Running Exchange 2003 (mixed mode) and Windows 2003 server (Windows 2000
mixed mode):

I'd like to create a e-mail recipient policy that is linked to the different
OU's that are created on the system.

Is it possible to link the policy to a specific OU or do I need to create
groups on the AD to control which recipients a policy applies to?

Martin Moustgaard

Yes, you can create a recipient policy that looks to just a specific OU. It
is done through LDAP queries. Here are some references to articles and
whitepapers that discuss how to work with recipient policies.

249299.KB.EN-US
HOW TO: Configure Recipient Policies in Exchange

326139.KB.EN-US
XADM: White Paper - Exchange 2000 Recipient Management

319201.KB.EN-US
HOW TO: Use Recipient Policies to Control E-mail Addresses in Exchange

While a couple of the articles/whitepapers refer to Exchange 2000 the same
information can be applied to Exchange 2003.

amyma@online.microsoft.com
Please do not send email directly to this alias.  This alias is for
newsgroup purposes only.

"Martin Moustgaard" <nospam_moustrup@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Running Exchange 2003 (mixed mode) and Windows 2003 server (Windows 2000
> mixed mode):
>
> I'd like to create a e-mail recipient policy that is linked to the
different
> OU's that are created on the system.
>
> Is it possible to link the policy to a specific OU or do I need to create
> groups on the AD to control which recipients a policy applies to?
>
> Martin Moustgaard

0
amyma (68)
4/21/2004 11:10:21 AM
Not according to this:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=296112

--
Neil Hobson
Exchange MVP

For Exchange news, links and tips, check:
http://www.msexchangeblog.com

"Amy-Leigh Mack[MSFT]" <amyma@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Yes, you can create a recipient policy that looks to just a specific OU.
It
> is done through LDAP queries. Here are some references to articles and
> whitepapers that discuss how to work with recipient policies.
>
> 249299.KB.EN-US
> HOW TO: Configure Recipient Policies in Exchange
>
> 326139.KB.EN-US
> XADM: White Paper - Exchange 2000 Recipient Management
>
> 319201.KB.EN-US
> HOW TO: Use Recipient Policies to Control E-mail Addresses in Exchange
>
> While a couple of the articles/whitepapers refer to Exchange 2000 the same
> information can be applied to Exchange 2003.
>
> amyma@online.microsoft.com
> Please do not send email directly to this alias.  This alias is for
> newsgroup purposes only.
rights.

> "Martin Moustgaard" <nospam_moustrup@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Running Exchange 2003 (mixed mode) and Windows 2003 server (Windows 2000
> > mixed mode):
> >
> > I'd like to create a e-mail recipient policy that is linked to the
> different
> > OU's that are created on the system.
> >
> > Is it possible to link the policy to a specific OU or do I need to
create
> > groups on the AD to control which recipients a policy applies to?
> >
> > Martin Moustgaard

0
neil.hobson (1158)
4/21/2004 11:39:48 AM
Hello Amy.

Thank you for the quick response :-)

However when I has looking at the KB's I also found this stating that I
can't use OU in that matter:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;296112

Or am I just not reading that KB right?

Martin Moustgaard

"Amy-Leigh Mack[MSFT]" <amyma@online.microsoft.com> skrev i en meddelelse
> Yes, you can create a recipient policy that looks to just a specific OU.
It
> is done through LDAP queries. Here are some references to articles and
> whitepapers that discuss how to work with recipient policies.
>
> 249299.KB.EN-US
> HOW TO: Configure Recipient Policies in Exchange
>
> 326139.KB.EN-US
> XADM: White Paper - Exchange 2000 Recipient Management
>
> 319201.KB.EN-US
> HOW TO: Use Recipient Policies to Control E-mail Addresses in Exchange
>
> While a couple of the articles/whitepapers refer to Exchange 2000 the same
> information can be applied to Exchange 2003.
>
> amyma@online.microsoft.com
> Please do not send email directly to this alias.  This alias is for
> newsgroup purposes only.
rights.

> "Martin Moustgaard" <nospam_moustrup@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Running Exchange 2003 (mixed mode) and Windows 2003 server (Windows 2000
> > mixed mode):
> >
> > I'd like to create a e-mail recipient policy that is linked to the
> different
> > OU's that are created on the system.
> >
> > Is it possible to link the policy to a specific OU or do I need to
create
> > groups on the AD to control which recipients a policy applies to?
> >
> > Martin Moustgaard

The article is correct, but that does not mean you cannot use properties of
a user in an OU for the LDAP query.  For example in the Organization day the
department could be the OU name and the LDAP query could locate users with
the qualification Department=OUName.

> Hello Amy.
>
> Thank you for the quick response :-)
>
> However when I has looking at the KB's I also found this stating that I
> can't use OU in that matter:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;296112
>
> Or am I just not reading that KB right?
>
> Martin Moustgaard
>
> "Amy-Leigh Mack[MSFT]" <amyma@online.microsoft.com> skrev i en meddelelse
> > Yes, you can create a recipient policy that looks to just a specific OU.
> It
> > is done through LDAP queries. Here are some references to articles and
> > whitepapers that discuss how to work with recipient policies.
> >
> > 249299.KB.EN-US
> > HOW TO: Configure Recipient Policies in Exchange
> >
> > 326139.KB.EN-US
> > XADM: White Paper - Exchange 2000 Recipient Management
> >
> > 319201.KB.EN-US
> > HOW TO: Use Recipient Policies to Control E-mail Addresses in Exchange
> >
> > While a couple of the articles/whitepapers refer to Exchange 2000 the
same
> > information can be applied to Exchange 2003.
> >
> > amyma@online.microsoft.com
> > Please do not send email directly to this alias.  This alias is for
> > newsgroup purposes only.
> rights.
> >
> > "Martin Moustgaard" <nospam_moustrup@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Running Exchange 2003 (mixed mode) and Windows 2003 server (Windows
2000
> > > mixed mode):
> > >
> > > I'd like to create a e-mail recipient policy that is linked to the
> > different
> > > OU's that are created on the system.
> > >
> > > Is it possible to link the policy to a specific OU or do I need to
> create
> > > groups on the AD to control which recipients a policy applies to?
> > >
> > > Martin Moustgaard

0
amyma (68)
4/21/2004 12:07:10 PM
What you should do is work around the problem ..

For instance, for each user you can designate an existing attribute (for example extensionattribute10) to hold a specific value (name of the OU in which the user account resides) and then perform your LDAP search based on this attribute ..

Only problem is when new user accounts are created, you needs to add the value of ex. extensionattribute10 ... for most of us not really a problem because we create users accounts through LDAP ...

Greetz
0
anonymous (74722)
4/21/2004 12:31:03 PM
I wonder why you even want to use the RUS in such a complex environment

My experience tells me that you can do a better job creating mail enabled users yourself instead of using the RUS

Advantage of shooting in your own mail enabled users
1) No strange behaviour when duplicate addresses exis
2) primary e-mail addresses are not overwritten by the RUS because you are smart and unflagged the "Automatically update e-mail ..." (someone accidently performs a rebuild now;-
3) More power of how e-mail addresses are build (programmatically that is) --> you control what to do when duplicate address are build!!!!

Then you just create FAKE Recipient Policies for routing purposes (although Microsoft says that routing does not work properly without defining a recipient policy for the address space in question, we made it work ;-) ... But since you need a recipient policy for OWA access  .... conform to the MAN IN BLU

So, just find out al the stuff that the RUS injects, and inject it yourself (examples: msExchPoliciesExcluded,  msExchPoliciesIncluded,  SELF permission (--> is a unique SID for each Organization), etc ...) --> trial and error, but when it get it right, the possibilities are endless (create your own tooling for creating mailbox --> less administrators needed --> security !!!

Have fun
0
anonymous (74722)
4/21/2004 1:01:04 PM
In my setup we have 4 different OU's for the user (one for each country
where we have an office). We also have 4 different e-mail domains (matching
the company name in the 4 countries). What I was aming for was to create 4
different recipient policies,- one for each OU (and thereby one for each
country) in order to set the Primary e-mail address of each user to match
the OU/country.

Now from what I read in the different KB, that can't be done by OU name
alone. Instead I need to set a property (e.g. Country) on each user in order
to have the right policy applied to the user (assuming that the policies are
filtered on the Country property of the users). Is that correct?

> The article is correct, but that does not mean you cannot use properties
of
> a user in an OU for the LDAP query.  For example in the Organization day
the
> department could be the OU name and the LDAP query could locate users with
> the qualification Department=OUName.
>
> amyma@online.microsoft.com
> Please do not send email directly to this alias.  This alias is for
> newsgroup purposes only.
rights.

> "Martin Moustgaard" <nospam_moustrup@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hello Amy.
> >
> > Thank you for the quick response :-)
> >
> > However when I has looking at the KB's I also found this stating that I
> > can't use OU in that matter:
> >
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;296112
> >
> > Or am I just not reading that KB right?
> >
> > Martin Moustgaard
> >
> > "Amy-Leigh Mack[MSFT]" <amyma@online.microsoft.com> skrev i en
meddelelse
> > > Yes, you can create a recipient policy that looks to just a specific
OU.
> > It
> > > is done through LDAP queries. Here are some references to articles and
> > > whitepapers that discuss how to work with recipient policies.
> > >
> > > 249299.KB.EN-US
> > > HOW TO: Configure Recipient Policies in Exchange
> > >
> > > 326139.KB.EN-US
> > > XADM: White Paper - Exchange 2000 Recipient Management
> > >
> > > 319201.KB.EN-US
> > > HOW TO: Use Recipient Policies to Control E-mail Addresses in Exchange
> > >
> > > While a couple of the articles/whitepapers refer to Exchange 2000 the
> same
> > > information can be applied to Exchange 2003.
> > >
> > > amyma@online.microsoft.com
> > > Please do not send email directly to this alias.  This alias is for
> > > newsgroup purposes only.
> > rights.
> > >
> > > "Martin Moustgaard" <nospam_moustrup@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> 2000

> > > different

> > create

I don't think that our enviroment is that conplex :-) It's just that we have
4 different e-mail domains and even though each user must have an e-mail in
each domain, the primary e-mail depends on what country they work in
(therefore duplicates shouldn't be an issue for us).

And since we only have about 150 employees world wide it isn't that much of
a burden, but if I could automate the process of setting the right primary
address just by creating 4 different recipient policies, then I didn't have
to think about it anymore :-)

Actuately I think I've found another way because it seems that I can apply
the policies to the users depending on where they have their mailbox (that
is, on which server they have their mailbox). And since we have a server in
each country, that should to the trick :-)

Martin Moustgaard

"Dirk Buntinx" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i en meddelelse
> I wonder why you even want to use the RUS in such a complex environment ?
>
> My experience tells me that you can do a better job creating mail enabled
users yourself instead of using the RUS.

> Advantage of shooting in your own mail enabled users:
> 1) No strange behaviour when duplicate addresses exist
> 2) primary e-mail addresses are not overwritten by the RUS because you are
smart and unflagged the "Automatically update e-mail ..." (someone
accidently performs a rebuild now;-)
> 3) More power of how e-mail addresses are build (programmatically that
is) --> you control what to do when duplicate address are build!!!!!

> Then you just create FAKE Recipient Policies for routing purposes
(although Microsoft says that routing does not work properly without
defining a recipient policy for the address space in question, we made it
work ;-) ... But since you need a recipient policy for OWA access  ....
conform to the MAN IN BLUE

> So, just find out al the stuff that the RUS injects, and inject it
yourself (examples: msExchPoliciesExcluded,  msExchPoliciesIncluded,  SELF
permission (--> is a unique SID for each Organization), etc ...) --> trial
and error, but when it get it right, the possibilities are endless (create
your own tooling for creating mailbox --> less administrators needed -->
security !!! )

> Have fun

can't send or receive emails

Access 97 can't resize database window

How to link with an Access DB
Hi, I have an Acces DB with many tables. I need to choose the name of a customer in a cell of Excel. For example, in acces I have this tables: Table1 Id Name Last Name City I need to choose the last name from a drop down menu in a spreadsheet and then in other cell I need to put all the data regarding the last name that I choose. I hope to be exaustive, and sorry for my english. :-) Many Thanks Stefano ...

How can I get 32-bit Integers?

Can you delete Business Alerts?

Office 2007 forms

Mysterious e-mails
i keep getting e-mails that look and appear that they have come from people either in my phone book or in some cases from people that have ligitimately e-mailed me or that I have e-mailed. In fact the e-mail has come from somewhere else even though the sender appears to be ligitimate. Most of these e-mails are dated 3 or four weeks old and show that they have been read in my inbox. I've asked a few people if they have forwarded the mail to me but they havn't. Most e-mails are selling Viagra or some other product. ??? any clue ??? Thanks in advance You're being spammed. First...

Table link documentation

Mail will not Send/Receive automatically
I have outlook set up to send/receive every minute but it suddenly stopped doing so. Anyone have ideas why? Robin Several. For starters, a one minute polling interval is just nuts. It is difficult to determine why automatic polling is failing when you do not post your mail account type, connection type and polling settings. If automatic polling once worked and now fails, you also need to examine what changes were made to your setup before automatic polling stopped working. In general, here are the reasons automatic polling might fail in Outlook: 1. You have created an unrealistic po...

can I snap wrap points to a text box

Outlook Mail via a PROXY SERVER?
If I am using a shared Internet service on a second computer using a PROXY server on the host (first) computer. I can access the net using the PROXY settings on the Internet explorer. However, how do I download mail with OUTLOOK 2000? The proxy server is CCPROXY from YoungZSoft (this runs on XP) and it has the MAIL Settings enabled but the difficulty is what to do on the Second computer? Thanks, -- John jrg_REM_SPAM@bigpond.net.au That would be determined by the proxy manufacturer - check with their support. JM7 wrote: > If I am using a shared Internet service on a second computer ...

Why ClassWiard can't see my Class?
I created a class(Class-A), derived a class(Class-B) which derived from CWnd class. When I used mouse right-click on the new-created class, it shows a popup-command-menu which missing "add virtual function" and "add windows message handler". From ClassWizard I couldn't see the new-created class either. I tried to delete myprogram.clw & re-issue ClassWizard, but it doesn't help. Anyone can help ? Thanks, Eagle "EagleChen" <xx@xx> wrote in message news:uRGde941DHA.3496@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > I created a class(Class-A), derived a class(C...

Using Company Wide Mail Templates.

Mail enabled public folders / spam
Hello, For each of my users inbox I have exchange mark mail with the SCL and move anything over my threshold into their junk mail folder. This works pretty well and eliminates nearly all of the spam we get. I have not thus far managed to work out how to get this working for mail enabled public folders. How can I set this up (perhaps nominating anotehr folder as the 'junk mail' folder) or something similar? TIA, Nick ...

WLM Beta Junk Mail Filter
The junk mail filters has stopped filtering mail. The address shows in the list of blocked addresses but the mail is not filtered. The filter worked fine in WLM but I don't think it has worked since I loaded the Beta. Where exactly are you looking when you say the address is the same as the one in your Blocked Senders? The From line may not show the true entry, look at the entry in the From field you see after pressing Ctrl+F3 on that message. Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) "DickW2" wrote in message news:O7$LTHNMLHA.4084@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... T...

Publisher can not save file

Outlook 2003