Backing up public folders

Exchange 2003 server.  Our backup user can back up public folder ONLY if it
can READ the folder items.  This is a problem if the owner of a folder
restricts the rights of the folder. Through ESM I have verified that the back
up user has all rights allowed on the public folders (except send as and
receive as).  This backup user is the same one we use to backup the mailboxes
and it has full exchange system admin rights.  What am I missing?

0
Loucie (2)

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 10:41:03 -0700, Loucie
<Loucie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Exchange 2003 server.  Our backup user can back up public folder ONLY if it
>can READ the folder items.  This is a problem if the owner of a folder
>restricts the rights of the folder. Through ESM I have verified that the back
>up user has all rights allowed on the public folders (except send as and
>receive as).  This backup user is the same one we use to backup the mailboxes
>and it has full exchange system admin rights.  What am I missing?

Sounds like you're doing Bricks Level Backups. Native Windows backups
doesn't do this type of backups so you need to follow the backup
vendors instructions on what rights to assign to the backup account.
If the folder owner doesn't want to play ball then it's his tough luck
and you tell him that you're not doing an item level backup of his
folders. He will still have the entire PF tree backed up using the
normal Exchange backup, but will lose out on an item level restore.
Either way, it's not a problem for you to lose sleep over.

0
mark7219 (5666)