Am I using the pop3 connector properly?

I currently host mail for udc.net on a machine running mailsite. I want to
convert everyone over to exchange, but cannot do everyone at once. I believe
that I need to use the pop3 connector. All MX records point to the current
box running Mailsite. In exchange, I have created a pop3 connector for my
own mailbox, and added the SMTP domain and email address for udc.net (so
when I send mail, it will show me@udc.net as the from, and return address)

I connector definately downloads mail from the pop3 mailbox. But it gets
lost. The messages do not appear in my exchange mailbox. If I remove the
@udc.net SMTP domain from my account, the mail comes in just quick, speedy,
and every 15 minutes just like it's supposed to. Am I missing something
here? I really need to be able to have the @udc.net as my primary SMTP or
everyone will get confused when I send mail.

Maybe this isn't what the connector is intended for? If it's not, can somone
point me in the right direction?

On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 09:19:03 -0400, "Aaron Anderson"
<aanderson@udc.net> wrote:

>I currently host mail for udc.net on a machine running mailsite. I want to
>convert everyone over to exchange, but cannot do everyone at once. I believe
>that I need to use the pop3 connector. All MX records point to the current
>box running Mailsite. In exchange, I have created a pop3 connector for my
>own mailbox, and added the SMTP domain and email address for udc.net (so
>when I send mail, it will show me@udc.net as the from, and return address)
>
>I connector definately downloads mail from the pop3 mailbox. But it gets
>lost. The messages do not appear in my exchange mailbox. If I remove the
>@udc.net SMTP domain from my account, the mail comes in just quick, speedy,
>and every 15 minutes just like it's supposed to. Am I missing something
>here? I really need to be able to have the @udc.net as my primary SMTP or
>everyone will get confused when I send mail.
>
>Maybe this isn't what the connector is intended for? If it's not, can somone
>point me in the right direction?

A POP3 connector is intended to enable you to download all the mail
for a domain where the mail is delivered to a catch-all mailbox at an
ISP.
You can use http://support.microsoft.com/?id=321721 to help your
transition because it looks like you will have the same address space
on the two systems for a short while.
0
mark7219 (5666)
10/3/2005 3:02:48 PM
"Aaron Anderson" <aanderson@udc.net> wrote in

In the properties of the Recipient policies, uncheck the 'This Exchange
Organization is responsible for all mail delivery to this address box.

> I currently host mail for udc.net on a machine running mailsite. I
> want to convert everyone over to exchange, but cannot do everyone at
> once. I believe that I need to use the pop3 connector. All MX records
> point to the current box running Mailsite. In exchange, I have created
> a pop3 connector for my own mailbox, and added the SMTP domain and
> email address for udc.net (so when I send mail, it will show
> me@udc.net as the from, and return address)
>
> I connector definately downloads mail from the pop3 mailbox. But it
> gets lost. The messages do not appear in my exchange mailbox. If I
> remove the @udc.net SMTP domain from my account, the mail comes in
> just quick, speedy, and every 15 minutes just like it's supposed to.
> Am I missing something here? I really need to be able to have the
> @udc.net as my primary SMTP or everyone will get confused when I send
> mail.
>
> Maybe this isn't what the connector is intended for? If it's not, can
> somone point me in the right direction?

0
compguy666 (112)
10/3/2005 3:52:19 PM
No good... I think i'll have to follow the instructions to share SMTP
address spaces.

blah.

"Asher_N" <compguy666@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Aaron Anderson" <aanderson@udc.net> wrote in
>
> In the properties of the Recipient policies, uncheck the 'This Exchange
> Organization is responsible for all mail delivery to this address box.
>

>> I currently host mail for udc.net on a machine running mailsite. I
>> want to convert everyone over to exchange, but cannot do everyone at
>> once. I believe that I need to use the pop3 connector. All MX records
>> point to the current box running Mailsite. In exchange, I have created
>> a pop3 connector for my own mailbox, and added the SMTP domain and
>> email address for udc.net (so when I send mail, it will show
>> me@udc.net as the from, and return address)
>>
>> I connector definately downloads mail from the pop3 mailbox. But it
>> gets lost. The messages do not appear in my exchange mailbox. If I
>> remove the @udc.net SMTP domain from my account, the mail comes in
>> just quick, speedy, and every 15 minutes just like it's supposed to.
>> Am I missing something here? I really need to be able to have the
>> @udc.net as my primary SMTP or everyone will get confused when I send
>> mail.
>>
>> Maybe this isn't what the connector is intended for? If it's not, can
>> somone point me in the right direction?

 OK. I've followed directions from a KB article that forwards mail to
another mail server that shares the same SMTP address space. This is exactly
what I want to do.

The instructions say to un-check "this exchange server is responsible for
all mail delivery to this domain" in the default policy, and then put the
FQDN of your second mail server in the SMTP settings..

The moment I uncheck "this exchange....." it will start saying that it can't
relay for anyone on that domain.....

Kind of a catch 22.... what am I missing?

In all seriousness, whoever can help me get this figured out can invoice me
50 bucks for the help.

Thanks,
Aaron Anderson