Archive/Download Public Folder

We have a public folder that contains all the messages that went through the
server.

At the moment we are manualy copying the content once in a while with
outlook and move them to outlook folder. Then export to pst file.

But when it comes to the hunderds thousands of emails it is desparately
slow.

Is there other comon way to download/export messages/posts from public
folder to pst file.

Thank you,
Vladimir

There is nothing that says you must drag them to a mailbox first.  Just make
sure that you have the pst file mounted and drag and drop the contents from
the PF directly to the PST file (from within Outlook).

Otherwise, there are no other built-in tools for exporting Public Folders.
You may be able to find a 3rd party tool to do this.  Another suggestion
might be to create a Mailbox that all messages get archived to instead of
using a Public Folder.  This way, you could automate the process using
Exmerge.

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

"Vladimir" <support@clintec.com> wrote in message
> We have a public folder that contains all the messages that went through
> the
> server.
>
> At the moment we are manualy copying the content once in a while with
> outlook and move them to outlook folder. Then export to pst file.
>
> But when it comes to the hunderds thousands of emails it is desparately
> slow.
>
> Is there other comon way to download/export messages/posts from public
> folder to pst file.
>
> Thank you,
> Vladimir

0
Ben

Public Folder
hi, I have set up a public folder, however users cannot flag any items other than their own? If i create a sub folder, they can flag any item within that subfolder. Thoughts, comments, suggestions? "gumby" <Drinkingbeer@yourplace.now> wrote: >I have set up a public folder, however users cannot flag any items other >than their own? If i create a sub folder, they can flag any item within that >subfolder. Thoughts, comments, suggestions? What does "flag" mean? -- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_f...

Moving Large emails to Public folders
One of our clients has a Mac which is synchronized to his exchange account, they are running exchange 2003 sp2. When he attempts to move emails with slightly bigger attachments (e.g. 1.6mb) then it throws up this error: "The action cannot be completed due to an error on the exchange server". Entourage is fully up to date. Anything I can do? Cheers ...

Where are permissions set for Mailboxes and Public folders in 5.5?
Exchange 5.5 running on NT4 SP6 We have installed Veritas Backup Exec Remote Agent. Exchange is allowing it to backup everything except the actual Private Mailboxes and Public Folders. I'm being denied access to those two folders. I have tried all 3 logons that are listed as 'Service Account Admins' and no luck. I'm told that "The logon account xxxxxx failed to access server_name\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes." Access is denied. This is an old exchange server set up by my predecessor and I'm not that familiar with it. Is there somewhere that special permiss...

Auto Archived emails lost
My boss has auto archiving set up on his laptop. He recently went into the archive folders to pull out some data that was there a week prior and discovered all of the folders were there but no emails remained. We are using Outlook 2003 and recently switched our email from one server to another. Could we have lost the actual emails in the move? Is there anyway to recover them? Any insight appreciated. Unless you kept your .pst files on a server, they are local and should not disappear irrespective of what server moves happened. Ensure that the archive.pst file is the only one. If yes,...

Download of Quotes hanging...
Has anyone seen (solved) an issue where the update function hangs. If I select download quotes. It just hangs. Looks like its trying to download by it just sits there. If I do not select download quotes the update proceeds normally. I just upgraded to 2004 Del. No improvement. Is this hooked to an online account or something? Thanks, LR In microsoft.public.money, LTR wrote: >Has anyone seen (solved) an issue where the update >function hangs. If I select download quotes. It just >hangs. Looks like its trying to download by it just sits >there. If I do not sel...

Outlook says: unable to expand the folder
Hi all I have a user that logs on her domain pc as Membership. She do a mailbox for this username named "Membership". She also has her own mailbox opened in outlook named "Illse" which is her name. This one i did add throught Tools > Accounts > Change > Advanced Tab, etc, etc. Now she needs to ba able to see a third mailbox called "Trudy" > If i add this mailbox on exactly the same way and want to open the mailbox in outlook outlook says " unable to expand the folder". Why is it doing this while it opens the second mailbox successful...

OL2007+Exchange: Sent items disappear if i move them to another folder...!
I'm seeing a very strange issue with my Outlook2007 (against Exchange)... Sent items disappear if i move them to another folder...! Steps: 1. Send an email. Sent email gets saved under Outlook's default "Mailbox\SentItems" folder. 2. Go to that SentItems folder, and move the mail to another folder (let's say "Foobar") under your inbox. 3. Go to "Foobar", make sure mail is still there. 4. Let Outlook Sync up with Exchange server (or hit "Send and Receive"). 5. You will notice that the mail disappears... ! I did a full text search in my ...

Where to download: SBS 2008 with Windows Server 2008 Service Pack
I am a technet plus member, but cannot find this version of SBS 2008 referenced below for download there. http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/archive/2009/10/16/coming-soon-sbs-2008-with-windows-server-2008-service-pack-2-included.aspx Can someone please point me at where I can find this version available for download? Thanks ozinca wrote: > I am a technet plus member, but cannot find this version of SBS 2008 > referenced below for download there. > > http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/archive/2009/10/16/coming-soon-sbs-2008-with-windows-server-2008-service-pack-2-included.a...

Moving Folders?
How do I move folders from one account to another? I want to move all my folders from my hotmail account to my Comcast account. How do I move folders from one account to another? Please disregard this post. Posted twice mistakenly... Please respond to the person that replied to your original post about this issue. -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA "Artreid" <artreid44@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:uKkBQpxFLHA.1316@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > How do I move folders from one account to another? I want t...

downloaded service pack 1 and now Microsoft Excel isn't working ri
When I got to the icon for the save option I get this message "The file ' .xls' may have been changed by another user since you last saved it. In that case, what do you want to do?" *save a copy *overwrite changes this dialoge box is getting annoying, If I choose save a copy I have copy's of my files all over the place, if I overwrite then it does just that. But why do I have to do this everytime I open a file? I have looked everywhere and can't find my answer. Please remember that I just downloaded the Windows update service pack 1 and I believe that this i...

when i am in the window to choose a folder to export none are list
I want to export my contacts to an excel file. When I am in the window to choose a folder to export, there are no folders to click on. What version of Outlook are you using? Does anything show in that pane of the Import/Export Wizard? "outlook export files" <outlook export files@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:17414043-FCB0-4C02-8ABF-C5288395157F@microsoft.com... >I want to export my contacts to an excel file. When I am in the window to > choose a folder to export, there are no folders to click on. ...

Link for downloading online statements not visible Mon 2k3
On my financial institution's(TCF Bank) website, there are instructions for downloading online statements that refer to a link on the BALANCES page for MS Money. The problem is that the link apparently doesn't show up in my version (MS Money 2003 ver. 11). I spent some time on the phone with TCF's customer support and frustratingly tried to argue that there was no link to click on to download my statement both in Money and in Internet Explorer. Therefore I thought it was a problem with their website. However, they say that they recently updated their system to automat...

Import contacts from Public Folder into Address List
Hi, we had an Address List that mysteriously disappeared. I have been able to restore its contents into a Public Folder of the same name as it was published as such. Now I have a Public Folder full on contacts but I need to move them back to the Address List which has been recreated but is now empty. Does amyone know how I may go about this? Thanks Simon Sorry, we are running Exchange 2003 Standard. Thanks "Simon" wrote: > Hi, > we had an Address List that mysteriously disappeared. I have been able to > restore its contents into a Public Folder of the same name as i...

Adding additional Public Contact & Calendar Features
Any quick guide to adding additional Contact lists and public features to the public folders for separating to different clients/permissions? 2003 Mike Is there a better Exchange group to ask this? Mike "Michael Gregg" <mike@nospam.alyrica.net> wrote in message news:%23N1DuxJNEHA.556@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Any quick guide to adding additional Contact lists and public features to > the public folders for separating to different clients/permissions? > > 2003 > > Mike > > ...

save files in FTP folder
Can I save the Outlook files on a FTP folder and have outlook 2003 access those files as defoult? Close Outlook - then cut and paste the outlook.pst file to the location of your choice. Reopen Outlook and when it whines, point it to the location of the saved .pst file. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to my actual account will be deleted w/out reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer Wilson <wdgouveia@hotmail.com> asked: | Can I save the Outlook files on a ...

Trying to move messages to folders
When I try to move certain email messages to other folders (manually), suddenly I get this message: "The messaging interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart Outlook." Even with the restarts, I still get the error messages. I looked up the error message in the database, but it seems to be listed only in cases where you're forwarding mail, not moving it. I also checked for updates to Outook 2002, but the scan said I was up-to-date. This all happened, by the way, after I installed Service Pack 2. Can anyone help? Thanks so much! ...

OT: Reliable Medium For Long Term Backup And Archiving
Hi, I've been using DVD and CDs for long term backup and archiving. However, recent uploading of a hundred or so CDs and DVDs had several that failed. These were only about six years old. (I typically spot test a newly burned disk.) More than one burner and brand of blanks was involved. The burners and blanks are garden variety. What are more reliable alternatives? Thanks, Gary "Abby Brown" <abbybrown@charter.net> wrote in message news:%23cQ4IRMkKHA.1648@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > I've been using DVD and CDs for long t...

Calendar as a Public Folder
Can someone tell me how to setup a public folder as a Calendar? I have seen it in the past, but do not know how to set it up. John: Please see the microsoft.public.exchange.setup thread titled "setting up shared/public calendar" dated Wednesday, August 18, 2004. Regards, Martin "John Barr" <jbarr@toobrands.com> wrote in message news:219701c48612$84d08d50$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Can someone tell me how to setup a public folder as a > Calendar? I have seen it in the past, but do not know how > to set it up. Hi John, Assuming you have everything setup a...

On opening outlook
Hi When i open outlook it always goes to a particular folder in my inbox (its a sub folder, about 5 levels down). How do i set it to 1. just open and go to the inbox 2. or open to the last folder i had open. thanks in advance Andy C Tools-> Options-> tab Other-> button Advanced Options... Here you can specify your default startup folder. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.msoutlook.info/ Real World Questions, Real World Answers ----- "AC&q...

Obtain Sub-Folder Names with VBA?
Is it possible to obtain the names of all Sub-Folders for a specific parent Folder? Just 2 levels (1 Parent Folder) and several children folders. We need the names of the sub-folders, not the names of the files in the sub-folders. Thanks for your help. Brad Lookup the Dir Function in the help file, specifically at the example it illustrates exactly how to get a directory listing. You'll see it isn't hard! -- Hope this helps, Daniel Pineault http://www.cardaconsultants.com/ For Access Tips and Examples: http://www.devhut.net Please rate this post using the...

Cant see Default Public Folders on New 2003 Exchange
Hi We have recently installed a new W2003 Exchange 2003 server into our domain. The domain already had an Exchange 2000 server installed. The default public folders on the Exchange 2000 machine can be seen under ESM and by Outlook clients. We have created an additional new public folder store on the new 2003 server, however, the default Public folders on the new 2003 server cant be seen by mapi clients ie Outlook. Additionally any folder created under the Public Folder tree on the 2003 server under Folders does not appear under the First Storage Group > Public Folder Store > Public Fol...

backing up personal folders (.pst) files for MS outlook
I am trying to back up personal folders on a cd. I burned the files to a CD. When I try to open them in Outlook it tells me the following: "properties for this information service must be defined prior to use" and then "File access is denied. You do not have the permission required to access the file..." I have checked the permissions and I have full control. Any suggestions? Copy the PST files to your hard drive, right-click on them, go to properties, and remove the read-only attribute. William Wheeler wrote: > I am trying to back up personal folders on ...

Lost Outlook Express Folders
I transitioned from Pacbell DSL to SBC DSL about a year ago. I just recently tried to reset up an existing email address (not my primary address) with an SBC support rep. During the process I lost all folders for my primary email account. The support rep said all we did was remove and add back the primary account, and delete temp files to speed things up. According to her this should not cause folders to be lost. I don't find any of the folders when I search. How do I do all to recover these folders before I just move on? ...

Failed Installation after 2nd 22 hours download!
Tks both Mary and John. Successfully downloaded Office Publisher to desktop, but installation failed. My 6 week old new system has caused me DAYS of unsuccessful attempts at rectifying Vista issues. I not able to do much more than surf the net with it. I'm at my wits end. I may just take the entire system back and wait until the tech issues have been resolved. I'm in the thick of setting up my own business and have spent more time trying to "fix" my computer than on my business set up. LOVE the Vista improvements, but the "EASE" of using XP is gone. This produc...

Protecting Folder
Hello, I'd like to create a folder on a Windows 2003 Business Server which is not accessible unless permission is explicitly granted to a user. It will be to hold an MS Access database backend. I have a folder now in which this is accomplished, but to do it, I created a Security Group, unchecked all of the permissions and denied List Folder Contents permission. This doesn't seem rational to me to have to specifically deny access. I asked a network guy if there was another way, and he said what I did was exactly right. I find it difficult to believe. Thanks for ...