Anti-virus necessary on front end server?

I'm currently running Symantec Anti-virus for Exchange on my Exchange 2003
back-end server.

I'm adding a front-end server to be used for OWA, POP3, and IMAP
send/receive access. The server will have a store (for the direct POP3 and
IMAP connectivity), but no mailboxes on it.

Will I require anti-virus on this server as well as my back-end? I can't
find any real recommendations on this.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

0
paul4299 (2)

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 12:59:47 -0400, "Paul" <paul@nodomain.com> wrote:

>I'm currently running Symantec Anti-virus for Exchange on my Exchange 2003
>back-end server.
>
>I'm adding a front-end server to be used for OWA, POP3, and IMAP
>send/receive access. The server will have a store (for the direct POP3 and
>IMAP connectivity), but no mailboxes on it.
>
>Will I require anti-virus on this server as well as my back-end? I can't
>find any real recommendations on this.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Paul

Because you will be routing mail through it you ought to have anti
virus on there and that box ought to be where the anti spam and/or IMF
is activated.
0
mark7219 (5666)
4/20/2006 6:17:29 PM
Since there is no information store. Exchange AV (VSAPI based) will be of
noo use. However if your FE Servers gets SMTP emails, you could install AV
that supports SMTP scanning to scan for viruses and offloading the BE
Servers.

I would suggest to route your emails through the FE to the BE and use AV on
FE with SMTP scanning to offload your BE Servers if possible.

Ibrahim Kazi
"Paul" <paul@nodomain.com> wrote in message
> I'm currently running Symantec Anti-virus for Exchange on my Exchange 2003
> back-end server.
>
> I'm adding a front-end server to be used for OWA, POP3, and IMAP
> send/receive access. The server will have a store (for the direct POP3 and
> IMAP connectivity), but no mailboxes on it.
>
> Will I require anti-virus on this server as well as my back-end? I can't
> find any real recommendations on this.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Paul

0
Ibrahim
4/21/2006 12:11:18 AM
We struggled with this very same question a few years ago.  We decided it
was not necessary, and that's how it has remained.  On the other hand, we
also have AV at the gateway (a Unix-based system) that should catch viruses,
and this contributed to our decision to not install on the Exchange FE
servers.  I'm not sure if the decision would have been different without the
gateway AV in place.

Will your FE server be the server that accepts external email and/or acts as
the smtp bridgehead?  Will IMAP/POP clients use it as the smtp server?  Yes
to either of these questions would make me put AV on it.

-GT
"Paul" <paul@nodomain.com> wrote in message
> I'm currently running Symantec Anti-virus for Exchange on my Exchange 2003
> back-end server.
>
> I'm adding a front-end server to be used for OWA, POP3, and IMAP
> send/receive access. The server will have a store (for the direct POP3 and
> IMAP connectivity), but no mailboxes on it.
>
> Will I require anti-virus on this server as well as my back-end? I can't
> find any real recommendations on this.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Paul

0
GT

do not want to synch with exchange server sbs2003
Hi! I have a email box and all my mails are downloaded to my local .pst file when i click send/receive button. I have one copy on the server and one on my local drive. I want to disable the sync/downloading of mails to local drive/pst-file. I only want to have the mails on the server? I use: Outlook 2003, exchange account type. Have unmarked, Use cashed mode. And default dilevery box is my exchange mailbox. exchange server and SBS2003. cortez <soresm@hotmail.com> wrote: > I have a email box and all my mails are downloaded to my local .pst > file when i click send/receive b...

Hosting other websites on LB OWA Servers
We're considering collocation. We're on a budget and don't expect too much traffic but want some fault tolerance and better performance. Is it acceptable to run production web sites/web applications on the same load-balanced IIS as Exchange? Two servers-one OWA, one web site, two (light) data-driven web apps? Thanks in advance. On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 13:26:41 -0400, "msnews.microsoft.com" <intranologydeveloper@hotmail.com> wrote: >We're considering collocation. We're on a budget and don't expect too much >traffic but want some fault toleran...

Exchange server on MAPS RSS list
My Exchange 2000 server is on blacklisted on RSS. Whenever I run a open relay test from any website other than RSS it shows my relay is closed. My question is why is it that RSS shows my server as an open relay and how do I correct this? You could be on a BL for a number of reasons. Some RBL owners are stricter than others. It does not mean they are right, but it is their database/server and they wield the power to decide what they will block you for and for how long. If you are willing to provide your MX info, we can help you find out if you are truly open relay or not. -- Sincerely, D�j...

Exchange Server Registry Descriptions ??????
I need to find out the descriptions for all the Registry Entries that are related to Microsoft Exchange Server 2000. Is there any place where I could find a list of Registry Guide for Exchange or atleast a list of all the entries related to Exchange. These are the KEYS I am looking information on. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeDSAccess HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeES HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeIS HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeMTA HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\C...

Printin DOS Application in Terminal Server
Hello, I'm working with a DOS application in TS, I need to capture the printer thaht i've in my session to a port lpt1, someone has any script that can detect the TS default printer, share it and use it as LPT1? -- Saluda Atte. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Pedro C. Arias. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------- On 06/04/10 08:47, Pedro C. Arias wrote: > Hello, I'm working with a DOS application in TS, I need to capture > the printer thaht i've in my ...

HQ Server
Hi, Does anyone know a way to start HQ server as a service? rgds, Henk Wieland Hi Hank, HQ Server is not a service - it only starts when the user logs in. Are you having problems keeing it running? Have a great day! Amy -- Amy Luby, President Mobitech 13430 "L" Street Omaha, NE 68137 402.330.0707(o) 402.614.3519(f) www.mobitech.biz Microsoft Certified Business Solutions Partner: Microsoft Retail Management System "Henkie" <Henkie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FDF55408-533E-4947-8F00-D29DC88F41EB@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > Does an...

Two Exchange servers no connection between mailboxes
Hi, I have just installed an Exchange 2003 server in the same forest as an Exchange 2000 server. The idea is to transfer all the mailboxes across when i'm satisfied the new server is doing everything I need. I moved two mailboxes today and have struck an issue. These two mailboxes can send mail to one another, but neither can send or receive mail from mailboxes still on the original exchange server. Is this normal? I would prefer not to move all the other mailboxes until I know it's working but I can't test it properly with this restriction. Thanks, John ...

Web-based Outlook bug: Cannot open mail when the subject field ends with a . (dot) character
From web-based Outlook, you cannot open any mail with the subject field ends with "." (dot) character. Outlook web will return HTTP 404: The page cannot be found. You might want to post this in an exchange group as Outlook Web Access is actually a function of Exchange, not Outlook. microsoft.public.exchange.admin is a good place to start. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.grou...

Crashed server in the ESM
I have a crashed server in the System manager, i am now using a new server as the exchange server 2003. But some objects still point to the crashed server. I tried hitting the 'DEL' key but it does not seem to work. It freezes for a while and then does nothing. I have removed all instances of this server from the AD but i would be completely satisfied once its gone from the ESM. Any help is appreciated. Thanks Kunal Fire up ADSIEdit and delete from Configuration | Services | Microsoft Exchange | Your Exchange Org | Administrative Groups | Your Admin Group | Servers. -- Bharat S...

POP3 server connect errors
Hello, WinXP Pro, Outlook 2k SP3 POP3 server connect failures. a) can send/receive emails under 100kb b) setup Outlook logging, and see server connect failures in logs for all email accounts across 3 domains. Things tried 1) All usual settings checked over, been running smoothly for months - ZoneAlarm, McAfee v8. Same results whether these disabled or enabled [did shut them down to test]. 2) Removed/Re-added Outlook email accounts. All settings standard POP3 110. Also tried increasing time-out. 3) Uninstalled/Re-installed Outlook 4) Moved outlook.pst and let Outlook recreate fresh pst...

Process server and times events
There seems to be mention of process server supporting timed events but I'm unable to find any more detail on this function - can anybody help? Is this for report server, or is that a separate function altogether? ...

Colour code from different servers
-- I collect mail from 2 different servers and I was wondering if it is possible to have them show in the IN BOX in different colours. I know I can select different senders by colour but I want to show all senders that came from each server. Can anybody help Pete A "Pete A" <PeteA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EB77DCA6-A07E-47E9-AD04-62C8B6BC1193@microsoft.com... > > -- I collect mail from 2 different servers and I was wondering if it is > possible to have them show in the IN BOX in different colours. I know I > can > select different se...

Re: server and client threads #2
On 2/3/2005 1:48 PM, RSN_@_COMCAST.NET wrote to ALL: -> When you spawn the child thread you ordinarily pass it a parameter. -> What I do is make that parameter a pointer to the instance of the -> server class that spawned the child. That way, the child can easily -> notify its parent about any special events that may be useful. -> Termination is one such case! I also find it very useful to send a -> stream of diagnostic and debugging information to the parent who can -> display it, log it, or ignore it depending on circumstances. Good point. Now since my server thread...

How to limit the number of instances of an application on a server?
Hello all, I want to know (and to limit) the number of instances of my application on a server such as Microsoft Server 2003 or 2008. I know how to look for multiple instances of an app using Joe's code ("How to avoid multiple instances.. http://www.flounder.com/mvp_tips.htm#Avoiding%20Multiple%20Application%20Instances). I've implemented Joe's code and tested it the following way : Using Vista, I log in as user A and start my application. Then, without closing user A session, I log in as user B and start the same application. I had hoped that the mutex created when running th...

BP external deployment with no ISA server
Has anyone successfully deployed BP externally with no ISA server? I know ISA server is the only supported means of using BP on an extranet but my client doesnt have one. Any suggestions? Thanks Marisol Have them get one. -- Richard L. Whaley Author / Consultant / MVP Documentation for Software Users For help learning and better using Dynamics GP,... check out our books at http://www.AccoladePublications.com "Marisol Britton" wrote: > Has anyone successfully deployed BP externally with no ISA server? I know > ISA server is the only supported means of using BP o...

large numbers not losing the end without formatting column
Hi, i need to be able to open a .csv file in Excel with large numbers and or Leading zeros without having to put a ' single quote in or format the column as text or import using text to columns so that i do not lose the actual/original data i am passing to Excel - is there anyway to do this or fool Excel in the .csv file into thinking the number field is a text field - i have tried inserting a row at the begininng with only text in each column but Excell still looses leading zeros and chops the ends of the numbers? thanks best regards kevin The problem is that Excel thinks it knows ...

/removeorg will it affect my 5.5 servers?
I have recently installed Exchange 2003 into my exchange 5.5 site, I now need to remove the 2003 server as it was only a test. Can I use the /removeorg to remove the exchange 2003 data from my active directory without it affecting my current 5.5 site. Thanks in advance. Lee. Lee Too late now but you shouldn't mess with your production environment in this manner. Get yourself a copy of MS Virtual Server or VMware and setup a lab. Did you set up the ADC connector as well? If so remove this and make sure your environment is stable before proceeding. In theory the /removeorg should h...

Help with setup of IIS Server
Hello, Could someone please point me in the right direction/newsgroups? I'm looking to setup an intranet server and need help with the setup and configuration of Windows Server 2003 IIS. Thanks William Hello Bill, Check: microsoft.public.inetserver.iis microsoft.public.inetserver.misc Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. ** Please do NOT email, only reply to Newsgroups ** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm > Hello, > > Coul...

Setup cannot connect to the Microsoft CRM server
Hello everyone! We're diving into CRM 3.0. The web based testing phase ran well and we're now trying to play with the outlook desktop client. During the setup, I get the following error: "Setup cannot connect to the Microsoft CRM server. This might indicate that the server is down." I've tried modifying the default_client_config.xml file with the server ip address, the netbios name and eventually the FQDN. All failed. The web version, however, was reachable in all cases. I also tried increasing my privileges to local administrator after some google search, the error ...

schedulled task never ends launchning a batch
Hi, I use a batch like @echo off start engine.exe /I1 exit and schedule the batch. When executed manually the batch is executed, cmd.exe closes down. When the batch is executed by the 2008 scheduler the cmd.exe is never closing down. Any clue? -- PeterKou ------------------------------------------------------------------------ PeterKou's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/239557.htm View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-server-help/1350442.htm http://forums.techarena.in "PeterKou" <PeterKou.4dgs9a@DoNotSpam.com> w...

How do I delete pages in Excel? Keeps printing blank pages at end.
I'm printing charts in Excel. Some of them are adding blank pages at the end of the charts. How do I get rid of these? Several ways: 1) Change the location of the chart to have its own sheet. Do this by right clicking the chart, go to "Location" and putting it on it's own sheet. Then you should be able to print it by itself without any white stuff. 2) Make sure that the page breaks are defined well. Go to View -> Page Break Preview . From there, you can move around the blue lines to determine your page breaks. Then, when you're printing it, make sure that you c...

Setting database location to SQL Server
Hello, I'm looking to move the POS system database from the local MSDE database to a SQL server. I've restored a recent backup (.bck) to a SQL server machine on our network and I'm looking for information on how to reconnect the POS to the new SQL server. Before we go live I will restore a new backup but I'm just testing the solution for now. The overall plan is to separate the database from the cash register and allow SQL server to perform backups and other normal database task. Is there a separate configuration tool for changing data connection information? ...

how to forward mail to correct domains and Exch servers,
We have an NT 4 domain (call it "NT4") and a new AD domain (call it "AD"). Domain NT4 is NT 4 with Exchange 5.5. New domain AD with Windows 2003 and very soon Exchange 2003. We have one Internet domain name ("abc.com"). How can we have mail sent to user@abc.com get routed to the correct Exchange server on the correct domain? Currently our firewall passes all SMTP traffic to the NT4 Exchange 5.5 server. I'm thinking the answer is the ADC, but will this work between two different (but trusting) domains? If this is the answer, does the ADC end up "ins...

Windows Mail stopped connecting to the server
Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'pop.att.yahoo.com', Server: 'pop.att.yahoo.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F Vista x64 Ultimate overnight windows mail stopped connecting to the server. I installed C# express, VB Express, Python 2.6, and VB6 run times last night. I've tried disabling all virus scanning on the off chance that was blocking itbut no luck. Anyone got any ideas? The...

MS CRM 3.0 and SBS Server
what is the supports SBS Server edition for MS CRM 3.0? is it Premium or Standard? CRM Small Business Edition -- Brandon Presentations Direct - "Document Finishing Solutions" http://www.presentationsdirect.com "Benjie Fallar III" <bfallar@wizardsgroup.com> wrote in message news:eYlvm9CPGHA.3888@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > what is the supports SBS Server edition for MS CRM 3.0? is it Premium or > Standard? > Premium. You need SQL Server, which only comes with Premium. "Benjie Fallar III" <bfallar@wizardsgroup.com> wrote in message ...