Anonymous Access Checked off- No incoming email

I have a simple setup regarding email. Mail comes in thru firewall directly
to my Exchange 2003 server. I remove the check next to anonymous access in
the properties of the SMTP virtual server, I receive no incoming
email(UN-checked
basic and checked integrated). Everything else works fine. If I leave
anonymous access with the check mark, I'm bombarded with folks relaying off
me. Anonymous access is not required for any of my systems to function
properly.
My question is... Should this simple setup work and if so, what am I doing
wrong or do I need to implement a more complex environment with more servers.

--
Tony A
0

On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 17:56:00 -0800, Tony A
<TonyA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have a simple setup regarding email. Mail comes in thru firewall directly
>to my Exchange 2003 server. I remove the check next to anonymous access in
>the properties of the SMTP virtual server, I receive no incoming
>email(UN-checked
>basic and checked integrated). Everything else works fine. If I leave
>anonymous access with the check mark, I'm bombarded with folks relaying off
>me. Anonymous access is not required for any of my systems to function
>properly.
>My question is... Should this simple setup work and if so, what am I doing
>wrong or do I need to implement a more complex environment with more servers.

If the Exch Server is receiving mail directly from the Internet ( A
bad idea), then you need anonymous checked, unless you expect the
whole world to authenticate to your servers. :)

Relaying is different. Anonymous relaying is disabled by default.
Authenticated relaying is *enabled* by default. If you do not require
*your* users or any process to be authenticated to the SMTP virtual
server to send mail ( I.e. - outlook mapi clients do not authenticate
themselves to the SMTP virtual server), then uncheck that box as well
and ensure *anonymous* relaying is still disabled as well.

You may want to also check your server with ExBpa. You can download
that from Microsoft.
0
adavid (8731)
1/10/2007 2:07:22 AM
He probably has 'allow relay to these email domains' checked on his default
SMTP connector.

This will cause you to be an open relay due to the '*' in the address space
tab.

Uncheck it.

Oliver

..

0
o.moazzeziNO (822)
1/10/2007 1:51:53 PM
Tony have you checked what I said?

Oliver

0
o.moazzeziNO (822)
1/10/2007 5:58:30 PM
On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 09:04:00 -0800, Tony A
<TonyA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I  followed your suggestion. Under Authentication- ONLY Anononymous access is
>checked. Under Relay Restrictions- Only the list below is checked (nothing in
>the list) Unchecked Allow all computers which successfully ..... above.
>
>I'm still being have people relaying off of me.

How do you know that mail is being relayed off of you?

0
adavid (8731)

open two different Access reports

Problems with creating a newsletter

Access 2007 and Vista code problem

Sending Email #6

Customer check data

compact database in VBA access 2007

LDAP Write access?

why does my spell check not work?
My spell check has never worked. What can I do to set it up? In what program / version "karen" <karen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DA8883BD-0958-4AB0-93FF-F43E4FB9D176@microsoft.com... > My spell check has never worked. What can I do to set it up? ...

MS Access 2007 code not running

CRM Email Displays Size=2>

Email cannot be resolved...

Recurring email #2