Advice on Exchange 2003 Recovery #2

I have spent the last 6 hours going over the MS docs on Exchange 2k3
recovery, but none seem to address this situation I have.

1 Seattle office
1 New York office

Both have a domain controller serving a single domain.
The single Exchange 2003 server is in the Seattle location.

Disaster Recovery Scenario:

Seattle is Nuked

Somehow I and my colleagues survive. We go to our disaster recovery
facility in Portland, OR and install a fresh copy of Windows on new
hardware, VPN to New York, and add the new server as a second DC to the
New York DC.

My question is how am I to recover exchange?
I have a backup of the Information Store (3rd party Exchange plugin),
but
my Active Directory still has the old Exchange server.

Would I just install windows fresh on the DR hardware (for the new
exchange server) install Exchange fresh and then do the data restores
over the top of the exchange install?

How would AD be "brought up to speed"?

Thanks in advance

-M

Hi Matt,

The fact that you still have a working AD site in NY means you would
install the new server in Portland and let it fully replicate all the AD
information from NY.
You would then build the E2k3 server to mirror the old "Nuked" box. You
would install Exchange with the /disasterrecovery command line switch:

<cdDrive>:\Setup\I386\Setup.exe /disasterrecovery

This way all the old settings will be recreated on the server. All you have
to do then is restore your Information stores.
Check out hte MS article 298068 and the online help concerning
/disasterrecovery.

I hope that helps,

0
roberba (123)

Exchange update problem

Outlook 2003 and "Check Names"

Microsoft POS #2

Outlook 2003 keeps crashing #2

Password Issue with MS Money 2003

Rollup 2 and Office 2007

Lookup based on criteria in 2 columns

Outlook 2003

Exchange 2k3 imap VS startup

Addressing within Exchange 2003

matching contents #2

Office 2003, Outlook (Outlook Today)...

Exchange clusters
Hello Everyone, I am running two exchange2k3 server clusters on win2k3 servers. I am going to install service pack 2 for exchange2k3. Which cluster do I install it on first? The active cluster or the passive cluster? Thank you, Most appreciative, Do you mean you're running one cluster with two nodes? If you were to install on the active node, Exchange will shut down and the passive node will become the active node. So, it's clear that you should install first on the passive node, fail over, then install on the passive node (which was formerly the active node). -- Ed Crow...

Exchange 2007 across account search

Import from Eudora 6 to Outlook 2003

Remittance advice history
The ability to be able to review what was paid onany given cheque run, a history of remittance advice details. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=7a95b5b9-567c...

DNS Error on Exchange

Please ignore #2

[Exchange 5.5]: Orphaned Object ODN
Dear All, I would like to check ODN of a object which is replicated from another server. I can't check same on originating server as it has been deleted over there and shows orphaned object on my server. Thanks in advance. Regards, Dhananjay ...