Block incoming messages for a certain user

I have what I think is a relatively simple problem, but don't know how
to do it.  I would like to block all incoming mail to a specific email
address, with a list of exceptions that are allowed to send.

Here's the situation:  I have a young daughter that I'd like to give
an Exchange account to.  However, I'd like to block all but select
addresses, but only for her account.  Everyone else on the server
should be unaffected.  I'd like to do this on the Exchange server
rather than in the client, since blocking it in Outlook, for example,
would still show it in OWA.

Ideally what I'd really like is for all incoming email for her that
does not come from one of the designated addresses, automatically
respond with an email saying something like "You'll have to chat with
my dad before you can send me any email."

Can I do that with Exchange?  Can I do that with the IMF add-on?  Is
there other software I should be looking at?  I can't justify a
commercial (i.e. costly) solution for this, since right now it's just
for her.

Any input will be appreciated!

Thanks!
Brad.
0
plettb1 (8)

On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 01:34:25 -0600, Bradley Plett
<plettb@newsgroup.nospam> wrote:

>I have what I think is a relatively simple problem, but don't know how
>to do it.  I would like to block all incoming mail to a specific email
>address, with a list of exceptions that are allowed to send.
>
>Here's the situation:  I have a young daughter that I'd like to give
>an Exchange account to.  However, I'd like to block all but select
>addresses, but only for her account.  Everyone else on the server
>should be unaffected.  I'd like to do this on the Exchange server
>rather than in the client, since blocking it in Outlook, for example,
>would still show it in OWA.
>
>Ideally what I'd really like is for all incoming email for her that
>does not come from one of the designated addresses, automatically
>respond with an email saying something like "You'll have to chat with
>my dad before you can send me any email."
>
>Can I do that with Exchange?  Can I do that with the IMF add-on?  Is
>there other software I should be looking at?  I can't justify a
>commercial (i.e. costly) solution for this, since right now it's just
>for her.
>
>Any input will be appreciated!
>
>Thanks!
>Brad.

You need to look at it from a slightly different angle.
Create a DG in AD for all your users within your Exchange solution.
Then on the daughters properties you select the "accept messages only
from" and use that DG.
If she has external friends (obviously she will) then you create AD
contacts for them and place those into a separate DG. Add that
contacts DG into the same place you did the other one.

Your daughter will then be able to email anyone, but will only be able
to get messages from family on the server and contacts that you have
created.

It also has the benefit of you being able to keep track of those
contacts (since you have to create them) and know that the spelling
will be right.
0
mark7219 (5666)

X.400 message DDA configuration procedure
I am having the problem exactly described in this article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en- us;160947&Product=ech The resolution is: Configure the X.400 message so that the DDA type and DDA value are not null. The maximum value for the DDA type is 8 and the maximum value for the DDA value is 128. I was not able to find the proper procedure for that fix in the Knowledge Database nor in MS's Exchange 5.5 Guides. Any help is very appreciated, Thanks in advance This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_017B_01C3BB11.DF73EB20 Content-Ty...

Message Options (Delayed Emails)
Hi all, I have a user on my network who uses the Message Options often to delay emails in the Outbox to a specific time. (For example, the user can write an email at 1pm and click send and the email will sit in the Outbox until the specified time the user has set in the Message Options dialog box.) The problem is that sometimes the messages work and sometimes they dont. Has anyone experienced this before? Thanks. Warren wrote: > Hi all, > > I have a user on my network who uses the Message Options > often to delay emails in the Outbox to a specific time. > > (For exa...

question re international characters in e-mail message
I have my keyboard set up as US - International. For me to type the Euro symbol, I simply press CTRL + ALT + 5 and I see €. I just now responded to an e-mail where I could not enter that symbol. I created a new e-mail message and there was no problem for me to enter that symbol. Can someone else's e-mail message have a built in limitation that precludes me from responding using that symbol .... or was this a one time glitch? Thanks, Dave Horne You might have additional keyboard layouts/languages installed which doesn't support that character. See http://www.msoutlook.info/...

How do I get the header to print out for e-mail messages?
For some reason, I am unable to print out the header of e-mail messages and it only prints out the message but not the time/date, subject, To..., From...., etc. Does anyone have an idea how to get this back on? Aloha yoda_the_webmaster, I'm guessing you're using Outlook 2003 (or earlier?) with Internet Explorer 7. That's a known issue that the IE team is working on. In the meantime you can either try and go back to IE6, upgrade to Outlook 2007 (which is unaffected because it doesn't use IE to print HTML messages) or edit the message and change the format to Rich T...

Error Message: Could not open one or more attachments
Whenever I use the "Send To" options in Excel, Word or any text format and choose "mail as attachments" in Outlook 2000, I keep getting the error message "Could not open one or more attachments." Any ideas to fix this? Any help is very much appreciated. ...

Forwarding messages messes up HTML tables

IMF Gateway blocking configuration
I have the IMF working very well, the only issue I have is when I set up my custom thresholds and actions under "Gateway blocking configuration" they are changed by it self to defaults the next day and I have to be changing them back to my desire settings everyday. Does someone know how to fix this? Thanks Are you on Exchange Server 2003 SP2? Did you have IMF v1 installed earlier by any chance? -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog location: www.exchangepedia.com/blog ---------------------------------------------- "Xavier" <Xavier@discussion...

Unread Message in Public Folders
Hello, the bold number next to Public Folders, showing the number of unread messages, does not match the number of actual unread messages in the folders. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Office 97 but this did not fix it. Any ideas? Thanks. Randy What happens if you refresh the view? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer: Randy <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> asked: | Hello, the bold number next to Public Folders, showing the | number of unread messag...

multi user #3
is it possibe to be able to access a spreadsheet by multiple user and b able to change data in that sheet.eg like a booking form athat can b accessed by several different computer -- Lin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Lins's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2422 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=39354 Yes take a look at Tools>Share Workbook "Lins" wrote: > > is it possibe to be able to access a spreadsheet by multiple user and be > able to change da...

Max 5 Simultaneous Users of a Database?
In his book "Access VBA Programming for Dummies", page 299, author Alan Simpson discusses splitting a database into a front end and a back end to enable simultaneous use. The front end is then distributed to each user "up to a maximum of five simultaneous users". This seems a very low maximum - probably not one that I can live with. Is it accurate? Any advice or suggestions in this regard? David Portwood wrote: > In his book "Access VBA Programming for Dummies", page 299, author > Alan Simpson discusses splitting a database into a front end and a >...

How to make a service start a process with some user under VISTA?
In vista, services are not allowed to interactive with user. So I want to create a service to launch specified process when a process with some user sends a request. The request could be implemented by using IPC, but I don't know how to make the service to determine which user to use to start a new process. In the other words, the service have no idea about user's access token. Is anyone has idea? WTSGetActiveConsoleSessionId, WTSQuerySessionInformation. Warning: Only use the Unicode version of WTSQuerySessionInformation. If your application is running in ANSI mode then call W...

What is best way to migrate 15 users in a remote site from a local to a central server?
Hi, We have a mostly Windows (and Exchange) 2000 network, that is based upon Citrix. We have one site left where they use a local Exchange server, rather than the main one at the HQ. I need to migrate the users onto the centrally based server, and although there are only 15 or so users, the mailboxes can be up to 2 gig in size. We connect to the local site via an ASDL router, so such massive data going across the network is not really an option. I was thinking of egoing to the site, and using the Exmerge utility to save the mailboxes onto a DVD, and then restoring them from disk onto the cent...

New User
Using Outlook 2003 with Exchange Server 2000 on XP Pro SP2 - all service packs updated. Attempted to setup a new user account on this system because previous employee has left and need new profile established. When attempt to setup email through Exchange and click 'Check Name' we get the following error: C:\Windows\System32\shell32.dll, Control_RunDLL C:\Program~1\Common~1\system\MSMAPI\1033\MLCFG32.cpl' "@0" The new user account will work fine on another system on the network, so the problem is not with Exchange but with this local system. Have tried deleting the pro...

Unable to sentd email to certain domains...
recently, we had an incident where we were unable to send email to a particualr domain. We kept getting NDR's from anything sent to that domain. After calling this comany and talking to their tech support guys, they informed me that they had to place our public IP address in their hosts file to resolve the issue and the problem stems from teh fact that they have implemented measures to reduce SPAM which involves requiring a reverse DNS lookup to be successful from every domain they receive mail from. SInce ours was unsuccessful (due to a problem with our public IP provider), we kept gettin...

Saving messages in OE V6
Can I save out messages in outlook as I can with the address book ??? Hi, Alan - This is a group to support Outlook from the Office group of programs. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and is a quite different program, despite its similar name.. You will probably get a faster and more expert answer if you post this to an Outlook Express news group. Try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie55.outlookexpress for OE 5.5x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpr...

how do I block large attatchments in my inbox
"Tan" <Tan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F650B915-631A-45BB-9E5E-2557FB013891@microsoft.com... > If they are in your Inbox then you have already received it. You can delete it but it's too late to block since you've received it. Is there a way you can elect to not receive any emails from a sender? I found I can elect them as junk mail or do I need to change my email address? Thanks for your reply, "Alan" wrote: > > "Tan" <Tan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message > news:F650B915-631A-45BB-9E5...

Printing Sent and Replied to Messages
I have a user that cannot print any Sent or Replied to messages it seems, but randomly one that is sent to them is printable. Seems to be only happening to the one user and no one else is having the problem. The user is using Windows XP Pro, and Outlook 2003. Thx Eric I would also like to add she has alot of HTML goodies in her emails, such as "Dancing Cats and Dogs" Just and FYI Thx Eric Eric <ecomaz@gmail.com> wrote: > I have a user that cannot print any Sent or Replied to messages it > seems, but randomly one that is sent to them is printable. Seems to > b...

Message
Hi. I modified a worksheet and did a save as. Now, I get a messag when I open it that says something like : This worksheet contain links to outside data sources......do you wish to update? How do I ge rid of this? Thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Get a copy of Bill Manville's FindLink program: http://www.bmsltd.ie/MVP/Default.htm It'll help you find those links. Then you can see what you want to do with them (convert to values or point at something else) "Scottmk <" wrote: > > Hi. I modified a worksheet and did a save as. Now, I ...

outlook 2007 error message in archive folders
for no discernable reason some and only some of my archive folders will no longer open and give the following error message: the message interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists restart Oultlook I have restarted not only outlook but rebooted my computer with no positive result. I have also gone back a month to a restore point but this has not changed the position. As I say it is only some files and then only some subfiles in larger files. One month ago there were no issues. I have added no new programs to the computer Try running scanpst.exe against y...

Cannot add sound or video any more to Outlook E-mail (Word Mail) message!
Using Windows XP Pro and Office 2003. Recently updated both to their newest service packs. (including xpsp2). Word (2003) is set as my e-mail editor for Outlook 2003. Before I could add video, audio, or marquee text to an Outlook E-mail message by clicking on the appropriate icon on the "Web Tools" toolbar. Now when I click on one of those icons, I get an error message like the following: ---------------------- The object was created in HTMLInlineVideoCtl. This application is not available to open this object. Make sure the application is properly installed, and that it has ...

get the username of the logged on user
I am creating a windows service which is running under Localsystem account. How can i find out the username of the currently logged in user. GetUserName() function returns "SYSTEM". Even the GetTempPath() function returns the path of systems temp directory. And every access to HKEY_CURRENT_USER registry key gives me wrong information as the current user in such case is .Default Can anyone please tell me a way to find out the name of the logged in windows user??? The service has to run in system context so i cant change it. Thanks in Advance... "Rohit Kumar" <Roh...

User Form to Replace Master & SubDocument
I want to replace a Master & SubDocument series with a User Form (M&S crashes constantly). I have a list of 11 managers to pick from and don't always select each one, but the order also constantly changes. What do suggest to be the best format to use in this case? I thought to use check boxes to select the manager, but not sure how to re-order the inserts. Thanks, MR We really need more information on what you are doing, but you could have a userform with two list boxes, one of which is populated with all of the managers names with the other one being populat...

Error Number: 0x800ccc0e when I try to get messages
Hello, I am a postmaster of our network and I am having some problems with Outlook 2000 and our pop3 server. The problem is that randomly, Outlook's users can not download their mail because they get the error number 0x800ccc0e when they try to send amd receive mail. We are using Microsoft Outlook 2000 SP-3 (9.0.0.6627) and our server is a Linux Debian running a 2.4.27 kernel. I have tried with ipop3d and in.qpopper as a pop3 daemons and with both I get the error. There is no firewall between them and this is the tcpdump capture from the server (our pop3 server runs at port 40110, bu...

OWA block sender list max?
While using Exchange Server 2003's Outlook Web Access client, if I right-click on a message and select "Add sender to blocked sender list" I get the following error: An error occurred processing your Junk E-mail lists. You are over the size limit on the server. There a few in the list already but not a ton. I have confirmed that this user (or any user for that matter) are anywhere close to the mailbox store size limit. There are send/recieve limits of 200,000 KB but that's waaaaay more than anyone seems to be using. Any ideas, is there just a max with OWA? Thanks, Marc...

Exchange 2000 Cannot delete mail message
Have several messages in a few mailbox users inboxes that can not be deleted. The local client is a pop account pulling messages down from server. Server shows an e-mail message in inbox but it is not downloading because the file path is not available and therefor can't be moved to local computer. When I view the server database, I can see the message, but can not delete. When I view from command prompt, same results. Can not delete, rename or anything as path is not specified or available...yet it is there. How can I delete this message? Have you tried using MDBVue32 and/o...