Automatically Save Attachments ?

Hello...

Is it possible to set up Exchange to automatically save (and then remove) 
attachments?  We have a support email account that customers will use to send 
files and we'd like to be able to automatically (as the emails are received 
on the server, not waiting for a user to open Outlook) save the attachment to 
a network folder.

Is this possible?
thanks for any help
 - will
0
DW (78)
8/19/2005 9:25:22 PM
exchange.admin 57650 articles. 2 followers. Follow

4 Replies
465 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 51

Not natively.  You would need to look at a 3rd party archiving/compliance 
product to do this for you.  There are LOTs of choices out there.

-- 
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP
MessageOne


"dw" <dw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:FE57F536-D3E1-4B51-9FA3-75E2441DFEF6@microsoft.com...
> Hello...
>
> Is it possible to set up Exchange to automatically save (and then remove)
> attachments?  We have a support email account that customers will use to 
> send
> files and we'd like to be able to automatically (as the emails are 
> received
> on the server, not waiting for a user to open Outlook) save the attachment 
> to
> a network folder.
>
> Is this possible?
> thanks for any help
> - will 


0
Ben
8/19/2005 9:56:51 PM
Thanks for the info.  I have looked at a few and they did not work at 
all....so I was hoping that this was a feature in Exchange or Outlook.  Guess 
I'll need to increase my search radius...

 - will

"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:

> Not natively.  You would need to look at a 3rd party archiving/compliance 
> product to do this for you.  There are LOTs of choices out there.
> 
> -- 
> Ben Winzenz
> Exchange MVP
> MessageOne
> 
> 
> "dw" <dw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:FE57F536-D3E1-4B51-9FA3-75E2441DFEF6@microsoft.com...
> > Hello...
> >
> > Is it possible to set up Exchange to automatically save (and then remove)
> > attachments?  We have a support email account that customers will use to 
> > send
> > files and we'd like to be able to automatically (as the emails are 
> > received
> > on the server, not waiting for a user to open Outlook) save the attachment 
> > to
> > a network folder.
> >
> > Is this possible?
> > thanks for any help
> > - will 
> 
> 
> 
0
DW (78)
8/19/2005 10:43:01 PM
There are solutions from Symantec (formerly Veritas/KVS) and Quest that 
should do what you want.  There's another product I've seen called 
Aftermail.  All of these should do what you are looking to do.  They extract 
attachments from messages and place them in another central storage 
location, or they can also extract the entire message.  Those messages are 
then just "links" for all intents and purposes, but if you click on it in 
Outlook. it will fetch the message from the "repository" and display the 
contents.

-- 
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP
MessageOne


"dw" <dw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:745715A9-1496-420F-BF96-74072092F36F@microsoft.com...
> Thanks for the info.  I have looked at a few and they did not work at
> all....so I was hoping that this was a feature in Exchange or Outlook. 
> Guess
> I'll need to increase my search radius...
>
> - will
>
> "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Not natively.  You would need to look at a 3rd party archiving/compliance
>> product to do this for you.  There are LOTs of choices out there.
>>
>> -- 
>> Ben Winzenz
>> Exchange MVP
>> MessageOne
>>
>>
>> "dw" <dw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:FE57F536-D3E1-4B51-9FA3-75E2441DFEF6@microsoft.com...
>> > Hello...
>> >
>> > Is it possible to set up Exchange to automatically save (and then 
>> > remove)
>> > attachments?  We have a support email account that customers will use 
>> > to
>> > send
>> > files and we'd like to be able to automatically (as the emails are
>> > received
>> > on the server, not waiting for a user to open Outlook) save the 
>> > attachment
>> > to
>> > a network folder.
>> >
>> > Is this possible?
>> > thanks for any help
>> > - will
>>
>>
>> 


0
Ben
8/20/2005 3:46:56 PM
Thanks for the additional information and help.  I appreciate it.

 - will

"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:

> There are solutions from Symantec (formerly Veritas/KVS) and Quest that 
> should do what you want.  There's another product I've seen called 
> Aftermail.  All of these should do what you are looking to do.  They extract 
> attachments from messages and place them in another central storage 
> location, or they can also extract the entire message.  Those messages are 
> then just "links" for all intents and purposes, but if you click on it in 
> Outlook. it will fetch the message from the "repository" and display the 
> contents.
> 
> -- 
> Ben Winzenz
> Exchange MVP
> MessageOne
> 
> 
> "dw" <dw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:745715A9-1496-420F-BF96-74072092F36F@microsoft.com...
> > Thanks for the info.  I have looked at a few and they did not work at
> > all....so I was hoping that this was a feature in Exchange or Outlook. 
> > Guess
> > I'll need to increase my search radius...
> >
> > - will
> >
> > "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Not natively.  You would need to look at a 3rd party archiving/compliance
> >> product to do this for you.  There are LOTs of choices out there.
> >>
> >> -- 
> >> Ben Winzenz
> >> Exchange MVP
> >> MessageOne
> >>
> >>
> >> "dw" <dw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news:FE57F536-D3E1-4B51-9FA3-75E2441DFEF6@microsoft.com...
> >> > Hello...
> >> >
> >> > Is it possible to set up Exchange to automatically save (and then 
> >> > remove)
> >> > attachments?  We have a support email account that customers will use 
> >> > to
> >> > send
> >> > files and we'd like to be able to automatically (as the emails are
> >> > received
> >> > on the server, not waiting for a user to open Outlook) save the 
> >> > attachment
> >> > to
> >> > a network folder.
> >> >
> >> > Is this possible?
> >> > thanks for any help
> >> > - will
> >>
> >>
> >> 
> 
> 
> 
0
DW (78)
8/20/2005 5:25:02 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

VBA for sending mail and saving it in a database
HI All, I would really appreciate if any once can assist me: My requirement is: A word document(which is actually a form contains name, country, age, phone number) should have a submit button that when clicked should be attached in a new mail in outlook 2007. This document should also contain an button which when clicked should stored all the information in a database ( preferred MS access) by extracting the content from the document. Your help is highly appreciated. Thanks, puntertips For sending the document, here is the help from the Visual Basic Help file for ...

Winmail.dat Attachments
I keep changing each of my email addresses to "let Outlook Decide" in order to get rid of the "winmail.dat" attachments - but 2 months later - they all have been switched back again. I have hundreds of contacts. Its always the same ones that keep switching back to outlook rich text - and then these people complain to me that they can't read my mail. I have selected "Imap" as the preferred Mail format in Outlook options... How can I rid my machine of this winmail.dat demon once and for all? I wish there was a master switch - never send winmail.dat.......

saving worksheets as individual files
I have a workbook with over 250 worksheets. I would like to separate the workbook into individual worksheets. What I mean is that I would each worksheet to be its own excel file, with only itself in the excel sheet. I need some help doing this, and in the past way possible. Thank you! Right click each sheet tab and select move or copy, then check copy and new book. Or you could run a macro that will do it for you and maybe name the workbook after the sheet name? -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please, for everyone's benefit keep the discussion in the newsgroup/forum) ...

Changing default "save as" format
The default format for Save As on my Outlook (Office 2007, XP) is HTML. I don't know why this would be useful for anyone, but it isn't for me, and it creates lots of extra files. I'd like the default to be MSG format but the Help system doesn't show a way to change this default. (All it mentions is the option to save in Unicode format.) Any solution to this? -- Christopher Brewster Lockheed Martin, Eagan MN Message posted via http://www.officekb.com "christophercbrewster via OfficeKB.com" <u3143@uwe> wrote in message news:a8e1a3451d20a@uwe... ...

Windows 7 automatic clicks
I have moved to Win 7 (64b). Now when I click on a button on a form I have to quickly move the cursor off the button or it will automatically execute another click. How do I prevent this? Thank you Answered in your post 4 hours later. ...

Outlook XP
While tring to save an attachment the computer locks up. All programs are still running, but you can't click on anything. Then more than a couple of minute go by and everything start to respond. Thanks. Step #1 Uninstall Norton Anti-virus temporarily ====================================== 1. Uninstall Norton Anti-virus, reboot computer. 2. Test to see if the issue still occurs. Step #2 Outlook Safe Mode ====================== If the issue still occurs, the problem may occur if the Outlook's configuration information is damaged. 1. Close Outlook. 2. "Start" - "...

Outlook 2003 Automatic Rules
Hi, Windows XP Outlook 2003 Small Business Server 2000. The automatic rules do not catch incoming email messages, with or without the exchange cache mode on. The rules are setup to only check the header for a certain word (domain) and then move to another folder. If I run them manually they work fine. There has recently been a reinstallation of the SBS server. How can I clear this up - multiple users have the same problem. tia alan ...

File time attachment
Hi, When saving an file attachment using Outlook 2000 to harddisk it gets a modified time stamp (2 hours later then the systemtime). The timezone is correct and same as the timezone (and time) of the mailserver. How can i resolve this problem? Marcel. ...

No Setting for Saving Payments as Drafts
Was going to send a credit card pmt (epay). Money told me if I click submit it will be sent immediately. If I don't want to send it immediately and save it in drafts go to Settings>Bill Settings and select Save Payment as Draft (or something to that effect). I see no setting there for this. I'm using Money 2006. Thanks, James I'm not sure what your question is. Indeed, your message poses no question. What you want to do can only be done by scheduling a bill. If you enter it in the register, it's gone. "JamesJ" <jjy@adelphia_Darwin.net> wrote in messag...

Automatic Auto-Reply?
Hello, We are using Small Business Server 2003 Standard edition and MS Exchange, plus Outlook 2003 on 6 client machines. Can Outlook be configured to start up the 'Auto-Reply' service when the user shuts Outlook down at the end of the business day? We run a business that operates 24-hours per day but some customers send emails to staff 'out of hours' and get annoyed when they don't get a reply! Is there any downside to using 'Auto-Reply'? For example, replying to any spam that gets past the 'Junk Mail' filter. Thanks in advance kinell kinell wrote: ...

Cells WON'T stop refreshing automatically
I have a workbook with many worksheets and links that I need to publish externally with links locked so that users won't get the "The workbook you opened contains automatic links..." message. I have gone into <Tools> <Options> <Calculation>, unchecked the <Update Remote References> checkbox, and saved the workbook; however, each time I reopen the saved workbook, the <Update Remote References> checkbox has been rechecked by some mischevious gremlin, and I invariably get the "The workbook you opened contains automatic links..." mess...

Automatic "welcome mail"
It's possible to generate a "welcome email" for new mailbox enabled users, automatically?! No native facility to do that. You can use a script or a WMI event subscription that detect creation of new mailbox-enabled user and sends welcome mail. -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT www.zenprise.com blog: www.suneja.com/blog ----------------------------------------- "MMC" <ryuken_26@yahoo.it> wrote in message news:eO2arBH5FHA.2816@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > It's possible to generate a "welcome email" for new mailbox enabled users, > automatically?...

Selective Saving per Email
Is there an option that can be set so that Outlook 'asks' you each time you are about to send an email as to whether you want to retain a copy or not? I know how to change the setting to 'save' a copy of all the emain that are sent, but then you have to keep going back and deleting and purging the ones you don't want to keep. I also know you can cc yourself and receive a copy and then keep in a personal folder, but is there a setting that will automatically prompt as to whether you do or don't want to keep a copy in a 'sent' folder upon sending (works t...

Forwarded emails with large attachments tracked in CRM via Outlook
I have a question about attachments in emails that are tracked in Microsoft CRM 4.0. When we use the Outlook Client for CRM and click Track in CRM or Set Regarding on the toolbar, what happens to the attachments as users forward the emails in Outlook to multiple people? Does CRM store a single reference to the attachment, or are there multiple copies made? Thanks in advance! Daniel Johnson, Jr. Cincinnati, Ohio On Jun 4, 12:49=A0am, "Daniel Johnson, Jr." <danimal0...@gmail.com> wrote: > I have a question about attachments in emails that are tracked in > Microsoft CRM ...

cannot open excel files attached to outlook
My system will not open any excel file attached to outlook. The system will open a new excel page (Blank) instead. The same trouble happens if the file is loacted on my desktop. Files on the desktop can be opened if selected from the "File Open" icon....? Sometimes one of these works for a similar problem in Windows Explorer: Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it) --- or --- Close Excel and Windows Start Button|Run excel /unregserver then Windows Start Button|Run excel /regserver The /unregserver & /regserver stuff resets the windows registry to e...

Tracking "Date Last Saved"
I am trying to show on the page (footer would be ok) the date that a spreadsheet was last modified. The footer only allows input of the current date and time. I want something that shows when someone made changes to a spreadsheet, not just viewed it. Basically need the info in the "Properties" section to show up on the page. Any ideas? Thanks!! Hi if you want to insert the last save date in your header/footer insert the following code in your workbook module Private Sub Workbook_BeforePrint(Cancel As Boolean) Dim wkSht As Worksheet For Each wkSht In Me.Worksheets ...

Adding a date onto a contact note automatically
I wonder if anyone can help me with what ought to be a simple question. I use Outlook as my contact management system. I add notes about what I have discussed orders etc to my contacts notes in the main contact panel. It would be useful if the date were automatically added each time I add a note. Ideally the notes would then end up looking something like this. The dates are in UK format. 2/3/5 Called Joe to discuss orders.Call back again in a week. 10/3/5 Discussed orders agreed price structure he will call in 2 days with delivery schedule. 12/3/5 Joe called with order no and deliver...

DOCUMENT NOT SAVED #8
I have about 50 workbooks that are all assigned to different people. All the books are located on a network drive. The employees have their workbook open all day and they save it periodically. Everyonce in awhile someone will get the message document cannot be saved. I looked into it a little bit and there is a message that the document cannot be found. We think this is happening when the network goes down, but then it comes right back up. Anybody know how I can fix this, or at least tell them how they can save their work. We also found out that if they close the book and then ju...

save to tif or jpg looks terrible
I have a business card in publisher 2003 but overnight printsonly takes jpg or tif . The card looks great in publisher but if I save it as either a tiff or jpg the resolution is terrible. It looks like it was shrunken down to an icon and blown back up. thanks, Gary I solved my own problem using google. For the record this tells how... http://www.psprint.com/helpcenter/preparing_artwork_files/applications_guidelines/publisher/index.asp#savedocument -- Regards, Gary Blakely Dean Blakely & Associates www.deanblakely.com "GaryDean" <gdeanblakely@newsgroup.nospam> wr...

Macro not saving as
The following is code that I am using for a project. I want it to save as based on a value that is in the source spreadsheet. It is supposed to open up another spreadsheet and then save it as that value in the source spreadsheet. the macro is stopping at the line where it needs to name the file, then save it. can someone help? Sub Upload() Application.EnableCancelKey = xlDisabled Sheets("Upload").Select lastRow = Range("M10000").End(xlUp).Row Range("M" & lastRow).Offset(1, 0).Select ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "END" Cal...

IE prompts for username and password when saving excel file opened in IE
Hi all, I've been having a problem, i have an IIS server, serving a bunch of excel spreadsheets and word documents. The files are for viewing only (i.e., read only). When I click on a link to download a word file it prompts me whether I want to save it or open it. If I save it it works fine. But if I open it, it opens in IE. If I try save the document locally it does it no problem. However, when I do the same thing with the excel documents, I can open them fine in IE but when I try save them locally, I get prompted for a username and password for the web server. Now I don't want that ...

Display subject lines that carry [error:] on a web page, which refreshes every x minutes automatically #2
Hello, I don't know if this is possible or not. But it is worth giving a try. I have an application that sends notification emails saying that there is an error that has occured with the application and this email contains "error:" as a constant term in the subject line, and they are all from h...@application.com. Now, What I want to do is my outlook macro or code should periodically refresh the outlook inbox look for subject line that has "error" and verify it is from h...@application.com and display this error subject line on a web page. This should happen every ...

cannot open attachments via OWA
Have a curious situation. A user is complaining of cannot open attachments via OWA. That's through our company Exchange server (Exchange 2003). Now, on the very *same* laptop she is using, she can get attachments from another company's OWA. Very strange. What is the normal cause of this issue? ...

new mails ending up in Deleted Items automatically
One of my colleges at work is experiencing a strange problem. When he receive mails some of them ends up in Deleted Items automatically. I have checked that the build in Junkmail filter is disabled and he has now rules at all that could automove anything - as far as I can see. This happens on his computer only. Any ideas? Application: Outlook 2003 SP2 / WindowsXP SP2 Connection: Exchange 2003 _and_ 2-3 POP3 accounts (receives all mail through pop3 at the moment - we all do that by the way.) /Christian ...

Recovering a blocked attachment
Is there a location on the computer that I can go to to recover a blocked attachment. The attachment has an extension of .cer which Outlook blocks by default. http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup/getexe.htm should help. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, Byron asked: | Is there a location on the computer that I can go to to | recover a blocked attachment. The attachment has a...