backup exch from remote machine: which is best plan

I have a small domain with 2 servers:

1)    PDC and file server with tape backup

2)    Exchange server, no tape device

Which is the best plan to ensure a safe backup of exchange?

a)    Install exchange admin tools on the PDC and include information store
in the tape backup

b)    Get the exchange server to backup to a file, and then get the PDC to
include that file when it does its tape backup.

c)    Some other plan I haven't thought of yet

Regards

roga

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 11:35:28 -0000, "roga"
<{news2005}REMOVE_THIS_UPPERCASE_2_REPLY@roga.co.uk> wrote:

>I have a small domain with 2 servers:
>
>1)    PDC and file server with tape backup
>
>2)    Exchange server, no tape device
>
>Which is the best plan to ensure a safe backup of exchange?
>
>a)    Install exchange admin tools on the PDC and include information store
>in the tape backup

>b)    Get the exchange server to backup to a file, and then get the PDC to
>include that file when it does its tape backup.

>c)    Some other plan I haven't thought of yet
>
>Regards
>
>roga

 Do a full online backup of the store. How you do that is up to you.
0
adavid (8731)
1/14/2006 3:15:08 PM
I'd prefer to buy another tape for the exchange server, backing up
files over the LAN connection would  be painfully slow.

JP <juragan2006@r-e-m-o-v-e-t-h-i-s.eim.ae> wrote:

>I'd prefer to buy another tape for the exchange server, backing up
>files over the LAN connection would  be painfully slow.

Gigabit ethernet is pretty fast. :)

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

1) Get an agent (if there is one) for the software that can backup remote
servers. Many, like Backup Exec have an agent on the remote server. There's
an added cost.

2) You can direct the NTBACKUP job to the server with the tape drive
(\\servername\sharename) or schedule a simple batch file that will copy the
backup file to the other server

--
Regards,
Hank Arnold

"roga" <{news2005}REMOVE_THIS_UPPERCASE_2_REPLY@roga.co.uk> wrote in message
>I have a small domain with 2 servers:
>
> 1)    PDC and file server with tape backup
>
> 2)    Exchange server, no tape device
>
> Which is the best plan to ensure a safe backup of exchange?
>
> a)    Install exchange admin tools on the PDC and include information
> store in the tape backup
>
> b)    Get the exchange server to backup to a file, and then get the PDC to
> include that file when it does its tape backup.
>
> c)    Some other plan I haven't thought of yet
>
> Regards
>
> roga

0
rasilon1 (689)
1/16/2006 9:41:25 AM
I don't know if you can spend any money but I have just started using
Symantec's LiveState advanced server.  I have two PDCs and an exchange
server.  It does a full image of the server and allows you to recover
from a disaster very quickly.  Its not the most mature server but it
certainly takes a lot of complexity out of backups.

What Big Banks does Money Work Best With
Hey guys... I'm trying to pick a bank to setup an account with so that I can seemlessly pay bills and automatically download transactions through Microsoft Money. I know some banks offer this feature and others require you to manually go online and download your transactions into money (What I currently have to do with Washington Mutual and have grown very tired of). From my research it looks like Wells Fargo and B of A offer the service but I'm want to make sure people are really happy with the experience. Anybody really like the bank they are using and find it integrates w...

Why are my backup options being ignored
I've got Money Plus Premium. In the backup settings I have it set to save only the last 7 backups. I've got 40 backup files. Why is that??? -- Rod In microsoft.public.money, Rod wrote: >I've got Money Plus Premium. In the backup settings I have it set to save >only the last 7 backups. > >I've got 40 backup files. Why is that??? There is more than one possibility. 1. For a given root name, as you back up, Money will write one new file, and delete at *most* one file that fits the pattern. The pattern is that the root name matches, and that has an undersco...

Ex 2003 IS backup, using NTBackup 5.0
On Win2K SP4, I've upgraded from Ex 2000 ==> Ex 2003. I use NTBackup to back up the IS. The NTBackup is version 5.0. Backup proceeds normally; on differentials I can see NTBackup counting log files, etc. However, I tested a restore, and when I catalogued the *.bkf file, NTBackup says "No files were found". So I have an error-free backup, from which (apparently) I cannot restore. Is the Ex 2000 ==> Ex 2003 upgrade supposed to upgrade NTBackup as well, to a version that can handle restoring Ex 2003 IS? Does anyone have an insight into why NTBackup doesn't want to ...

Newbie
Hi all We are currently implementing Great Plains software for accounting and project costing. Currently we have an Access database which handles most of our project related data and also (critically) controls document flow. What options do we have to link the Great Plains data back to the Access database? Is it possible to write an Access mdb table out of Great Plains/SQL that our existing database can link to (I would prefer to do this in some ways rather than establishing a live link). Any comments appreciated Phil Basically, you can connect to the GP data using an ODBC connect...

E5.5@w2k backup on non-exchange w2k
Hello, Experts! Ntbackup utility at non-exchange w2k server doesnt propose to backup exchange5.5 running at another w2k server. (both are AD controllers) What is the solution to make remote online (tape) backup? I'd like to know about MS tools/ways only, not third- party's. :(( Can't find in kb an article like "Perform Exchange NT Backup on Workstation" :)) Thanks in advance Yuriy "Yuriy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hello, Experts! > >Ntbackup utility at non-exchange w2k server doesnt propose >to backup exchange5.5 r...

How do I learn how to sync Outlook on 2 networked machines?
I've got Outlook 2k running on two W2k machines, and I want the in/out/sent boxes to match so I can see which mail I've read, replied to, etc from either computer. How do I do this? Thx. -Dave Do you have your own Mail Server or does your email come from an ISP's Mail Server? If you have your own, What Email Server are you connecting to? You can do this a few ways. >-----Original Message----- >I've got Outlook 2k running on two W2k machines, and I want the in/out/sent >boxes to match so I can see which mail I've read, replied to, etc from >either ...

Off-Topic: Newsgroup Readers/Viewers
I know this is off-topic, but I couldn't find a newsgroup that was appropriate for this post (like a lounge for MVP's or something)...so I apologize in advance. I currently use Outlook Express (or Outlook Newsreader : "C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe" /outnews) for viewing newsgroups. While its a nice program, it does have a few shortcomings, not the least of which is its difficulty in truly tracking and reporting responses to posts made by the user. I figured since a lot of MVP's and others on these newsgroups tend to respond to a lot of newsgroup posts, an...

Remote Access via public IP
Hi all, I have hjust installed my CRM server with exchange on an XP domnain with AD and it seem to work fine locally. I have two NICs in the server one local one public and am trying to get CRM usage over the internet via the public IP address. I get as far as being asked for log in credentials, but then the IE session just disappears when I enter the correct login details. Any Clues? Thanks James You need to eithre disable your popup blocker or configure i to allow the CRM server. Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM ---------------------------------------- ------------------------------...

backup exchange server #4
We are moving our single domain win2k3 AD exchange 2k3 server from one site to another on our network. I am wanting to construct another exchange server and do a restore of the message store to it to use as a fallback. I'm aware that you need to duplicate the software setup of the servers and match the exchange organization and storage group names between the original and backup server. I'm also aware of the need to setup exchange with the /disasterrecovery switch on the backup server. What is the accepted order of operations in this scenario. Thanks http://www.msexchange.org/ s...

Best Quality Rock salt
Dear Sir, We are best Traders of Rock Salt In Pakistan. We offers Best Quality Product and MinimumPrices Guarantee. eg.Rock salt Us$60/MT Thanks and Regards. Amir Ikram Zenith Impex 13-Cheema Plaza,Rahwali,Gujranwala.Pakistan Tel:+92-431-863557 E-Mail:rocks_pk@hotmail.com ...

Backup Exchange 2007 configuration (!) before installing SP2
Hello there, I am about to install Exchange Server 2007 SP2 on Exchange Server 2007 running on Windows 2008 (all German). Since I am not trained on Exchange 2007 (just a lot of selfstudy), I hesitate a bit. So I'd like to ask some questions. Perhaps you can help? 1 - How can I save the configuration of that Exchange Server? I have invested quite some time to get all needed features running on that server (one server for client acces, transport, edge, OWA). So far, beside my notes, there seems not to be something like saving the complete server configuration into a con...

Two Outlooks on one machine
Hi Is it possible to run two instances of Outlook on a same machine at same time. (Outlook is connected to exchange). The reason I need this is because some tracking options do not work if I configure Outlook woth primary and add-on mailbox in the add-on mailbox. Also all email is kept in Sent of the first account, no matter if it is sent from the primary or add-on account. Thanks D No "Damir" <dtejic@isb.bj.edu.cn> wrote in message news:u9Mq$9qREHA.3708@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Hi > > Is it possible to run two instances of Outlook on a same machine at same &g...

Best Access to ASP.NET converster
Does anybody know what would the best Microsoft Access to ASP.NET converter is? Thank you, V. -- Desktop Solutions for Small Companies http://www.micromango.com Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com I'm not aware of any of them being any good. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "vanleurth" <u13147@uwe> wrote in message news:72f5c6880730b@uwe... > Does anybody know what would the best Microsoft Access to ASP.NET > converter > is? > > Thank you, > > V. > > -- > Desktop Solution...

Backup MS-Exch2003
Hi, i got some troubles trying to make the back up of Exch. It doesn't run under standard win2003 backup tool because of some active processes while, shadows copy is active, tech info seem to allow me to do it easily. Which is the best way to run? I'd prefer to use MS-Tools. Tnx in advance for ant further answer! GTRZ Where in the Windows 2003 backup are you trying to do the backup? Are you actually going under Microsoft Exchange in the backup and selecting a Storage Group to backup, or are you trying to backup files from the hard disk. An Exchange backup needs to be done under Mi...

Public Folder Backup & Restore
Hi! We deployed Exchange 2003 on Windows 2003 AD. We have one Exchange 2003 Server for Mailbox and Public Folder. The Public Folder have many sub folder (sub sub folder...etc). Is there any possiblity to backup & restore the Public Folder on Public Folder level, NOT on Public Folder Storage level? If yes, how can we realize that? Thanks in advance. Cicek ...

Backup program question
My critical files are on my XP computer. For many years I have used 3rd party backup programs to backup files to an external drive. I also keep a portable drive in our safe deposit box. With all of the 3rd party backup utilities available on the market today, I'm concerned that if I ever had to perform a disaster recovery I might have trouble obtaining a copy of the software I use. My question is - what is wrong with using the universal XP backup program? I guess I really don't know why I opted against it in the first place. It's readily available and appears ...

Can NOT install on new Win 7 machine
This is a new one for me. But for 2 days I have been trying to get Windows Live Mail to install on a new Win 7 computer. I just keep getting weird error messages. I have installed this programs many times on many computers, and never had this happen before...I get errors like these: hr:0x80040005 another time I got hr:0x80070003 . I get something similar every time. I have tried using the Microsoft Installer Uninstall cleanup Utility I have turned OFF the firewall when installing I have tried selecting only the mail or other things...it doesn't seem to matter... HELP!!! T ...

restoring backup after reformatting c:
I wiped out my c: drive and reformatted it. I have reinstalled Money but it will not let me use the backup disks I created. It gives me an error message "My Money Backup d1.mbf is corrupded or not a Money backup file." I don't think it's corrupted - but it may be becasue I previously used the 99 version of Money and later upgraded to this version. When it looks for backup files, the file extensios it looks for do not seem to match ".mbf" Can anyone help??? Thank you! Have you tried double clicking on the backup file instead of trying to open it using Mon...

exch 2003 Pre SP2 backup
We will do a full backup of exchange server before attempting upgrade. I notice in our regular backups the acual edb and stm files are not backup up. should we unmount these from exchange? Also, should we unmount the mailbox store during the upgrade? kind Regards Carl Carl- No you should not unmount the store. As far as backing up the files - you don't backup the actual files off the disk but rather you use the Exchange backup APIs which do some under the hood work as well. -- Thanks, Brian Desmond Windows Server MVP - Directory Services www.briandesmond.com "MSNews&...

Remote access Outlook 2000 and Exchange Server
I have set up off-line folders and two profiles, home and office. My question is - when I am working from home, I want to dial up via my modem and access the office Exchange server and download new messages into the same 'in box' folder as all my office mail is held. Or is eac profile completely separate with separate in box folders ? And if it is possible to use the same folder for office and home, how do I do it? Many thanks Colin ...

Re: Recovery from EX2000 to EX2003 Server on a new machine
Hi, i have been having serious problems with my current Exchange 2000 machine where it continously fails to load the Information store and other services at startup. i have got it up and running now but if i reboot it will fail again and only starts 1 in 10 reboots What i would like to do it create another box with Windows 2003 and Exchange 2003 and move all the stores,logs and all to this new server. Is there any procedures that need to be followed to do this? and are there any complications with the AD please advise me on the correct was to do this or any documentation there is available...

OT: managing file fragmentation on external USB backup drive (SBS2003)
Just wondering how others are managing file fragmentation on their external USB backup drives (SBS 2003)? I have two WD 500GB drives that i rotate weekly (each backup is around 55GB currently) but periodically the server will "freeze" during a backup (fans on, but no response at all) and requires a hard reboot to get going again. The first time it did it, i had no idea what caused it, but on subsequent occurrences I narrowed it down to the external hard drive itself - after the reboot, simply trying to access the drive via Windows Explorer on the server caused the se...

best free antivirus program
My ISP provides Mc Afee for free and I have tried iobit. Is there a free program that is better then the others? Thank you. --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: news@netfront.net --- "thewiz" <jwelles339@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:i2a0dl$fdp$1@adenine.netfront.net... > My ISP provides Mc Afee for free and I have tried iobit. > Is there a free program that is better then the others? You probably will find varying answers to your question, but I use Avast satisfactorily. Some say AVG is as good or better, but no McAfee for me. If y...

Backup PST file to External Hard Drive
Every night I backup my entire "documents and settings" folder and sub folders to an external hard drive using a backup program called BounceBack Pro, which backs up in native format (i.e. no compression scheme is used). The PST file for my Outlook 2003 does not back up. What do I have to do to make a copy on the external hard drive? I tried installing the "backup PST" file from Microsoft, but it will not let me make a backup. When I try to make the backup I get the error message: "Cannot copy Outlook: The process cannot access the file because another process has ...

Best way to sync Outlook files between desktop and laptop
I have a desktop PC on a home network that acts as a server. I have two mobiles, one laptop I use sometime but a TabletPC that i use frequently. As I said this main desktop PC is in a sense acting as a server and everything runs Windows XP. I have already posted elsewhere (Tablet PC Newsgroup) about this since I will also be syncing the My Documents folder. Anyway, seems that SyncToy 1.2 is the program I've come up with for doing that. My question, I think this could be used for Outlook but some people are suggesting SynchPST as the best and it was suggested I post here. Is this the b...