50,000 msgs stuck in queue. HELP! (Exchange 2003)

Help
I got over 50,000 files in my smtp virtual server queue. I have been trying to use microsoft's method of removing the files but it is not working. (using the Find Messages tool System Manager, deleteing 1000 at a time) I think there are just too many messages and my server locks up everytime I start the SMTP virtual server. (the inetsrvr.exe memory goes up too high

Is there a manual way to remove all of these quickly? Can I delete the messages manually from the queue directory from the command line? If so should i stop smtp then delete them

(ps I might be open relay or maybe virus which I will check, but for now I just need to get this queue cleaned

0
anonymous (74722)

Do you see anything in \Program Files\Exchsrvr\Mailroot\vsi 1\Queue? You
will need to stop SMTP service before deleting those files.

AdminTom wrote:

> Help,
> I got over 50,000 files in my smtp virtual server queue. I have been trying to use microsoft's method of removing the files but it is not working. (using the Find Messages tool System Manager, deleteing 1000 at a time) I think there are just too many messages and my server locks up everytime I start the SMTP virtual server. (the inetsrvr.exe memory goes up too high)
>
> Is there a manual way to remove all of these quickly? Can I delete the messages manually from the queue directory from the command line? If so should i stop smtp then delete them?
>
> (ps I might be open relay or maybe virus which I will check, but for now I just need to get this queue cleaned)

0
kpalagin1 (1216)
4/12/2004 9:27:29 PM
Yes there are about 50,000 files in the  \Program Files\Exchsrvr\Mailroot\vsi 1\Queue dir

Is is safe to stop SMTP and then delete all thoes files in the queue folder? (Not the directory it self.)
0
anonymous (74722)
4/12/2004 10:06:04 PM
I have never tried that. Probably it is safe to delete them while server
is stopped.

AdminTom wrote:

> Yes there are about 50,000 files in the  \Program Files\Exchsrvr\Mailroot\vsi 1\Queue dir.
>
> Is is safe to stop SMTP and then delete all thoes files in the queue folder? (Not the directory it self.)
0
kpalagin1 (1216)
4/12/2004 11:36:53 PM
"AdminTom" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I got over 50,000 files in my smtp virtual server queue. I have been trying to use microsoft's method of removing the files but it is not working. (using the Find Messages tool System Manager, deleteing 1000 at a time) I think there are just too many messages and my server locks up everytime I start the SMTP virtual server. (the inetsrvr.exe memory goes up too high)
>
>Is there a manual way to remove all of these quickly? Can I delete the messages manually from the queue directory from the command line? If so should i stop smtp then delete them?
>
>(ps I might be open relay or maybe virus which I will check, but for now I just need to get this queue cleaned)

get a copy of the aqadmcli.exe too and delete the mesages in all the
queues in one shot:

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/pss/Tools/Exchange%20Support%20Tools/Aqadmcli/

run the thing from the command line. then enter:

setserver <servername>
delmsg flt=ALL

this will remove ALL messages, good or bad, from every queue.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
"Kirill S. Palagin" <kpalagin@nomail.phxint.please.ru> wrote:

>Do you see anything in \Program Files\Exchsrvr\Mailroot\vsi 1\Queue? You
>will need to stop SMTP service before deleting those files.

that may, or may not, get rid of the messages. the queue directoy is
only one of the places where messages are kept -- the other is the mdb
and stm files.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
"AdminTom" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Help,
> I got over 50,000 files in my smtp virtual server queue. I have been
trying to use microsoft's method of removing the files but it is not
working. (using the Find Messages tool System Manager, deleteing 1000 at a
time) I think there are just too many messages and my server locks up
everytime I start the SMTP virtual server. (the inetsrvr.exe memory goes up
too high)

> Is there a manual way to remove all of these quickly? Can I delete the
messages manually from the queue directory from the command line? If so
should i stop smtp then delete them?

> (ps I might be open relay or maybe virus which I will check, but for now I
just need to get this queue cleaned)

Will repeated cleaning of "vsi 1\Queue" eventually flush the queues?

aqadmcli is duly noted.

Rich Matheisen [MVP] wrote:

> "Kirill S. Palagin" <kpalagin@nomail.phxint.please.ru> wrote:
>

>>Do you see anything in \Program Files\Exchsrvr\Mailroot\vsi 1\Queue? You
>>will need to stop SMTP service before deleting those files.
>

> that may, or may not, get rid of the messages. the queue directoy is
> only one of the places where messages are kept -- the other is the mdb
> and stm files.

0
kpalagin1 (1216)
4/13/2004 2:24:38 AM
delmsg flt=ALL did not work. but delmsg flags=all did work

still have tons of junk in the queue thought
-----

     get a copy of the aqadmcli.exe too and delete the mesages in all th
     queues in one shot

     ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/pss/Tools/Exchange%20Support%20Tools/Aqadmcli

     run the thing from the command line. then enter

     setserver <servername
     delmsg flt=AL

     this will remove ALL messages, good or bad, from every queue

     --
     Rich Matheise
     MCSE+I, Exchange MV
     MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.ht

0
anonymous (74722)
4/13/2004 2:56:04 AM
"Kirill S. Palagin" <kpalagin@nomail.phxint.please.ru> wrote:

>Will repeated cleaning of "vsi 1\Queue" eventually flush the queues?

not always.

>aqadmcli is duly noted.

nice tool. the command syntax will make you crazy, though. :)

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
"some" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>delmsg flt=ALL did not work. but delmsg flags=all did work.

crap. sorry about the typo. 'flt' is the abbreviation for 'filter' in
the 'bnf' they use to describe the command syntax.

>still have tons of junk in the queue thought.

if there's a ton of junk in the database that hasn't been processed
you'll continue to get this stuff in the queues. if you haven't fixed
the reason for it being there in the first place you'll continue to
get it, too.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Distribution Files for MFC in VS .net 2003

RDP incoming not working on Server 2003
I have a server running Server 2003 Standard which has been running just fine for some time but this week a new problem has arisen. I cannot establish an RDP session with it, no remote system on its subnet can even make an initial RDP connection at all. On the server itself, I can RDP out to any PC on the subnet with no problem. I've also looked all through the Event Logs and there are no errors at all that have anything to do with this or at the times I've tried to connect from a remote PC. I checked over and over to make sure Remote Connections are allowed in My ...

Exchange 2000 DST Changes

Money 2005 #50
Trying to restore my date from old xp computer to new vista computer. Loaded program ok, set the path to new location, am logged on with admin rights, when i try o restore says cannot open file. Have not had this on other computers? Need ideas? Thx how did you transfer your *.mny file? If you used a CD or DVD your file becomes read only. You have to manually go into to Windows Explorer and change it back to read/write. -- Peace, BobJ "meg85" <meg85@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FDA84068-4797-4B43-B215-750D689F8F35@microsoft.com... > Trying to re...

Restoring Exchange 2000 cluster to "standard" Exchange 2000 Enterp
Hi all, At the moment we are creating a "full" test environment built from backup tapes from our live environment. DC's are all up and running. Our 2000 native forest exists out of a top domain and 2 child domains. All DC's are running 2000 SP3 as well as the Exchange servers. Exchange servers are located in the child domains. In one of the child domains which is NL.top.net we have an Exchange cluster, 2 nodes active/active eg. These would be EX01 and EX02 and running EX04 and EX05. Since we unfortunately do not have a SAN in our test site I will not be able to do a DR...

Exchange 2003 OWA #6
Exchange 2003 OWA I would appreciate if someone would be able to help me. When I'm trying to access Exchange 2003 Server via OWA, I'm getting error "The folder can't be displayed. You do not have permission to perform this action" We also running Microsoft ISA Server. Thanks ...

Exchange 5.5 to 2003 upgrade issue 3

An Outlook 2003 Problem

Sorting Attendee Lists in Outlook 2003
Is there any way to sort attendees by either name or attendee status in Outlook 2003? I don't know how Microsoft could be so oblivious to the need for this feature. You can't even click on the column headers to sort, let alone print out a list of people sorted by accept and decline. Microsoft's online help system recommends Alt + PrntScreen???? How archaic is that? Is there anyone out there that can help me??? Thanks! ...

NNTP move to Exchange?
Hi, I'm having a problem with getting a NNTP feed from a INND 2.2.1 server to Exchange 2003; are there any known issues here? Has anyone done this type of migration before? What issues did you encounter? It seems as if Exchange just wants to pull down a few of the groups (of which we have over 100 internal) and even with that, not even pull all of the messages in from those few groups (it usually gets a few hundred messages). I'm using the basic NNTP wizards but everything looks to be configured correctly. Thanks, Dan ...

Exchange Connector Wizard error

CRM 3 Exchange Router
Hello, My Exchange Router will not forward e-mail to the CRM Server. We are running CRM 3 with and Exchange 2000 server. Here is the error messages in the Event Log: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80040E0E): Bookmark is invalid. at ADODB.RecordsetClass.MoveNext() at Microsoft.Crm.Tools.ExchangeConnectorService.ExchangeSinkServiceCore.ProcessMailbox(ExchangeSinkServiceMailbox mailbox) at Microsoft.Crm.Tools.ExchangeConnectorService.ExchangeSinkServiceCore.ExecuteService() Microsoft.Crm.Tools.ExchangeConnectorService.ExchangeSinkServiceException: Verifying bef...

copy does not work in word 2003

OL2003 (Exchange) and OE6 running in the same PC
We are currently upgrading our OS from W98SE to WinXP. Our VP is using Netscape v4.67 with dial-up to access his personal email from the ISP and Novell Groupwise for his internal corporate email. With the new WinXP, he will be authenticate to Active Directory and using Exchange 2003 (Outlook 2003) for corporate email. (Yep, no more Groupwise!!) I want to move him away from Netscape to OE6 (built-in with XP pro). During my test in the lab, for some reasons I can't have OE6 and OL2003 running at the same time. (I can launch either one but not both at the same time) He wants OE6 as his...

Increasing the Exchange sp2 storage limit
As we all know by now sp2 for Exch2k3 increases the storage limit to 18GB and can be increased to as much as 75GB for the standard edition. Is this a valid modification supported by Microsoft or is it a registry hack? My concern is the release of an Windows update that would nullify the storage increase. Read the Release Notes for SP2, it's a valid modification but you need to insert a registry value to bump it from SP2's default to any size up to 75 Gb. (Some orgs may not want the store to get to that size, so being able to control it is a good thing, imo). -- Bharat Suneja M...

esm shows wrong exchange server version
I have an Exchange 2000 Installation with SP3 + Rollup package 870540-v2 + Hotfix MS05-021. Exchange System manager still shows Build 6249.4 SP3. Should ESM show a higher Build number ? Thanks for any replies. MC IIRC, ESM only shows SP4 on clustered servers that have the update applied to them. -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP For Exchange news, links, and tips, check: http://www.msexchangeblog.com "MC" <seaedsit@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OW%23lRuARFHA.3496@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... >I have an Exchange 2000 Installation with SP3 + Rollup package 870540-v2 + ...

Link and Embed in 2003
Using the Insert>Picture>From File comand we can use either the 'insert' or 'link to file' command to insert a picture. During our development we prefer to link pictures then when completed save the .ppt with all pictures embedded. 1. When pictures are in slides during design is it possible to tell if the picture is linked or embedded? 2. Is there a way to embed any/all linked pictures when the slide presentation is completed without going to each slide and reinserting the picture as 'insert' Cheers! -- Blumburg In article <07E6153F-5D...

How do I setup an SMTP gateway / smart host for Exchange 5.5 internet bound mail
My current setup has a Windows NT 4.0 Exchange 5.5 server setting on our company LAN behind a Microsoft ISA Server. The Exchange server's Internet Mail Connector binds to (I assume this is the proper terms) port 25 on the ISA server for inbound and outbound Internet Mail. Our company has finally upgraded to a new Cisco Pix Firewall which we are able to setup a DMZ on. The suggestion by our ISP is to setup an SMTP gateway in the DMZ and have our internal Exchange server send mail to it destined for the Internet. I am aware that most of the work for making the connections from the SMTP ...