Aaarggh! Cache mode problems again!

I know there's a fix out there for this one, i just can't find it on MS's
web site.  For users who are running Outlook2k3 with cached exchange mode,
new entries in the GAL do not appear.  Users who don't use cached exchange
mode or who use OWA can see the new addresses just fine.  If cached exchange
mode users temporarily turn this feature off, they can once again see all
the new addresses.

Does anyone know where Microsoft hid the hotfix for this one?  I'm thinking
that it must've been overwritten during a recent round of patching and
updating.

Thanks.

0
jim3476 (230)

There is no "hotfix".  It is normal behavior.  Outlook 2003 cached mode uses
the Default Offline Address Book as it's "GAL".  Exchange by default only
re-generates the Offline Address Book once per day by default.  In this
scenario, Outlook 2003 users may not see new additions for a day or two
(depending on settings).  You can change some of this behavior using this KB
article, but it may not have the effect you desire.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;831124

The other method is to go into ESM and force a rebuild of the Offline
Address Book, then in Outlook re-download the address book under the
Send/Receive options.

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

"jim" <jim@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
>I know there's a fix out there for this one, i just can't find it on MS's
> web site.  For users who are running Outlook2k3 with cached exchange mode,
> new entries in the GAL do not appear.  Users who don't use cached exchange
> mode or who use OWA can see the new addresses just fine.  If cached
> exchange
> mode users temporarily turn this feature off, they can once again see all
> the new addresses.
>
> Does anyone know where Microsoft hid the hotfix for this one?  I'm
> thinking
> that it must've been overwritten during a recent round of patching and
> updating.
>
> Thanks.

0
Ben
10/20/2004 6:45:27 PM
Re-downloading the address book under send/receive does nothing.

I distinctly recall having this problem before and Microsoft provided a fix
for it.

The reg entry in the article you sent does not exist in my registry.  It
stops at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook..
(no "cached mode" entry after that)

"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" <ben_winzenz@NOSPAMdotmessageonedotcom> wrote
in message news:eIiz4TttEHA.3860@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> There is no "hotfix".  It is normal behavior.  Outlook 2003 cached mode
uses
> the Default Offline Address Book as it's "GAL".  Exchange by default only
> re-generates the Offline Address Book once per day by default.  In this
> scenario, Outlook 2003 users may not see new additions for a day or two
> (depending on settings).  You can change some of this behavior using this
KB
> article, but it may not have the effect you desire.
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;831124
>
> The other method is to go into ESM and force a rebuild of the Offline
> Address Book, then in Outlook re-download the address book under the
> Send/Receive options.
>
> --
> Ben Winzenz
> Exchange MVP
>

> "jim" <jim@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> >I know there's a fix out there for this one, i just can't find it on MS's
> > web site.  For users who are running Outlook2k3 with cached exchange
mode,
> > new entries in the GAL do not appear.  Users who don't use cached
exchange
> > mode or who use OWA can see the new addresses just fine.  If cached
> > exchange
> > mode users temporarily turn this feature off, they can once again see
all
> > the new addresses.
> >
> > Does anyone know where Microsoft hid the hotfix for this one?  I'm
> > thinking
> > that it must've been overwritten during a recent round of patching and
> > updating.
> >
> > Thanks.

0
jim3476 (230)
10/20/2004 7:04:40 PM
You have to re-generate the Offline Address book from within Exchange before
you re-download it from Outlook, otherwise as you so eloquently stated, it
does nothing.

If you don't have the entry in your registry, simply create the folder on
the left, then you can add the entry.  For what it's worth, I don't have it
either.

While you may distincly recall having this problem before, I am not aware of
any hotfix that has been provided, because as stated before, it is normal
behavior.  As detailed earlier, Exchange only rebuilds the Offline Address
Book (which cached mode Outlook uses) once per day.  Thus, any new users
that you create will not show up in the Offline Address Book until Exchange
has rebuilt it.  You can force Exchange to rebuild the OAB manually in ESM
and then re-download the OAB, or you can simply delete the current local OAB
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555207 is another
article detailing a change you can make to force Outlook to use the online
GAL instead of the offline one.  Again, this is not a hotfix, rather a
simple registry change.

Hope this helps.

--

> Re-downloading the address book under send/receive does nothing.
>
> I distinctly recall having this problem before and Microsoft provided a
> fix
> for it.
>
> The reg entry in the article you sent does not exist in my registry.  It
> stops at
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook..
> (no "cached mode" entry after that)
>

> "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" <ben_winzenz@NOSPAMdotmessageonedotcom> wrote
> in message news:eIiz4TttEHA.3860@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> There is no "hotfix".  It is normal behavior.  Outlook 2003 cached mode
> uses
>> the Default Offline Address Book as it's "GAL".  Exchange by default only
>> re-generates the Offline Address Book once per day by default.  In this
>> scenario, Outlook 2003 users may not see new additions for a day or two
>> (depending on settings).  You can change some of this behavior using this
> KB
>> article, but it may not have the effect you desire.
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;831124
>>
>> The other method is to go into ESM and force a rebuild of the Offline
>> Address Book, then in Outlook re-download the address book under the
>> Send/Receive options.
>>
>> --
>> Ben Winzenz
>> Exchange MVP
>>

>> "jim" <jim@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
>> >I know there's a fix out there for this one, i just can't find it on
>> >MS's
>> > web site.  For users who are running Outlook2k3 with cached exchange
> mode,
>> > new entries in the GAL do not appear.  Users who don't use cached
> exchange
>> > mode or who use OWA can see the new addresses just fine.  If cached
>> > exchange
>> > mode users temporarily turn this feature off, they can once again see
> all
>> > the new addresses.
>> >
>> > Does anyone know where Microsoft hid the hotfix for this one?  I'm
>> > thinking
>> > that it must've been overwritten during a recent round of patching and
>> > updating.
>> >
>> > Thanks.

0
Ben
10/20/2004 7:40:27 PM
Sorry, but i created the folder and added the entry as you suggested, but it
"did nothing".

This is now a company wide problem (again).  I doubt that Microsoft intended
for this to be "normal behavior".  You're essentially telling corporate
users employing cached mode to wait 24 hours before an address can be
accessed.  I understand that you know of no hotfix for this, but it's at
least worth checking around on.  Perhaps it sounds familiar to one of your
colleagues?  The idea of cache mode is that folders are always
updating/synchronizing.  The GAL should be part of this process.

"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" <ben_winzenz@NOSPAMdotmessageonedotcom> wrote
in message news:epcFoyttEHA.636@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> [...]
wrote
> > in message news:eIiz4TttEHA.3860@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> >> There is no "hotfix".  It is normal behavior.  Outlook 2003 cached mode
> > uses
> >> the Default Offline Address Book as it's "GAL".  Exchange by default
only
> >> re-generates the Offline Address Book once per day by default.  In this
> >> scenario, Outlook 2003 users may not see new additions for a day or two
> >> (depending on settings).  You can change some of this behavior using
this
> > KB
> >> article, but it may not have the effect you desire.
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;831124
> >>
> >> The other method is to go into ESM and force a rebuild of the Offline
> >> Address Book, then in Outlook re-download the address book under the

0
jim3476 (230)
10/20/2004 8:05:36 PM
I dont thinkyou are reading his posts.  When using cache mode you are not
using the gal.  you are using the offline address book which is updated by
the gal on a daily basis.  If you want it updated more often create a policy
and update it more often.

> [...]
>> article detailing a change you can make to force Outlook to use the
>> online
>> GAL instead of the offline one.  Again, this is not a hotfix, rather a
>> simple registry change.
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> --
>> Ben Winzenz
>> Exchange MVP
>>

>> "jim" <jim@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
>> > Re-downloading the address book under send/receive does nothing.
>> >
>> > I distinctly recall having this problem before and Microsoft provided a
>> > fix
>> > for it.
>> >
>> > The reg entry in the article you sent does not exist in my registry.
>> > It
>> > stops at
>> > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook..

0
spam9646 (6)
10/20/2004 8:32:33 PM
I read the post, i just figured that cache mode was updating all the info,
including changes to the gal.  Why wouldn't it if the client is online?
What troubles me is that even after adding the separate registry entry (per
the technet article he provided), it's still not seeing newly created
addresses.

"Malic" <spam@houston.rr.spam> wrote in message
> [...]
normal
> >> behavior.  As detailed earlier, Exchange only rebuilds the Offline
> >> Address
> >> Book (which cached mode Outlook uses) once per day.  Thus, any new
users
> >> that you create will not show up in the Offline Address Book until
> > Exchange
> >> has rebuilt it.  You can force Exchange to rebuild the OAB manually in
> >> ESM
> >> and then re-download the OAB, or you can simply delete the current
local
> > OAB
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555207 is
another
> >> article detailing a change you can make to force Outlook to use the
> >> online
> >> GAL instead of the offline one.  Again, this is not a hotfix, rather a

0
jim3476 (230)
10/20/2004 8:40:47 PM
If you dont see newly created addresses try running/rebuilding the RUS
(Recipient update service).  then see what happens.  Youy might need to
change the policy to update this hourly.

>I read the post, i just figured that cache mode was updating all the info,
> including changes to the gal.  Why wouldn't it if the client is online?
> What troubles me is that even after adding the separate registry entry
> (per
> the technet article he provided), it's still not seeing newly created
> addresses.
>

> "Malic" <spam@houston.rr.spam> wrote in message
>> I dont thinkyou are reading his posts.  When using cache mode you are not
>> using the gal.  you are using the offline address book which is updated
>> by
>> the gal on a daily basis.  If you want it updated more often create a
> policy
>> and update it more often.
>>

>> "jim" <jim@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
>> > Sorry, but i created the folder and added the entry as you suggested,
> but
>> > it
>> > "did nothing".
>> >
>> > This is now a company wide problem (again).  I doubt that Microsoft
>> > intended
>> > for this to be "normal behavior".  You're essentially telling corporate
>> > users employing cached mode to wait 24 hours before an address can be
>> > accessed.  I understand that you know of no hotfix for this, but it's
>> > at
>> > least worth checking around on.  Perhaps it sounds familiar to one of
> your
>> > colleagues?  The idea of cache mode is that folders are always
>> > updating/synchronizing.  The GAL should be part of this process.
>> >
>> > "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" <ben_winzenz@NOSPAMdotmessageonedotcom>
> wrote
>> > in message news:epcFoyttEHA.636@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> > before

> on
> have
>> > it

> aware
>> > of
> normal
> users
>> > Exchange
> local
>> > OAB
> another

>> > wrote
>> > only
>> > this

> Offline

> on
> exchange
> cached

>> > and

0
spam9646 (6)
10/20/2004 9:07:23 PM
Dear Jim,

Thank you for posting here. Thanks Ben for sharing experience.

From your post, my understanding on this issue is: In Outlook 2003 Cached
Mode, the new Global Address Book information is not shown immediately. If
I'm off base, please feel free to let me know.

I completely agree with Ben. The behavior is caused by the Cached mode
which is the new feature in Outlook 2003. When you are running in cached
mode, your Exchange mailbox is synchronized to a local file (an .ost file),
and the offline address list from your Exchange computer is synchronized to
a collection of files (.oab files) on your client computer. Outlook
directly accesses the .ost file and the .oab files on your hard disk
instead of communicating directly with your server or servers.

By default, Outlook 2003 in cached mode automatically updates the Offline
Address Book on the client every 24 hours. The 24-hour time period is
measured from the time that the Offline Address Book was last downloaded
successfully. Even though you manually downloading the Offline Address Book
by clicking send/receive button in Outlook 2003, it will not download the
latest update in GAB because the file Changes.oab which records the change
in GAB has not been updated. In the situation, we need to rebuild Offline
Address Book first as I listed in Suggestion 2. Then we can manually
download the latest OAB again.

For more information about Outlook Offline Address Book, please refer to
the following article.

Administering the Offline Address Book in Outlook 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;841273

Fortunately, I would like to provide the following two suggestions to
implement the update immediately. Suggestion 1 is preferred one for your
situation.

Suggestion 1
==========
We can modify the registry to forced Outlook to use GAL instead of using
Offline Address Book, which will make your Outlook 2003 able to update the
address book immediately.

Note: In this configuration, you will be unable to use Address Book if you
are working offline. However, it is a recommended configuration if the
Outlook and the Exchange server are located in the same subnet.

1. On the client machine, click Start, click Run, type regedit in the open
box and press Enter.
2. Create a new key if it does not exist:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Cached Mode
Parameter: DownloadOAB
Type: REG_DWORD
Value: 0x00000000

- This value forces all directory requests to access the online Active
Directory Global Address List.

3. Quit Registry
4. Perform a search for the .OAB files and delete them.
5. Restart Outlook.

Note: If Offline Address Book files have been already downloaded and
associated with your MAPI profile, this setting will not have the correct
effect. To use Cached Exchange Mode with a full online Active Directory,
you must set this parameter and remove any .oab files from the local
computer.

Suggestion 2
==========
We can rebuild Offline Address Book and force the Outlook to perform a
complete download of whole Address book. To do so, please follow the steps
below.

Rebuild Offline Address Book
---------------------------
1. Open Exchange System Manager
2. Navigate to <Organization name>\Recipients\Offline Address book lists\
3. Right click on the default offline address list and select Rebuild.

Download Address book
------------------------
1. Open Outlook 2003.
2. Click Tools menu, point to Send/Receive and click Download Address Book��
3. Clear Download Changes since last Send/Receive checkbox.
4. Select Full Details.
5. Choose \Global Address List and click OK.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other concerns or
questions. Thanks and have a nice day!

Thanks & Regards,

Lee Li
Microsoft Online Partner Support

v-leeli (179)
10/21/2004 3:07:09 AM
The addresses still aren't showing up and i did increase the update times to
every half hour.  What concerns me is that even after i made the suggested
registry changes (to force Outlook to read directly from the GAL), it still
doesn't work.

What are the risks involved in rebuilding the OAB?  Can it be done during
the day?  Will it cause any headaches for the end users?

"Lee Li [MSFT]" <v-leeli@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> We can rebuild Offline Address Book and force the Outlook to perform a
> complete download of whole Address book. To do so, please follow the steps
> below.
>
> Rebuild Offline Address Book
> ---------------------------
> 1. Open Exchange System Manager
> 2. Navigate to <Organization name>\Recipients\Offline Address book lists\
> 3. Right click on the default offline address list and select Rebuild.
>
> Download Address book
> ------------------------
> 1. Open Outlook 2003.
> 2. Click Tools menu, point to Send/Receive and click Download Address
Book��
> 3. Clear Download Changes since last Send/Receive checkbox.
> 4. Select Full Details.
> 5. Choose \Global Address List and click OK.
>
> Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other concerns or

0
jim3476 (230)
10/21/2004 1:26:40 PM
Hi Jim,

Thanks for your update. I would like to answer your questions as below.

First, if you don't encounter such issue during Outlook 2003 Online Mode,
actually user will not encounter issue for GAL after changing the following
registry.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Cached Mode
Parameter: DownloadOAB
Type: REG_DWORD
Value: 0x00000000

The mechanism of the registry is to force Outlook query GAL from GC instead
of local OAB file.

Second, I may have not made my points clear in last thread, so I state as
below again.

In Outlook 2003 cached mode, the Outlook will download full version of OAB
during first login. And it will automatically updates the Offline Address
Book on the client every 24 hours. When domain administrator makes any
changes in the attribute of user object, the key point is that Offline
Address Book in Exchange Server will also update every 24 hours unless you
manually Rebuild Offline Address Book in ESM as I mentioned in last thread.
This means basically that your customer may get the latest Offline Address
Book within 24-48 hours. So if you prefer use this method, you need to
follow the steps below to ensure Outlook Client Side with the latest GAL
even in Exchange Cached Mode.

In the situation you described, I suggest you perform the following step.

1. Every time domain administrator makes any changes in User Object
attribute, after that, please follow steps below to manually rebuild OAB.
This will force update in Active Directory and decrease 24 hours to update
OAB in Exchange Server Side.

Rebuild Offline Address Book
---------------------------
1). Open Exchange System Manager
2). Navigate to <Organization name>\Recipients\Offline Address book lists\
3). Right click on the default offline address list and select Rebuild.

2. Then you tell your customer every time they would like to get the latest
user information, follow steps below to manually download Address book.
This will force the downloading of update in Server Side, and decrease 24
hours to update OAB in Outlook Client Side.

Download Address book
------------------------
1). Open Outlook 2003.
2). Click Tools menu, point to Send/Receive and click Download Address
Book��
3). Clear Download Changes since last Send/Receive checkbox.
4). Select Full Details.
5). Choose \Global Address List and click OK.

This will guarantee all your customers could get the latest OAB as they
want when they are online. And even when they are offline, they can access
the cached OAB in local disk.

Hope this helps. If there is anything unclear or I can do, feel free to let
me know. Thanks and have a nice day!

BTW, in order to avoid confusion, let's focus on the post in the queue
microsoft.public.exchange.admin, and please don't reply all duplicated
posts in the following queues.

microsoft.public.exchange2000.misc
microsoft.public.exchange2000.admin
microsoft.public.exchange.misc
microsoft.public.exchange2000.general
microsoft.public.exchange.setup

Thanks & Regards,

Lee Li
Microsoft Online Partner Support

v-leeli (179)
10/22/2004 3:19:58 AM
I just wanted to say that I experienced the same synchronization issue with
the GAL for clients using cached mode with Outlook 2003 and that I was able
to follow the steps outlined in "Suggestion 2" with success. While I find the
process somewhat cumbersome given that almost all other mailbox elements
appear to synchronize in near real time I guess I can understand the design
reason for this behavior given that many organizations may have a very large
GAL (ours has less that 150 entries so this is not really a concern).

I feel better now understanding why my server side updates were taking 1 - 2
days for cached Outlook clients. Thanks for the information.

"Lee Li [MSFT]" wrote:

> [...]
> hours to update OAB in Outlook Client Side.
>
> Download Address book
> ------------------------
> 1). Open Outlook 2003.
> 2). Click Tools menu, point to Send/Receive and click Download Address
> Book¡­
> 3). Clear Download Changes since last Send/Receive checkbox.
> 4). Select Full Details.
> 5). Choose \Global Address List and click OK.
>
> This will guarantee all your customers could get the latest OAB as they
> want when they are online. And even when they are offline, they can access
> the cached OAB in local disk.
>
> Hope this helps. If there is anything unclear or I can do, feel free to let
> me know. Thanks and have a nice day!
>
> BTW, in order to avoid confusion, let's focus on the post in the queue
> microsoft.public.exchange.admin, and please don't reply all duplicated

LCGMURRAY (3)
10/27/2004 9:43:03 PM
Hi Customer,

Thank you for the update and the additional information. I am very glad my
information helpful. It is really nice to work with you.

Should you have any other technical questions in the future, please don't
hesitate to let us know by posting in our newsgroups. It's always our
pleasure to be of assistance.

Have a nice day!

Lee Li

0
v-leeli (179)
10/28/2004 7:12:10 AM
We are experiencing a similar issue but on a grander scale. We have
5000 users half on lotus notes half on Outlook 2003. When we migrate
people from notes To outlook everyone in outlook that is running in
cached mode which is at least 2000 people has issues emailing the
person that moved from notes to Outlook. Basically the local gal
cache's their address as notes users and the emails sent to them
disapears. We cannot implement client fixes like some of what is
described for over 2000 people.

Our Management is not happy with the fact it may take 24-48 hrs after
these users are migrated for people on Outlook to be able to email
them. We are going to be migrating some of our Execs soon. How do I
explain to our CEO that over 2000 outlook users are going to have
issues emailing them after they migrate and at best they will have to
wait 24-48 hrs to get emails from them? We have also seen that the
local nk2 file simply will never update a migrated users address no
matter if we manually update the off line address book after it has
been refreshed on the server. We need a quick easy to implement fix
for this that will not require going to over 2000 user desktops.

So far MS has not been very helpfull in helping us migrate out of
Lotus Notes and this is another stumbling block.
0
swanlee (3)
11/16/2004 8:39:46 PM
Hi
i just make the suggestions that you give to jim,
i have a similar problem ,posible you can give me a  solution :
here is my scenario:
my DL doenst show up in the gal and  It is appear in the sub list from the
gal
 as example
    I look for  the dl  "me"
    " me " doesn't appear in the offline gal under Global address list
     in my gal, i have following sub list   as example  EUROPE , ASIA etc.
     "Me" is appear  only under for    the GAL sub list EUROPE   in some
clients  with cached mode.

When I don’t use  Cached mode :  it is working fine  and I look for  the DL
"me" in the gal
When I use a new  client ,with a new installation sw installation, it is
working fine with cached mode, when I look for my Dl in the gal.

Now,
When I download manually the gal , in my current client where I have the
problem, it doesn't work, Only when I look in my address book in the sub list
EUROPE , can I see the entry from my DL,
The new installation from Outlook ,it didnt work too
Any suggestion  or  I missed something

I will appreciate your help
Regards
Ronnie

"Lee Li [MSFT]" wrote:

> [...]
> hours to update OAB in Outlook Client Side.
>
> Download Address book
> ------------------------
> 1). Open Outlook 2003.
> 2). Click Tools menu, point to Send/Receive and click Download Address
> Book¡­
> 3). Clear Download Changes since last Send/Receive checkbox.
> 4). Select Full Details.
> 5). Choose \Global Address List and click OK.
>
> This will guarantee all your customers could get the latest OAB as they
> want when they are online. And even when they are offline, they can access
> the cached OAB in local disk.
>
> Hope this helps. If there is anything unclear or I can do, feel free to let
> me know. Thanks and have a nice day!
>
> BTW, in order to avoid confusion, let's focus on the post in the queue
> microsoft.public.exchange.admin, and please don't reply all duplicated

Ron1 (234)

Here is fix for Windows file problems
If you have installed a Windows update and started having problems opening, closing, copying files, see: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.excel.misc&mid=1fe358b1-c8eb-4217-ad2a-4b9fcf741916 ...

Problems with Outlook hanging (possibly CRM1.2 problem)
Hi, Apologies for the cross posting, but I'm not sure which is th ebest newsgroup to help... I'm Running a server with SBS 2003 & exchange. Installed CRM1.2 (at the moment it's only on the server & I can access via the web). I've not yet installed the Outlook client on my laptop. The problem is that I've been experiencing major "hangup" problems when connecting my laptop to the server. Everything works fine until I open up Outlook, then, although I an "ping" the server I am unable to access it either from Outlook to synchronise emails, ...

sort problems
Using Publisher 2000 and mail merge - large input excel files - sort sequence is crucial but does not hold. Doing a 20K pice mailing and addresses print out in basically no sequence at all - I've broken database down to 2000 names at a time - it will print 10 in sequence, skip 20, print 10 in sequence, skip 10 then eventually goes back and randomly picks up skipped addresses. I know the file is sorted going in. With mailings this big, this is a MAJOR problem. Anyone know what's happening here. How to solve? Help from Ed Bennett, MVP Adjust the Mail Merge Batch Size. There is ...

Outlook 2003 offline caching changes
There has been a change in the default behavior of Outlook from version 2000 to 2003 with regard to how the offline cache responds when you have previously synchronized the cache, and then reconnect online (in our situation, it's particularly relevant when connecting over a phone line rather than over a broadband or network connection). We're wondering if there's a way to turn back the clock.. In Outlook 2000, you would connect to the online mailbox, and would view all the headers of all the messages in your Inbox, Deleted Items, etc. (you still had to wait for the head...

Query Problems
I have a table of ecards that is populated from a website and includes receiver, sender, and Team leader. The problem I am having is names can be entered into the table like this "Tom Thumb", but Team leader is a dropdown menu that is constant and lists name like this: "Tom S. Thumb". When I make a query to find all the members of Tom S. Thumb's team, I get everyone except Tom Thumb, who is member too. Tom Thumb has his own higher team leader, so I can't change that. How do I get Tom Thumb to be included when I enter "Tom S. Thumb" as Team Leader? ...

Outlook 2003 viewing problem
We are using Outlook 2003 from the Small Business Edition 2003 software, we have wireless router for our LAN and the modem connected to the router. We have 7 PCs in the Office. The problem is only on one computer, the user is receiving emails from people outside OK, but emails sent internally is another matter. Internal emails although they seem to be being received because the sound alert for new messages happens, but then the message doesn't display in any of the mail boxes. Also sending email from that PC to another internal PC on the LAN is not working. I have checked the ru...

Windows update site problems
So whats happening with the windows update site ?I keep getting a message telling me there is a problem with the web page (am trying to update new installation of XP Home),is it me or the site,and when will it be sorted out? -- Be happy,Strat4axe "stat4axe" <strat4axe@hotmail.com(donotspam)> wrote in message news:36618CFD-EF82-4F82-A7C3-90CF2DDCCEA5@microsoft.com... > So whats happening with the windows update site ?I keep getting a message > telling me there is a problem with the web page (am trying to update new > installation of XP Home),is it me o...

Excel problem, File disappeared.
I created a file in Excel on a WinXP PC that I called pron.xls and saved it in the my documents folder, I then decided to move it and using Windows Commander F6 key (Rename and Move) I attempted to move it to a different folder and rename it to prn.xls at the same time. This process caused the file to disappear!! I now realise that this was because prn.xls is an invalid name. I tried to search for the original and new names but neither existed. There is no sign of it in the recycle bin either. Is there anyway of retreiving the lost data? Steve Barrowcliff As far as I'm aware no....

Strange Problem when closing the database object
Hi All, I have a COM component using which is interacting with the database using the CDAODATABASE class. my applications works fine when i built it with VS6. when i built the application with VS2005, the application is suddently unloaded when i am trying to close the database. my database object is CDaoDatabase *m_DB; when my application calls the following method the component is getting unloaded. STDMETHODIMP CFeatureTable::Close() { AFX_MANAGE_STATE(AfxGetStaticModuleState()) HRESULT hRes = S_OK; if (!m_Initialized) return S_OK; TRY_DAO { // Nee...

Too many problems while updating information online
Several of my accounts are unable to update information online using MS Money 2007 Deluxe - ING Direct - Bestbuy Card (HSBC) - MBNA - Bank of America This is frustrating!! Anyone else with the same problems? Just keep trying, eventually it will work. If you're in a bind, download the QIF or OFX files from the institutions web sites -- B of A works better that way anyway :) Paul McKenna <Paul McKenna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Several of my accounts are unable to update information online using MS Money >2007 Deluxe > >- ING Direct >- Bestbuy Card (HSBC...

Outlook client connect to exchange server 5.5 problem
Outlook client connect to exchange server 5.5, i get the following message box: "The name could not be resolved. The connection to the microsoft exchange server is unavailable. All other clients are able to connect and resolve the mailbox name. I can't ping and resolve the exchange server from the problems outlook client. The problems occur after i run repair the w2k pro. can anyone help? EL can not ping... well start with basic IP testing. use ipconfig /all from a command prompt on the misconfigured client. Check for DHCP default Gateway - make sure it looks like a client t...

FileCopy Problem
I'm using this to copy a file...but it keeps turning red. FileCopy ('\\Backoffice\Data.mdb', '\\Backoffice\Trash') I'm copying Data.mdb to the Trash folder. Gotta be the syntax. Thanks DS Several things appear to be incorrect. First, FileCopy doesn't accept parentheses. Second, \\Backoffice\Data.mdb isn't a valid UNC (you're missing either the server name or the share name) Third, you need a complete file for the destination, not just a folder name. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "DS" &l...

IPicture: problem with transparent
Hello, I have a Win32 project that uses the IPicture class. Here is how I load the picture: OleLoadPicturePath (path, 0, 0, 0x00ffffff, IID_IPicture, (LPVOID *) &pic); everything is fine accept this: the 4th parameter in that function is the color that should be transparent when rendering but it doesn't work. I have a totally white picture and still it draws it. I read in MSDN that only Metafiles and icons can be transparent but even when i made an icon picture it still wasn't transparent. I also confirmed that the picture had the transparent attribute using pic->Get_Attribu...

Access 97 to 2000 conversion problems 08-08-03
I am trying to convert an Access 97 database to Access 2000 but with great difficulty. If I try to load it in Access 2000, the conversion is attempted but on the apparent completion the new database is not saved and the screen is blank. If I try creating a new database and importing everything then this works fine for the data, but no reports or forms are imported. I have tried all the latest patches to MS Office. Any suggestions would be very welcome. ...

Outlook 2003 Folder & Favorite-folder synch/update problems
I've been using Outlook since 1998 and I make my living at software support, so I'm usually hard to stump, but I'm sucking wind on this one. The problems below all started on the remote Outlook copy, so I have to imagine they're connected to the remote setup and OST files. But I've been through the settings and tried to re-synch, cleared the folder store and recreated it, etc., and nothing seems to correct the problems. Can anyone suggest a systematic way to diagnose and fix what's happening? Here's the story: I'm running Outlook 2003 (all current patches: ...

Amazing Problem in AllocPhysMem wince 6.0
Hi I am writing a Port Driver for x86 platform in WinCE 6.0. I want to allocate virtual and equivalent physical memory in driver and mapped it to USER mode to use application. For that I used AllocPhysMem in driver and passed that address through IOCTL calls but i cant use that virtual and physical address in application side. Because AllocPhysMem returns Error Code as 0x57 (meaning Parameter incorrect). But the same code is working in WinCe 5.0. My code snippet is, VirAddress = (LPVOID)AllocPhysMem(32, PAGE_READWRITE|PAGE_NOCACHE, 0, ...

Mismatched Memory -- could this be my problem?
Could mismatched memory modules be the reason why my computer freezes up with some programs? The SIW utility tells me that my two memory modules don't seem to be matched. One is DDR and the other is DDR2. The specs for my ABIT KU8 motherboard call for DDR, not DDR2, if that makes a difference. Here is what the ISW utility shows? MEMORY SUMMARY Maximum Capacity 1024 MBytes Maximum Memory Module Size 4096 Memory Slots 2 Error Correction None DRAM Frequency 163.6 MHz <--- should be 200.07? Memory Timings 3-3-3-7 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS) CAPACITY Slot1 1536MB <--- wrong for K...

Averaging cell's...problems with Div/0
Hi guys. First time poster here so be gentle with me. I am looking fo some assistance averaging a range of 1 to 3 numbers. Here is what I have so far. =(D3+F3+H3)/(IF(C3=0,0,1)+IF(E3=0,0,1)+IF(G3=0,0,1)) This works great. What it does is checks to see if there is a value i the cell, then counts it and divides by the right number. I.E if yo only have two values out of 3 filled in it divides the number by tw instead of 3. My problem... if all 3 fields are 0 then I get a divide by 0 error. Any suggestion on how to fix this? I don't want my spreadsheet to loo messy before I start plu...

Login problem to CRM 3.0
Hi, I installed CRM 3.0 Professional Edition without any error. I can login perfectly from the CRM server either using http://localhost:5555/ or http://appserver:5555/ under the crmadmin user. If I login to an XP workstation with the same user (crmadmin) and specify http://appserver:5555/ in IE6, I got a login window - where I enter the correct DOMAINNAME\crmadmin username and password - and got the following message: "You are not authorized to view this page"..."HTTP Error 401.1 - Unauthorized... I think the prolem is around IIS security, but what shoud be the next step. Th...

Extender problem with GP 10
Hi all, I setup a Dynamics GP 10 system for a customer. The system is used from HRM staff. I used Extender to add a number of extender windows and detail windows. On the Sever all users can access the extender windows but when they login on a separate terminal server (with a client installation) the Extender windows are not accessible. Only the Extender Detail Windows can be seen. When trying to go to the windows all users including sa get the following message: "Not all required fields have been entered for the window <window name>." I went in the extender and opened ...

upload form problem / server question
www.icingpictures.co.uk / win xp / frontpage 2003 Want to create a form with upload file form field - i read on this forum that the server type i use is important - it should be a windows type server with frontpage extensions - i currently use a linux server with front page extensions - do i need to change to a windows server? Thanks for taking a looka t my question. Joyce Yes, you must have a Windows Server, just like you stated you read. -- Tom [Pepper] Willett Microsoft MVP - FrontPage Since 1997 --------------------------- "threademporium" <threademporiu...

outllook 2003 icon problem
I upgraded from outlook 2000 to outlook 2003. My Desktop Icon is the old 2000 icon however all other icons are the new 2003 icon. How can I change my desktop to be the new icon? On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 22:05:36 -0800, "Andre Monostori" <techguy@dslextreme.com> wrote: >I upgraded from outlook 2000 to outlook 2003. My Desktop Icon is the old >2000 icon however all other icons are the new 2003 icon. How can I change >my desktop to be the new icon? > Have you tried deleting it and creating a new one? -- <<<SgtRich>>> Email Client: Microsoft Offi...

Problem causing safe mode startup
I have a problem with Outlook in which everytime it starts I get the error message with the accompanying "do you wnat to let microsoft know about this problem" With either yes or no the next screen is the error message stating that Outlook did not shut down properly and do you want to start in safe mode. A "No" starts the whole cycle over . . .a yes starts it in safe mode with add-ins turned off. I have ran the repair script from the program and from the CD disc. I have uninstalled and reinstalled it as well. Still the same problem and I have not had it befor...

UPDATE KB979202 MS silverlight problem
Hello, I was able to have all updates install, but i'm stuck with this KB979202. When I install it, a box popup (windows Installer) and ask for "enter path to folder containing installlation package silverlight.msi". ??? I try to uninstall silverlight and same message appear and ask for silverlight.msi?? Can anyone help? Thank in advance. By the way, I'm using Windows XP SP3 PRO. "powersupply" <powersupplydot007@gmaildotcom> ���g��l��s�D:O0dCAgz%23KHA.1892@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Hello, > > I was able to have all updates i...

Fill Down Problem
I'm hoping you guys can help me out. I have a basic formula in cell C2 I want to copy the formula down in the cells below. The problem is that when I click the small black box in the corner of the cell to fill down the same number appears and not the result of the adjacent data. Here is the problem illustrated: 2 2 4 2 2 SUM(A1,B1) 2 5 4 2 5 SUM(A2,B2) 1 7 4 1 7 SUM(A3,B3) 3 1 4 3 1 SUM(A4,B4) It is clear that 4 is not the sum of the rows be...