Backing up Exchange 2003 with Veritas Backup Exec 9.1

Looking for what some other admins might be doing regarding backing up
Exchange 2003.  I've been using Veritas backup Exec 9.1, but have been
getting errors during the nightly backup that Veritas is unable to backup
because the process is being backed up by another process.

Does Exchange 2003 do a backup of itself at night?  Does anyone know the
time so I can schedule the backup after it?

Thanks

Do you have the Exchange agent? You'll need it. Don't try to back up
Exchange from the file-system level....you need the agent to do an online
backup of the Exchange stores and to purge the committed logs. Check with
Veritas support for help.

Steve Aschettino wrote:
> Looking for what some other admins might be doing regarding backing up
> Exchange 2003.  I've been using Veritas backup Exec 9.1, but have been
> getting errors during the nightly backup that Veritas is unable to
> backup because the process is being backed up by another process.
>
> Does Exchange 2003 do a backup of itself at night?  Does anyone know
> the time so I can schedule the backup after it?
>
> Thanks

0
lanwench (7567)
2/25/2004 3:12:04 PM
I have the Exchange agent.  If you dont have it, you wouldn't be able to
back up the Info store (i.e not doing the backup at file system level).

I can run a backup of the DB store during the day... I just did one... No
errors at all... My backup at night bombs out though with the "another
process is performing a backup" .. I cant find any documentation to see if
Exchange does a DB backup of its own at night that might interfere with the
remote backup....

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> Do you have the Exchange agent? You'll need it. Don't try to back up
> Exchange from the file-system level....you need the agent to do an online
> backup of the Exchange stores and to purge the committed logs. Check with
> Veritas support for help.
>
> Steve Aschettino wrote:
> > Looking for what some other admins might be doing regarding backing up
> > Exchange 2003.  I've been using Veritas backup Exec 9.1, but have been
> > getting errors during the nightly backup that Veritas is unable to
> > backup because the process is being backed up by another process.
> >
> > Does Exchange 2003 do a backup of itself at night?  Does anyone know
> > the time so I can schedule the backup after it?
> >
> > Thanks

OK - you didn't mention it, so it wasn't clear what kind of backup you were
trying to run. No, Exchange doesn't do its own backups - check your task
scheduler in control panel to see if there is an NTBackup job someone has
set to run?

Steve Aschettino wrote:
> I have the Exchange agent.  If you dont have it, you wouldn't be able
> to back up the Info store (i.e not doing the backup at file system
> level).
>
> I can run a backup of the DB store during the day... I just did
> one... No errors at all... My backup at night bombs out though with
> the "another process is performing a backup" .. I cant find any
> documentation to see if Exchange does a DB backup of its own at night
> that might interfere with the remote backup....
>

> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> message news:OXqrVK7%23DHA.1456@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> Do you have the Exchange agent? You'll need it. Don't try to back up
>> Exchange from the file-system level....you need the agent to do an
>> online backup of the Exchange stores and to purge the committed
>> logs. Check with Veritas support for help.
>>
>> Steve Aschettino wrote:
>>> Looking for what some other admins might be doing regarding backing
>>> up Exchange 2003.  I've been using Veritas backup Exec 9.1, but
>>> have been getting errors during the nightly backup that Veritas is
>>> unable to backup because the process is being backed up by another
>>> process.
>>>
>>> Does Exchange 2003 do a backup of itself at night?  Does anyone know
>>> the time so I can schedule the backup after it?
>>>
>>> Thanks

0
lanwench (7567)

Outlook 2003
When I type in a name to address an email, unless I have mailed them already and they appear on the recently used list, I then get a Check Names dialogue box and have to then search for additional names, even though the name is in the Address Book. Not sure why this is happening - I do have the Option to Suggest Names checked? Any ideas? Thanks State the steps you are using more clearly. You are talking about two completely different features here, the first is autocompletion, the second autoresolution. The latter will not prompt you for a search unless you have entered an invali...

Hey Microsoft! Exchange 2003 Question
Can an Exchange administrator modify the Level1 and Level2 attachment lists? I don't want my Outlook users to have to save a certain type of file to the disk first. If so how? Thanks This may help: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup/admin.htm -- Mark Fugatt Exchange MVP http://www.exchangetrainer.com http://www.msexchange.org "Jeff" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0be901c3db86$5e56e700$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Can an Exchange administrator modify the Level1 and > Level2 attachment lists? > I don't want my Outlook users to ha...

Resizing to Scale in Visio 2003
Maybe a simple question - First you create a technical drawing to a certain scale on 11"x17" diagramming paper. Each inch of paper is a 10x10 square so 100 small squares make up one square inch. There are 17 squares horizontally and 11 squares vertically. 1. First Question: can this drawing be scanned for use by Visio 2003 and in what format? 2. Second Question: can Visio Resize this drawing image to a much larger size but Preserve the Scale that was used? If so I would then print this new Resized drawing on a drafting type print device to produce a drawing plan. Thank y...

Publisher 2003, inserting information into labels
I have created a label template in Publisher 2003. There are six labels per page. The only item that will change on each label will be the serial number. I have tried to use the catelog merge to get the respective serial numbers on each of the labels. Unfortunately, that has not worked. Instead of getting six different serial numbers on six different labels per page, I get one serial number on six different labels on one page. Is there a way to get different six different serial numbers on six different labels on one page? You may have to run this through twice or setup your names ...

Exchange 2003 SP2 and IE 7
Hi, Since installing IE 7 on the Exchange back-end server, I can't get access to any information in the public folders from Outlook clients. I can open the Public folders, but there is nothing showing in there... But if I add new stuff, the new item shows up in that PF. If I try the some public folder that are not replicated on this server, I can see the content... This is not a permission problem, since that has not changed, and has been verified... Any one knows what is going on ??? Thanks !!! ...

Server backup
Hi, I have a question how to organize backup server for Greate Plains or Greate Plains Basic. I have 2 servers. There is GPB on server1. How to copy and synchronize data that I can easily switch from one server to another, if for example something happened with server1. I have 2 DNS connections on each workstation: GPB (on server1) and GPB Backup (on server2) I've tried to create replication (standard SQL Server feature) from server1 to server2, but have several problems: when something failed on server1 on trigger procedures, I can't recreate it, because replication has created additi...

Exchange 2000 and Unix
Hi, We have a Exchange server which is connected to the internet via which we send/receive e-mail to the external world. We have a couple of Unix boxes (Solaris) which we want setup to connect to the Exchange server for sending e-mails to the Internet. However everytime an e-mail is send we get an error about relaying. Due to security reasons the Exchange admin cannot setup relaying. Is there another way to set this up, say via Exchange connector ? Please let me know. Thanks, Subho The Exchange Admin "could" configure relaying so specific machines can relay messages via yo...

mailboxes are getting larger on Exchange Server
Dear all, I ve a problem in my exchange server 2003. * The mailboxes are getting larger and although i m delvering the mails to PST files *Many mailboxes shows that they r above the limit "mailbox disabled" .... i m using a quata for the mailboxes. and by browsing the mailbox i dont c any thing in the mail box from the user's side ... the only solution is to expand the its quota then it returns to normale stauts very strange!! Note: I m taking backup every day "the normal backup size was 17 GB after that its 65 GB" *It only took one day to get to the 65...

Post Exchange SP2 install outgoing messages not being delivered
I have just finished installing SP1 for Windows 2003 Server and SP2 for Exchange 2003, since the install mail being sent to specific servers i.e aol.com, yahoo.com, and a few others is not flowing, it is being queued and not being delivered as before. I need to find a fix for this issue fast, Any and all help with this would be greatly appreciated. OS: Windows 2003 Server Standard w/ SP1 and all updates Exchange Server 2003 with SP2 Thanks in advance. That usually indicates that the server cannot resolve the target domains in DNS. I have seen similar problems caused by the virus scann...

Outlook 2003 with Business Contact Manager #5
I have XP Pro, Office 2003 Pro with Business Contact Manager. I am using MSN for dial up ISP but have other POP3 email accounts. 1-Can not get Outlook to send message out to mail server. SMTP. Error says it found the server, but there was no response from the server. Please verify that the port and SSL information is correct. I sent the error to the mail admin and he checked all setting on the server and says there is not problem on his end. I have never had to set SSL settings and port settings for email. 2-Just started Outlook 2003 and received the following error: There was a probl...

cant see pictures in publisher 2003
Inserting pictures work ok , then i cant see them , clicking on the area of picture the outline grabs are there but no visible picture. TOOLS > GRAPHIC MANAGER shows the thumbprint , thats all , What am i going wrong >-----Original Message----- >Inserting pictures work ok , then i cant see them , clicking on the area of >picture the outline grabs are there but no visible picture. TOOLS > GRAPHIC >MANAGER shows the thumbprint , thats all , What am i going wrong >. > If you can click on the image and see outline grabs. Do so and then choose Order from the Arrange ...

Missing Information after server migration to Exch 2003
I'm consulting at a company and they asked me to look at two problems they're having. However I do not know much about Exchange. This all happened before I worked there. As it was explained to me, they had Exchange 2000 running on a server. They got a new server with Exchange 2003. Everything was moved over to the new server. The old server was 'shut down'. Actually, the server is still up (a DC) but Exchange was un-installed. Problem 1: They had delegates set up for their calendars. They're all gone. Nobody can access anybody else information. Is there a way other ...

2003 excel
I would like to change the cell color if there is a "r" found in it. All the cells are in the same colum and there are also numbers in the cells with the "r". Can anyone help ? Assume data in col A Select the col, then apply conditional formatting using Formula Is: =ISNUMBER(SEARCH("r",A1)) Format to taste > OK out Replace SEARCH with FIND if you need it to be case sensitive -- Max Singapore http://savefile.com/projects/236895 Downloads:16,400 Files:356 Subscribers:53 xdemechanik --- "Dave" wrote: > I would like to change the cell color if ...

Product list in CRM v.1.2
Hi all, i have another question concerning the product list, can i attach an excle sheet that contains my products instead of loging each product one by one as i have over 25,000 products to log? -- Regards, Marwa I'm afraid not. This is a major pain point for a lot of people and I do not kno of any 3rd party add-ons that have addressed it either. -- Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM "marwa" <marwa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C062CF1E-EEF8-43B4-AC31-F299BF707252@microsoft.com... Hi all, i have another question concerning the product list, can ...

GP 9.0 Password Issues
After you upgrade to 9.0, the first time a user logs in, the user is forced to change his password. GP encrypts the password (it encrypts all user passwords other than sa). After this stupid encryption, none of the other programs such as SQL Query Analyzer, Crystal Reports, Access etc can recognize this password. Unlike in 8.0, an user who was able to login to Crystal before can't login now with GP credentials. Has anyone experienced this ? What is the resolution to this if any. Thanks Girish It should have encrypted it in 8.0 as well. AFAIK, it's done that the entire time ...

Want COM Server
Hi all from Spain, I usually create a coClass that is instantiated many times, every time you call "coCreateInstance" the aplication class and the coClass constructors are called, so a new object is being created. I wander if it's posible to create a "singleton" COM Object, so that the object is not created every time y call for the interface...the reason is that I need an object that maintain in memory some data only 1 time (because the amount of memory needed). do you know if that could be done? regards, Alberto. IrvingWashington wrote: > Hi all from Spain,...

How can I forward an email as attachment in 2003
Hi Could anybody please tell me how to send emails as attachments in Outlook 2003? Thank you, Paul -- Paulobrien29 Make a new email and then use Insert Item to insert the email you want to send. Regards Judy Gleeson MVP Outlook www.judygleeson.com www.deskdoctors.com Are you sick of bad email practice? Get a copy of my paper "Implementing Email Policy" from the Desk Doctors website. "Paulobrien29" <Paulobrien29.4b477ff@outlookbanter.com> wrote in message news:Paulobrien29.4b477ff@outlookbanter.com... > > Hi > > Could anybody please tell m...

Help with
I am currently in the process of migrating exchange 2000 to exchange 2003 on new hardware. I have transfered the RUS role, offline address book role and replicated the public folders ect. and now am beginning to move maiboxes. I noticed 3 very repetive errors in the application event log however. I was wondering if someone could tell me whether these messages are somthing I should be concerned with. See them below. So far I have no user complaints about outlook. Thanks. Event ID: 9320 Source MSExchangeSA Type Warning Description OALGen could not generate full details for some en...

Installed Exch2007 into existing 2003 site, cant send mail
I installed an Exchange 2007 server into our domain. This server is meant to be a test server. It created a different routing group for itself. It seemed to propogate all the correct settings for the connectors and our DMZ smart hosts, yet, on the test account I created, I cannot send email to either internal users on Exchange 2003 or to the Internet. -- "Technology also allows us to get very angry and abusive with people who can't punch us in the nose at that very minute." Scott Adams ...

Disabling Unicode Messaging
Apparently Exchange 2003 uses Unicode Messaging which previous versions of Exch did not. Now that we have migrated all of our users from Exch 2000 to 2003 their OST files will not work. We have no need for Unicode messaging so rather than rebuilding all of our User's Outlook Profile we would rather simply "disable" Unicode Messaging on the Exch Server. Does anyone have any idea how to do that? Can it be done once the server is in use and has 150+ mailboxes on it Thanks for any input Michael ...

Migration from Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2003
Hi all My Scenario Two Windows 2000 SP4 Servers with Exchange 2000. It`s an active/active cluster with two exchange instances. I must migrate just one instance to a new cluster with Windows 2003 Sp1 with Exchange 2003 I must keep the four servers ( two win2k exch 2000 clustered , and two win2k3 with exch2003 clustered) Anyone Could Help Me? Thanks a lot This might get you started: http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Migrating-Exchange2000-Exchange-2003-Hardware.html As a general rule MS do not recommend Active Active clusters for Exchange. You may want to reconsider keeping the exist...

Backup service authentication question
Hello, I have a fairly small Exchange 2003 installation. My HQ site has a single Exchange 2k3 BE server. The HQ site is connected to 3 other remote sites via a mesh network. Each of those sites has a local Exchange 2k3 BE server. I use BackupExec 11d for my backups. I recently noticed that if my Exchange server in the HQ site is unavailable, the Exchange backups in the remote sites fail in connecting to the resource. It appears like an authentication issue. When the main site comes back on line, backups can run again without issue. Each site has at least one 2k3 domain controlle...

VC 7.1: Preview DC
With Visual C++ MFC 7.1 when doing a print preview the Attribute HDC and the Output HDC of the CDC differ. Whenever a pen, brush or font is selected into this CDC via SelectObject an assert is triggered as the two HDC's do not match. This was never a problem using Visual C++ MFC 6.0. Is there any way to get around this or am I missing something blindlingly obvious ? Thanks, Brett Hi Brett, For the conveniece to investigate this issue, would you please give us some code snippet to illustrate this problem? Thanks for your understanding! Best regards, Gary Chang Microsoft Online...

Exchange 5.5 message.txt
Hi, I have problem. I got email with error message: This message uses a character set that is not supported by the Internet Service. To view the original message content, open the attached message. If the text doesn't display correctly, save the attachment to disk, and then open it using a viewer that can display the original character set. <<message.txt>> Anyone knows the solution? ...

Outlook 2003 hangs for Brad
Hi There, Brad in "down under" in Australia here. Can anyone please help with an answer why my outlook 2003 has been working fine up until a week ago and for the past 7 days hangs after a few emails comes in. Sends me a "not responding" message at the toolbar area. Have to restart and then it reloads the same emails and hangs again. Have contacted the ISP and deleted all incoming emails... problem is OK for a day after this is done but returns the next day when new emails come in. I'm desperate... hope someone out there can shed a little light... Many thanks be...