Best Practice on Ex-employees - New Exchange Admin here!

I administer Exchange but only have an inherated Exchange 5.5. server
and will like to know what is the best practice for ex-employees.

When a person leaves what do yo do with their mailbox?

Then... What do you do when people ask you for their Email files?

I know there are several options like exporting their mailbox to a pst
but I want to know YOUR tactic!! the BEST PRACTICE ! you implement on
your experience.

Thank you for helping me go up the stairs one step at a time....
0
ocarmona (4)

that really would depend on policies set by your upper management and/or
your HR department...if they wish to retain a copy of all departed
employees' mailboxes, then yes, you could make a copy to a pst file, then
archive it to tape, if you like...but when anyone asks me to access an
ex-employee's mailbox, I get the approval of a VP of HR...that could get
very sticky...even though corporate email is said to belong to the
corporation, it could still be construed as an invasion of privacy...I do as
instructed, but ensure that everything is properly approved...

"Oscar" <ocarmona@orasysit.com> wrote in message
> I administer Exchange but only have an inherated Exchange 5.5. server
> and will like to know what is the best practice for ex-employees.
>
> When a person leaves what do yo do with their mailbox?
>
> Then... What do you do when people ask you for their Email files?
>
> I know there are several options like exporting their mailbox to a pst
> but I want to know YOUR tactic!! the BEST PRACTICE ! you implement on
> your experience.
>
> Thank you for helping me go up the stairs one step at a time....

0
susan7353 (1225)
11/12/2004 10:27:20 PM
I follow a very similar practice to Susans.
- HR notifies me of the situation and generally says to remove address from
GAL.
- Generally I won't hear from the direct manager.
- if there are no other instructions I; access mailbox, copy to pst, put
with users other network files and archive to cd or tape.
- HR or the persons former manager are the only ones who can request/approve
access to the information or tell me who the files should go to.

Kevin

"Oscar" wrote:

> I administer Exchange but only have an inherated Exchange 5.5. server
> and will like to know what is the best practice for ex-employees.
>
> When a person leaves what do yo do with their mailbox?
>
> Then... What do you do when people ask you for their Email files?
>
> I know there are several options like exporting their mailbox to a pst
> but I want to know YOUR tactic!! the BEST PRACTICE ! you implement on
> your experience.
>
> Thank you for helping me go up the stairs one step at a time....

0
KSquare (3)
11/12/2004 11:25:01 PM
On 12 Nov 2004 13:51:00 -0800, ocarmona@orasysit.com (Oscar) wrote:

>I administer Exchange but only have an inherated Exchange 5.5. server
>and will like to know what is the best practice for ex-employees.
>
>When a person leaves what do yo do with their mailbox?
>
>Then... What do you do when people ask you for their Email files?
>
>I know there are several options like exporting their mailbox to a pst
>but I want to know YOUR tactic!! the BEST PRACTICE ! you implement on
>your experience.

Employee is removed from the address list, then 30-60 days later the
mailbox is exported to a PST file and removed.  The delay makes it
easier if a new employee takes over and needs their emails, or someone
needs access to their email.

But, we're a municipal government and have retention requirements due
to public records laws that may not affect you.  In other words, your
management policy may be to delete the mailbox and all mail in it.

Jeff
Well usually here there is no privacy for email. The users know that
and have legally signed the whatever docs.

What I was doing is exporting it to a PST and putting it in a share
"retiredusers$". Then I gave access to that share for whoever needed
it. But it's kind of a hassle.

How do you usually give access to the Managers, Replacement Employees,
and all the other people that want access? do you put is on a share?
do you include in the profile?

Share:
If I put it on the share then I have to modify the script and map the
user to it. (more hassle) Then remember to take of the share after 60
days or so??

Do you just give them a CD?

If the new employee needs access to them.... how do you transfer the
files, through PST conversion as well??

I guess I thought there could be a faster function which I did not
know about ... or may be even a
utility??????????????????????????????????

KNow of a good utility for this?
0
ocarmona (4)
11/15/2004 1:06:18 PM
are you using exmerge to make the copy?

> Well usually here there is no privacy for email. The users know that
> and have legally signed the whatever docs.
>
> What I was doing is exporting it to a PST and putting it in a share
> "retiredusers$". Then I gave access to that share for whoever needed
> it. But it's kind of a hassle.
>
> How do you usually give access to the Managers, Replacement Employees,
> and all the other people that want access? do you put is on a share?
> do you include in the profile?
>
> Share:
> If I put it on the share then I have to modify the script and map the
> user to it. (more hassle) Then remember to take of the share after 60
> days or so??
>
> Do you just give them a CD?
>
> If the new employee needs access to them.... how do you transfer the
> files, through PST conversion as well??
>

> I guess I thought there could be a faster function which I did not
> know about ... or may be even a
> utility??????????????????????????????????
>
> KNow of a good utility for this?

0
susan7353 (1225)
11/15/2004 2:33:48 PM
On 15 Nov 2004 05:06:18 -0800, ocarmona@orasysit.com (Oscar) wrote:

>Well usually here there is no privacy for email. The users know that
>and have legally signed the whatever docs.
>
>What I was doing is exporting it to a PST and putting it in a share
>"retiredusers$". Then I gave access to that share for whoever needed
>it. But it's kind of a hassle.

Yep.

>How do you usually give access to the Managers, Replacement Employees,
>and all the other people that want access? do you put is on a share?
>do you include in the profile?

Usually none of the above.  I change access to the mailbox to me, open
the mailbox and forward mail as needed.  Usually this is "Forward me
all the mail from xyz...".  Once archived to a PST, it still goes
through the IT department for retrieval.

>Share:
>If I put it on the share then I have to modify the script and map the
>user to it. (more hassle) Then remember to take of the share after 60
>days or so??

>Do you just give them a CD?
>
>If the new employee needs access to them.... how do you transfer the
>files, through PST conversion as well??

Uusally forward as well.  Sometimes a PST export/import.

>I guess I thought there could be a faster function which I did not
>know about ... or may be even a
>utility??????????????????????????????????

Exmerge may do some of what you ask, but it's not perfect either.

Jeff
**SIGH** At least it was worth a try to ask! Thank you so much for you
feedback and keeping me out of the doubt.

I hope this has gotten better for Exchange 2003 !!!!! God Bless!
0
ocarmona (4)

CRM Email account for Exchange has thousands of emails in it.
Is it normal for Exchange to store all emails sent to the CRM email account used for the Exchange router? Do I need to do something in CRM or more likely Exchange to purge these? We have a client that has 7000 emails in it after a couple months. -- Thanks, Brian The emails in the CRM email account should be auto-purged. No user intervention is required. On the Exhange box, - Check that the CRM-Exchange Email Router Service is started - Check the Event log. Thanks for this. So now I have found the the email address set up in when installing the CRM Exchange router is wrong...

Any Help documentation for Exchange 2007?
E2k7' help button gives 'Cannot display Help' Technical details: HC not found. (MS.OSSADMIN.manifest , 1033) Did I miss something? Not all the help is completed in the Beta 2 release. "Prem" <premmetje@zonnet.nl> wrote in message news:1161634519.758601.285030@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > E2k7' help button gives 'Cannot display Help' Technical details: HC not > found. (MS.OSSADMIN.manifest , 1033) > Did I miss something? > ...

Exchange Crash -- all we have is the ispriv.edb file
Hello all -- A client of mine never did any exchange 2003 backups, but did copy over the ispriv.edb file over to an external USB harddrive. All we want to do is pull the email out of that directory (8GB file) and put it into .pst files. Then, Ill reinstall Exchange, and open each person's mail box and copy the contents of each .PST file back to the server. My question is: If I only have the ISPRIV.EDB file, how do I get mail out of it ? Is there some super cool easy to use tool for this? ;-) Any help appreciated!! Sincerely, Blake http://wm.quest.com/products/recoverymanage...

Locking down relaying in Exchange 2000
Hello All, I have searched this newsgroup for recommendations for shutting down the open relay capabilities in Exchange Server 2000. I ran the relay test from a site recommended in a previous post in this group: http://msv.dk/ This test ran and the following are the failures listed from the test. Note: The Ip address, Servername, and domain name have been changed to protect the ignorant (me). Can anyone explain how each of these failures were caused, and even more importantly, how to block them, if, in fact, they are true failures? At the time of this test, the test did not check for ful...

New Workbook Path
Thought I would make a comment ... Did you know there is no Path property for a New Workbook ??!!! Of course the Path property is empty for a new workbook. What would it be? -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "exceluserforeman" <exceluserforeman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DE28F767-7B5A-433F-9463-A5228572CCB1@microsoft.com... > Thought I would make a comment ... > > Did you know there is no Path property for a New Workbook ??!!! > > > > Thank you for your...

Cannot create new mailbox
I'm having an issue of not being able to create a new mailbox. I can go through the process of creating the user in AD Users & Computers and everything is successfull. I can even see the user in the GAL. But I cannot access the mailbox by opening it nor does it show up in system manager even after sending a message to the mailbox. I do have full permissions to the mailbox. It seems like it is not being created even though the recipient policy seems to be working because it does generate an address for the account. Any help would be appreciated. ...

New to exchange #3
Does anyone know how to take a large file break it down to smaller parts send it through outlook and then merge it back into one file within outlook on the other end. Apparently there is a way to do thi within outlook. There isn't anyway to do that with Outlook. You could do it with WinRAR, or search for a program on google called HJSplit. Winzip can create files like that too, but I prefer WinRAR. -- Martin Blackstone MVP - Exchange http://www.swinc.com/resource/exchange.htm http://www.swinc.com/resource/e2kfaq_appxc.htm <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messag...

Entourage 2008 Web Services Edition cannot connect to Exchange Server 2007
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: Exchange I have been using Entourage 2008 to connect to our Exchange server since it's release (part of Office 2008) and I have recently followed the instructions to update it to the Web Services Edition. I am now unable to connect to my Exchange account with this version but as soon as I re-install the 'normal' version of Entourage 2008 everything works. <br><br>Is there something I need to enable on the Exchange 2007 server to allow the Web Services Edition to connect? ...

[ANN] New installer for 12.0.1
MacBu released a new installer for the Office 2008 Update 12.0.1 today. This is not new Office bits to be installed, but the installer itself that was changed. This change was a result of problems experienced by some Office 2008 users having a failed update to 12.0.1. If you are one of the unfortunate few that had problems, this patch is for you. If you were able to successfully update to 12.0.1 then you do not need this patch. Continue reading for steps to properly update Office 2008 to version 12.0.1. -- Diane, Microsoft Mac MVP (MVPs are not Microsoft Employees) Entourage Help Page <...

Setting Public Folder Permissions (Exchange 2003)
We have a public folder on our Exchange server that stores all of our client contact information. I know that there is a way to assign permissions (Owner, Editor, etc) to the other Exchange users. I did this once or twice when we were on Exchange 5.5. How would I do that on Exchange 2003? It is in the Exchange Tasks of each user in AD? Is it something in the Exchange console that I am missing? forgot to send you the link (-: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=635BE792-D8AD-49E3-ADA4-E2422C0AB424&displaylang=en oz -- Best regards, Good Luck Oz Ozugurlu __________...

problem while starting "Microsoft Exchange Information Store" service
Hi, I am facing some problem with starting "Microsoft Exchange Information Store" service. Did a fresh exchange server installation and after reboot this service was not running. I tried running this service manually but getting error as "Could not start Microsoft Exchange Information Store service on Local Computer Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion" In the event Application logs i am getting some warnings and error related to 1. The MAD Monitoring thread was unable to read its configuration from the DS, error ...

New check format
I modified a copy of current check report, and trying to use this new format when I print a check. However, GP system didn't pick up the new format. What should I do to make them recognize each other? Thank you so much, Sophie Sophie, If you modified an existing check layout, you want to make sure to give users access to the modified check via Advanced Security or Security, depending on what your company uses. If the reports.dic is local and more than one user needs to use the modified check, you'll need to make sure each local reports.dic gets the modified check. Hope thi...

Exporting existing info from outlook 2003 to exchange server
This must be an easy thing to do or it is not possible. I'm hoping that what I am about to describe is easy and I'm just missing something ? We got exchange server to share calendars and inbox information. I set up exchange server - no problem. I have Outlook 2003 on one machine and have outlook 2002 on other. The Outlook 2003 machine has a ton of data and a calendar that goes out almost another year with appointments. I am able to delegate and allow the 2002 Outlook user to share a calendar and inbox on the exchange server - albeit ... the calendar and inbox are empty. I was feeli...

CRM 1.2 SBS 2003 Can not install exchange email router
Logged on as domain admin throughout. Installed CRM successfully, followed install instructions, did not install to local host installed web to a hostheader of "companyweb" port 80. during Exchange email router setup I get an error when specifying CRM server and web - "one or more os the MS CRM servers you listed is invalid or you do not have administrator priveleges on that server...." server name: sbssrb01 web http://companyweb If I go into IIS can not open CRM web get - http Error 403 - Forbidden: Access is denied. All services are on 1 server "sbssrv01&qu...

open a new instance of excel for each file ? (Vista / Seven)
Hi people, How under Vista & Win7 can we open a new instance of excel for each file ? thx a lot people. ...

Exchange 2000 not sending email
FYI Windows 2000 Server 5.00.2195 Service Pack 3 (Fresh install) Exchange 5.5 (Fresh Install) Exchange Enterprise Server 2000 (upgrade version) Note : Exchange 5.5 was installed and immediately upgraded to 2000. It was not configured etc. Cannot send emails ... internal users can send/receive to/from each other .. emails can be retrieved from net ... users cannot send out. Some other info. Queues hold messages and never go .. always come back approx 48hrs later failure ... All queues based on remote delivery never "GO" Always bounced back ISP says the mx records 'look good...

Exchange Send as question
Good Day, I have a problem that perhaps somebody out there can help me with. We are running an Exchange Server 2003 with SP1 on a Windows 2003 with SP1 server. I have a user named Anne who is the Admin for two people Aaron and Liz. A few months back Anne wanted rights to send email as Aaron so she can just send email as him with out the On Behalf showing up in the email. I went to class after that and I asked the question on how can I do it. They said that I should just give her full rights to Aaron mailbox. So she already had full rights so I added the from option to her Outlook ...

Question About NNTP in Exchange 2003?
Hi, I am wondering if the NNTP in Exchange 2003 is flexable at all in pulling NNTP new service from normal news group servers without having to the high rated coporate fees? I have an accounts with Usenetserver.com which allows me to pull 2.5Gigs per day up to 6 connections at once. I don't want to attempt till I know for certain if it will work or not, the last night I tried this on Exchange 2000 I couldn't get rid of all the news group names which filled up my public folders. :( Regards, Andrew Ezbidz Auctions ...

RPC over HTTP Advanced Server w/ Advanced Server & Exchange 2k3
Is is possible to implement RPC without installing Advanced Server 2003? I'm still using Server 2000 but have just upgraded my exchange to 2003. Thanx Requirements to use RPC over HTTP To use RPC over HTTP, your computers must meet the following requirements. Server requirements Your computer must be running Microsoft Windows Server 2003. You must install Windows Server 2003 on the computers that are running Exchange Server 2003. RPC over HTTP requires Windows Server 2003 and Exchange Server 2003. RPC over HTTP also requires Windows Server 2003 in a Global Catalog role. Client requ...

GAL
Hi Folks: We have a new install of Exchange 2007 running on a single box using W2k3 Std. x64. The Exchange 2007 is our Hub, Client Access, and Mailbox server. No other exchange servers are in the organization. I have 400 contact cards that are in an Active Directory OU called "External Contacts". I've run the OAB generator (setting the logging level to Expert using the Shell). The OAB Generates without error. However, none of the External Contacts are showing up. It would appear that the GAL is not picking up on these contacts. So even though the OAB Generator has run,...

email cannot store in exchange 2003 server
i'm using exchange 2003 server and outlook 2003 (pop3) as client computer, i tick the box to keep email in server when use outlook 2003 to receive email, but I cannot find any mail in server afterwards, anybody know why? thanks!!! JY Try this: Create and configure the "Message Size Limit" registry entry, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK. 2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeWEB\OWA 3. Right-click OWA, click New, and then click DWORD Value. 4...

PST into Exchange 2007
Exchange -or- Exasperated What should have been the name? We are a Novell Netware shop and thinking about going to Windows. As we have all Novell servers and using NetMail as well for our mail use. This means all our users are using pop accounts with the mail being stored locally in PST files. I see many many many many many complaints about getting PST files into Exchange 2007. I see where MS has even removed what vehicle they had before for doing this, by making ExMerge not work for Exchange 2007. I will not even consider going to Exchange and Windows without this being addressed. I am...

Opinion Poll in Exchange
Hi Is there any provision in Exchange server 2003 to conduct an opinion Poll ? Thanks Regards Mustafa Using Outlook, you can use Voting Buttons. In a new message - Options - check Use Voting Buttons. Select the canned voting buttons (Yes/No, etc.) or type your own options. -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT www.zenprise.com blog: www.suneja.com/blog ----------------------------------------- "Mohammed Mustafa" <mohammed.mustafa@kharafinational.com> wrote in message news:%234j6fTL8FHA.1248@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > Hi > > Is there any provision in Exchange server 200...

All the options in File> New are greyed out.
I cannot open or insert an AutoCad file in Visio Pro What version is the AutoCAD file? Visio only supports r12 and earlier. There is a product called DWG-2-DWG from Amethyst that can be used to save a lter DWG file to earlier ones. "BradD" <BradD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:47BF9E8E-13BD-4BCA-B296-22550F1815C3@microsoft.com... >I cannot open or insert an AutoCad file in Visio Pro ...

Windows update has failed in exchange 2003 Front-end server
Hello, I have been trying windows updates on exchange server but has failed with error message below: Updates were unable to be successfully installed The following update wre not installed: Security Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB917734) Security Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB914389) Security Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB917344) Security Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB918439) Security Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB911280) Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer for Windows Server 2003 (KB916281) Do you guy how to resolve those problems? Thank you There s...