550 5.1.1 user unknown

We have a client that gets the error below intermittently.  I have worked
with this client's IT staff over the phone to help resolve the issue.  The
thing is is that they can send e-mails to us half the time and the other
times they get the message below.  This happens to all users within our
organization with this client.  They client's IT staff seems pretty
comfortable that it is not their end but this is the only client we have
problems with.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be causing
this?  If so, any advice would be appreciated.  thanks!

Sent <<< RCPT TO:<abc@xyz.com>
Received >>> 550 5.1.1 <abs@xyz.com>... user unknown

Unable to deliver message to <abs@xyz.com>.

0
cbsykes (5)

I'd start by looking at your server logs to see if they show the same
errors. I'm assuming the snippet below isn't from your logs but from an NDR.

-Peter

"cbsykes" <cbsykes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have a client that gets the error below intermittently.  I have worked
> with this client's IT staff over the phone to help resolve the issue.  The
> thing is is that they can send e-mails to us half the time and the other
> times they get the message below.  This happens to all users within our
> organization with this client.  They client's IT staff seems pretty
> comfortable that it is not their end but this is the only client we have
> problems with.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be
> causing
> this?  If so, any advice would be appreciated.  thanks!
>
> Sent <<< RCPT TO:<abc@xyz.com>
> Received >>> 550 5.1.1 <abs@xyz.com>... user unknown
>
> Unable to deliver message to <abs@xyz.com>.

0
pdurkee (276)
4/28/2006 9:13:08 PM
I understand the desire to protect e-mail addresses, but in many cases,
obfuscating the actual addresses causes us to be unable to decipher what is
going on.  Can you please post the actual contents of the NDR, including
which server issued the NDR?  With the below data, the only odd thing I see
is that it was sent to abc, but then changes(?) to abs.

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

"cbsykes" <cbsykes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have a client that gets the error below intermittently.  I have worked
> with this client's IT staff over the phone to help resolve the issue.  The
> thing is is that they can send e-mails to us half the time and the other
> times they get the message below.  This happens to all users within our
> organization with this client.  They client's IT staff seems pretty
> comfortable that it is not their end but this is the only client we have
> problems with.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be
> causing
> this?  If so, any advice would be appreciated.  thanks!
>
> Sent <<< RCPT TO:<abc@xyz.com>
> Received >>> 550 5.1.1 <abs@xyz.com>... user unknown
>
> Unable to deliver message to <abs@xyz.com>.

0
Ben
4/28/2006 9:22:15 PM
Please see the actual NDR that our client receives below.  They get these
NDRs about 1 out of every ten to twenty e-mails they send us.  There is no
info. what-so-ever in my Exchange logs.

Thanks.

****** Message from InterScan Messaging Security Suite ******

Sent <<< RCPT TO:<client.services@abs-sca.com>
Received >>> 550 5.1.1 <client.services@abs-sca.com>... user unknown

Unable to deliver message to <client.services@abs-sca.com>.

************************     End of message     **********************

"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:

> I understand the desire to protect e-mail addresses, but in many cases,
> obfuscating the actual addresses causes us to be unable to decipher what is
> going on.  Can you please post the actual contents of the NDR, including
> which server issued the NDR?  With the below data, the only odd thing I see
> is that it was sent to abc, but then changes(?) to abs.
>
> --
> Ben Winzenz
> Exchange MVP
> MessageOne
> Read my blog!
> http://winzenz.blogspot.com
> http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed)
>

> "cbsykes" <cbsykes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > We have a client that gets the error below intermittently.  I have worked
> > with this client's IT staff over the phone to help resolve the issue.  The
> > thing is is that they can send e-mails to us half the time and the other
> > times they get the message below.  This happens to all users within our
> > organization with this client.  They client's IT staff seems pretty
> > comfortable that it is not their end but this is the only client we have
> > problems with.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be
> > causing
> > this?  If so, any advice would be appreciated.  thanks!
> >
> > Sent <<< RCPT TO:<abc@xyz.com>
> > Received >>> 550 5.1.1 <abs@xyz.com>... user unknown
> >
> > Unable to deliver message to <abs@xyz.com>.

0
cbsykes (5)
5/3/2006 1:45:03 PM
Are you using Trend Micro InterScan for Antivirus/Anti-spam?

If so, InterScan appears to be doing some sort of directory lookup.  I'm not
sure how it works - does it maintain a separate directory of valid users, or
is it able to talk to AD.  If the latter, where is your Interscan box?  In a
DMZ, or in your production network?

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

> Please see the actual NDR that our client receives below.  They get these
> NDRs about 1 out of every ten to twenty e-mails they send us.  There is no
> info. what-so-ever in my Exchange logs.
>
> Thanks.
>
> ****** Message from InterScan Messaging Security Suite ******
>

> Sent <<< RCPT TO:<client.services@abs-sca.com>
> Received >>> 550 5.1.1 <client.services@abs-sca.com>... user unknown
>
> Unable to deliver message to <client.services@abs-sca.com>.
>
> ************************     End of message     **********************
>

> "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:
>
>> I understand the desire to protect e-mail addresses, but in many cases,
>> obfuscating the actual addresses causes us to be unable to decipher what
>> is
>> going on.  Can you please post the actual contents of the NDR, including
>> which server issued the NDR?  With the below data, the only odd thing I
>> see
>> is that it was sent to abc, but then changes(?) to abs.
>>
>> --
>> Ben Winzenz
>> Exchange MVP
>> MessageOne
>> Read my blog!
>> http://winzenz.blogspot.com
>> http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed)
>>

>> "cbsykes" <cbsykes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > We have a client that gets the error below intermittently.  I have
>> > worked
>> > with this client's IT staff over the phone to help resolve the issue.
>> > The
>> > thing is is that they can send e-mails to us half the time and the
>> > other
>> > times they get the message below.  This happens to all users within our
>> > organization with this client.  They client's IT staff seems pretty
>> > comfortable that it is not their end but this is the only client we
>> > have
>> > problems with.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be
>> > causing
>> > this?  If so, any advice would be appreciated.  thanks!
>> >
>> > Sent <<< RCPT TO:<abc@xyz.com>
>> > Received >>> 550 5.1.1 <abs@xyz.com>... user unknown
>> >
>> > Unable to deliver message to <abs@xyz.com>.

0
Ben
5/3/2006 2:30:25 PM
Our client is using Trend Micro.  We use GFI Essentials.

"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:

> Are you using Trend Micro InterScan for Antivirus/Anti-spam?
>
> If so, InterScan appears to be doing some sort of directory lookup.  I'm not
> sure how it works - does it maintain a separate directory of valid users, or
> is it able to talk to AD.  If the latter, where is your Interscan box?  In a
> DMZ, or in your production network?
>
> --
> Ben Winzenz
> Exchange MVP
> MessageOne
> Read my blog!
> http://winzenz.blogspot.com
> http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed)
>

> "cbsykes" <cbsykes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Please see the actual NDR that our client receives below.  They get these
> > NDRs about 1 out of every ten to twenty e-mails they send us.  There is no
> > info. what-so-ever in my Exchange logs.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > ****** Message from InterScan Messaging Security Suite ******
> >

> > Sent <<< RCPT TO:<client.services@abs-sca.com>
> > Received >>> 550 5.1.1 <client.services@abs-sca.com>... user unknown
> >
> > Unable to deliver message to <client.services@abs-sca.com>.
> >
> > ************************     End of message     **********************
> >

> > "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> I understand the desire to protect e-mail addresses, but in many cases,
> >> obfuscating the actual addresses causes us to be unable to decipher what
> >> is
> >> going on.  Can you please post the actual contents of the NDR, including
> >> which server issued the NDR?  With the below data, the only odd thing I
> >> see
> >> is that it was sent to abc, but then changes(?) to abs.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ben Winzenz
> >> Exchange MVP
> >> MessageOne
> >> Read my blog!
> >> http://winzenz.blogspot.com
> >> http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed)
> >>

> >> "cbsykes" <cbsykes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
cbsykes (5)
5/3/2006 2:38:02 PM
Ok - the question is still valid, except you need to figure out which server
issued the 550.  If you do not see this on your Exchange server at all (SMTP
Protocol logs), then the only remaining possibility would be that GFI has
it's own SMTP engine that is accepting the e-mail first, scanning it, doing
a directory lookup, and then forwarding it to Exchange.

Can you temporarily take GFI out of the mix and see if the problem persists?
If not, how does GFI do it's directory lookup?  Is it directly querying AD
(best), or is it using it's own file somewhere (not as good)?
--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

> Our client is using Trend Micro.  We use GFI Essentials.
>
> "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Are you using Trend Micro InterScan for Antivirus/Anti-spam?
>>
>> If so, InterScan appears to be doing some sort of directory lookup.  I'm
>> not
>> sure how it works - does it maintain a separate directory of valid users,
>> or
>> is it able to talk to AD.  If the latter, where is your Interscan box?
>> In a
>> DMZ, or in your production network?
>>
>> --
>> Ben Winzenz
>> Exchange MVP
>> MessageOne
>> Read my blog!
>> http://winzenz.blogspot.com
>> http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed)
>>

>> "cbsykes" <cbsykes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Please see the actual NDR that our client receives below.  They get
>> > these
>> > NDRs about 1 out of every ten to twenty e-mails they send us.  There is
>> > no
>> > info. what-so-ever in my Exchange logs.
>> >
>> > Thanks.
>> >
>> > ****** Message from InterScan Messaging Security Suite ******
>> >

>> > Sent <<< RCPT TO:<client.services@abs-sca.com>
>> > Received >>> 550 5.1.1 <client.services@abs-sca.com>... user unknown
>> >
>> > Unable to deliver message to <client.services@abs-sca.com>.
>> >
>> > ************************     End of message     **********************

0
Ben

User can not acces from home the EXchange server
Currently we allow our users to access there email VIA the web using http:yayaya.com/exchange. however one of my user's is unable to log in this way. On-site using outlook he has no problem but when he try's entering his login name and password via the web he gets a message saying username and password are incorrect. For some reason it will not validate his information. Can someone please point me in the right direction. Thanks ...

Removing hyperlinks in Excel by multiplying by 1 is very obtuse
I just followed the Excel help directions for "Remove a hyperlink" -> "Deactivate several hyperlinks at once". And while the directions work (multiplying each field by 1), they strike me an obscure work around to a rather obvious missing feature. It should be easy to remove hyperlinks from text in Excel, especially because Excel is very agressive about auto-creating hyperlinks when any text that resembles a web address is entered. Hopefully this missing feature will be addressed in the next verison of Excel. Hi post your suggestion to: mswish@microsoft.com -- Reg...

2003 recipient policy for exchange 5.5
Can a recipient policy created on 2003 to purge mail in the deleted items folder also be used for exchange 5.5 in the same site? John Stimpson On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 22:16:19 -0500, "John Stimpson" <johnstimpson@tupperware.com> wrote: >Can a recipient policy created on 2003 to purge mail in the deleted items >folder also be used for exchange 5.5 in the same site? > >John Stimpson > I would say not. There is the Mailbox Manager feature in 5.5. Are you able to use that or did you just want something with a single interface? ...

Re: How to get all mails, even those for unknown recipient
Yes, good idea :) It is all i need (for example http://www.christensen-software.com/cscatchall.htm) But i wish those NDR are generated. To inform user that used address might be misstyped Is it posible to combine catchall mailbox with a ability of standard NDR generating? TIA Martin Blackstone - MVP wrote / napisal(a): > I think you are talking a Catch All mailbox. > Check this out > http://mostlyexchange.blogspot.com/2005/04/creating-catch-all-mailbox-in-exchange.html > > > "guzzi" <guzzi@_DOT_yandex.ru> wrote in message news:OoSFMGZhGHA.12...

Allow a user to log on as a service as well as a user
I'm doing a blackberry enterprise install and need to allow the admin user for the berry install to log on a service as well. How do i configure the user this way? He is already configured as a admin user. -- Trinidad You configure this (usually) under the Local Security Policy in User Rights. -- Jim McBee Blog - http://mostlyexchange.blogspot.com Directory Update - http://www.directory-update.com "nigel" <nigel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0202604E-5164-453F-B16C-FE7F97543FD4@microsoft.com... > I'm doing a blackberry enterprise install...

infratructure for 2500 users CRM
I am a Microsoft Partener from Romania and I would like to know how many CRM Servers is necesary for 2500 users. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=ae96447d...

Best book for learning MFC/VC 7.1 for developing rich GUI apps ?
Hi, I am a C/C++ developer of quite a few yesrs, although I am relatively new to Windows (Unix background). I am about to begin work on a project that would require me to develop several GUI rich frontend applications. I would like to hear from developers ou there if there is a book they would recommend, to help me hit the ground running - i.e. a book that is NOT an introductory text on programming/C++ but rather one that dives straight in and shows how to create front ends (possibly widgets etc) - using the VC IDE, one that covers all I need to know about MFC to start working on a re...

Media players opens and keeps trying to refresh about 5 times a mi
I have done numerous spyware chaecks all showing nothing detected I have eliminated any options in the media player that would have it trying to check for updates or web items. Completely at a loss and extremely unhappy the microsoft site does not have an answer. Acer Exyenza Laptop with Win XP , Office 07 and player 11 any help guys? in the time in took to type this meassage the player popped up three times Try disabling (unchecking) all active WMP plug-ins in WMP's Options. If you download and run Process Explorer - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb8...

Strange Error (CRM 1.2)
Hi, I have a Virtual PC configuration set up for CRM demos. I have one image that has CRM 1.2 under Windows 2003 server. It is all configured and setup and running fine. I have another image with Windows XP configured. The two images see each other and communicate. From my Windows XP image I can access CRM both via browser and Outlook Client. However, occassionally I can't access the system via Outlook and when I try it via the browser I get a screen coming up with "Sonic Wall" on it asking for a login and password. If I enter in "Administrator" for the login...

80070490 Error: Windows update encountered an unknown error 03-04-10
3 security updates will not complete (now 4). Error Code 80070490 02-Mar-10 I am unable to do these three security updates: KB970238(release date 6/9/09), KB97451(release date 10/13/09), KB954155(release date 10/13/09), & KB975517(release date 10/13/09). The last succesful update was KB9937286 on 2/27/2010 I have a Compaq Presario PC: SR5214X. OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vistaâ„¢ Home Basic Version 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002 OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation System Manufacturer Compaq-Presario System Model GV441AA-ABA SR5214X System Type X86-based PC ...

Listing Activesynce users
Is there a way to list the users who are actually using Activesync? I can get a list of all the devices but have not run across a method of seeing if they are actually sending and reciveing mail. Thanks. Jeff In news:Oi0wwKTaGHA.1204@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl, Jeff Senter <jsenter@erols.com> typed: > Is there a way to list the users who are actually using Activesync? I > can get a list of all the devices but have not run across a method of > seeing if they are actually sending and reciveing mail. > > Thanks. > > Jeff Check out http://www.microsoft.com/downloads...

trying to split a stock 1:4
When I were trying to split a stock using Money2000, Money2000 ended up telling me: "The stock split can not be completed due to a lack of disk space." But I still have 18G left on my hard disk. In microsoft.public.money, Wei wrote: >When I were trying to split a stock using Money2000, >Money2000 ended up telling me: "The stock split can not >be completed due to a lack of disk space." But I still >have 18G left on my hard disk. I would try booting into Safe Mode and see if you can do the split. I don't expect it to solve the problem, but it is ea...

Still recieving e-mail for deleted users
We are receiving e-mails for users that were been deleted from our server years ago. Does anyone know how to block these e-mails. We have a SPAM program that allows you to blacklist but it does not stop the messages from coming through. Create ea distribution list containing no members, but which has all the long-gone users' smtp addresses. This is called a blackhole DL. Exchange will accept the mail but silently drop it - no NDRs, no storage. -- hth, SusanV "RB" <pr@epley-pr.com> wrote in message news:574a01c40071$05a154a0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > We are receiving...

=?iso-8859-1?Q?You_don't_have_appropriate_permission_to_perform_this_oper?= =?iso-8859-1?Q?ation.?=
(Office XP Pro with 3rd Update and WINXP Pro) After clicking "Send and Receive," I get a red "X" error message "You don't have appropriate permission to perform this operation." The account tests OK under the Tools-Email Accounts tab feature. This account used to work perfectly. This error occurred some time ago now and I have never found a fix. I cannot associate it with any particular change with my system. WIN USER 1 - administrator account (Outlook works fine) WIN USER 2 - limited account (Outlook gives the above error but the email acct tests O...

.NET Framework 1.1 compatibility
Does anyone know when the CRM will support .NET Framework 1.1? I have VS.NET 2003 installed on my development machine. There doesn't seem to be a straightforward way of building a solution in 1.0 from the IDE. I guess I can use the command lines... Microsoft CRM v1.2 Frank Lee Workopia, Inc. http://www.workopia.com/Links.htm >> Other Microsoft CRM Online Forum Resources >-----Original Message----- >Does anyone know when the CRM will support .NET Framework 1.1? > >I have VS.NET 2003 installed on my development machine. There doesn't seem >to be a straig...

Outlook 2002 Calendar #5
how do I get national and Jewish holidays for 2006? http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/missinghol.htm and if you need more than are listed in the holiday list, see http://www.slipstick.com/calendar/holidays.htm for additional lists. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook new...

Exchange SVC Pack 1
DO NOT INSTALL. It crashed my server and caused the stores to unload and crash frequently. Now Microsoft want to sell me a hotfix. It was working b4 the svc pack upgrade so everyone beware!! Er, no, that's not the case at all. Exchange 2003 SP1 works perfectly fine for a large number of customers. If you, as a Microsoft customer have had an issue with the SP that requires a service pack, identified by Microsoft, then you will not be required to pay for it. If you have a KB that says you are to call MS for the fix then you may be required to give details but you won't be char...

Converting Adobe PageMaker 6.5 files
Does anyone know if you can convert Adobe PageMaker version 6.5 files so that I can use MS Publisher 2007 to edit these files? I suspect the only way is the copy/paste solution. If you don't have PageMaker, maybe Adobe has help. There is a forum here that might have a solution: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/460491;jsessionid=39FEE1914BD4E0C9DF28733ADF71F413.node0?tstart=0 -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "SmithinSA" <SmithinSA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5CCB0500-7E15-4EDC-BC04-775B41F13D8F@microsoft.com... > Does anyone know if you can ...

user profiles
i need to know all the details who sign me up and the time it was created and last visited. user profiles wrote: >i need to know all the details who sign me up and the time it was > created and last visited. Is this on OneNote? Could you pls explain a little bit what you are after? Rainald ...

User Entity
Hi, I was wondering how others keep the User records in CRM updated with the Active Directory information like phone numbers, etc. Has anyone written a Windows Script to take this action or are you using other methods? Thank you ...

Creating users via powershell
I am using the windows powershell cmdlets to set up new users automatically in AD 2003. I am particularly using the cmdlets from quest such get-qaduser and new-qaduser. To setup bulk number of users I have to setup a csv file and then import them into the script. The script is below: #Get-UserGroups.ps1 #sample CSV heading # "Name,Firstname,Lastname,SAMAccountname,Telephone,Office,Department,Title,City,Company" $file="C:\employees.csv" if ((Get-Item $file -ea "silentlycontinue" ).exists) { Import-Csv $file | ForEach-Object { ...

MS CRM 1.2 or 3.0 for Help Desk Ticketing solution
Does anyone use this for a Ticketing program? I know we have the customer service module but have never used it. Is there any documentation on how to set it up as a help desk solution. Thanks Todd Yes , U can surely do this by making a case and the case number can be considered a s Ticket number. You will have to dive deep into the whole process to map it to CRM Rgds SAM "Todd" wrote: > Does anyone use this for a Ticketing program? I know we have the customer > service module but have never used it. Is there any documentation on how to > set it up as a help desk ...

comparing 2 similar columns on seperate work sheets in 1 workbook
How can I compare a column from worksheet 1 to a column in worksheet 2 of the same work book? BTW, the cell my have a number or text in it but not formulas "Dan" wrote: > How can I compare a column from worksheet 1 to a column in worksheet 2 of the > same work book? What are you looking for? If you want to find out if each cell in Column A of sheet1 appears in column A of sheet2, you could use a helper column of formulas: =isnumber(match(a1,sheet2!a:a,0)) and drag down And you could use the same kind of formula that will tell you if values in sheet2 appear in sheet1. ...

How to switch users in Outlook
I am used to using Outlook Express on my old computer. My new computer has Outlook. There are two users in our family. How do we switch users so that we are not reading each other's mail in Outlook? Outlook Express has a "switch users" selection but Outlook does not. Outlook typically depends on different OS level user logins. What OS are you using? "Dennie" <Dennie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7C03B0A9-F2C7-4AFD-9300-F138A643346E@microsoft.com... >I am used to using Outlook Express on my old computer. My new computer has > Ou...

.NET Framework 1.1
I have Vista Home Basic. In the Control Panel\Programs and Features I find: Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SPI Microsoft Corporation Under Publisher there is nothing in the fist. Is it OK? Should I redownload it? Also, do I need both of them? Also, in Control Panel\Windows Update\View Update History, I see that Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 has failed, and was not tried again. Should I download it manually? Thanks, emf -- It ain't THAT, babe! - A radical reinterpretation https://files.nyu.edu/emf202/public/bd/itaintm...