Backup Exec VSS error 9 - retryable error but backup fails! No help form MS or Symantec support

I have tried to remedy this using Symantec and MS docs to no avail.
Where can I get a fix for the following? No event errors logged on the
server either, Help!

AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\Server\C:". Advanced Open File
Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
Snapshot provider error (0xE000FED1): A failure occurred querying the
Writer status.
Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.
Writer Name: Exchange Server, Writer ID:
{76FE1AC4-15F7-4BCD-987E-8E1ACB462FB7}, Last error: The VSS Writer
failed, but the operation can be retried (0x800423f3), State: Failed
during freeze operation (9). Consult your Microsoft documentation for
details. Check the Windows Event Viewer for corresponding application
or system errors.
AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\Server\Microsoft Information Store
\First Storage Group". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft
Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
Snapshot provider error (0xE000FED1): A failure occurred querying the
Writer status.

Any help would be appreciated - Thanks!!!!

0
rickdemps (3)

Did you check with Symantec?

<rickdemps@msn.com> wrote in message
>I have tried to remedy this using Symantec and MS docs to no avail.
> Where can I get a fix for the following? No event errors logged on the
> server either, Help!
>
> AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\Server\C:". Advanced Open File
> Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
> Snapshot provider error (0xE000FED1): A failure occurred querying the
> Writer status.
> Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.
> Writer Name: Exchange Server, Writer ID:
> {76FE1AC4-15F7-4BCD-987E-8E1ACB462FB7}, Last error: The VSS Writer
> failed, but the operation can be retried (0x800423f3), State: Failed
> during freeze operation (9). Consult your Microsoft documentation for
> details. Check the Windows Event Viewer for corresponding application
> or system errors.
> AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\Server\Microsoft Information Store
> \First Storage Group". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft
> Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
> Snapshot provider error (0xE000FED1): A failure occurred querying the
> Writer status.
>
> Any help would be appreciated - Thanks!!!!

0
John
3/12/2007 1:19:28 PM
On Mar 12, 7:19 am, "John Fullbright [MVP]"
<fjohn@donotspamnetappdotcom> wrote:
> Did you check with Symantec?
>
> http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/278212.htm
>
> <rickde...@msn.com> wrote in message

> >I have tried to remedy this using Symantec and MS docs to no avail.
> > Where can I get a fix for the following? No event errors logged on the
> > server either, Help!
>
> > AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\Server\C:". Advanced Open File
> > Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
> > Snapshot providererror(0xE000FED1): A failure occurred querying the
> > Writer status.
> > Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.
> > Writer Name: Exchange Server, Writer ID:
> > {76FE1AC4-15F7-4BCD-987E-8E1ACB462FB7}, Lasterror: TheVSSWriter
> > failed, but the operation can be retried (0x800423f3), State: Failed
> > during freeze operation (9). Consult your Microsoft documentation for
> > details. Check the Windows Event Viewer for corresponding application
> > or system errors.
> > AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\Server\Microsoft Information Store
> > \First Storage Group". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft
> > Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
> > Snapshot providererror(0xE000FED1): A failure occurred querying the
> > Writer status.
>
> > Any help would be appreciated - Thanks!!!!- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the reply...

Yes and no help there either. Short of torpedoing the server I'm
stuck. There is reference to 2003 SP2 which will fix a lot of VSS
functionality issues but other than that, I have a frustrated customer

0
rickdemps (3)
3/14/2007 12:35:54 PM
On the MS side I would apply the latest VSS updates.  Netapp's writer is
implemented in hardware, but we still recommend customers apply Windows 2003
SP1 and the following hotfixes:

a.. 898790
a.. 902837
a.. 908249
a.. 912063
a.. 913648
a.. 922772
a.. 923424
a.. 923801

Even though you don't use our VSS writer, I would still apply the patches in
that they are common to anyone using VSS and not specific to Netapp.  I
would still query the status of the writer as in the Symantec article also,
howerver there could still be issues with the way symantec interfaces with
VSS.  At least, by doing this, you'll be able to provide more detailed
information to Symantec and MS support.

John

> On Mar 12, 7:19 am, "John Fullbright [MVP]"
> <fjohn@donotspamnetappdotcom> wrote:
>> Did you check with Symantec?
>>
>> http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/278212.htm
>>
>> <rickde...@msn.com> wrote in message

>> >I have tried to remedy this using Symantec and MS docs to no avail.
>> > Where can I get a fix for the following? No event errors logged on the
>> > server either, Help!
>>
>> > AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\Server\C:". Advanced Open File
>> > Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
>> > Snapshot providererror(0xE000FED1): A failure occurred querying the
>> > Writer status.
>> > Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.
>> > Writer Name: Exchange Server, Writer ID:
>> > {76FE1AC4-15F7-4BCD-987E-8E1ACB462FB7}, Lasterror: TheVSSWriter
>> > failed, but the operation can be retried (0x800423f3), State: Failed
>> > during freeze operation (9). Consult your Microsoft documentation for
>> > details. Check the Windows Event Viewer for corresponding application
>> > or system errors.
>> > AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\Server\Microsoft Information Store
>> > \First Storage Group". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft
>> > Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
>> > Snapshot providererror(0xE000FED1): A failure occurred querying the
>> > Writer status.
>>
>> > Any help would be appreciated - Thanks!!!!- Hide quoted text -

> Thanks for the reply...
>
> Yes and no help there either. Short of torpedoing the server I'm
> stuck. There is reference to 2003 SP2 which will fix a lot of VSS
> functionality issues but other than that, I have a frustrated customer

0
John

Combo Box on Form
I have a combo box on my form created from the Combo Box wizard in design view. It worked great this morning. Now it has reverted to the old problems I had in the beginning. The combo box for some reason will pull and change existing records. I then went and cleared the table and now it won't let me input any information. I know there has to be a simple fix to this.... what am i doing wrong?? Do you have any code attached to the combo box events? Take a look at the event properties. -- Dorian "Give someone a fish and they eat for a day; teach someone to fish and th...

MS Money 95 data files

Inserting form values into a table

VC++ is not supporting Platform SDK!
Dear sir/madam, I am working on winamp general purpose pluggin "gen_whatsplaying " project I downloaded the project "gen_whatsplaying" available on www.schaffrath.net .. I am working on it, but getting many errors during compilation and building the application successfully. I am using MS VC++ 6.0 compiler to compile and build it. I also downloaded and installed the speech SDK 5.1 from MS site and Winamp SDK's from Winamp's web site on my PC to remove the errors. But still I am getting many compilation and linking errors during the build, and therefore unable to ...

Password Issue with MS Money 2003

XCH Error 3092, OAB replication

Linker Error after upgrade from VC7.1

Help with income/expenses

help with simple maths in excel

Find prev record on other requeried form
Using access 2003. I have a main form for name and address info. A subform shows limited info on client placement. Click a command button on the main form and user opens another form for full screen entry of placement data. That form opens showing the client selected on the initial main form. When the full screen placement form closes, it requeries the original main form with the placement subform to show the added placement. It goes to the first record in the table though. It does not show the original client whose placement was just added. How do I set the mai...

Need help with Auto Filter

error 0x800cc0f

Help with a simple database
I am attempting to use Excel to develop a simple database for my office. The database basically lists a variety of orders purchased from various vendors, and my goal is to categorize and sort each vendor seperately. For example: GC Group 4/24/03 7831.1 $1,000.00 Alpha 1/20/03 7003.1 $2,000.00 Chandler 5/6/03 7050.1 $345.50 Is what the main chart looks like. Now, what I'm trying to accomplish is, suppose I added Tomsen 4/20/03 7873.1 $200.00 to the very bottom, Excel would automatically create a new tab (or even worksheet, if possible) tit...

Calculating age in a label or text box on a form
Hello All, I have a text box for birthdate for a user to enter the birthdate and I want to the age for the user to be automatically calcuated and displayed in another label called "Age." What formula can I use? Missy ...

HELP! remote data not accessible msg