Adding members to distribution lists from Outlook

Running Exchange 2003 and Outlook 2003.  I am setting up distributions lists
and having them managed by the Office Manager.  She has several hundred
contacts in her Outlook that need to be put into the various distribution
lists.  I have done some testing but I can't seem to figure out how to use
Outlook to get those contacts into the distribution lists from her Outlook.

It looks like they have to be an Active Directory object before you can add
it to the distribution list.

Am I right on this or am I missing something?

TIA

John

0
jk0 (35)

Hi John,

Yep thats correct, you need to have an AD Account/Mailbox or Contact first
before the Distro Group Manager can assign them to the group.

Regards
--
Ben Hoffman
MCP (Win2000 Pro/Server & Exchange 2003 Admin)

"John" <jk@rt.com> wrote in message
> Running Exchange 2003 and Outlook 2003.  I am setting up distributions
> lists and having them managed by the Office Manager.  She has several
> hundred contacts in her Outlook that need to be put into the various
> distribution lists.  I have done some testing but I can't seem to figure
> out how to use Outlook to get those contacts into the distribution lists
> from her Outlook.
>
> It looks like they have to be an Active Directory object before you can
> add it to the distribution list.
>
> Am I right on this or am I missing something?
>

> TIA
>
> John

0
ben.hoffman (411)
6/24/2005 8:22:27 AM
So what would you suggest is the best way to add these contacts into Active
Directory?

John

"Ben Hoffman" <ben.hoffman@cdu.edu.au> wrote in message
> Hi John,
>
> Yep thats correct, you need to have an AD Account/Mailbox or Contact first
> before the Distro Group Manager can assign them to the group.
>
> Regards
> --
> Ben Hoffman
> MCP (Win2000 Pro/Server & Exchange 2003 Admin)
> http://www.ExchangeIS.com
>
> "John" <jk@rt.com> wrote in message
>> Running Exchange 2003 and Outlook 2003.  I am setting up distributions
>> lists and having them managed by the Office Manager.  She has several
>> hundred contacts in her Outlook that need to be put into the various
>> distribution lists.  I have done some testing but I can't seem to figure
>> out how to use Outlook to get those contacts into the distribution lists
>> from her Outlook.
>>
>> It looks like they have to be an Active Directory object before you can
>> add it to the distribution list.
>>
>> Am I right on this or am I missing something?
>>

>> TIA
>>
>> John

0
jk0 (35)
6/24/2005 3:21:27 PM
Hi John,

If you want to give this person permissions to add contacts to AD, just
create an OU in Active directory and do a delegation of Control to give
permission for this person to create/modify contacts within that OU.

Next you will need to create a customized Active Directory Users & Computers
MMC which only displays this new OU and its contents. Supply a copy of the
customized MMC to the DL manager.

Regards
--

> So what would you suggest is the best way to add these contacts into
> Active Directory?
>
> John
>

> "Ben Hoffman" <ben.hoffman@cdu.edu.au> wrote in message
>> Hi John,
>>
>> Yep thats correct, you need to have an AD Account/Mailbox or Contact
>> first before the Distro Group Manager can assign them to the group.
>>
>> Regards
>> --
>> Ben Hoffman
>> MCP (Win2000 Pro/Server & Exchange 2003 Admin)
>> http://www.ExchangeIS.com
>>
>> "John" <jk@rt.com> wrote in message
>>> Running Exchange 2003 and Outlook 2003.  I am setting up distributions
>>> lists and having them managed by the Office Manager.  She has several
>>> hundred contacts in her Outlook that need to be put into the various
>>> distribution lists.  I have done some testing but I can't seem to figure
>>> out how to use Outlook to get those contacts into the distribution lists
>>> from her Outlook.
>>>
>>> It looks like they have to be an Active Directory object before you can
>>> add it to the distribution list.
>>>
>>> Am I right on this or am I missing something?
>>>

>>> TIA
>>>
>>> John

0
ben.hoffman (411)
6/24/2005 3:59:45 PM
Is it possible for the user to add the contacts from a public folder?

> Hi John,
>
> If you want to give this person permissions to add contacts to AD, just
> create an OU in Active directory and do a delegation of Control to give
> permission for this person to create/modify contacts within that OU.
>
> Next you will need to create a customized Active Directory Users &
> Computers MMC which only displays this new OU and its contents. Supply a
> copy of the customized MMC to the DL manager.
>
> Regards
> --
> Ben Hoffman
> MCP (Win2000 Pro/Server & Exchange 2003 Admin)
> http://www.ExchangeIS.com
>
> "John" <jk@rt.com> wrote in message
>> So what would you suggest is the best way to add these contacts into
>> Active Directory?
>>
>> John
>>

>> "Ben Hoffman" <ben.hoffman@cdu.edu.au> wrote in message
>>> Hi John,
>>>
>>> Yep thats correct, you need to have an AD Account/Mailbox or Contact
>>> first before the Distro Group Manager can assign them to the group.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> --
>>> Ben Hoffman
>>> MCP (Win2000 Pro/Server & Exchange 2003 Admin)
>>> http://www.ExchangeIS.com
>>>
>>> "John" <jk@rt.com> wrote in message

0
jk0 (35)
6/28/2005 7:40:22 PM
Thanks Ben for the suggestion.  My last question is how do I make the MMC to
only show the one OU?

John

"Ben Hoffman" <ben.hoffman@cdu.edu.au> wrote in message
> Hi John,
>
> If you want to give this person permissions to add contacts to AD, just
> create an OU in Active directory and do a delegation of Control to give
> permission for this person to create/modify contacts within that OU.
>
> Next you will need to create a customized Active Directory Users &
> Computers MMC which only displays this new OU and its contents. Supply a
> copy of the customized MMC to the DL manager.
>
> Regards
> --
> Ben Hoffman
> MCP (Win2000 Pro/Server & Exchange 2003 Admin)
> http://www.ExchangeIS.com
>
> "John" <jk@rt.com> wrote in message
>> So what would you suggest is the best way to add these contacts into
>> Active Directory?
>>
>> John
>>

>> "Ben Hoffman" <ben.hoffman@cdu.edu.au> wrote in message
>>> Hi John,
>>>
>>> Yep thats correct, you need to have an AD Account/Mailbox or Contact
>>> first before the Distro Group Manager can assign them to the group.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> --
>>> Ben Hoffman
>>> MCP (Win2000 Pro/Server & Exchange 2003 Admin)
>>> http://www.ExchangeIS.com
>>>
>>> "John" <jk@rt.com> wrote in message

0
jk0 (35)
6/29/2005 1:06:17 PM
Hi John,

Here is a good article about creating a custom ADUC MMC
http://www.petri.co.il/create_taskpads_for_ad_operations.htm

Regards
--

> Thanks Ben for the suggestion.  My last question is how do I make the MMC
> to only show the one OU?
>
> John
>

> "Ben Hoffman" <ben.hoffman@cdu.edu.au> wrote in message
>> Hi John,
>>
>> If you want to give this person permissions to add contacts to AD, just
>> create an OU in Active directory and do a delegation of Control to give
>> permission for this person to create/modify contacts within that OU.
>>
>> Next you will need to create a customized Active Directory Users &
>> Computers MMC which only displays this new OU and its contents. Supply a
>> copy of the customized MMC to the DL manager.
>>
>> Regards
>> --
>> Ben Hoffman
>> MCP (Win2000 Pro/Server & Exchange 2003 Admin)
>> http://www.ExchangeIS.com
>>
>> "John" <jk@rt.com> wrote in message
>>> So what would you suggest is the best way to add these contacts into
>>> Active Directory?
>>>
>>> John
>>>

>>> "Ben Hoffman" <ben.hoffman@cdu.edu.au> wrote in message

0
ben.hoffman (411)
6/30/2005 3:36:14 AM
Thanks!!!

> Hi John,
>
> Here is a good article about creating a custom ADUC MMC
> http://www.petri.co.il/create_taskpads_for_ad_operations.htm
>
> Regards
> --
> Ben Hoffman
> MCP (Win2000 Pro/Server & Exchange 2003 Admin)
> http://www.ExchangeIS.com
>
> "John" <jk@rt.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks Ben for the suggestion.  My last question is how do I make the MMC
>> to only show the one OU?
>>
>> John
>>

>> "Ben Hoffman" <ben.hoffman@cdu.edu.au> wrote in message
>>> Hi John,
>>>
>>> If you want to give this person permissions to add contacts to AD, just
>>> create an OU in Active directory and do a delegation of Control to give
>>> permission for this person to create/modify contacts within that OU.
>>>
>>> Next you will need to create a customized Active Directory Users &
>>> Computers MMC which only displays this new OU and its contents. Supply a
>>> copy of the customized MMC to the DL manager.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> --
>>> Ben Hoffman
>>> MCP (Win2000 Pro/Server & Exchange 2003 Admin)
>>> http://www.ExchangeIS.com
>>>
>>> "John" <jk@rt.com> wrote in message

0
jk0 (35)