Backup service authentication question

Hello,

I have a fairly small Exchange 2003 installation.  My HQ site has a single
Exchange 2k3 BE server.  The HQ site is connected to 3 other remote sites
via a mesh network.  Each of those sites has a local Exchange 2k3 BE server.

I use BackupExec 11d for my backups.  I recently noticed that if my Exchange
server in the HQ site is unavailable, the Exchange backups in the remote
sites fail in connecting to the resource.  It appears like an authentication
issue.  When the main site comes back on line, backups can run again without
issue.

Each site has at least one 2k3 domain controller as well as a local
BackupExec media server.  AD sites and services is properly setup and all
authentication occurs locally without traversing the WAN.

Can someone please explain this authentication "scenario" to me and if there
is a way to configure it to prevent remote site backup issues when the HQ
site is unvailable.

Thanks!
Troy

Do you have a GC in each remote site?

Oliver

0
o.moazzeziNO (822)
3/1/2007 12:46:55 AM
On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 19:05:56 -0500, "Troy Bruder"
<troy_bruder@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I have a fairly small Exchange 2003 installation.  My HQ site has a single
>Exchange 2k3 BE server.  The HQ site is connected to 3 other remote sites
>via a mesh network.  Each of those sites has a local Exchange 2k3 BE server.
>
>I use BackupExec 11d for my backups.  I recently noticed that if my Exchange
>server in the HQ site is unavailable, the Exchange backups in the remote
>sites fail in connecting to the resource.

Which resource?

> It appears like an authentication
>issue.  When the main site comes back on line, backups can run again without
>issue.

When the Exchange server is unavailable? What causes that?

>Each site has at least one 2k3 domain controller as well as a local
>BackupExec media server.  AD sites and services is properly setup and all
>authentication occurs locally without traversing the WAN.
>
>Can someone please explain this authentication "scenario" to me and if there
>is a way to configure it to prevent remote site backup issues when the HQ
>site is unvailable.
>
>Thanks!
>Troy

Do the backup servers share anything in common?
0
adavid (8731)
3/1/2007 1:19:28 AM
I sure do.

"Oliver Moazzezi" <o.moazzeziNO@SPAMfreenet.co.uk> wrote in message
> Do you have a GC in each remote site?
>
> Oliver

Service Activities
We would like Appointments/Service Activities to show up in Outlook Web Access for our tech's so they can check for new appointments/service activities throughout the day. The problem as I understand it is, if they have their laptops with them, there is no way for Outlook to get updates from CRM (short of VPN) and so OWA wouldn't be current. Does anyone know of a way whereby our Dispatcher could schedule a service call or appointment and it would show up in OWA even though their laptops/CRM Outlook clients were disconnected from the network? Thanks, Neil ...

Best replicas and the Best Service and Guarnatee to Back up Our Watches
Best replicas and the Best Service and Guarnatee to Back up Our Watches REPLICA WATCHES: http://www.precisionreplicas.com We offer you a World of Luxury at very affordable prices and you can rest easy about your satisfaction of quality and service. Now, with just a few simple steps, you can own something that will make you feel and look great! You can go to that business meeting, sales conference, or cocktail party wearing a beautiful watch and be sure to catch people's attention. The way you act, dress and present yourself will always be looked upon by others. By choosing from our selec...

Usage Question
Hi, Not sure if this is the proper arena for this post, but.... Have a usage / functional question regarding Outlook, suspect this is a common problem with many... Here is the scenario: 1. Send an email to someone, do NOT copy the email to myself so it just goes in my sent mail. Here are two problems that arise out of this function: 1. If I am awaiting for a response / need a response to that email what is the BEST way to re-tickle myself if in fact a response to that email is not received? At this time I remember manually in some form a flag, task or just plain old memory. 2. Once ...

Date question 01-14-10
Can anyone help with this function: =IF[Date Parts Ordered Completed]+ [Date Part Completed]+[Date Purchasing Completed],not blank,=Date The goal is that is all three fields have a date in them, then put in today's date in the final field. If one of the dates is missing, then the final date is blank. The only problem is if I open up that form I do not want it to change the date to today. I want it to stay the date of the actual completion. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, P-Chu -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com Try this -- Completion_...

School question
True or Faled The Table Template is used to automate data entry in a table. We don't typically answer school questions in these newsgroups, but even if we were going to, we generally like the question to be complete and make sense. -Scott "deborah Camp" <deborahCamp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E79CEB83-12AC-4B88-8146-5ACED58279A2@microsoft.com... > True or Faled The Table Template is used to automate data entry in a > table. Scott M. wrote: > > "deborah Camp" <deborahCamp@discussions.microsoft.com> w...

OWA Question #10
Hello, we're running Exchange 2003 and I have the following situation. Several employees in our company decided to start a different branch. Instead of creating a separate domain we just created a new account in AD with a different domain suffix. So let's say they used to have account@companyA.com. But now they have account@companyB.com. They've been able to access email via Outlook just fine but when accessing it via OWA, they are unsuccessful. We've tried logging them in with both companyA.com and companyB.com domains in the login screen. companyA.com just retur...

continous form question
Hi, I have a 'continous form' which gets its data from a table. Im using a form for ease of use by the operator and data is displayed in text boxes. My form has 6 columns and thousands of rows - so many records in the table. (its pretty much like an excel spreadsheet). However, on my form, i have a text box and i want the text box to change to eg VBred, if the time on the current record matches the time on the next record. (obvousley time is one of the pieces of data and displayed as hh:mm) As my form is a continous form, if i add my 'colour' text box to ...

Excel Question: How to Delete All Blank Rows from a worksheet?
Hi, I'm brand new, and that is my question. I just spent 2 hour laboriously mousing along deleting row by row, every other row thinkin there's gotta be a better way. (I could've done it of course if the were adjacent, but they were interspersed with my good data). I'm little behind the times: agile with keystrokes but less so with mous [think I was quicker in Lotus DOS! (actually "TWIN")]. But I do play mean piano -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Check out: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/deleting.htm#DeleteBlankRows "DaveThePianoGuy >...

File Conversion Question
backup.pst Outlook 2003 version Can this be converted to be restored into Outlook 2002? What other possible solutions could be employed? Thank you. denise.ciaralli@bell.ca <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > backup.pst Outlook 2003 version > > Can this be converted to be restored into Outlook 2002? Only by using Outlook 2003 to create a 2002-format PST and then copying or exporting the data to the 2002-format PST. -- Brian Tillman Thank you! >-----Original Message----- >denise.ciaralli@bell.ca <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > >...

Updating MS Office 98 for Mac to newer MS Office version & other questions
Hi! I have a Mac iBook with a Power PC G3 Processor, Disk Cache: 4096k, Virtual Memory 129 MB, Built-In Memory 128 MB, Machine Speed 600MHz (so it says in the system profiler...I don't really know what all this means and if someone has an easy explanation, I'd appreciate it). Though it came with OSX, I have been running it on OS 9.2 because I purchased Microsoft Office 98 for Mac (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) back in 1999 for my last Mac (a desktop), so I loaded it onto this iBook when I got it. My question is, can I qualify for an update of MS Office? From browsing the web I noticed ther...

Service Pack installtion order?
I'm going to be installing Windows 2003 SP1 and Exchange 2003 SP1 (on the same server) Which one should I install first? Also if Windows 2003 SP1 was installed after Exchange 2003 SP1 should the Exchange SP be reinstalled? (Just curious, haven't done it yet)? I don't think it makes much difference. Windows 2000 and 2003 were designed to handle dll conflicts ect that Windows Nt was not very good at. "Todd" <todd@nospamit.net> wrote in message news:OlvVM3gQFHA.2876@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > I'm going to be installing Windows 2003 SP1 and Exchange 2...

Restoring Business Portal 4.0 and SharePoint Services 3.0
We are in the middle of trying to restore Business Portal 4.0 and SharePoint Services 3.0 from one environment to another( Dev to TEST). This includes GP data as well. The Business Portal Dev server points to a GP dev server and the I am wondering if anyone else does this? I think we have it pretty much solved. But there a couple things still not working quite right. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks Scott, Thanks for using the newsgroups. What you're doing is quite common. Customers often set up Business Portal in a test environment and verify prior to going live. Int...

General SOA question
As I was reading SOA Manifiesto, one line got my attention "SOA can be realized through a variety of technologies and standards." as of now, only way I can think of implementing bussiness service at this time which is decoupled and scalable is though web services. This gives cross platform/scalable/maintainable. Is there any other way we can implement services which has the same things? Thanks, I just started working with SOA, and the way I understand it (which is not very thorough at that) is that SOA is basically web services taken to the next level of interoperability (a...

Public Folder Question #4
Is there a way to enumerate all folders and posts (including attachment labels where applicable) and redirect to a text file or CSV in a similar fashion that the DOS tree /F /A command would work? Thanks! ...

Profile question...
One of the small networks I manage had a Win2k DC that crashed. We replaced it with a 2008 SBS & since most of the clients were XP, I was able to join computers to the new domain & copy the profiles from the old location to the new location. That was until I got to the Vista laptop. On this computer, the profile shows as 'Unknown' & the 'copy to' option is grayed out. I am currently copying the contents of the C:\Users\username folder to the C:\Users\user.newdomain folder. Will this be all I need? Is there an easier way? Also, under system properties>u...

database question / feedback needed (GP8
Hello Everybody. We sold one of our companies, and the new owners are moving off Great Plains. They are transferring/rebuilding data in their new software on their own. For historical (GP) data, they have purchased some software to perform queries, and have requested I give them the data. I am planning to send a backup of the SQL Company dbase. They would not have a GP client, and would not be performing transactions - so I believe they really just want to access the various history tables. I prefer not to send the Dynamics dbase if I don't have to (passwords, etc). I guess my ques...

Miss Internet Mail Service
Hi, I'm just install Exchange 5.5 on a NT 4.0 PDC using BackOffice Server 4.5. It seems that it did not install IMS. Is there a download or any other suggestions? Thanks. You have to create it via Exch admin prog\File\New Other. Ernest wrote: > Hi, > I'm just install Exchange 5.5 on a NT 4.0 PDC using > BackOffice Server 4.5. It seems that it did not install > IMS. Is there a download or any other suggestions? > Thanks. -- Help fight spam - designate sending servers for your domain. http://spf.pobox.com ...

Cell Reference question
This is probably a simple question, but I have never seen it before. I have been looking at some spredsheets sent by some co-workers, trying to figure out their structure etc... and I have seen some cell references where the reference starts with an =+'sheetname!e2 The + (plus sign) struck me as odd, I can't recall seeing that before. Is there some significance to it? Thanks Tom Believe it's a "legacy" behaviour for die-hard Lotus converts <g> The "+" is not necessary .. -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- Please respond in thread xdemechanik <at>yahoo<dot&g...

Custom Formatting numbers question
I have a spreadsheet with lot of millions numbers floating around. When I make graphs out of it, there's too much zeros. I don't want to divide all the numbers per 1 million. Is there a way to custom format those numbers with a mask that would take care of that problem for me ? i.e. 7 456 890.98$ would be represented with 7,457 M$ tia Double-click the numbers on your chart. Hit the Scale tab. From the Display units drop-down, choose Millions. ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "Junkyard Engineer" <jevandenbroucke@hotmail.com> wrote in messag...

An Interesting Question: How to Have Mutliple Variable Input
Greetings! I would like to define a user-function that takes a range (or Yes/No values) as input, and returns a 1 if any of the values is yes. I'm something like thinking... FUNCTION YorN (choices) yorn=0 counter=1 to length(choices) yorn=yorn.OR.index(choices(counter)="YES") Next counter End Function I know the syntax is wrong -- can someone help me out? Thanks.../Randy Hi try =--(COUNTIF(A1:A100,"yes")>0) without using VBA at all -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Randy Numbers" <ran@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:4Hk1d.3...

"No indexers" on creating "New Shared Services Provider "
Hi to all, I've this problem, I what to create the new and first "Shared Services Provider", but on "Index Server" section I don't find any Index Server (in combo-box). What can I do? Where am I wrong? Bye Dario Concilio Make sure you configured and started the Search services. -- Daniel A. Galant Imagine what we could be... if we could just imagine. "Dario Concilio MCP" <dario.concilio@hotmail.it> wrote in message news:uhcKStDzKHA.5040@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Hi to all, > I've this problem, I what to creat...

Selective backup
Canadian payroll is treated as a Project in GP's. In the good old days we could do a selective backup of only the files in the Project folder. Now, it seems, its all or nothing (GP's 7.5 on Sql). Is there a way to backup/restore only Project, or other module's, files? Thanks I believe Winthrop Development (www.winthropdc.com) has a tool that enables you to back up a portion of a database. "noyb" wrote: > Canadian payroll is treated as a Project in GP's. In the good old days > we could do a selective backup of only the files in the Project folder. > ...

Here's a dandy question regarding queues!
Hello everyone, I've setup some workflow for the Task entity, such that when it gets assigned to a user, that user gets an email notifying they have been assigned a new Task. What I would like to do is to include in the subject line the name of the queue of where it came from. Is this possible? How? ...

Newbish question re. Out of Office Assistant sequence
Hi all, I'm the sort-of administrator in the office (I know enough to get by, but I'm far from an expert). My employer in our very small company wants to start using the Out of Office Assistant to reply to external as well as internal addresses, which I think I've figured out how to do. I'm concerned about spam, though. We have some very good Trend Micro spam blocking software that has blocked 99.9% of all the spam we've gotten in the last six months. I'm not sure how the sequence works, though. Does the Trend Micro spam blocker have a chance to "swat&quo...

Off-Line file question
Outlook 2003 running on XP SP2 I've enabled my pst files to be synchronised Off-line - what I can't fathom out is where I point Outlook on my laptop to, to enable it to use the Off-line pst when not connected to the network. I'm probably missing something very simple here, but can someone enlighten me? Thanks PST-files? OST-files are being used to cache the Exchange mailbox. Could you tell us a little more about your setup like account types being used and where you store all your data files? -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Prop...