About to upgrade Exchange server and want to double check!

All,

I'm in the process of planning an upgrade for my Exchange server. I've 
searched and read on how I should go about this task, and I've settled on 
buying another server, build another Exchange server in my domain, test it, 
and slowly move my mailbox from the old server to the new server.

Any pitfalls i should be aware of? Do you think this is a good plan? I've 
read somwhere that installing another Exchange server in the same domain 
might cause some problems, cause it messes with the schema and what not.
Any opinions, thoughts and ideas is greatly appreciated!

Thanks! 


0
helo (15)
1/22/2007 5:23:37 PM
exchange.admin 57650 articles. 2 followers. Follow

5 Replies
468 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 32

This really depends on the version you currently have and the version you 
are upgrading to.  Can you clarify?

-- 
John Oliver, Jr
MCSE, MCT, CCNA
Exchange MVP 2007
Microsoft Certified Partner

"Nutzer" <helo@hotmail.com> wrote in message 
news:r5GdnYCUZ-gqbynYnZ2dnUVZ_sOknZ2d@giganews.com...
> All,
>
> I'm in the process of planning an upgrade for my Exchange server. I've 
> searched and read on how I should go about this task, and I've settled on 
> buying another server, build another Exchange server in my domain, test 
> it, and slowly move my mailbox from the old server to the new server.
>
> Any pitfalls i should be aware of? Do you think this is a good plan? I've 
> read somwhere that installing another Exchange server in the same domain 
> might cause some problems, cause it messes with the schema and what not.
> Any opinions, thoughts and ideas is greatly appreciated!
>
> Thanks!
> 


0
jcoliverjr (1013)
1/22/2007 6:02:31 PM
Yes!  The current version I have is Exchange 2003 sp1.  And the reason why 
I'm upgrading is because of the hardware on the current server is old, going 
to upgrade it to a Dell Poweredge 2850, and still running Exchange 2003 but 
sp2.


"John Oliver, Jr. [MVP]" <jcoliverjr@hotmail.com> wrote in message 
news:OWZy%239kPHHA.3872@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> This really depends on the version you currently have and the version you 
> are upgrading to.  Can you clarify?
>
> -- 
> John Oliver, Jr
> MCSE, MCT, CCNA
> Exchange MVP 2007
> Microsoft Certified Partner
>
> "Nutzer" <helo@hotmail.com> wrote in message 
> news:r5GdnYCUZ-gqbynYnZ2dnUVZ_sOknZ2d@giganews.com...
>> All,
>>
>> I'm in the process of planning an upgrade for my Exchange server. I've 
>> searched and read on how I should go about this task, and I've settled on 
>> buying another server, build another Exchange server in my domain, test 
>> it, and slowly move my mailbox from the old server to the new server.
>>
>> Any pitfalls i should be aware of? Do you think this is a good plan? I've 
>> read somwhere that installing another Exchange server in the same domain 
>> might cause some problems, cause it messes with the schema and what not.
>> Any opinions, thoughts and ideas is greatly appreciated!
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>
> 


0
helo (15)
1/22/2007 7:19:38 PM
Ok, install the new Exchange Server into your current domain.  When 
completed, use the Move Mailbox Wizard in ADUC to move user mailboxes.  Then 
follow, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822931.  When you have finished 
removing the first Exchange 2003 Server, update your Firewall/Router NAT's 
for SMTP, OWA, SSL, etc to the new internal IP of the Exchange Server.

-- 
John Oliver, Jr
MCSE, MCT, CCNA
Exchange MVP 2007
Microsoft Certified Partner

"Nutzer" <helo@hotmail.com> wrote in message 
news:mIudnV8Rcc53kCjYnZ2dnUVZ_vmqnZ2d@giganews.com...
> Yes!  The current version I have is Exchange 2003 sp1.  And the reason why 
> I'm upgrading is because of the hardware on the current server is old, 
> going to upgrade it to a Dell Poweredge 2850, and still running Exchange 
> 2003 but sp2.
>
>
> "John Oliver, Jr. [MVP]" <jcoliverjr@hotmail.com> wrote in message 
> news:OWZy%239kPHHA.3872@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>> This really depends on the version you currently have and the version you 
>> are upgrading to.  Can you clarify?
>>
>> -- 
>> John Oliver, Jr
>> MCSE, MCT, CCNA
>> Exchange MVP 2007
>> Microsoft Certified Partner
>>
>> "Nutzer" <helo@hotmail.com> wrote in message 
>> news:r5GdnYCUZ-gqbynYnZ2dnUVZ_sOknZ2d@giganews.com...
>>> All,
>>>
>>> I'm in the process of planning an upgrade for my Exchange server. I've 
>>> searched and read on how I should go about this task, and I've settled 
>>> on buying another server, build another Exchange server in my domain, 
>>> test it, and slowly move my mailbox from the old server to the new 
>>> server.
>>>
>>> Any pitfalls i should be aware of? Do you think this is a good plan? 
>>> I've read somwhere that installing another Exchange server in the same 
>>> domain might cause some problems, cause it messes with the schema and 
>>> what not.
>>> Any opinions, thoughts and ideas is greatly appreciated!
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>
>>
>
> 


0
jcoliverjr (1013)
1/22/2007 10:21:14 PM
John,

Thanks for the tips and reply!!  Do I have to take down the old Exchange 
server all in one shot?  I would like to have both running at the same time 
maybe a day or two, just to make sure the new Exchange server is all good to 
go.  I would like to make the necessary changes to the firewall, router 
before hand and have both running from my network/domain and slowly move the 
mailbox over.  Is that a good idea or no?

Thanks!



"John Oliver, Jr. [MVP]" <jcoliverjr@hotmail.com> wrote in message 
news:Ok60jOnPHHA.3344@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> Ok, install the new Exchange Server into your current domain.  When 
> completed, use the Move Mailbox Wizard in ADUC to move user mailboxes. 
> Then follow, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822931.  When you have 
> finished removing the first Exchange 2003 Server, update your 
> Firewall/Router NAT's for SMTP, OWA, SSL, etc to the new internal IP of 
> the Exchange Server.
>
> -- 
> John Oliver, Jr
> MCSE, MCT, CCNA
> Exchange MVP 2007
> Microsoft Certified Partner
>
> "Nutzer" <helo@hotmail.com> wrote in message 
> news:mIudnV8Rcc53kCjYnZ2dnUVZ_vmqnZ2d@giganews.com...
>> Yes!  The current version I have is Exchange 2003 sp1.  And the reason 
>> why I'm upgrading is because of the hardware on the current server is 
>> old, going to upgrade it to a Dell Poweredge 2850, and still running 
>> Exchange 2003 but sp2.
>>
>>
>> "John Oliver, Jr. [MVP]" <jcoliverjr@hotmail.com> wrote in message 
>> news:OWZy%239kPHHA.3872@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>>> This really depends on the version you currently have and the version 
>>> you are upgrading to.  Can you clarify?
>>>
>>> -- 
>>> John Oliver, Jr
>>> MCSE, MCT, CCNA
>>> Exchange MVP 2007
>>> Microsoft Certified Partner
>>>
>>> "Nutzer" <helo@hotmail.com> wrote in message 
>>> news:r5GdnYCUZ-gqbynYnZ2dnUVZ_sOknZ2d@giganews.com...
>>>> All,
>>>>
>>>> I'm in the process of planning an upgrade for my Exchange server. I've 
>>>> searched and read on how I should go about this task, and I've settled 
>>>> on buying another server, build another Exchange server in my domain, 
>>>> test it, and slowly move my mailbox from the old server to the new 
>>>> server.
>>>>
>>>> Any pitfalls i should be aware of? Do you think this is a good plan? 
>>>> I've read somwhere that installing another Exchange server in the same 
>>>> domain might cause some problems, cause it messes with the schema and 
>>>> what not.
>>>> Any opinions, thoughts and ideas is greatly appreciated!
>>>>
>>>> Thanks!
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
> 


0
helo (15)
1/22/2007 10:45:06 PM
Yes, you can leave the old Exchange Server running for as long as you want 
with the new Exchange Server.  Its usually good practice, as you suggested, 
to leave it running for few days before removing it from the domain.

-- 
John Oliver, Jr
MCSE, MCT, CCNA
Exchange MVP 2007
Microsoft Certified Partner

"Nutzer" <helo@hotmail.com> wrote in message 
news:JPSdne1GuaaNoyjYnZ2dnUVZ_rCsnZ2d@giganews.com...
> John,
>
> Thanks for the tips and reply!!  Do I have to take down the old Exchange 
> server all in one shot?  I would like to have both running at the same 
> time maybe a day or two, just to make sure the new Exchange server is all 
> good to go.  I would like to make the necessary changes to the firewall, 
> router before hand and have both running from my network/domain and slowly 
> move the mailbox over.  Is that a good idea or no?
>
> Thanks!
>
>
>
> "John Oliver, Jr. [MVP]" <jcoliverjr@hotmail.com> wrote in message 
> news:Ok60jOnPHHA.3344@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>> Ok, install the new Exchange Server into your current domain.  When 
>> completed, use the Move Mailbox Wizard in ADUC to move user mailboxes. 
>> Then follow, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822931.  When you have 
>> finished removing the first Exchange 2003 Server, update your 
>> Firewall/Router NAT's for SMTP, OWA, SSL, etc to the new internal IP of 
>> the Exchange Server.
>>
>> -- 
>> John Oliver, Jr
>> MCSE, MCT, CCNA
>> Exchange MVP 2007
>> Microsoft Certified Partner
>>
>> "Nutzer" <helo@hotmail.com> wrote in message 
>> news:mIudnV8Rcc53kCjYnZ2dnUVZ_vmqnZ2d@giganews.com...
>>> Yes!  The current version I have is Exchange 2003 sp1.  And the reason 
>>> why I'm upgrading is because of the hardware on the current server is 
>>> old, going to upgrade it to a Dell Poweredge 2850, and still running 
>>> Exchange 2003 but sp2.
>>>
>>>
>>> "John Oliver, Jr. [MVP]" <jcoliverjr@hotmail.com> wrote in message 
>>> news:OWZy%239kPHHA.3872@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>>>> This really depends on the version you currently have and the version 
>>>> you are upgrading to.  Can you clarify?
>>>>
>>>> -- 
>>>> John Oliver, Jr
>>>> MCSE, MCT, CCNA
>>>> Exchange MVP 2007
>>>> Microsoft Certified Partner
>>>>
>>>> "Nutzer" <helo@hotmail.com> wrote in message 
>>>> news:r5GdnYCUZ-gqbynYnZ2dnUVZ_sOknZ2d@giganews.com...
>>>>> All,
>>>>>
>>>>> I'm in the process of planning an upgrade for my Exchange server. I've 
>>>>> searched and read on how I should go about this task, and I've settled 
>>>>> on buying another server, build another Exchange server in my domain, 
>>>>> test it, and slowly move my mailbox from the old server to the new 
>>>>> server.
>>>>>
>>>>> Any pitfalls i should be aware of? Do you think this is a good plan? 
>>>>> I've read somwhere that installing another Exchange server in the same 
>>>>> domain might cause some problems, cause it messes with the schema and 
>>>>> what not.
>>>>> Any opinions, thoughts and ideas is greatly appreciated!
>>>>>
>>>>> Thanks!
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
> 


0
jcoliverjr (1013)
1/23/2007 5:42:08 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

How do you check out a file from a link
I have received a link to an excel file stored in a SharePoint library. When I open the file the option to 'check out the file' does not appear at the top of my screen. This function does work for a word document in the same library. Please can you advise. Thanks With your browser, go to the Library where the document is located and check out from there. --rms www.rmschneider.com On 16/04/10 15:44, Tracey T wrote: > I have received a link to an excel file stored in a SharePoint library. When > I open the file the option to 'check out the fi...

Exchange Calendar integration with WSS, 2 new ideas, need feedback
I have posted in the past for help with resolving the following scenario: Windows 2003 WSS WIndows 2003 w/ Exchange 2003 Windows XP SP2 clients Office 2003 sp1 http://intranet is the top level site, with each department having their own subsite http://intranet/<dept>. Each department site has an events calendar. Each department has a designated user responsible for the calendar. Using Side-by-side calendaring a user CAN drag from the Sharepoint calendar onto their personal calendar. HOWEVER, users CAN NOT create an event in Outlook and Drag to the sharepoint calendar. Because this...

Exchange 2003 Queue problem
My internal mail MS 2003 server - users being authenticated by the DC/DNS - has on occasion stopped sending messages? What I have done, a couple of times now, is re-start the Exchange Server (I have stopped and re-started services with on luck!). After re-starting all works just fine! Is anyone else running into this problem and might you know what is causing it? Thanks ahead. What does the SMTP protocol log say? -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "John Leonard - Sage" <sagegrp@adelphia.net> wrote in messag...

How to find outside hostname of internal exchange server
I am trying to setup activesync but can't seem to get the right server name. Is there somewhere on the exchange box where I can find this info or do I need to get onto the router/firewall and see where mail is being sent? I am getting error 0x80072EE7 when trying to sync from the device. In news:Pine.LNX.4.64.0702261401320.14766@rob-campbell.com, Rob Campbell <poohba@rob-campbell.com> typed: > I am trying to setup activesync but can't seem to get the right server > name. It's whatever public A record exists for your domain, that points at the appropriate public I...

offsite server connection
why are outlook clients in the local site connecting to an offsite exchange server for public folders access? this is what I find when I check the connection log from the local outlokk client all outlook clients are all office 2007sp2, servers are all 2007sp2 public folders are not replicated between servers is there something I can do to make sure all local outlook clients are all connecting to the onsite XC server? thnx That can happen if: - The local site doesn't have a public folder server - Active Directory sites are misconfigured and Exchange is not in ...

Error in Exchange 5.5 Public Folder access via Outlook 2000
Hi We're running Exchange 5.5 SP4 on NT4, with the May 2004 rollup (841765 - Store.exe and Mdbmsg.dll = 5.5.2658.4) Outlook 2003 clients can access a shared Public Folders contacts list fine through the Address Book application, but Outlook 2000 users can't. Both groups can see and manipulate the actual folder OK, it's just the Address Book that's not working (either through the Address Book icon, or through creating a new mail and clicking on the "To" button and selecting the folder from there). Outlook 2000 users see a blank list, with the slider on the right siz...

Exchange 5.5 to 2003 Migration Question #3
Hello, We are currently migrating users to Exchange 2003 from 5.5. The 5.5 server is located here and the new 2003 server is located in a different office. One user (who we have moved already) is trying to access and user's calendar, but that user is still on 5.5. They are getting the following error: unable to display the folder. The information store could not be opened Any ideas on how to make the user on 2003 (running Outlook 2003) connect to the user's calendar on the 5.5 server? The user has the "Owner" permission on the 5.5 calendar. Thanks! ...

moving exchange 5.5 server to a different domain
I have an exchange 5.5 site with 3 servers in it. They are NT 4.0 and Exchange 5.5 They are all in domain a. There is a two way trust with domain a and domain b. I need to move one of the servers from domain a to domain b. Since I have permissions via the trust to the exchange services site acct. , is this as easy as removing the server from domain a and adding it to domain b, then bringing exchange services back up? Or is there a set procedure that should be followed? "=?Utf-8?B?Y2dsYWR5MjAwMA==?=" <cglady2000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:1A7E7702-914A-...

Money Upgrade #3
Trying to upgrade from Money 2000 to Money 2004. When it tries to update the data file I get the message "Money cannot locate filename or cannot open it, possibly because it is read only file, you do not have permission to change it, or your disk drive is write protected......". I have run the Money repair tool and the salvage program. Each indicates thet the file has no problems. However it will not update the file for use by 2004. Any helpful tips?? Thanks in advance Right click on your money file, select properties, and de-select the read-only check box. "BobR&q...

My Exchange tabs are missing on my =?windows-1252?Q?DC=92s=2E?=
I have a new setup with 3 servers. Two domain controllers (windows 2003 std R2) One Exchange Std 2003 (not a DC only a member server.) If I create a new user on the exchange server, the wizard ends up creating an email address. If I do that on one of the DCs it just creates a user with no email. I have exchange tabs on the exchange server but not on the DCs. Everything during exchange install went well, but have I done anything wrong? There was a warning once telling me that this version on exchange could have problems with the windows version I am using. Is there a problem with Windows ...

Setting up Exchange 2003 in a new environment
Hi Guys/Gals, I need some guidance as I am preparing to setup a new domain and exchange enviroment. this company currently has no internal domain structure, and no email structure at all. however their website/domain is being hosted through service provider, which has included a certain # of email accounts that can be used, via POP3 and SMTP. for these email addresses to work with the new exchange, what are some of the steps that I need to ensure that I use, in order for email to properly work internally and externally? I know that I need to have a DC structure put into place first, with ...

ActiveSync with front-end server
First the scenario: I just upgraded the organization from on Exchange server to three, two back-end and one front-end. We support internal users (Outlook and Entourage, no POP or IMAP), and external and mobile users connecting via RPC over HTTPS, ActiveSync, and OWA. Everything was working fine until I added the front-end, and now the iPaqs are getting certificate errors. Setting certchk.exe OFF has worked to get most of the phones receiving mail now, but I want to fix the problem properly. I have tried configuring a second virtual server as described in this article: http://www.mse...

there was an error reading the rules from the server
I'm getting this error when i try to run the "oiut of the office assistent". any idia? I run Outlook 2000 with Exchange server. Thanks Ronnie ...

C002001B during checking for updates
I had a a few bad sectors on my boot drive. A data recovery service recovered all but 12 files, which I have a list of. here is what I did. 1) run the installation repair twice - got the 80070424 err trying to do windows update. 2) copied the following files from an older backup to windows/system32 rasdlg.dll wlanui.dll 3) reboot. now I get C002001B in windows update Problem signature Problem Event Name: APPCRASH Application Name: SLsvc.exe Application Version: 6.0.6002.18005 Application Timestamp: 49e02e64 Fault Module Name: StackHash_0d0f Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0 Fa...

MS CRM 3.0 and Exchange Server 2000
I have a query regarding installation of CRM E-mail Router. I have a MS CRM 3.0 installed on a Windows 2003 Server, we're using a Exchange Server 2000 on W2K Server SP4, can I install the Router on the Exchange Server 2000? check the implementaiton guide, it gives you system requirements "John Ding" wrote: > I have a query regarding installation of CRM E-mail Router. I have a MS CRM > 3.0 installed on a Windows 2003 Server, we're using a Exchange Server 2000 on > W2K Server SP4, can I install the Router on the Exchange Server 2000? > > > I have...

check printing
All of a sudden I am getting an error message that says "spool file is missing" and I can't print checks! Any one have any idea? Tried reinstalling, prints anything else out of money just not my checks. ...

Cannot Edit Checked Out Documents
We are using Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 2.0, and our site (of which I am administrator) has Word 2007 documents on it. When I check out a document and then open it, it opens in Word with the following message bar at the top: "Server document: A newer version is available. To modify this workbook, open the latest version or save a copy." And I am unable to make any edits in the document. There is a button to save the document, but of course it only saves it unchanged. I checked that the date & time is correct on the server and my own computer. I h...

MFC SMTP Server and Exchange server on one network
I have a Canon MFC that is supposed to send scanned documents by email to recipients in house. All was working fine until I installed an SBS Exchange server on site. Formerly the MFC was sending emails to their ISPs email server from where they would POP it. This mechanism still works in spite of me setting the Pri DNS to the Exchange Server. Not too clear on all this but if someone could outline the steps of having both Exchange and the MFC SMTP servers running on the same network so the MFC server sends the emails to the Exchange server, I would be much obliged. Regards, fredblah If th...

adding additional attributes not working with exchange 2003
Hi all, I'm still learning and have approx. 10 scripts that do what I need them to do, but now Boss wants exports to include either sAMAccountName, or legacyExchangeDN, or mailNickname? I have tried to include those attributes and I'm assuming because they are not in the same class is why they are not retrieving the data. I"m hoping someone will be able to help me figure this out. Thanks, J0seg I know...it would help if I show you the script I currently have... $day = Get-Date -UFormat "%Y%m%d" $computers = "exch02","exch03" G...

Leaving messages on server
Where do I select the option to leave messages on server so I can view them on another computer? In the advanced properties of your POP mail account settings. Without knowing your version of Outlook, hard to tell you more. Troy wrote: > Where do I select the option to leave messages on server > so I can view them on another computer? ...

New server question
I just installed a new exchange server on my network and it seems to work great for reciving and sending external mail but the users on the old server can not send mail to users on the new server. They are both in the same domain. I have check the relay restrinctions and nothing pops out at me. users get an error that says: Relaying denied. Proper authentication required TIA these servers are in the same routing group? -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "Josh" <Jsawyer@insightbb.com> wrote in message news:eICByC66FHA.4036@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > I just installed a new ex...

Check box #8
In Excel: How can I make Checkbox on each row? Thanks -- accessman ----------------------------------------------------------------------- accessman2's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2795 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=47498 Hi Accessman, Using VBA, try: '=============>> Sub InsertCheckBoxes() Dim rng As Range Dim c As Range Set rng = Range("A1:A20") '<<====== CHANGE Application.ScreenUpdating = False For Each c In rng.Cells With ActiveSheet.Chec...

Where's Exchange 2000 version info?
What are the steps you take to find Exchange 2000 version information? Start Exchange System Manager, go into Administrative Groups, expand servers, right click on the server in question and choose properties. Version info is on the General Tab "Rwh5757" <Rwh5757@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:457A5BEE-286C-4261-B491-A9CD83141808@microsoft.com... > What are the steps you take to find Exchange 2000 version information? ...

CRM Exchange Email Router wont install
I have CRM server installed on machine "A", the DataBase on Machine "B" and now i want to install the Exchange Email Router on Machine "c". I was previosly installed on machine "C", it was uninstalled and now i get the following error when trying to reinstall on "C": --------------------------- Microsoft CRM-Exchange E-Mail Router Setup --------------------------- One or more of the Microsoft CRM servers you listed is invalid or you do not have administrator privileges on that server. Make sure that all servers are running properly and...

Exchange #7
I am running Small Business Server 2003, how can I tell for sure which version of exchange I have? Any help would be great, -budding IT enthusiast Hi, Try this link http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;158530 "Bruno" wrote: > I am running Small Business Server 2003, how can I tell > for sure which version of exchange I have? Any help would > be great, > -budding IT enthusiast > ...