Activesync, 1 device shared by multiple users?

Hello.

Is this possible?

The vice president of the company I work for
wants to purchase one Motorola Q when it
comes out.  He wants me to make activesync
work with that device.  I want to try to let
three users beta test it one week at a time.

Can I make multiple profiles in a device?
Or can I erase the previous person's profile
and create the next beta tester's profile?

Thanks in advance.

0
someone961 (56)

Hi

You would need to erase/remove the previous setting when handing over to the
new  beta tester, unfortunatly Windows Mobile devices are not able to be
configured with multiple profiles.

Regards
--
Ben Hoffman
MVP Exchange

"C C" <someone@atsbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Hello.
>
> Is this possible?
>
> The vice president of the company I work for
> wants to purchase one Motorola Q when it
> comes out.  He wants me to make activesync
> work with that device.  I want to try to let
> three users beta test it one week at a time.
>
> Can I make multiple profiles in a device?
> Or can I erase the previous person's profile
> and create the next beta tester's profile?
>
> Thanks in advance.

0
ben.hoffman (411)
5/18/2006 1:25:21 PM
"Ben Hoffman [MVP Exchange]" <ben.hoffman@cdu.edu.au> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> You would need to erase/remove the previous setting when handing over to
> the new  beta tester, unfortunatly Windows Mobile devices are not able to
> be configured with multiple profiles.
>
> Regards
> --
> Ben Hoffman
> MVP Exchange
> http://www.exchangeis.com
>
> "C C" <someone@atsbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>> Hello.
>>
>> Is this possible?
>>
>> The vice president of the company I work for
>> wants to purchase one Motorola Q when it
>> comes out.  He wants me to make activesync
>> work with that device.  I want to try to let
>> three users beta test it one week at a time.
>>
>> Can I make multiple profiles in a device?
>> Or can I erase the previous person's profile
>> and create the next beta tester's profile?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.

0
someone961 (56)
5/18/2006 2:17:58 PM
Thank you.  Is there a re-install (reflash) of device applications?
Or shall I ask, is the handover a quick one or is it a hassle?

"Ben Hoffman [MVP Exchange]" <ben.hoffman@cdu.edu.au> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> You would need to erase/remove the previous setting when handing over to
> the new  beta tester, unfortunatly Windows Mobile devices are not able to
> be configured with multiple profiles.
>
> Regards
> --
> Ben Hoffman
> MVP Exchange
> http://www.exchangeis.com
>
> "C C" <someone@atsbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>> Hello.
>>
>> Is this possible?
>>
>> The vice president of the company I work for
>> wants to purchase one Motorola Q when it
>> comes out.  He wants me to make activesync
>> work with that device.  I want to try to let
>> three users beta test it one week at a time.
>>
>> Can I make multiple profiles in a device?
>> Or can I erase the previous person's profile
>> and create the next beta tester's profile?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.

0
someone961 (56)
5/18/2006 2:19:50 PM
I would like to re-phrase my question.

To erase the user's device profile, do I have
to reset the device to Factory default?  Is the
hand-over to the next beta tester a quick process?

Thanks in advance.

> Thank you.  Is there a re-install (reflash) of device applications?
> Or shall I ask, is the handover a quick one or is it a hassle?
>
> "Ben Hoffman [MVP Exchange]" <ben.hoffman@cdu.edu.au> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> You would need to erase/remove the previous setting when handing over to
>> the new  beta tester, unfortunatly Windows Mobile devices are not able to
>> be configured with multiple profiles.
>>
>> Regards
>> --
>> Ben Hoffman
>> MVP Exchange
>> http://www.exchangeis.com
>>
>> "C C" <someone@atsbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> Is this possible?
>>>
>>> The vice president of the company I work for
>>> wants to purchase one Motorola Q when it
>>> comes out.  He wants me to make activesync
>>> work with that device.  I want to try to let
>>> three users beta test it one week at a time.
>>>
>>> Can I make multiple profiles in a device?
>>> Or can I erase the previous person's profile
>>> and create the next beta tester's profile?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.

0
someone961 (56)
5/18/2006 7:32:32 PM
"C C" <someone@atsbcglobal.net> wrote:

>I would like to re-phrase my question.
>
>To erase the user's device profile, do I have
>to reset the device to Factory default?  Is the
>hand-over to the next beta tester a quick process?

You should be able to delete the partnership from the ActiveSync
application on the PC. Removing and reinstalling ActiveSync on the PC
is probably a good way to make sure the info is gone.

The mobile device has a name (Start -> Settings -> System -> About)
that identifies it when creating the partnership (what you're calling
a "profile"). The ActiveSync configuration defines the Exchange server
and user that'll be used when syncing the mailbox.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

> "C C" <someone@atsbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>>I would like to re-phrase my question.
>>
>>To erase the user's device profile, do I have
>>to reset the device to Factory default?  Is the
>>hand-over to the next beta tester a quick process?
>
> You should be able to delete the partnership from the ActiveSync
> application on the PC. Removing and reinstalling ActiveSync on the PC
> is probably a good way to make sure the info is gone.
>
> The mobile device has a name (Start -> Settings -> System -> About)
> that identifies it when creating the partnership (what you're calling
> a "profile"). The ActiveSync configuration defines the Exchange server
> and user that'll be used when syncing the mailbox.
>
> --
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
> Or to these, either: mailto:h.pott@pinkroccade.com
> mailto:melvin.mcphucknuckle@getronics.com
> mailto:melvin.mcphucknuckle@pinkroccade.com

0
someone961 (56)
5/20/2006 12:29:00 PM
I think so....If Exchange Active Sync is setup and working correctly you'll
not need a Desktop Active Sync profile configured.

I use to Hard reset to get a new partnership on the device, now I just
delete the device Exchange Active Sync partnership.
On device got to Active Sync | Options | Tap and hold "Exchange Server" then
choose delete. But you'll have to clean up mail items in Pocket Outlook,
they won't be deleted.   So sometimes it'd be easier and cleaner to just
Hard reset.

If you need to move files to the device then build multiple profiles on
Desktop Outlook and set Outlook to prompt for profile and select appropriate
Desktop Outlook profile when running Desktop AS. ie when device is cradled.

>I would like to re-phrase my question.
>
> To erase the user's device profile, do I have
> to reset the device to Factory default?  Is the
> hand-over to the next beta tester a quick process?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> "C C" <someone@atsbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>> Thank you.  Is there a re-install (reflash) of device applications?
>> Or shall I ask, is the handover a quick one or is it a hassle?
>>
>> "Ben Hoffman [MVP Exchange]" <ben.hoffman@cdu.edu.au> wrote in message
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> You would need to erase/remove the previous setting when handing over to
>>> the new  beta tester, unfortunatly Windows Mobile devices are not able
>>> to be configured with multiple profiles.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> --
>>> Ben Hoffman
>>> MVP Exchange
>>> http://www.exchangeis.com
>>>
>>> "C C" <someone@atsbcglobal.net> wrote in message

0
del731 (73)

Quest: Getting Info if the user/programs tried to shutdown/restart...
I have a project that handles CWnd::OnQueryEndSession() and my handler was taking to long and the force program to exit dlgbox appeared so I decided to start timer and return false to CWnd::OnQueryEndSession() and do the work I need to do in the timer handler(kill timer quickly) and then shutdown/restart the system and letting CWnd::OnQueryEndSession() return true... This works fine except when I call ExitWindowsEx(...) I don't know which param to pass(shutdown/restart) cause my code doesn't know if I Start -> Turn off computer -> Shutdown or if I Start -> Turn off com...

Help: Need to produce list of unique names from multiple name occurances
Situation: Daily I produce a large SS from a database. In one column are name (persons, regions, or empty celss etc.) which may appear multilpl times throughout the entire column, such as; joe sue joe ... ... regionA joe sue Willy Nelson etc. Objective: I need a formula [or macro], which I assume will be placed at the en of the column, which will produce a new list of names, having only on (1) occurance of the name, such as; joe sue regionA Willy Neson Thanks for any help you can provid -- ja ----------------------------------------------------------------------- jay's Profile: http:...

Outlook 2003 / Exchange Find issue with Shared Calendar
Hello, Here is the set-up and the issue: There is an Exchange 2003 server (with RPCoHTTP). There are 3 users accessing the Exchange server with Outlook 2003 on Windows XP SP2. One user has a calendar, which is shared, and owned by the two other users (The users do _not_ want to use a public folder calendar, since some PDA software they use cannot sync with a public folder, don't ask). Since the calendar is owned by everyone, everyone can make changes. Issue: If the user whose calendar is shared tries searching his calendar for, say, all entries with 'xyz' in name, he sees all of...

E-mail 1 Worksheet Out Of Workbook
Can I e-mail one worksheet out of a workbook without e-mailing the whole workbook? Thx, Jerrygolfer --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Jerry, have a look here for info on how to do it http://www.rondebruin.nl/sendmail.htm#Workbook. -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2000 & 97 ** remove news from my email address to reply by email ** "jerrygolfer >" <<jerrygolfer.zy2s7@excelforum-nospam.com> wro...

The data at the root level is invalid. Line 1, position 2. -- using LoadXML
I've discovered I need to use LoadXML instead of Load for an xml string versus an xml file. HOWEVER, I get the above message when .net goes to load the string. The string comes from an xmlDoc.OuterXML save resulting in: <?xml version="1.0"?> <WorkFlow> etc., etc. So, when I save this xmlDoc.outerxml to a database field, do I need to remove that first? If so, wouldn't it not work when I then load the string as xml again? Also, I can't figure out how to delete that particular node... Any clues appreciated...as always. Thanks, Kathy It works for me: s...

Objects copied when resizing/moving multiple objects
When I try to resize or move multiple objects in a powerpoint file, the objects are all copied. What is causing this, and how can I stop it? I use Powerpoint 2003 on a computer with Windows Vista. See if this helps: Office shapes move or duplicate themselves when I click them (VISTA) http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00882.htm Lucy -- Lucy Thomson PowerPoint MVP MOS Master Instructor www.aneasiertomorrow.com.au "quietchick" <quietchick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:79F9A07E-525E-4F8E-98C5-9A83C5B0443A@microsoft.com... > When I try to ...

automatic replacing of vbe code for multiple workbooks
hi all a got a workbook called.. Replacer, it contains this macro: Sub rep() On Error Resume Next Dim Wb As Workbook For Each Wb In Workbooks If Left(Wb.Name, 6) = "MI.F@S" Then Wb.Sheets("sheet1").Range("P2").Value = "-1" End If Next Wb End Sub now.. for each workbook in open workbooks whose name begins with "abc", i need to replace or cancel a line or a piece of vbe .. maybe this one: If (Weekday(Now(), vbMonday)) Then aWS.Range("V104").Value = aWS.Range("V104").Value * 2 End If can anyb...

how to prevent users to sending mail
Hi Is it possible in Exchange 2000 (Win2k Srv AD) to prevent users, so they can't send mail through ther mail account (Exchange) only read items in their mailboxes? Thanks Regards Miha You could look at putting an explicit deny on their Send As rights on the Security Tab of the User object. Why do you want to do this? Glen "Miha" <miha.bernik@isg.si> wrote in message news:uUmDWO$jEHA.2668@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Hi > > Is it possible in Exchange 2000 (Win2k Srv AD) to prevent users, so they > can't send mail through ther mail account (Exchan...

Open new IE window when opening multiple FRx Web reports
When accessing FRx reports from the Webport the reports are opened up in an Internet Explorer window afetr double clicking on the report. If we then go back to the Webport and double click on a new report it is opened in the same Interent Explorer window as the first report. What is suggested is that when a second report is opened it displays in a new Internet Explorer window so that both reports can be viewed simultaneously. This is a suggestion from a customer who uses this tool extensively. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the sug...

Create users with Exchange or AD?
Hello, My company is going to be moving from Sendmail to Exchange 2007. We have no Active Directory setup at the moment, so we will be setting up AD strictly for the exchange users (all Win 2003 servers). We have 4000 users that will be using Exchange. I am unclear on the best way to import the users. Should I use AD to import them, or exchange? Is there a difference? What are the relevant commands? Any help is appreciated, thanks. Robert You can use Exchange console or shell to create mailbox-enabled users - the latter is better suited for bulk operations. Exchange Server ...

Different Users, same Outlook Data?
I created a new user account on my PC. I wanted to see if I could synchronise my mobile phone's data with a new account in Outlook without the existing data being corrupted or conflicts being created. After I created the new account (name of "Motorola" after the phone that I use) I logged in as that and then ran Motorola Phone Tools to synch the phone and Outlook. What I found after I ran Outlook is that all the data from my normal account was there. I have set multiple accounts up on the laptop and this has not occured. Each user has their own Outlook data, calendar entries, c...

Capture user selection of font
If I put a font combo box on a Ribbonbar is there a way for me to capture the user's font choice? I need to capture that choice and use it in a macro. Whate *exactly* are you trying to achieve with your macro? -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> "dplaut"...

Granting access to sub-folders for other users
Can someone tell me how I can give users access to a particular user's sub-folder in contacts. I'm using Exchange 5.5 with Outlook 2000. Thanks in advance. Check Tools | Services | Delivery. Is the default delivery location set to the Exchange Server mailbox? If so, try this: First of all, display the folder list if it's not already displayed (View | Folder List). Right click the top-level folder in the list (Mailbox - <person's name) and select Properties. On the Permissions tab, grant the folder visible permission to all that need to see the Contacts subfolder. W...

Listing the contents of a network directory
All, I need to list within a web page the contents of a network directory, this needs to be based on the user permissions of the user viewing the web page. For example, User A can see the following directories : dirA dirB dirC User B has only rights to the following directories : dirA dirB Directory 'dirC' will remain hidden from to User B. The displaying of files within a network directory is easy enough, it's the displaying of files based on user permissions that's the issue. Any comments/suggestions welcome! TIA Iain On Mar 11, 9:41=...

Mark email as replied for all users
Hi, I use Outlook 2003. I share my e-mail with my colleague. When I reply to an e-mail it gets marked as replied. And my colleague also sees this. But when my colleague replies to a mail from his computer with my account. It doesn't get marked as replied. Is there a way to fix this issue? Please help! My customers are getting multiple mails with different content, and thats NOT good... :p ------------------------------------------------------------------------ BrainPulse's Profile: http://www.outlookforums.com/member.php?userid=1040 View this thread: http://www.outloo...

Help with user interaction with worker thread
Hi, My question is that I have a simple worker thread that repeats the same two network commands, pretty straight forward. My trouble is when a command fails I want to ask the user if they want to repeat the command again. Here is a stripped down example that I want to do UINT CMyView::MyThread(LPVOID p) { (CMyView*) view = (CMyView*) p; view->Run(); return 0; } void CMyView::Run() { while(m_executing) { if( myWorkerClass.DoCommand1( ) != PASS) { ::PostMessage(m_hWnd,AM_CMD1_FAILED,0,0); } if( myWorkerClass.DoCommand2() != PASS) {...

Convert User to Contact
I have a AD user with a mailbox who has left the company to be a contract employee. Is there a way to convert the USER to a CONTACT? I want him in the GAL, but I do not want him to have an Exchange mailbox. In news:C6F8686A-3530-446E-94A7-1550F3EA7312@microsoft.com, DB <DB@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > I have a AD user with a mailbox who has left the company to be a > contract employee. Is there a way to convert the USER to a CONTACT? I > want him in the GAL, but I do not want him to have an Exchange > mailbox. Mailbox-disable him, and then mail-enable him and ass...

Make an appointment for another user
Seems like a basic question but I cant see how to do it....... CRM User A contacts customer and want to schedule an appointment for CRM User B to meet with them - how can they do it? Anytime you make an appointment - either SFO or web it gets allocated to person who made it? Causing lots of frustration - appreciate any advice Roger CRM User A contacts customer and schedule an appointment. Then, from appointment windows Actions -> Assign -> User B "Roger" wrote: > Seems like a basic question but I cant see how to do it....... > > CRM User A contacts customer...

User not in Global Address List (GAL)
We have a user that was created last week who cannot be located in the GAL when in cached mode. Switching off cached mode will reveal he does actually exist. He can be found in the ‘all contacts’ list while in cache mode. Ex2003 server Outlook 2003 Any ideas? On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 11:37:03 -0800, Bretto <Bretto@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >We have a user that was created last week who cannot be located in the GAL >when in cached mode. Switching off cached mode will reveal he does actually >exist. > >He can be found in the �all contacts� list while in cache m...

Excel 2007 "document not saved" when on a network share AND file set as an offline file
Hello~ Have this annoying REPEATABLE problem with Excel 2007 running on Vista Business saving to a share on Windows Server 2003. On the client, Vista and Excel all up-to-date with SPs, the machine is part of a domain, and some files on different shares are set to be available offline. On the server, Windows 2003 also up-to-date, the client user has full permissions in all the directories in question - both share permissions and NTFS permissions), and the directory is set to make only files users specify to be available offline. Client has no problem opening and saving files in Excel that ar...

Lookups with multiple records
Is there a way to create a lookup field, and have that field return multiple records? If not, does anyone have some other suggestions about how I may be able to accomplish this? Thanks, Brian I am looking to do the same thing, if not the other possibility is to create a csutome entity to relate the 2 entities then add an iFrame which will display a view which filters out all that are not realted to that entity. I have not been able to get this to work yet either though. "Brian" wrote: > Is there a way to create a lookup field, and have that field return multiple > rec...

Adding external users to Exchange 5.5 DL???
Hello all, Is it possible to add external addresses not in my corp GAL to a DL list?? Seems simple but I cant seem to get it to work... Thanks Create a Contact (Custom Recipient) and add to DL. -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT www.zenprise.com blog: www.suneja.com/blog ----------------------------------------- "ShawnMB" <ShawnMB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FE886650-DDD5-4E1D-8859-9EC7394CB260@microsoft.com... > Hello all, > > Is it possible to add external addresses not in my corp GAL to a DL list?? > Seems simple but I cant seem to get it to...

Adding multiple contact relationships to an account
I am having no success in my attempts to add two fields to the account form. Both are Many to 1 relationship attributes, on is a technical contact, the other is a billing contact. These two fields should appear on the account form in the same manner as the primary contact field that is on the form by default. My problem is that whenever I attempt to create a new Many to 1 relationship in the account entity, the primary entity drop down list only shows my custom entities, the contact entity is not displayed. This seems to be a trivial change, but appears to not be allowed by CRM. Can a...

Can't remove license from user
I get an error message when I try to remove a license from a user "the selected object could not be found. Verify that the object exists in both the database and active directory" The user does still have an active directory account and I don't know where to find it in the database If anyone can help, I am sure I am not the only one with this issue look for a post made at 4.04pm in this news group, explains it all. "Shawn" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:118DF4C6-24F5-4D65-9C36-93563DBC1301@microsoft.com... > I get an error mess...

Charting multiple column data
I have a sheet in Excel 2003 with a number of columns, all of which follow the same, repeated pattern: Day of week Date (dd/mm) Volume Blank column This is then repeated over each month. So, I have 4 columns for July, August, September etc. Each of the months have their own individual line chart, showing date / volume. What I want to do is display a month on month, running total chart, i.e. the one line chart that shows all volumes to date. However, I can't get this done the way my data is stored. If I select multiple columns as my source data, the sheet shows the one line for each ...