Audit mailboxes on exchange 2003

Hi guys,

I need to grant a permission to a user to monitor few mailboxes.

When I add a user through advanced exchange tab and give him read perm. then
connect remote mailbox in Outlook 2003 and click on the mailbox - it tells me
- unable to expand the folder.

If I assign full acess to the mailbox to a user then I'm able to open and
view e-mails etc. But I dont want a user to remove read/unread flags or be
able to delete anything from the mailbox that he's monitoring.

I needs to be on the background w/o users knowing it. How do I correctly do
it?

Is there any :snoopers: that actually allow view the whole mailstore?

Thanks!
0
HHRP (11)

It sounds like you need access to the mail store (which will give you access
across to each mailbox in the store).
Rather than add a *user*, I'd add a group.
First Create a group (named something like ExchMailboxRead) in Active
Directory users and computers.
In Exchange System Manager, expand the mail server, expand storage group,
find the mail store that you need to view mailboxes. Right Click the mail
store and choose properties, click the security tab, Add group
ExchMailboxRead and give this group the necessary rights.  (most likely Read,
Execute, read perms, list contents, open mail send queue, view information
status...)
(assigning "full" will give rights, but more than you intend.  You can mark
Full for testing, then trim down to necessary once you get this established)
Add intended user (who needs to perform the audit) to the exchmailboxread
group.
Allow the domain (s) to replicate.
Have the user with elevated rights then open outlook with the profile set up
as the user you intend to audit (viewing the contents will mark the email
read - ensure you turn off outlook's preview before launching)
Outlook can be launched by executing
"c:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\OUTLOOK.EXE" /nopreview
Nopreview switch turns OFF the preview (hence marking the mail item read...)
This is also easier because you can remove the elevated user's preferences
at any time by removing him from the group... wheras people ALWAYS hesitate
to "delete" rights from the exchange store properties...
-mike

"HHRP" wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I need to grant a permission to a user to monitor few mailboxes.
>
> When I add a user through advanced exchange tab and give him read perm. then
> connect remote mailbox in Outlook 2003 and click on the mailbox - it tells me
> - unable to expand the folder.
>
> If I assign full acess to the mailbox to a user then I'm able to open and
> view e-mails etc. But I dont want a user to remove read/unread flags or be
> able to delete anything from the mailbox that he's monitoring.
>
> I needs to be on the background w/o users knowing it. How do I correctly do
> it?
>
> Is there any :snoopers: that actually allow view the whole mailstore?
>
> Thanks!
0
Mike1154 (1216)
7/11/2006 7:15:02 PM
Thanks, Mike!

But would not it allow a member of a group to add any mailbox for remote view?
That's not what I want.

Any advice? Thanks
0
HHRP (11)
7/11/2006 7:53:02 PM
I thought that is what you were looking for:
     Is there any :snoopers: that actually allow view the whole mailstore?
This way you can monitor any mailbox in the mailstore.
Perhaps I misunderstood your question.
Were you looking for something different?
What would you like to audit?

"HHRP" wrote:

> Thanks, Mike!
>
> But would not it allow a member of a group to add any mailbox for remote view?
> That's not what I want.
>
> Any advice? Thanks
0
Mike1154 (1216)
7/11/2006 9:10:02 PM
Mike, thanks for response.
Re: monitoring whole store - Yes, that part would work for me fine. Thanks.

But how about if I only want one or two people be able to have Read only
permissions on specific mailboxes?

Is there a way of forcing outlook not to make files marked read after they
been read? /nopreview only allows you to see subjects and headers, but if you
need to read whole message then you have to check it as unread again.

Thanks!
0
HHRP (11)

Exchange 5.5 and Outlook 2003
Any PCs that had a previous version of Office that were upgraded work fine, however I can not get a proifile set up on a new PC with Outlook 2003 and Exchange 5.5. Any help is greatly appreiocated. What problems are you having? WearsAllHats wrote: > Any PCs that had a previous version of Office that were upgraded work > fine, however I can not get a proifile set up on a new PC with > Outlook 2003 and Exchange 5.5. Any help is greatly appreiocated. Hello, I am assuming that the profile creation fails at the CHECKNAME step. What error do you get? If Checkname is working, what is...

Excel 2003 Help Runtime Error
Trying to open help file on Templates and get 'Runtime Error - do you wish to debug?' Have you trying repairing or reinstalling Excel? On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 10:53:01 -0800, Weezay <Weezay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Trying to open help file on Templates and get 'Runtime Error - do you wish to >debug?' ...

Outlook over vpn finds wrong Exchange server
We have a couple users connecting over VPN to our network. There connection to our primary Exchange server drops every couple minutes. I noticed when trying to reconfigure their profiles that it couldn't find their names on the server I put in and was actually bringing up names from a different Exchange server. We do have a 2nd Exchange server which has mailbox stores on it. Its on a different domain. I don't see any errors about rpc from our primary Exchange server failing. Any idea why it would look for the 2nd exchange server even when putting in the name/ip of the primary...

OL 2003 not hiding private/confidential events
I'm having an issue where where the private and confidential calendar events on a shared calendar are not being marked as private/hidden. All the people the calendar is shared to are set as "Editor". The calendars from the 2007 clients however DO seem to be working correcty. Could this simply be an issue with 2003 -> 2007? . Submitted using http://www.outlookforums.com It could be a version issue - is Outlook 2003 fully updated? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick....

Making 2003 personal home page
In the previous version of outlook a view could be created where you could see folders (left), tasks (bottom right), calendar (top right) and today's appointments (middle). I really liked this view. Can this view be created using outlook 2003? You're probably talking about Outlook Today. that's still there in Outlook 2003. Navigate to the top folder in your folder tree and you should still be able to see it. There was no other way inherent in Outlook to create such a view so I'm assuming that's what you're looking for. Anything else would have been an add-in creat...

Mailbox missing owner
Exchange 2003... We have a mailbox which is orphaned... The user account was delete, but the mailbox remains. We have recreated the user but can not seem to get the old mailbox linked to the new user account.. Can someone point me in the right direction to doing this? Thanks! Matt you should be able to "reconnect" the mailbox to the new user...what error are you getting? "Matt Gabbard" <matt.ion@teeceeco.com> wrote in message news:QEORc.27545$n7.27283@fe37.usenetserver.com... > Exchange 2003... > > We have a mailbox which is orphaned... > > T...

Outlook 2003 opens emails in background.
Hi. I'm experiencing a problem where Outlook 2003 will start opening e-mails in the background after a while. I am not sure if this is related to other applications being started or stopped (maybe word, which is set as the e-mail editor?), but haven't noticed any direct correlations. The system is running Windows XP SP2 and is connected to Exchange. Exiting Outlook and re-opening it will reset it so that e-mails once again opens as expected--in windows that are in focus. I found a similar problem reported here, but with no replies: http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.o...

Is there a user limit for the Exchange 2003 Pop3 Connector?
Is there a user limit for the Exchange 2003 Pop3 Connector? Thanks On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 10:31:27 -0500, "john doe" <johndoe@johndoe.com> wrote: >Is there a user limit for the Exchange 2003 Pop3 Connector? > >Thanks > I would ask this in a SBS newsgroup since Exchange 2003 itself does not come with a pop connector. ...

Exchange Disk Queue
hello, Our disk queue for the drives that host my exchange database files are going off the charts and causing a lot of communication issues. This just started in the last 2 weeks. Does anyone know a way to monitor who is sending and receiving or using exchange so I can diagnose who or what is causing this? thanks Tim http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=4BDC1D6B-DE34-4F1C-AEBA-FED1256CAF9A&displaylang=en /Simon "Tim" <tim@dansko.com> wrote in message news:12vii47kadrsna9@corp.supernews.com... > hello, > > Our disk queue for the dri...

Cannot send emai to hotmail accounts from Exchange
Hi, Setup: Exchange 2003 running on Sever 2003 on private (192.168) IP Semi-dynamic IP on cable modem (only changes once or twice a year). Network connected to cable modem via Linksys router Public IP not listed in RBL lists Closed relay Not running Watchguard (I've read this can sometimes cause problems). If any of our users attempts to send a message to a hotmail.com email address, the message just disappears. The recipient does not receive the message, and the sender does not get back a failure message. I assume this is something to do with Hotmail checking our domain record to mak...

One exchange user, cant send email to another particlular user
I have a problem its is only a 1 way problem, user a cannot send mail to user b, user b can send mail to user a. both users are on the same exchange 5.5 server. This means that user b is not recognized as a valid recipient. Check the properties of user b in the Admin Program and make sure you have an e-mail address stamped there. -- Mike Manjunath Microsoft Corp. "Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for newsgroup purposes only." "This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights." "Nema J" <ne...

Outlook 2003
I've been using Outlook 2003 for years, but after miagrating to Vista, the following problem cropped up. When I try to send some emails in Outlook 2003, I get the following error message: Task 'Main-Sending' reported error(0x80070057) : 'Could not complete the operation. One or more parameter values are not valid.' (note: "Main" is my primary pop3/SMTP server). My ISP says it's Microsoft's problem, not something at the server, and they have no idea. I searched the MS website, but did not get any hits on the error. It only affects *some* of the em...

Need to recreate Exchange virtual directory
Hi Running Exchange 2003 sp2 on Windows 2003 sp1. I need to recreate the Exchange Vdir's how do i go about this? Thanks I've done this successfully a couple of times using option #2 in the following KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883380/en-us "skip" wrote: > Hi Running Exchange 2003 sp2 on Windows 2003 sp1. I need to recreate the > Exchange Vdir's how do i go about this? > > Thanks Right on! Thanks "kj2n" wrote: > I've done this successfully a couple of times using option #2 in the > following KB article: http://s...

How to convert Pegasus Mail to Outlook 2003?
I need to convert folders and messages with attachments and address books to Outlook. I want to keep all the original message dates. I've searched but can't find any utilities to do this. Anyone help? TIA, Rich Have you looked through the options Pegasus mail offers for export? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, Rich asked: | I need to convert folders and messages with attachments and address | books to Ou...

Cyclic Redundancy Error
Just bought a new box and upgraded to Office 2003. I was singing the praises of MS particularly for the updates to Outlook when all of a sudden it crashed and burned. I've recovered from the blow out but still do not know what caused it. Thus I am moving slowly to make sure it does not happen again. Here is the process, symptoms, and "what I did." The new box is a Hp pavilion 367c, P-4 2.8HT running Office 2003. Also running NAV/PFW as well as Cloudmark SpamNet. Latest versions of each. Copied outlook.pst from old computer which was running Office 2000 With some creative proble...

Exchange 2003: Deleted Mailbox Retention Policy
I want to make sure I'm clear on a situation I'm in. We are almost out of space on our Exchange DB drive. In order to free space we have been exporting disabled user's mailboxes to PST, removing Exchange atributes and purging the mailboxes from the store. We have a Deleted item retention policy set for 7 days for the items and 30 days for the mailboxes and it's set to not permanently delete these items until the store has been backed up. In order to actually gain space in the store after purging the mailboxes wouldn't I have to create another system policy that is set t...

Email Router
If the routing service was running on a seperate server than exchange, are there any scenarios that would cause the service to take down or cause issues to the exchange environment? ...

Exchange 5.5 IMS
The mailboxes within the DL are legacy and setup to autoforward to another domain. I get "host unreachable" within the IMS que. If type the FQDN to the external receipent it works fine. Does anyone have any ideas? Ive already ran isinteg & eseutil. Host unreachable indicated the IMS tried to find the host for user@abc.com but can't find the host. Run the Nslookup utility from the Exchange server and see what kind of records DNS is sending back to Exchange. A sample Nslookup can be found in the following article: 150114 XFOR: IMC Doesn't Appear to Use All Mail Exc...

junk mail Exchange 2003
I have turned on the junkmail feature in Exchange 2003 web access. The junk mail folder shows up on my desktop copy of outlook, but no mail is getting directed there. Anyone know why this would be? Thanks As far as I know, you have to have a server-side spam filter, like the new (free) Intelligent Message Filter installed on the server side for the junk mail filtering to work under Outlook Web Access. Outlook 2003 has its own junk mail filtering built in. >-----Original Message----- >I have turned on the junkmail feature in Exchange 2003 web access. The junk >mail folder show...

Excel 2003
Excel 2003 - the "X" to exit the application option is greyed out...you must use "file / exit" to exit the program. How does this get turned off and how do you turn it back on? Thanks in advance for your advice! Are using using Groupwise? If that's the problem. See this MSKB article http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;260199 Article is specific for 2000 but I think it is valid for other versions. It gives a workaround (use the file menu) and instructions as to how to remove the Groupwise add-in that is responsible for this behavior. Gord...

Slow attachment retrieval time (Exchange 5.5)
I'm having a random problems with several of my users experiencing slow retrieval time when opening attachments through Outlook 2002 sp2 (30 sec to a min). File sizes are small. Server side is Exchange 5.5 sp4 OS win2k sp4. Band width is not an issue as we have multiple T1's and DS3's connecting centers. There is no real commonality w/ 3rd party applications on users who are having issues. Used perfmon to track things like CPU , network traffic and physical disk. The only real bottle neck I see is with Read Write times being extremely high and often. Server has 851 mail accounts w...

XML not opening in Word 2003 when requested from IE 6
I built a web app that creates and saves a WordML file on disk (with a processing instruction in it for Word.Document). When this file is requested from a client machines, the client's browser automatically opens Word 2003 and views the XML in the Word application as a document, as its supposed to. However, on one machine, the XML text just opens in the IE window as straight XML text, totally ignoring the PI to treat as a Word document. Checked all the File Types for XML and DOC and they are the same one this machine as the others for the "open" and "edit" ent...

Virtual Memory Error Exchange
I had two server DELL Power Edge 2800, both have Windows Server 2003 SP1, the frist one has Exchange Server 2003 SP2 and 6 GB physical memory, the other one has SQL Server 2005 and 4 GB physical memory, I had a problem because my SQL Server was low of available memory, and I solved the problem uninstalling 2 GB physical memory from the exchange server and Installing to the SQL Server. I took this decisition because I have a third part SNMP software which I used to monitor the Memory Usage and I just used 2GB physical memory in Exchange Server and I had 4GB useless. In this moment I hav...

Outlook 2003 crash while opening "other contacts"
Hi! We have Outlook 2003 SP2 (cached mode) with Exchange 2003 SP2 in our environment. Since a few months myself and some other users are experiencing the problem, that Outlook is sometimes crashing, when we click on any contact in "other contacts" (some public folders that are added to favourites). The applications log says Faulting application outlook.exe, version 11.0.8010.0, stamp 43d16d53, faulting module emsmdb32.dll, version 11.0.8000.0, stamp 43599ef9, debug? 0, fault address 0x00091956. The fault address is always the same. I cant exactly say since when the problems occu...

Can't save messages to hard drive from Outlook 2000 with Exchange 5.5
When I try to copy emails (with attachments) to a folder on my desktop I get an error that says " An error occured while copying file" Every once in a while a file will copy but there seems no rhyme or reason to it. Files without attachments will copy fine. I can move the emails between folders in my in box but I have the same problems trying to archive the files or trying to copy them to personal folders. I have office service pack 3 installed. I CAN open the files up one by one and "save as" and they will save but that is ridiculous. Usually I see this as a...