can servers be moved between administrative groups?

Below is an extract from the 70-284 MS training kit. I am totaly confused i
have been told in this newsgroup by an MVP that you can not move a server
once installed to a different administrative group and have also read
elsewhere that you cannot but Microsoft below say you can in both modes.

Subsequent Exchange servers are added to routing groups during the
installation process,and if necessary, you can move servers between routing
groups using Exchange System Manager. The only caveat is that in mixed mode,
you cannot move servers between routing groups that belong to different
administrative groups; you can only    move servers between routing groups
within the same administrative group. If you need to move a server to a
routing group that is in a different administrative group, you must first
move the server to the administrative group that contains the target routing
group. Alternatively, you can move the entire routing group from one
administrative group to another. This is a limitation of the default mixed
mode operation, but once you convert to native mode, this limitation is
lifted.

0
BINZA

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 18:03:28 -0000, "BINZA@" <mark1.smith(remove
this)@virgin.net> wrote:

>Below is an extract from the 70-284 MS training kit. I am totaly confused i
>have been told in this newsgroup by an MVP that you can not move a server
>once installed to a different administrative group and have also read
>elsewhere that you cannot but Microsoft below say you can in both modes.
>
>Subsequent Exchange servers are added to routing groups during the
>installation process,and if necessary, you can move servers between routing
>groups using Exchange System Manager. The only caveat is that in mixed mode,
>you cannot move servers between routing groups that belong to different
>administrative groups; you can only    move servers between routing groups
>within the same administrative group. If you need to move a server to a
>routing group that is in a different administrative group, you must first
>move the server to the administrative group that contains the target routing
>group. Alternatively, you can move the entire routing group from one
>administrative group to another. This is a limitation of the default mixed
>mode operation, but once you convert to native mode, this limitation is
>lifted.

Nope. You can not move servers between admin groups.
The only supported way is to move all the mailboxes to another server
and rebuild the first server, adding it to the new admin group during
its installation and then moving the mailboxes back. You can move
mailboxes between admin groups in Exchange Native Mode.

0
adavid (8731)
2/17/2006 6:14:04 PM
Thanks Andy.
Just wanted to double check as you can see the chapter below seems quite
convincing but obviously wrong.

"Andy David - MVP" <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 18:03:28 -0000, "BINZA@" <mark1.smith(remove
> this)@virgin.net> wrote:
>
>>Below is an extract from the 70-284 MS training kit. I am totaly confused
>>have been told in this newsgroup by an MVP that you can not move a server
>>once installed to a different administrative group and have also read
>>elsewhere that you cannot but Microsoft below say you can in both modes.
>>
>>Subsequent Exchange servers are added to routing groups during the
>>installation process,and if necessary, you can move servers between
>>routing
>>groups using Exchange System Manager. The only caveat is that in mixed
>>mode,
>>you cannot move servers between routing groups that belong to different
>>administrative groups; you can only    move servers between routing groups
>>within the same administrative group. If you need to move a server to a
>>routing group that is in a different administrative group, you must first
>>move the server to the administrative group that contains the target
>>routing
>>group. Alternatively, you can move the entire routing group from one
>>administrative group to another. This is a limitation of the default mixed
>>mode operation, but once you convert to native mode, this limitation is
>>lifted.
>>

> Nope. You can not move servers between admin groups.
> The only supported way is to move all the mailboxes to another server
> and rebuild the first server, adding it to the new admin group during
> its installation and then moving the mailboxes back. You can move
> mailboxes between admin groups in Exchange Native Mode.

0
BINZA
2/17/2006 6:24:09 PM
You *used* to be able to move servers between admin groups in Beta releases
I believe.  That functionality was removed in the final release.

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

"BINZA@" <mark1.smith(remove this)@virgin.net> wrote in message
> Thanks Andy.
> Just wanted to double check as you can see the chapter below seems quite
> convincing but obviously wrong.
>
> "Andy David - MVP" <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote in
> message news:vd4cv11j4fvhmp4gonj65l4an5oua5pt8j@4ax.com...
>> On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 18:03:28 -0000, "BINZA@" <mark1.smith(remove
>> this)@virgin.net> wrote:
>>
>>>Below is an extract from the 70-284 MS training kit. I am totaly confused
>>>have been told in this newsgroup by an MVP that you can not move a server
>>>once installed to a different administrative group and have also read
>>>elsewhere that you cannot but Microsoft below say you can in both modes.
>>>
>>>Subsequent Exchange servers are added to routing groups during the
>>>installation process,and if necessary, you can move servers between
>>>routing
>>>groups using Exchange System Manager. The only caveat is that in mixed
>>>mode,
>>>you cannot move servers between routing groups that belong to different
>>>administrative groups; you can only    move servers between routing
>>>groups
>>>within the same administrative group. If you need to move a server to a
>>>routing group that is in a different administrative group, you must first
>>>move the server to the administrative group that contains the target
>>>routing
>>>group. Alternatively, you can move the entire routing group from one
>>>administrative group to another. This is a limitation of the default
>>>mixed
>>>mode operation, but once you convert to native mode, this limitation is
>>>lifted.
>>>

>> Nope. You can not move servers between admin groups.
>> The only supported way is to move all the mailboxes to another server
>> and rebuild the first server, adding it to the new admin group during
>> its installation and then moving the mailboxes back. You can move
>> mailboxes between admin groups in Exchange Native Mode.

0
Ben
2/17/2006 6:56:37 PM
"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" <ben_winzenz@nospamdotmessageonedotcom>
wrote:

>You *used* to be able to move servers between admin groups in Beta releases
>I believe.  That functionality was removed in the final release.

It was removed 'coz it only *looked* like it worked. Kinda like some
of those "scenarios" in the certification questions!

IIRC, you can still emulate that behavior by using the AD "Sites and
Services" snap-in to move things around. *DON'T DO IT*!!!! If you do,
you'll be sad . . . very sad.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

> IIRC, you can still emulate that behavior by using the AD "Sites and
> Services" snap-in to move things around. *DON'T DO IT*!!!! If you do,
> you'll be sad . . . very sad.

Could you please explain that sadness a bit further?

I investigated this feature using a test environment earlier this year and
did not expierience problems or event log errors or warnings.

I already was told that not all properties of a server moved this way are
properly moved along with it which of course might lead into potential
problems.

On the other hand in my opinion MS should work things out and make it work
correctly - we do not have to delete a user and create a new one to move him
from one OU to another, do we?

Best regards, Erhard

Early in beta testing (when this functionality was enabled in Exchange),
serious problems were uncovered.  I don't know the exact problems any more,
but Microsoft disabled this functionality before RTM for a reason.

Expect to see some changes in this arena in E12 (note: I'm not saying that
moving servers across admin groups will work - it won't, but you won't need
it).

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

"Erhard Puetz" <ErhardPuetz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
>> IIRC, you can still emulate that behavior by using the AD "Sites and
>> Services" snap-in to move things around. *DON'T DO IT*!!!! If you do,
>> you'll be sad . . . very sad.
>
> Could you please explain that sadness a bit further?
>
> I investigated this feature using a test environment earlier this year and
> did not expierience problems or event log errors or warnings.
>
> I already was told that not all properties of a server moved this way are
> properly moved along with it which of course might lead into potential
> problems.
>
> On the other hand in my opinion MS should work things out and make it work
> correctly - we do not have to delete a user and create a new one to move
> him
> from one OU to another, do we?
>
> Best regards, Erhard

0