Again - Exchange 2000 deleting inbox msgs\'deleted items' arbitrarily

This has been an issue for a few weeks now.

I have observed not only an arbitrary deletion of a message that came into
my Inbox about 2 minutes before, but also seeing the Deleted Items folder
being completely emptied.  Both actions took place within a few seconds of
each other  This occured with zero user input from me and there are no user
recipient policies in place.

The enviroment is Exchange 2000\SP3 under Windows 2k, fully patched  Nothing
out of the ordinary in event viewer.  No recipient message policies.  No
nothing.

Any thoughts?

George

0
me1 (409)

Do you see vanished messages as recoverable in Outlook\Tools\Recover Deleted
Items?
Have you tried to use Advanced Search feature in Outlook to search for vanished
messages?

George Ojeda wrote:

> This has been an issue for a few weeks now.
>
> I have observed not only an arbitrary deletion of a message that came into
> my Inbox about 2 minutes before, but also seeing the Deleted Items folder
> being completely emptied.  Both actions took place within a few seconds of
> each other  This occured with zero user input from me and there are no user
> recipient policies in place.
>
> The enviroment is Exchange 2000\SP3 under Windows 2k, fully patched  Nothing
> out of the ordinary in event viewer.  No recipient message policies.  No
> nothing.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> George

0
kpalagin1 (1216)
1/20/2004 6:56:48 AM
See if this helps

OL2000: E-mail Messages Disappear from Your Inbox
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;253503

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 01:19:20 -0500, "George Ojeda" <me@me.com> wrote:

>This has been an issue for a few weeks now.
>
>I have observed not only an arbitrary deletion of a message that came into
>my Inbox about 2 minutes before, but also seeing the Deleted Items folder
>being completely emptied.  Both actions took place within a few seconds of
>each other  This occured with zero user input from me and there are no user
>recipient policies in place.
>
>The enviroment is Exchange 2000\SP3 under Windows 2k, fully patched  Nothing
>out of the ordinary in event viewer.  No recipient message policies.  No
>nothing.
>
>Any thoughts?
>
>George

0
Michael
1/20/2004 12:29:58 PM
Yes I do see those messages in the "Recover Deleted Items From" window.
However, Exchange should not be moving those messages there unless I clear
out the Deleted Items folder myself.  Normally, Exchange should be leaving
the Deleted Items folder completely alone (unless there is a recipient
policy in place, of which I do not have any defined).  Also, the "Recover
Deleted Items From" option is not available in OWA.

"Kirill S. Palagin" <kpalagin@nomail.phxint.please.ru> wrote in message
> Do you see vanished messages as recoverable in Outlook\Tools\Recover
Deleted
> Items?
> Have you tried to use Advanced Search feature in Outlook to search for
vanished
> messages?
>
> George Ojeda wrote:
>
> > This has been an issue for a few weeks now.
> >
> > I have observed not only an arbitrary deletion of a message that came
into
> > my Inbox about 2 minutes before, but also seeing the Deleted Items
folder
> > being completely emptied.  Both actions took place within a few seconds
of
> > each other  This occured with zero user input from me and there are no
user
> > recipient policies in place.
> >
> > The enviroment is Exchange 2000\SP3 under Windows 2k, fully patched
Nothing
> > out of the ordinary in event viewer.  No recipient message policies.  No
> > nothing.
> >
> > Any thoughts?
> >
> > George

0
me1 (409)
1/20/2004 3:58:23 PM
Michael,

Outlook has no view filters defined, or enabled, and all messages are being
delivered to the correct place (the Exchange server, not a local store).

I should note that I have a user who is using just OWA (which does not have
filtering on views) to access her email and she is seeing the same random
deletion of messages from the Inbox and from her deleted items folder.  I
should note one more thing: the deletion of items from the Deleted Items
folders happens much more frequently then the deletion of Inbox items.

It is very disconcerting looking at your Outlook screen and seeing messages
from your Inbox disappear for no apparent reason.

One last thing, on my Outlook client, I do have a POP account defined -
which is where I pickup my email from my ISP.  These messages, as mentioned
above, are stored in my Exchange mailbox (not a pst or anything like that).

"Michael Lamberson (MVP)" <Michael.Lamberson@nOsPaM#.hp.com> wrote in
message news:ap7q00dg9l7n9rtjcd6598471jrdcocspb@4ax.com...
> See if this helps
>
> OL2000: E-mail Messages Disappear from Your Inbox
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;253503
>

> On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 01:19:20 -0500, "George Ojeda" <me@me.com> wrote:
>

> >This has been an issue for a few weeks now.
> >
> >I have observed not only an arbitrary deletion of a message that came
into
> >my Inbox about 2 minutes before, but also seeing the Deleted Items folder
> >being completely emptied.  Both actions took place within a few seconds
of
> >each other  This occured with zero user input from me and there are no
user
> >recipient policies in place.
> >
> >The enviroment is Exchange 2000\SP3 under Windows 2k, fully patched
Nothing
> >out of the ordinary in event viewer.  No recipient message policies.  No
> >nothing.
> >
> >Any thoughts?
> >
> >George

0
me1 (409)

Have Outlook 2000. How do I get rid of spam?
I need step by step directions because I don't know the termenology. When we open Outlook it comes up under my husband's e-mail. Then I Open mine. He is not spamed. I get hundreds each day. HELP! winnieB <winnieB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I need step by step directions because I don't know the termenology. > When we open Outlook it comes up under my husband's e-mail. Then I > Open mine. He is not spamed. I get hundreds each day. HELP! Step by step: 1) Open Internet Explorer. 2) Browse to http://spambayes.sourceforge.net/ 3) Downoad SpamBaye...

esm shows wrong exchange server version
I have an Exchange 2000 Installation with SP3 + Rollup package 870540-v2 + Hotfix MS05-021. Exchange System manager still shows Build 6249.4 SP3. Should ESM show a higher Build number ? Thanks for any replies. MC IIRC, ESM only shows SP4 on clustered servers that have the update applied to them. -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP For Exchange news, links, and tips, check: http://www.msexchangeblog.com "MC" <seaedsit@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OW%23lRuARFHA.3496@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... >I have an Exchange 2000 Installation with SP3 + Rollup package 870540-v2 + ...

Exchange 2000 DST Changes

Restoring Exchange 2000 cluster to "standard" Exchange 2000 Enterp
Hi all, At the moment we are creating a "full" test environment built from backup tapes from our live environment. DC's are all up and running. Our 2000 native forest exists out of a top domain and 2 child domains. All DC's are running 2000 SP3 as well as the Exchange servers. Exchange servers are located in the child domains. In one of the child domains which is NL.top.net we have an Exchange cluster, 2 nodes active/active eg. These would be EX01 and EX02 and running EX04 and EX05. Since we unfortunately do not have a SAN in our test site I will not be able to do a DR...

Outlook 2000 send/receive
I am having troubles trying to get Outlook 2000 to automaticly send/receive e-mails...any help? I am not sure if it is what you are looking for but here goes: Under the Tools menu, click Options. In the dialog box that opens next click on Mail Delivery tab, then make sure there is a check in the box beside "send messages immediately when connected." <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:14fdf01c41cac$9696e2c0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > I am having troubles trying to get Outlook 2000 to > automaticly send/receive e-mails...any help? ...

setting to have email saved on Exchange server instead of PST
Hi, In Outlook 2007, is there a setting to have all the email saved to an Exchange Server rather than to a PST file? Thanks Steve Set the default delivery location to the exchange acct in tools, account settings. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Outlook Tips by email: dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM You can access this newsgroup by visiting http://w...

OL2003 (Exchange) and OE6 running in the same PC
We are currently upgrading our OS from W98SE to WinXP. Our VP is using Netscape v4.67 with dial-up to access his personal email from the ISP and Novell Groupwise for his internal corporate email. With the new WinXP, he will be authenticate to Active Directory and using Exchange 2003 (Outlook 2003) for corporate email. (Yep, no more Groupwise!!) I want to move him away from Netscape to OE6 (built-in with XP pro). During my test in the lab, for some reasons I can't have OE6 and OL2003 running at the same time. (I can launch either one but not both at the same time) He wants OE6 as his...

Exchange 2003 OWA #6
Exchange 2003 OWA I would appreciate if someone would be able to help me. When I'm trying to access Exchange 2003 Server via OWA, I'm getting error "The folder can't be displayed. You do not have permission to perform this action" We also running Microsoft ISA Server. Thanks ...

Exchange Connector Wizard error

Exchange 5.5 to 2003 upgrade issue 3

NNTP move to Exchange?
Hi, I'm having a problem with getting a NNTP feed from a INND 2.2.1 server to Exchange 2003; are there any known issues here? Has anyone done this type of migration before? What issues did you encounter? It seems as if Exchange just wants to pull down a few of the groups (of which we have over 100 internal) and even with that, not even pull all of the messages in from those few groups (it usually gets a few hundred messages). I'm using the basic NNTP wizards but everything looks to be configured correctly. Thanks, Dan ...

Remote Access or shared LAN access of Outlook without using Exchange Server ????
Currently I am accessing my desktop computer's installation of Outlook through Remote Desktop, from my laptop. I can do this while on the same LAN or remotely, through the internet. This however is not really ideal, as I run my desktop at QXGA resolution and my laptop has only a XGA screen. This means that when I get back home, all the windows on my desktop are all messed up and really small. What I would really like to do is be able to access remotely, in either one of the ways you can do using Exchange Server. I have a separate server machine (running Windows Server 2003 Stand...

Wrong unread count in inbox (1 is list but no there is no messages)
I'm trying to figure out why a user has this problem. The unread inbox count shows 1, even if there are no unread messages in the Inbox. Any ideas? Thanks in advance! Check your view (View, Current View, Customize Current View) and make sure there are no filters set. -- Patricia Cardoza Outlook MVP www.cardozasolutions.com Author, Special Edition Using Microsoft Outlook 2003 Author, Absolute Beginner's Guide to OneNote 2003 ***Please post all replies to the newsgroups*** "mr_gustav" <randy.riauka@saultc.on.ca> wrote in message news:17b1b01c418c3$e7e4aff0$a10128...

Deleted items folder in o2k3
The big boss refuses to empty or archive his deleted items, now holding some 25,000 messages and approaching 3 gigs in size for the deleted items folder alone. Does Outlook treat messages in the deleted items folder any differently than messages in other folders? Would it be better for him to never delete messages since he doesn't really want to delete them? It would be better to not delete them since Deleted Items... is for things you want to get rid of. "Wowbagger" <none> wrote in message news:uKyAPby2GHA.3656@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > The big boss refuses ...

"x" button enables deletion.... can we put a focus trigger there?
Hi, on three forms, I put focus triggers on the "delete" button because I need to validate some additional data before allowing the user to delete. However, if the user clicks on the corner "x" button to close the form and gets the dialogue box saying they have changes, do they want to "Save", "Delete" or "Cancel", they can delete the record anyways. Is there any way to put a focus trigger on the button of the dialogue box, or on the "x" button? Thanks in advance. I assume you are working with Dexterity. To work with an add...

How do I setup an SMTP gateway / smart host for Exchange 5.5 internet bound mail
My current setup has a Windows NT 4.0 Exchange 5.5 server setting on our company LAN behind a Microsoft ISA Server. The Exchange server's Internet Mail Connector binds to (I assume this is the proper terms) port 25 on the ISA server for inbound and outbound Internet Mail. Our company has finally upgraded to a new Cisco Pix Firewall which we are able to setup a DMZ on. The suggestion by our ISP is to setup an SMTP gateway in the DMZ and have our internal Exchange server send mail to it destined for the Internet. I am aware that most of the work for making the connections from the SMTP ...

Adding an item to a popup menu in outlook's inbox using VBA
Hello all, On rightclicking on the mailitems in the outlook's inbox we can see a popup menu.i want to add a menu item to that popup menu using outlook VBA. Please do help me in this regard. Thanking you regards, Revathy.v ...

Excel 2000 vs. Excel 2002

Changing Item #'s
Is it possible to change the item #'s after the item has already been entered? TMM: No there isn't in the "base" product, but MBS does have a tool that you can use called Item Modifier - this will allow you to change an Item number from one value to another. You can email this address below and they can answer any questions you have about the tool and can tell you what the cost of it is. mbsprofessionalservices@microsoft.com Hope that helps you out, JG "TMM" wrote: > Is it possible to change the item #'s after the item has already been entered? ...

SharePoint (WSS) 2007 / Outlook 2007 - Alert
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_00AD_01C70E47.83B45950 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable We have setup a SharePoint Server (WSS) 2007 and are using the alerting = functionality. After we changes stuff on WSS, an alert message is generated and sent to = an email account. This e-mail account is hosted on an Exchange 2003 server. When using Outlook 2007 to open the e-mail, we get: Cannot open this item. Wenn using OWA the e-mail can be opene fine. Does somehow have an explanation for th...

make outlook automatically delete html mail with linked images
The junk mail filter should be able to automatically delete html mail with linked images ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=9e1b783b-c9c1-44f2-a1dd-93da59216c56&dg=microsoft.public.outloo...

Retreive a deleted file
How can I retreive a delted file Hi Janet If you have setup Excel to automatically create backup copies; then check that folder for the last backed-up version....If it is from your PC, check out the Recylcle Bin (on your desktop) and restore the file. If the file was on a network drive you may need to contact your network administrator and check whether they can recover. -- Jacob (MVP - Excel) "Janet" wrote: > How can I retreive a delted file Go into your Recycle Bin. If deleted from there; http://www.ozgrid.com/Services/recover-deleted-files.htm ...