . very sad.
>
> Could you please explain that sadness a bit further?
>
> I investigated this feature using a test environment earlier this year and
> did not expierience problems or event log errors or warnings.
>
> I already was told that not all properties of a server moved this way are
> properly moved along with it which of course might lead into potential
> problems.
>
> On the other hand in my opinion MS should work things out and make it work
> correctly - we do not have to delete a user and create a new one to move
> him
> from one OU to another, do we?
>
> Best regards, Erhard

0
Ben

Can I fade the edges of photos that I use?
I am trying to use photos in a publisher document that I want to fade the edges of, is this possible to do with publisher? -- D:o) krazy-4-coke wrote: > I am trying to use photos in a publisher document that I want to fade the > edges of, is this possible to do with publisher? Not really. You should use dedicated image manipulation software for this, such as Photoshop Elements, Paint Shop Pro, or Microsoft Digital Image. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://ed.mvps.org Ed, Are any of these programs typically come loaded on a computer?? I have another question - ca...

Can I delete my switchboard and make a new one?
I do not like my switchboard and would like to delete this one and start all over. But when I did delete it I couldn't make another one, because I couldn't delete the default. What should I do?Thanks,Dustin Just delete the form and the table that were created by the wizard, then start over.-- Rick B"Dustin" <Dustin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:42F94A44-9352-4D02-9104-65593869B271@microsoft.com...>I do not like my switchboard and would like to delete this one and start >all> over. But when I did delete it I couldn't make another one, beca...

pivot table -repeating "months or days" after grouping
I have data that includes the month, day, hour, min. When I run th pivot table function to reduce the data to hourly I need the date t repeat in the date column. Example: 9/19/2002 0:00 2.7 9/19/2002 0:10 3.7 9/19/2002 0:20 3.8 9/19/2002 0:30 4.6 9/19/2002 0:40 4.8 9/19/2002 0:50 4.8 9/19/2002 1:00 5.6 9/19/2002 1:10 5.2 What I get when I group the Pivot table: Sep 19-Sep 12 AM 2.7 - - 1 AM 3.7 - - 2 AM 3.8 - - 3 AM 4.6 - - 4 AM 4.8 What I want is: Sep 19-Sep 12 AM 2.7 - 19-Sep 1 AM 3.7...

how can I drag formulas with other cell references
example cell A1 contains formula "=stdev(a2:a7) cell a2 contains formula "=stdev(a8:a13) Is it possible to drag the formula down so that cell a3 contains "=stdev(a14:19) and cell a4 contains "=stdev(a20:a25) and so on for cells a5, a6, a7 etc. etc. Hi Bram, See http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/snakecol.htm#snkAddr B1: =stdev(OFFSET($A$1,6*ROW()-5,0):OFFSET($A$1,6*ROW(),0)) B2: =stdev(OFFSET($A$1,6*ROW()-5,0):OFFSET($A$1,6*ROW(),0)) It was easier to test and verify using SUM instead of stdev, but the formula is same NOTE the formulas are in a different colu...

em from people i dont even know (respond to server ) is what they say
i have the same proplem with people pc help and now i have show all messages and there are a lot of th ...

can i have more sender in outlook setting ?
i using win server 2003 , exchange 2003 , i using exchange client in outlook to send & receive , but my boss have more than one mail address , can i use another AD mail address for send out mail , i have try to add a pop3 , the sender also is computer user thank your ...

IE8 can't access Microsoft Office site when all other browsers can
When trying to access the Microsoft Office page using IE8 I keep getting the "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" message. If I use any other browser (Firefox, Opera, Safari, Chrome) I have no problem accessing the page. This happens whether running in normal or No Add-on's mode. Despite how many people keep complaining about all the problems with IE8, neither the MVP's or Microsoft acknowledge that they exist. Asus P5E Intel E8400 Core2Duo 3.0GHz 4 GB PC2-6400 DDR2 Windows 7 Ultimate (with all the latest updates installed) NIS 2010 (all up to date)...

I can't get rid of 1 "Payment to Send' Reminder-M07
On my Home Page in the Reminder section, I have a "1 Payment to Send" listed there. But there is NO payment to send. I"ve opened up back-up copies as far back as May and the reminder is there, but there is no payment that needs sending. Does anybody have an idea how I can get rid of this Reminder? Just removing the Reminder from Home Page doesn't do it. When you put the Reminder back on the Home Page, the "Payment to Send" is still there. Clicking on the link just takes me to Bill Summary page. ...

"Move to folder" icons unlabeled
Using the "Move to Folder" command, the icons displayed are missing their names/labels. I've used this feature for years, but I just purchased a new copy/license of Outlook and installed it on a new PC with Windows 7.0, and it is giving this problem. Nothing happens if I right-click the icons displayed, and I've searched in vain for help in the MS support forums as well as the Microsoft site. Thanks in advance for your solution(s)!! ...

is there any way I can trap for the use of navigation buttons?
Hi Is there any way I can trap for the use of navigation buttons, such as Next, Previous and New record? Stapes Probably. Trap what and when? "Stapes" <steve.staple@gmail.com> wrote in message news:7fe0fd6b-0da1-495e-a369-29bc72ca3af9@s8g2000prg.googlegroups.com... > Hi > > Is there any way I can trap for the use of navigation buttons, such as > Next, Previous and New record? > > Stapes On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 05:14:20 -0800 (PST), Stapes <steve.staple@gmail.com> wrote: No. And there shouldn't be a reason for that. There are plenty of events in...

Exchange server recovery advice needed
Folks We have been hit by a relatively big disk crash and I have to rebuild our exchange 2003 (SP1) server Fortunately I have a fully working backup but I still need to "replay" some LOG files as we only do weekly "full" snapshot. So to cut a long story short I have recovered and restarted the server as it was one week ago and everything seems fine EXCEPT for the messages (and other items) created since last backup. I DO have the log file for those days... but how do I "replay" them ? What is my best course of action ? At the moment I plan to create a separat...

SBS 2003 migration to Server 2008 STD
Hi. We are at the limit of 75 Users and want to Migrate away from our old SBS 2003 Server to two new 2008 STD Server (one for Exchange 2010) I have looked for infos how to do that correctly but i could not find any good basis to start with. Someone already accomplished that task? I recommend Server 2008 R2 over 2008. If you use Server 2008 make sure you have SP2 or better installed before you try to install Exchange 2010. I have done it. It was fairly straightforward. That said it was not easy. There is a lot of conflicting information on the web. The basic procedure is...

how can I look into store.exe
I have an email sobig that i cant even download it on my outlook express 6.0.... The adviced for is to locate it on the Queues in Outbound or inbound messages on IMC, but if it is not in there the message may be stuck up in Store. How can I locate it and delete the massega in store.exe they say I can use the MFCmapi but i'm a newbie how can do this. Do I have to download the MFCMapi? what is it? thanks ...

can't change/delete bills and deposits
suddenly one day i realized that when i tried to change a bill, i could click "ok" but nothing would happen. I thought it was because i upgraded to 2004, so i deleted the bills and rescheduled. about 5 of the bills will not delete either. the error message is: "Money could not write to your Money file. The operation could not be performed or another application finished this task before you. Please try again." Now some of the newly scheduled bills will not allow me to change the properties, i click ok but nothing happens when i edit the series. I have repaired ...

Can't Install IBF for CRM on CRM Server
first i'm install IBF On my CRM v1.2 (it's name testcrm) after that i'm try to install IBF for CRM on my CRM Server but in Step "Publish Metadata" i'm type "http://testcrm:8082" and click next button but it's show message box "The Information Bridge metadata service location is not avaliable" and can't install it. -_-' . but i can access "http://testcrm:8082/IBFWriteService.asmx" and "http://testcrm:8081/IBFReadService.asmx". so how can i install it ? I had the same problem - try using http://localhost:8082 for...

Clarification please on exchange 2003 with DPM Server 2010
I would like to protect an exchange 2003 setup remotely. In the event of a problem such as accidently deleted mail etc. the way to restore the database files would is to use a recovery storage group? Now does this need to be restored back over the internet to the Exchange server or can the databases be restored onto a disk taken out to the server and then loaded into the recovery storage group? I am not sure what you mean "Now does this need to be restored back over the internet to the Exchange server" but yes to restore the exchange databases you can restore the files ...

Can Work thread get a windows class and manipulate it?
Suppose that I create a work thread when my dialog box started, then in the thread I get the pointer to the dialog mfc class and call updateData method. Does that work? I tried, but failed. Is there any other way to do? thanks!! No, it won't work, don't even waste time trying. It is almost guaranteed to fail. You do not manipulate the windows owned by one thread from a different thread. What you do is PostMessage requests from the worker thread to the main UI thread, usually to the window that contains the controls. The fact that you are using UpdateData already says you are in t...

Question Re: Migration of Exchange to New Server.
I'm in the process of replacing an aging Exchange server with a brand new server. Once complete the old server will be taken off line and recycled. I figure the easiest way to do this is bring the new server up as a second Exchange server within the domain and then move the mail boxes from the old server to the new server but I have a couple of questions. 1) How do I move the public folders? I'm assuming I can setup Replication between the two servers and that will migrate the public folder data. 2) What happens when the current server goes off line? Other then having to upd...

Excel Macro
I am writing a macro and cannot find any command that will allow me to move the cursor in the Worksheet. Rather than give a Cell address such as "A3" I want to be able to move the cursor any given number of cells to the right,left, up or down. Can anyone help? activecell.offset(x,y).select will move x rows down (if positive, up if negative) and y columns to the right (if positive, left if negative). Stephen King wrote: > > I am writing a macro and cannot find any command that will > allow me to move the cursor in the Worksheet. Rather than > give a Cell address ...

Why can't I send email messages with Trial Outlook 2007?
I have a new HP laptop that came with the 60 day trial of Office'07. I receive email but the send/reply/compose functions are grayed out. I am certain my settings are correct. Why can't I send email? KK What happens when you use the Test Account Settings? What is the exact error message you get? -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. ALWAYS post your Outlook version. How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 After furious head scratching, KK asked: | I have a new HP laptop that came with the 60 day...

Remote Exchange server?
Scenario.... I have a client in a real problem area. The power is so bad that it's guaranteed to be off most weekends in summer time! Battery backup and power backup is NOT where i want to go here, so please dont suggest I concentrate on this...because it just won't happen! I would like to setup a remote exchange 03 server for this client in a data center. So when the power goes down, the clients can all connect by outlook web access without any interruptions. Clents from the troubled office would also have to connect to the remote exchange server during normal office hours. Is ...

One Exchange server wont send mail to certain domains
Hi, Just wondering if I can pick someones brains. We have 2 Exchange servers, 1 2000 (Ex2000 Sp3, Win2k SP4, Global Catalogue, member), and 1 2003 server (Ex2003 Sp2, Win2k3 SP2, master). Since putting in the 2003 server, users on the 2000 server get some "mail server rejected connection" failures when sending to 1 or 2 domains, most other domains accept mail ok. Users on the 2003 box can send fine. We've checked our MX records which are in place on the firewall, and we can also telnet to these domains and complete the telnet test. 2003 > outside world (u...

How can I keep the header in view at all times
In Word, a header and footer s always in view when you work in th document. However, I cannot seem to do the same in Excel - any suggestions please. Thanks - M Select a cell below your column header and just right of your ro header, then goto "Window" and select Freeze Panes. HTH J -- pinmaste ----------------------------------------------------------------------- pinmaster's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=626 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=49759 ...

The code below worked for a few days and just totally stopped working. What can I do to make sure it continues to work? Thanks!
The code below worked for a few days and just totally stopped working. What can I do to make sure it continues to work? Thanks! ----- Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Dim C As Range, D As Range Set D = Intersect(Range("A:A"), Target) If D Is Nothing Then Exit Sub For Each C In D On Error Resume Next Target.Offset(0, 6).FormulaR1C1 = "=RC[-2]&RC[-5]" ' - For Column E Target.Offset(0, 7).FormulaR1C1 = "=RC[-2]&RC[-5]" ' - For Column F Target.Offset(0, 9).FormulaR1C1 = "=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(RC7,I.O.! R2C1:R5...

Someone must have asked this before but I can't find it!
Being a relative Excel newcomer I,m not sure of all the terminology so may have used the wrong terms when searching. What I am trying to do is create a worksheet in which a cell shows one of 3 values (LOW,AVERAGE or HIGH) according to the value in the cell to the left of it, which itself is the sum of the 2 preceding cells. To be more specific, cell D6 is Men, E6 is Women and F6 is"=SUM(D6,E6)". I then want G6 to show "LOW" if F6 is less than 5, "AVERAGE" if it is between 5 and 20, and "HIGH" if it is over 20. If anyone understands the question and can h...