attachments become unreadable and mail turns to winmail.dat

Hi,

Since I upgraded part of the organisation to win2k3 AD and 3 out of 6
servers tot exch2k3 I'm having problems with users using outlook2000 to send
mail with PDF-attachments.

At first send half up to three quarters of the addressees reply that the
attachment is unreadable, if you forward the message which was originally
sent to these users they can read it most of the time, sometimes a third
forward is required.

Any ideas what might be the problem. Apparently outlook Xp and Outlook 2003
don't have this problem. Furthermore, since last week some mails have their
attachments removed along the line, no remarks or errors are processed, the
mail arrives without attachments.

Regards.
David
0
David4882 (672)

"david" <david@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

					[ snip ]

>Any ideas what might be the problem.

Sending the mail in RTF is probably what's causing the problem. Try
sending it in plain text and see what happens.

The winmail.dat contains the message formatting instructions and
attachments, and it's MIME encoded in ms-tnef. Not all clients
understand that (includng Outlook Expess) and they'll either ignore
the file or display it as a line upon line of junk in the message
body.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

the format of the mails is indeed rtf.
however the attachment problem occurs on both rtf and html mails.

and this bugs me more than the winmail.dat because there i know a solution.
If I change the format at server level to plain text for a certain domain the
problem disappears.

The attachment problem is however a bit more curious and no standard
solutions are working.

regards
david

"Rich Matheisen [MVP]" wrote:

> "david" <david@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> 					[ snip ]
>
> >Any ideas what might be the problem.
>
> Sending the mail in RTF is probably what's causing the problem. Try
> sending it in plain text and see what happens.
>
> The winmail.dat contains the message formatting instructions and
> attachments, and it's MIME encoded in ms-tnef. Not all clients
> understand that (includng Outlook Expess) and they'll either ignore
> the file or display it as a line upon line of junk in the message
> body.
>

> --
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

David4882 (672)
6/16/2005 5:19:04 PM
"david" <david@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>The clients on which this happens (winmail.dat) are outlook 2000 and outlook
>Xp and outlook 2k3.
>
>the format of the mails is indeed rtf.
>however the attachment problem occurs on both rtf and html mails.
>
>and this bugs me more than the winmail.dat because there i know a solution.
>If I change the format at server level to plain text for a certain domain the
>problem disappears.

Than I'd bet that the problem is somewhere other than your Exchange
server. If the message format is plain text and the message is sent
with MIME formatting, do you have the problem still? Or does the
problem only disappear when the message is sent without MIME
formatting (IOW when you select UUEncode)?

If you send the message with MIME formatting, but only include a plain
text encoding of the message then the receiving client has no choice
but to look at the plain text body part. If you send the message with
body parts using different content-types then the client is free to
use the one it wants to -- and if it's having a problem with a
particular content-type then the only solution is not to send them
messages with body parts that use that content-type.

>The attachment problem is however a bit more curious and no standard
>solutions are working.

The Internet isn't as "standard" as everyone thinks it is.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Help with sending Mail
I am receiving the error below when trying to send mail. I can receive mail fine, but cannot send it. The POP servers are set up correctly based on the instructions. Any ideas or suggestions? Subject '[Simple_Diabetic_Recipes] BARLEY PILAF', Account: 'pop.gmail.com', Server: 'smtp.gmail.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '250 PIPELINING', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 250, Error Number: 0x800CCC7D On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 11:30:01 -0800, NCJonah <NCJonah@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am receiving the error below wh...

Mail-merge dynamic database source
I have created a mail-merge that gets its input from Excel via OLEDB. Each month it needs to get the input from a spreadsheet in a folder specific to that month. Moreover, although I create and test the merge on my pc, I distribute it to others who have a different naming convention for their folders. Once I save my merge document, the source folder is saved with it. [Although I have examined the merge document carefully, and can't find any clear text reference to the database. Does anyone know how that info is stored?] I know that if the database doesn't exist when th...

Forwarding e-mail to external account
My boss wan't his mailbox to also be forwarded to his friend . how can i do that from exchangeserver. Many thanx robel wrote: > My boss wan't his mailbox to also be forwarded to his > friend . how can i do that from exchangeserver. > > Many thanx Hi, you have to create a "contact" in AD users... This contact must be "mail-enabled" to give it the "distant e-mail" and have it to appear in the global list. Selecting the boss mailbox, you will be able to select the contact in "delivery" configuration. A check box will also let you s...

Can't send mails only recv
Everytime I try to send an email, it goes to my outbox but never leaves. I notice that if it is in italics, it will leave but if not, it wont. I have tried re-sending the mail but no luck. I use Outlook 2003 from office 2003 professional on windows XP pro. ...

How to limit size of mail
Hello, I have a NT4 server with Exchange 5.5. Is it possible to limit the size of the mail (for example 10) for the internals mails independently from outgoing mail? Thanks a lot. Mike I don't believe that this is possible. Nue "Mika´┐Żl PLOUHINEC" <mp@cerealog.fr> wrote in message news:OYVC85KMGHA.668@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Hello, > > I have a NT4 server with Exchange 5.5. Is it possible to limit the size of > the mail (for example 10) for the internals mails independently from > outgoing mail? > > Thanks a lot. > > Mike Neither do...

MS Outlook automatic mails with attachments
Hey folks, So my company does weekly reporting (or is supposed too) via emailing in an excel spreadsheet. of course, reps tend to forget come friday or saturday night, and we end up calling around monday for reports. is there someway to schedule an email to automatially send AND to attach a file from the local hard drive? Then we only have to worry about them shutting down outlook... I've seen a couple add on programs that will do that, but I figure there must be a way to do it without purchasing one of these programs / installing it on all workstations... Thanks in advance... http...

How to add e-mail disclaimer on bottom; article not clear
Exch2003 Sp1. Can you clarify in which server (SMTP Connector, or mailbox servers?) I should run cscript smtpreg.vbs /add 1 onarrival SMTPScriptingHost CDO.SS_SMTPOnArrivalSink "mail from=*@your-domain-here.com" as informed on the article below. I think it should be the SMTP connector servers, but I want to clarify. Isn't there any built-in way to do this on Exch2003 SP2 perhaps ? http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;317680#appliesto On Wed, 3 May 2006 06:45:17 -0700, "Marlon Brown" <MarlonBrown@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Ex...

Can't delete mail
Hello, I have a piece of junk mail in my Deleted Items box that I can't get rid of. When I try to delete it from the folder, I get the message that I do not have access to the account. I know this isn't true because I have deleted all of the other items. I've tried deleting the folder but have the same problem. Does anyone know how I can get rid of it? Thanks What type of account and what version of Outlook? -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Properly back-up and restore your Outlook data -Creating a Permanent New Mail Desktop Ale...

SMTP (Outgoing Mail) Issue
Hello, I have a single Exchange 2003 SP2 server that is causing Internet bandwidth issues. I have a packet sniffing program between the Internet and our LAN and it see all outgoing SMTP traffic. This is what is strange. There are multiple SMTP connections open from the Exchange server to multiple SMTP servers on the Internet and the connections are transporting large amounts of data BUT those connections are not showing up in the Queue window. If I stop the SMTP Virtual Service, the connections stop as seen in the packet sniffer. But, as long as the SMTP service is running, these c...

Undeliverable Mail
You do not have permission to send to this recipient. For assistance, contact your system administrator. <server name #5.7.1 smtp;554 5.7.1 The server sending your mail [207.13.101.242] does not have a reverse DNS entry. Connection Rejected. Please contact your Dial-Up/DSL/Network ISP Provider.> I get this message when sending an email. What exactly does this mean and how do i fix it? Whoever hosts your public DNS for the domain needs to setup a PTR record in the reverse lookup for your mail server. -- Hope that helps, Dan Townsend This posting is provided "AS I...

Get Identical Double E-mail Messages
I receive identical double e-mail messages when I receive e-mail. How can I stop getting double messages? Thanks in advance!!! What version of Outlook do you have? What sort of mail account(s)? If you have Outlook 2002, http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q284404 may help. -- Jeff Stephenson Outlook Development This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights "Paul" <alliance@nc.rr.com> wrote in message news:041401c3531c$28f60f70$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I receive identical double e-mail messages when I receive &...

Log in Windows Mail Vista
Dear sir/miss/misses, When I give up my right username and password, Windows Mail won't make aconnection with the server. Do you know a solution for this problem? With kindest regards, Ms. G. Pol "Geerte Pol" <g.pol6@kpnplanet.nl> schreef in bericht news:uErHQ$7iKHA.1236@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Dear sir/miss/misses, > > When I give up my right username and password, Windows Mail won't make > aconnection with the server. Do you know a solution for this problem? > > With kindest regards, > > Ms. G. Pol "Ge...

recovery of deleted e-mails in Windows Mail
I recently permanently deleted several e-mails from the deleted file and need to recover them. I have seen different software packages claiming to do this. I am not a Geek (no ofense) and just have basic computer skills. My question - are these softward applications easy to use or do you need to to have higher skill levels? Is is safe to download directly from the internet? Any advice would be appreciated. Jake -- Jake428 Posted via http://www.vistaheads.com You can try a file undelete utility, such as Recuva: http://www.piriform.com/recuva Frankly, the success ...

How to Mail Disable a Public Folder Exchange 2000
We have an Exchange 2000 Email Server, Each time a new Public folder gets created for one of our customers, it associates this customer with an email address, and tries to send email. Does anyone know a way to disable the "mail enable" feature in Exchange 2000 System Manager so, that each of the hundreds of public folders stop getting all these SPAM emails? Please help. -Mike When you created a PF, you have to specify is is mail enabled, otherwize it is NOT. if PF is mail enabled, make a right click and select disable mail oz -- Best regards, Good Luck Oz Ozugurlu _________...

What does Sync mean in windows live mail?
What does Sync mean in windows live mail? Send and Receive in Windows Live Mail 2009 http://liveunplugged.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!F92775FC46A390CA!644.entry -- ...winston ms-mvp mail "Bob" <bobbREMOVE-CAPSus99@CAPSyaREMOVE-CAPShoo.com> wrote in message news:eFymNJjoKHA.5464@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > What does Sync mean in windows live mail? What an unbelievable decision. Why change the informative and logical "Send/Receive Mail" in favour of an obscure bit of computer-speak? Bert "Bert Coules" <mal@bertcoules.co.uk&g...

Importing Outlook Contact Note attachments? Is it possible?
Currently my company has a CRM set up using just Outlook. We are in the process of implementing MSCRM. As we are doing this one of the largest problems we have come across is getting all of the ntoes stored in a contacts note box imported to the CRM. Exporting the data out of Outlook seems to get some of the written notes in a distorted fashion. This distortion is probably due to the mail file links that are seperating each note in the box. Is it possible to export these notes in an organized manner and retain the links to the mail? This is a large part of our current CRM that NEEDS to ...

Can you turn off the graphics in Outlook?
I'm using Outlook 2000 SP3. I get alot of spam and would like to turn off the graphics if possible. -- VSL I don't think you have these options in 2000 but try: Tools>Options>Mail Format>Internet Format and see if the first box is ticked, or Tools>Options>Security>Change Automatic Download Settings. Or Tools>Options>Security>Change Automatic Download Settings and then untick the 'Don't download....' box. Rgds Jess "VSL" wrote: > I'm using Outlook 2000 SP3. I get alot of spam and would like to turn off > the graphics ...

Empty mail header crashes Outlook
I constantly recieve mails with a faulty mail header, either omitting the "from" and "to" fields, or with a malformed "message-id" header. These messages stop Outlook from downloading all subsequent messages. I have applied all service packs, patches etc. This applies to Outlook Express and Outlook 2000 (don't know about other versions) Any ideas? ...

Mass e-mail errors when Word access Outlook
Hi; When Word accesses Outlook for a mass e-mail it says 'another program is trying to access outlook automatically to send e-mails' You set it to allow access for 10 minutes, however it continues to ask for every e- mail. Any solutions? I tried adjusting security levels but no luck. Thanks. Lee ...

e-mail unreadable
I'm using Outlook 98 and we're getting e-mails that are unreadable about 50% of the time. The messages are coming from China. I do have Chinnese language support. ...

Can't send mail from other addresses
Hi. I have other old email addresses added to my Windows live so I still receive emails, which I do. However when I try to reply using that email address the server doesn't respond and I'm sure it used to. I get the following :- Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Subject 'test' Server: 'smtp.tiscali.co.uk' Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0F Protocol: SMTP Port: 25 Secure(SSL): No Socket Error: 10053 Any ideas please ? Any...

Can chart previews be turned off
I use excell for charts up to 30 series with as much as 28,000 data points per series, I know what selections I want and do not need previews, is there a way to turn them off so I don't have to contantly wait for the previews to finish everytime I make any change. ...

Mail...
Why is it that some mail in my inbox and in folders is not immediately available when clicking on the message? Instead, I have to wait for it to download. Is there a setting I could change so that all mail remains fully downloaded at all times? Please let me know. Thanks! LJSNYC <LJSNYC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Is there a setting I could change so that all mail remains fully downloaded >at all times? in 2003 (you never mentioned your version): Tools/Options/Send-Receive/Edit Look for the options involving downloading headers. LJSNYC <LJSNYC@discussions.micr...

emails with "attachments made smaller" won't send
has anyone had a problem trying to send pictures by clicking on the pic and choosing the option make smaller and then having the email message automatically pop up. All of this works fine until I try to send the message and the message just won't send. I don't know if it is a bug in my outlook or what. Works fine for me - any other problems cropping up? Nate wrote: > has anyone had a problem trying to send pictures by > clicking on the pic and choosing the option make smaller > and then having the email message automatically pop up. > All of this works fine until I...

Chinese Charactor in Mails
when i send any email through the exchange server from the local netweork its received by the destination as chinise charactors i am using exchange 2000 server ols let me know how to solve this problem ...