Can send and receive e-mail directly, but can't confirm connectivity via telnet to port 25 test method.

Hi all,

Pretty new to exchange so I was going through as much documentation as
I possibly could to make sure that my first implimentation went as
smooth as possible (first setup on a personal server so I can muck it
up all I like to make sure that I have it right, no need to subject a
client to my expermintation!).

I have exchange 2003 enterprise set up on a windows 2003 server
standard R2 machine.  The machine is the only domain member so it also
the AD and DNS primary.  Not much else going on with the box other than
AD, DNS, and Exchange with little load on any of the three services. It
is on a private network behind a residential cable router/firewall, and
on comcast home service.  I am running dyndns.org's service to supply
my dynamic dns for my personal domain. It seems like the box is running
great. I can send and receive mail to the internet tested through the
OWA (haven't set up any outlook clients yet, just used web).  Ports on
the firewall are forwarded properly.

I found the typical SMTP test where you telnet to the server on port
25.  Problem is, even on the exchange server, I do not get a response.
>From outside the network I try to telnet to the mail domain name, and
from inside the network, I try to do a telnet to the dns name, the
internet domain name, and the private IP address.  Always results in no
connection.

While on one hand it seems that I can send and receive mail from the
internet, I don't want it to be an indication of problems down the road
that I could have fixed. Also, I'm patched up fully from the microsoft
update site and running Exchange 2003 SP2.

Next thing that I was going to do was set up outlook on my workstation,
and then assuming that works, open up RPC over HTTP and test outlook
remotely.

Any advice?

Thanks!

0
epoulin (7)

I'd suggest that you figure out what is going on with SMTp. The fact that
you are sending and receiving mail is a good sign but you need to figure out
why you can't telnet to port 25. Understanding this is going to be important
in a production environment. Solve this before moving onto RPC over HTTP but
when you are ready:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833401/

Nue
"EGPoulin" <epoulin@bergmeyer.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Pretty new to exchange so I was going through as much documentation as
> I possibly could to make sure that my first implimentation went as
> smooth as possible (first setup on a personal server so I can muck it
> up all I like to make sure that I have it right, no need to subject a
> client to my expermintation!).
>
> I have exchange 2003 enterprise set up on a windows 2003 server
> standard R2 machine.  The machine is the only domain member so it also
> the AD and DNS primary.  Not much else going on with the box other than
> AD, DNS, and Exchange with little load on any of the three services. It
> is on a private network behind a residential cable router/firewall, and
> on comcast home service.  I am running dyndns.org's service to supply
> my dynamic dns for my personal domain. It seems like the box is running
> great. I can send and receive mail to the internet tested through the
> OWA (haven't set up any outlook clients yet, just used web).  Ports on
> the firewall are forwarded properly.
>
> I found the typical SMTP test where you telnet to the server on port
> 25.  Problem is, even on the exchange server, I do not get a response.
>>From outside the network I try to telnet to the mail domain name, and
> from inside the network, I try to do a telnet to the dns name, the
> internet domain name, and the private IP address.  Always results in no
> connection.
>
> While on one hand it seems that I can send and receive mail from the
> internet, I don't want it to be an indication of problems down the road
> that I could have fixed. Also, I'm patched up fully from the microsoft
> update site and running Exchange 2003 SP2.
>
> Next thing that I was going to do was set up outlook on my workstation,
> and then assuming that works, open up RPC over HTTP and test outlook
> remotely.
>
> Any advice?
>
> Thanks!

0
imaneophyte (3004)
5/18/2006 7:01:15 PM
On 18 May 2006 11:37:41 -0700, "EGPoulin" <epoulin@bergmeyer.com>
wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Pretty new to exchange so I was going through as much documentation as
>I possibly could to make sure that my first implimentation went as
>smooth as possible (first setup on a personal server so I can muck it
>up all I like to make sure that I have it right, no need to subject a
>client to my expermintation!).
>
>I have exchange 2003 enterprise set up on a windows 2003 server
>standard R2 machine.  The machine is the only domain member so it also
>the AD and DNS primary.  Not much else going on with the box other than
>AD, DNS, and Exchange with little load on any of the three services. It
>is on a private network behind a residential cable router/firewall, and
>on comcast home service.  I am running dyndns.org's service to supply
>my dynamic dns for my personal domain. It seems like the box is running
>great. I can send and receive mail to the internet tested through the
>OWA (haven't set up any outlook clients yet, just used web).  Ports on
>the firewall are forwarded properly.
>
>I found the typical SMTP test where you telnet to the server on port
>25.  Problem is, even on the exchange server, I do not get a response.
>>From outside the network I try to telnet to the mail domain name, and
>from inside the network, I try to do a telnet to the dns name, the
>internet domain name, and the private IP address.  Always results in no
>connection.
>
>While on one hand it seems that I can send and receive mail from the
>internet, I don't want it to be an indication of problems down the road
>that I could have fixed. Also, I'm patched up fully from the microsoft
>update site and running Exchange 2003 SP2.
>
>Next thing that I was going to do was set up outlook on my workstation,
>and then assuming that works, open up RPC over HTTP and test outlook
>remotely.
>
>Any advice?
>
>Thanks!

If SMTP mail is flowing, then what you are saying doesnt make any
sense.
Test your domain here
www.dnsreport.com

Did you install the firewall on the Windows 2003 server?
0
adavid (8731)
5/18/2006 7:10:03 PM
Well I did more digging and couldn't find anything wrong except that
the DNS looked like it didn't have the correct zones in it for Active
Directory.  Given that this is a test server and I have the liberty to
reformat and start again that's what I did.  Just finished up applying
ExchSP2 again and everything is looking good this time.  I can telnet
to port 25.

Originally the Best Practice Analysier is what clued me into port 25
problems since it was reporting that it could not connect to port 25
either, but the analysier is connecting now as well.

Thanks for the link on RPC over HTTP and the dnsreport stuff.  It will
come in handy.

~Eric

0
epoulin (7)
5/19/2006 7:38:36 PM
Very Interesting development.  When I posted not too long ago I had
update to ExchSP2 but apparently not applied the two recent Exchange
2003 patches released.  After I ran the best practice tool, I did do
another windows update and it installed the two patches. After the
patches I am again NOT able to telnet to the SMTP port...  looks like
it might be disabled now.. anyone confirm?

0
epoulin (7)

Move SeaMonkey/Thunderbird e-mail to Outlook 2007 (without OE)
I have recently upgraded to Windows 7 and am trialling Office 2007 Professional. I currently use SeaMonkey as a browser/e-mail client but want to move to Outlook 2007 because I prefer it. Is there a way to export my mail from SeaMonkey (nee Thunderbird) to Outlook 2007 without using the old Outlook Express/MS Mail method that has been about for a number of years? You may want to review this article for future reference: How do I import from ??? in Outlook http://www.contactgenie.com/blog/?p=185 Doing a quick google search: Importing and exporting your mail http://kb.mozi...

Changing mail file locations, correct method?
I've read instructions here for default location of Win Live Mail files and how to change folders and drives. But what is the right method to use when changing location of new incoming mail files...........and existing email files and subject folders. Should I just gang copy all of the existing folders from one disk to the other....before or after I change the location for new incoming mail? I sure don't want to mess up my email any more after a debacle when I upgraded to Win 7 from Vista! Help on method please................and thanks! If you wish to change the locati...

test #34

Hidden files in Ms-Query cause ODBC connect errors or Query is wac
I have a Query fetch_from_bob that moves data (collapses records,unique key search, etc...) from excel spreadsheet "bob" to excel spreadsheet "fred". Fred and bob live in the same directory" c:\123directory" on the same computer. I allow this query to execute/refresh data automatically when one of the query paramaters is changed. This works great. I also have a macro that invokes the query to refresh the data whenever the user desires. This works great as well. The macro literally has all the VB code to execute the query. But I'm just a part time progra...

Outlook: Can't open JPEG files
I have Outlook 2000 an unable to open JPEG files. What setting has to be changed to open these files? ...

Can I only allow printing to pdf in Excel?
I have created a template in Excel which has been set up so that the layout is perfect when printing to pdf (which is how the document will mostly be used) but the layout changes if printing direct to our printer. Is there a way that I can ONLY allow printing to pdf from this document? Hello You may consider using some VBA to achieve this. One way is to use the Workbook_BeforePrint event and specify the pdf printer in the PrintOut method, eg: Private Sub Workbook_BeforePrint(Cancel As Boolean) ActiveSheet.PrintOut copies:=1, ActivePrinter:="CutePDF Writer on CPW2:" End Sub Pl...

why can't I get outlook to send when I'm emailing a webpage?
Hi. When I try to email a webpage to someone, Outlook immediately opens with the email template but it is always missing the send button and there is no option under actions to send it either. What is going on? Thanks!!! If you tell us your Outlook version and Windows version, and exactly what you're doing to send the page, then you'll have a better chance of getting a response. The Internet Explorer version might also be helpful. -- TechieBird http://bwain-dump.blogspot.com "reinadelmar" wrote: > Hi. When I try to email a webpage to someone, Outlook immediately...

Money '04
I'm trying to use the 'Money Browser' w/in MSN Money 2004 and get "Page Cannot Be Displayed" or sometimes "Action Cancelled", but I can surf the web just fine with my cable modem...what's up with that? I've read on this forum that other users are having difficulties w/ this particular issue, any resolution would be helpful. I've tried: regsvr32 msxml3.dll in start|run also have un-installed and re-installed cookies enabled ...

Can CRM 4.0 professional run on Windows SBS 2003?
CRM 3.0 shipped in two flavours: CRM 3.0 for Small Business Server, and CRM 3.0 professional. Apparently, CRM 4.0 doesn't come in a "for Small Business Server". Instead, it ships as "professional" and "enterpriese" editions. Has anyone tried running CRM 4.0 on Windows Small Business Server 2003? Andy Hi, I'm running CRM 4.0 workgroup on SBS 2003 R2, didnt have any problems yet. As long as you have your ReportServices right during installation, you should be fine. Alex "Andy" wrote: > CRM 3.0 shipped in two flavours: CRM 3.0 for Smal...

duplicate contacts and e mail
I have just set up a new mail profile and imported my mail settings from a saved pst file and all of my e mails and contacts are duplicated, is there a way that I can get rid of the duplicates without going through everything one by one? The file is about 500mb and there are hundreds of contacts. Is there a free duplicate e mail remover? http://www.slipstick.com/addins/mail.htm#dupes --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted wit...

Troubleshooting external -> My company e-mail
A VIP user claims that he is sending e-mails from his home address mymail@myfamilydomain.com to his company mailbox. He claims that all e-mails sent from that domain does not get delivered. As far as I know the Exchange AV is not configured to block 'myfamilydomain.com'. I look the logs of the Exchange AV and see no reports there of quarantine messages related to @familydomain.com. What else could I do troubleshoot this type of scenario ? "Marlon Brown" <marlon_brown@hotmail.com> wrote: >A VIP user claims that he is sending e-mails from his home address >mym...

No New Mail
HI All Can anyone help me I have a number of users that are experiencing a problem. The problem is that a new mail icon will appear in their task bar but when they open outlook there is no message in there inbox. Has anyone seen this before? We are running a Exchange 2003. Please Help. Thanks Does the message gets deleted by a rule or the server by te anti-virus/spam software? -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Creating Signatures -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- "Stuart Hagon" <anonymous@discuss...

how to open port in windows server 2003
hi , i have an exchange server 2003(sp1) with windows server 2003 (sp1) the scenarion is like that my mails are going out side through SMTP filter which is installed on another machine in this software the only port 25 is open, internaly my mails are working fine and i can also receive mails from another domain like hotmail and yahoo , but problem i am facing is that from out side of my network means if i want to check my mails from my home i am facing the problem is that i can send mail but can not receivce mail this happend because i am using smtp protocol for sending mails and pop3 ...

Forwarding & Sending on behalf
Hi there folks. I'm at work, and our network admin is out of the country, and I have a small issue. We need to setup an email for our "network support" staff, which will consist of one in-house employee, that will need rights to receive and send on behalf of the networksupport@thiscompany.com. We also have 2 other people that do not work at this company, and have completely different e-mail addresses (so&so@overthere.com) I need these guys to also be able to be forwarded e-mail from the networksupport@ourcompany.com as well as send on behalf. I have a decent understandin...

publication designs in publisher
i am trying to create a flyer in publisher. basically, i have about 7 or 8 different sheets, all with the same content, but i want to have a different publication design for each one, so i can show my boss variations. however, when i try to change the publication design on say, page 3, it changes it on page 1. i can't seem to have 7 or 8 different sheets, all with different publication designs. is this because it sees all these sheets as one publication rather than 7 or 8? any help would be much appreciated. thank you! Read the HELP file how to turn off the Synchronisation. -- ...

Where can I delete an old/incorrect email address?
I'm using Outlook 2003 So I have, say, Sandy in my contacts book. Her email is SW@...... Later her email changes to SAW@...... I make the change in my contacts. But when I'm creating a new email and I start to type "Sandy..." in the TO field, it still finds the old "SW@..." address. Why? How can I delete that old & incorrect address forever? (Without starting from scratch and loosing all my old email?) Thanks Gary use arrow keys to highlight 'bad' address then hit delete btn "jabadoodle" <jabadoodle@yahoo.com> wrote in message n...

problems with toolbar-can't access certan commands i.e.hyperlink
can't access some commands - was working fine - now some commands are in grey - the commands disappeared from the pull down in the commands bar. Help magnus wrote: > can't access some commands - was working fine - now some commands are in grey > - the commands disappeared from the pull down in the commands bar. The hyperlink option may only appear when you are creating a Web Publication in certain versions of Publisher. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://ed.mvps.org Trial version? You may have run out of time. Some pulldowns only work when you are creating a ...

Range object does not support paste method
Greetings! Does anyone know why Range("AJ8").Select ActiveSheet.Paste works, but Range("AJ8").Paste gives the error message: "Run-time error '438': Object Doesn't support this property or method! and is there anyway of accomplishing this with one instruction rather than 2 instructions. Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions. -- May you have a most blessed day! Sincerely, Michael Fitzpatrick Hi Michael Either of these in one line gets it done. Range("AJ8").value = Range("AJ8").value ...

Size Limitations for Attachments send with Outlook E-Mail
Any attachment larger than 100 kb does not send when attempted using Outlook 2003. Please advise as to how one can adjust the size limits for outgoing attachments? Thank you. "Tim" <tgregoire@craneandhoistsales.com> wrote in message news:080201c3dea4$4a835670$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Any attachment larger than 100 kb does not send when > attempted using Outlook 2003. Please advise as to how > one can adjust the size limits for outgoing attachments? > Thank you. Have you checked that your ISP and/or system admin haven't put a limit on? ...

Rich edit control and having a hypertext control to send the messages to windows
Hi Here is the code to detect that if a click is made on word "START". But I have many "START" word Is there any way to detect which "START" word has been clicked? Please Let me know if any Thanks Anup void CRichEditGSDlg::OnLinkRicheditStatic(NMHDR* pNMHDR, LRESULT* pResult) { ENLINK *pLink = reinterpret_cast<ENLINK *>(pNMHDR); FINDTEXTEX findText; *pResult = 0; if( pLink->msg == WM_LBUTTONDOWN ) { long lStart = pLink->chrg.cpMin; long lEnde = pLink->chrg.cpMin; m_Ctrl_RichEditStatic.SetSel(pLink->chrg); CString strLi...

Migrating folders and mail from Entourage to Apple Mail
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: Exchange I am trying to move folders and their contents from Entourage to Apple Mail. I already set up the exchange account on mail and had previously used the Import Mailboxes feature to move my POP account folders and content. When running that Import Mailboxes utility it does not recognize any of the folders for the Exchange account. <br><br>I did go back and delete the POP account to see if leaving only the Exchange account would work. I even shut down the computer and restarted...

Front end server with mail boxes??? can it be done #2
sorry for the late post... i have 50 users "joel" <joelbueno@verizon.net> wrote in news:ehG8e.8669$c93.2155@trnddc08: > sorry for the late post... i have 50 users Why? Are you going to have back-end servers? Regards, -- Arlo Clizer Exchange MVP FAQ: http://www.exchangefaq.org Archives: http://groups.google.com "joel" <joelbueno@verizon.net> wrote: >sorry for the late post... i have 50 users No. -- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm ...

How to print Directly from Dialog based application
HI all, I am writing MFC Extension DLl which has dialog in it. It has list of documents ( like .doc,.xls,.pdf etc....) When user double clicks the document I do ShellExecute to open it..... Now i have print button . When user clicks Print button Selected document in the list should be printed...... I want to print that document directly ( that is without opening corresponding application....e.g. want to print 1.doc without opening MSWord) How can i achive this? Will DDE command will help ? How? Any Guidence Or Link for that? I have tried with ShellexecuteEx with "print" as verb ...

Need to merge multiple records in to one.. Can it be done?
I have a table with thousands of records containing a clients name in one field, a date in a second field and then a note in a third field. A new record is created each time a note was entered for that client. Example: Client A 01/01/01 First Note Client A 01/05/01 Second Note Client A 02/10/01 Third Note Client B 01/01/01 First Note What I need to do is convert this information so each client only has one record and in that record are all of their notes and the dates for those notes. The data is going to be imported in a new program so it must be in the new format. Can someone ...

Creating Accounts under Windows Mail
I'm using Vista sp2 home premium . I just done a restore back to factory setting and I just now down all the Windows Updates . I am trying to create accounts under Windows Mail ... I am able to enter all the correct data for the account , /serve /pop/smtp/password ... Everything is good in that sense of it but once I finish creating account it does not appear within the program ( Windows Mail ) I don't see any folder for it . Is there some sore of setting that I need to correct ? More or less how does one see their email accounts under Windows Mail ? PS : These email ...