3 remote delivery email addresses don't work

I have an Exchange 2000 server. Everything seems to work fine except that
three destinations, i.e.,  '@company.com' do not go through. After a long
time (sometimes the next day), we get a "Undeliverable: xxx", the following
address could not be reached. But if we send the same message out through a
POP3 mail account then everything is fine. This only happens on 3 specific
destinations (@company.com). When I check SMTP queues in the exchange server
I can see the messages stuck there.
0
RobertSo (6)

what's the full text of the NDR?  have you tried to send a test email from
your server to any of these domains via a telnet session?  sometimes you can
get more information that way...

--
Susan Conkey [MVP]

"Robert So" <RobertSo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have an Exchange 2000 server. Everything seems to work fine except that
> three destinations, i.e.,  '@company.com' do not go through. After a long
> time (sometimes the next day), we get a "Undeliverable: xxx", the
following
> address could not be reached. But if we send the same message out through
> POP3 mail account then everything is fine. This only happens on 3 specific
> destinations (@company.com). When I check SMTP queues in the exchange
server
> I can see the messages stuck there.

0
sconkey (3059)
10/19/2005 7:28:33 PM
Is your reverse DNS record set up correctly? I've seen this happen when
remote servers don't accept mail from servers that don't have a PTR record.
check www.dnsstuff.com to verify...

"Robert So" wrote:

> I have an Exchange 2000 server. Everything seems to work fine except that
> three destinations, i.e.,  '@company.com' do not go through. After a long
> time (sometimes the next day), we get a "Undeliverable: xxx", the following
> address could not be reached. But if we send the same message out through a
> POP3 mail account then everything is fine. This only happens on 3 specific
> destinations (@company.com). When I check SMTP queues in the exchange server
> I can see the messages stuck there.
0
Glen1 (157)
10/19/2005 7:34:03 PM
I checked ww.dnsstuff.com, found that my domain checks out fine (reverse DNS
lookup), but for the companies that I am having problems reaching, their
reverse dns lookup comes back with similar errors:
Answer:
209.97.198.189 PTR record: mail.spottedhorse.com. [TTL 3600s]
[A=209.97.198.190] *ERROR* A record does not point back to original IP.

So is the problem on my side or their side?

"Glen" wrote:

> Is your reverse DNS record set up correctly? I've seen this happen when
> remote servers don't accept mail from servers that don't have a PTR record.
> check www.dnsstuff.com to verify...
>
> "Robert So" wrote:
>
> > I have an Exchange 2000 server. Everything seems to work fine except that
> > three destinations, i.e.,  '@company.com' do not go through. After a long
> > time (sometimes the next day), we get a "Undeliverable: xxx", the following
> > address could not be reached. But if we send the same message out through a
> > POP3 mail account then everything is fine. This only happens on 3 specific
> > destinations (@company.com). When I check SMTP queues in the exchange server
> > I can see the messages stuck there.
0
RobertSo (6)
10/19/2005 8:57:03 PM
the lack of a reverse dns entry on their side should not inhibit your
sending mail to them...

--

> I checked ww.dnsstuff.com, found that my domain checks out fine (reverse
DNS
> lookup), but for the companies that I am having problems reaching, their
> reverse dns lookup comes back with similar errors:
> Answer:
> 209.97.198.189 PTR record: mail.spottedhorse.com. [TTL 3600s]
> [A=209.97.198.190] *ERROR* A record does not point back to original IP.
>
> So is the problem on my side or their side?
>
> "Glen" wrote:
>
> > Is your reverse DNS record set up correctly? I've seen this happen when
> > remote servers don't accept mail from servers that don't have a PTR
record.
> > check www.dnsstuff.com to verify...
> >
> > "Robert So" wrote:
> >
> > > I have an Exchange 2000 server. Everything seems to work fine except
that
> > > three destinations, i.e.,  '@company.com' do not go through. After a
long
> > > time (sometimes the next day), we get a "Undeliverable: xxx", the
following
> > > address could not be reached. But if we send the same message out
through a
> > > POP3 mail account then everything is fine. This only happens on 3
specific
> > > destinations (@company.com). When I check SMTP queues in the exchange
server
> > > I can see the messages stuck there.

0
sconkey (3059)
10/19/2005 9:07:02 PM
Susan, how do I send an email via a telnet session?

Below is the full text of the NDR:

            Could not deliver the message in the time limit specified.
Please retry or contact your administrator.

"Susan" wrote:

> the lack of a reverse dns entry on their side should not inhibit your
> sending mail to them...
>
> --
> Susan Conkey [MVP]
>

> "Robert So" <RobertSo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I checked ww.dnsstuff.com, found that my domain checks out fine (reverse
> DNS
> > lookup), but for the companies that I am having problems reaching, their
> > reverse dns lookup comes back with similar errors:
> > Answer:
> > 209.97.198.189 PTR record: mail.spottedhorse.com. [TTL 3600s]
> > [A=209.97.198.190] *ERROR* A record does not point back to original IP.
> >
> > So is the problem on my side or their side?
> >
> > "Glen" wrote:
> >
> > > Is your reverse DNS record set up correctly? I've seen this happen when
> > > remote servers don't accept mail from servers that don't have a PTR
> record.
> > > check www.dnsstuff.com to verify...

> that
> long
> following
> through a
> specific
> server

0
RobertSo (6)
10/19/2005 9:20:04 PM
> Susan, how do I send an email via a telnet session?

http://www.rdpslides.com/webresources/FAQ00035.htm

---
David L. West
http://www.deskoptional.com
0
nntp1 (63)
10/19/2005 9:37:46 PM
that doesn't tell much...did you try to send an email via a telnet session
from your server to theirs?  sometimes that will yield more info...

--

> Susan, how do I send an email via a telnet session?
>
> Below is the full text of the NDR:

10/19/2005 9:39:13 PM
sorry, I didn't see your question...David has provided a link...this is a
very useful test/troubleshooting tool...

--
Susan Conkey [MVP]

"Susan" <sconkey@mgmmirage.nospam.com> wrote in message
> that doesn't tell much...did you try to send an email via a telnet session
> from your server to theirs?  sometimes that will yield more info...
>
> --
> Susan Conkey [MVP]
>

> "Robert So" <RobertSo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Susan, how do I send an email via a telnet session?
> >
> > Below is the full text of the NDR:
> > Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

10/19/2005 9:44:16 PM
I tried a Telnet session but the remote servers will not let me in. I open a
command window, type telnet, then at the telnet prompt I type 'open arjae.com
on port 25'. it tries to connect and then i get the failure to connect
message.

Am I doing something wrong?

"Susan" wrote:

> sorry, I didn't see your question...David has provided a link...this is a
> very useful test/troubleshooting tool...
>
> --
> Susan Conkey [MVP]
>

> "Susan" <sconkey@mgmmirage.nospam.com> wrote in message
> > that doesn't tell much...did you try to send an email via a telnet session
> > from your server to theirs?  sometimes that will yield more info...
> >
> > --
> > Susan Conkey [MVP]
> >

> > "Robert So" <RobertSo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Susan, how do I send an email via a telnet session?
> > >
> > > Below is the full text of the NDR:
> > > Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

10/19/2005 9:57:08 PM
Have you checked using other means that the domains are valid and their
mailservers are working?
Sending email to them by telent (by hand as it were) is a good way as
already suggested, but if you really are not happy with doing that then a
rough and ready version of the same technique (but scripted for you) is used
by this site:
www.zmailer.org
choose the "MXVerify" tool which takes you to www.zmailer.org/mxverify.

Aside:
I also use this site to check DNS records after any changes - as it is based
in Finland I figure it is a reasonable bet that if they get the correct new
records then this has propagated reasonably well, certainly enough for me to
assume that _most_ of the UK will have the new records. (I always drop the
TTL time a while before making the changes as well, then bring them back up
afterwards).

"Robert So" wrote:

> I have an Exchange 2000 server. Everything seems to work fine except that
> three destinations, i.e.,  '@company.com' do not go through. After a long
> time (sometimes the next day), we get a "Undeliverable: xxx", the following
> address could not be reached. But if we send the same message out through a
> POP3 mail account then everything is fine. This only happens on 3 specific
> destinations (@company.com). When I check SMTP queues in the exchange server
> I can see the messages stuck there.
0
AVero (5)
10/19/2005 10:02:01 PM
the first thing you type should be:

telnet 72.11.117.246 25

then go on with the rest of the commands...

--

> I tried a Telnet session but the remote servers will not let me in. I open
> command window, type telnet, then at the telnet prompt I type 'open
arjae.com
> on port 25'. it tries to connect and then i get the failure to connect
> message.
>
> Am I doing something wrong?
>
> "Susan" wrote:
>
> > sorry, I didn't see your question...David has provided a link...this is
> > very useful test/troubleshooting tool...
> >
> > --
> > Susan Conkey [MVP]
> >

> > "Susan" <sconkey@mgmmirage.nospam.com> wrote in message
> > > that doesn't tell much...did you try to send an email via a telnet
session
> > > from your server to theirs?  sometimes that will yield more info...
> > >
> > > --
> > > Susan Conkey [MVP]
> > >

> > > "Robert So" <RobertSo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

10/19/2005 10:06:44 PM
So!, got the script to work. I connected and sent a test email. The person at
arjae.com got the email and replied. no errors.

I also checked the zmailer.org website as suggested by avero, and it too
comes back OK for both my exchange server and arjae's.

"Susan" wrote:

> the first thing you type should be:
>
> telnet 72.11.117.246 25
>
> then go on with the rest of the commands...
>
> --
> Susan Conkey [MVP]
>

> "Robert So" <RobertSo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I tried a Telnet session but the remote servers will not let me in. I open
> > command window, type telnet, then at the telnet prompt I type 'open
> arjae.com
> > on port 25'. it tries to connect and then i get the failure to connect
> > message.
> >
> > Am I doing something wrong?
> >
> > "Susan" wrote:
> >
> > > sorry, I didn't see your question...David has provided a link...this is
> > > very useful test/troubleshooting tool...
> > >
> > > --
> > > Susan Conkey [MVP]
> > >

> > > "Susan" <sconkey@mgmmirage.nospam.com> wrote in message
> session

10/19/2005 10:41:03 PM
when you did the telnet, did you do it from your Exchange server, or the
server that sends out  your Internet email?  because if that worked, you
should be able to send them email from Outlook...how does all your Internet
email go out?

--

> So!, got the script to work. I connected and sent a test email. The person
at
> arjae.com got the email and replied. no errors.
>
> I also checked the zmailer.org website as suggested by avero, and it too
> comes back OK for both my exchange server and arjae's.
>
> "Susan" wrote:
>
> > the first thing you type should be:
> >
> > telnet 72.11.117.246 25
> >
> > then go on with the rest of the commands...
> >
> > --
> > Susan Conkey [MVP]
> >

> > "Robert So" <RobertSo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I tried a Telnet session but the remote servers will not let me in. I
open
> > > command window, type telnet, then at the telnet prompt I type 'open
> > arjae.com
> > > on port 25'. it tries to connect and then i get the failure to connect
> > > message.

> > session

Excel file e mail addresses into address group list
I want to take the .csv file from excel into my outlook express address book then copy addresses (select members) into a group list. Then I want to keep that address in the group list, but erase from the address book. Hi Jack, First back up your Windows Address Book ( .WAB) Export your address book to a .csv format so that you are sure you have the formatting correct (all the fields). When you import your .csv file to the address book, you must add one more column to your Excel file and fill it with a single blank. This will generate the need comma at the end of each row -- fail...

Mail Delivery in Outlook 2003
We are currently using Exchange 2003 and Outlook 2003 mail client. One of our ask us to configure his Outlook client to delivery his mail to a pst file local to his machine, instead of leaving it in the server. This configuration workrd for a while and it suddenly stopped delivering his mail to his pst file, but just leaving them in the mail server. To make Outlook deliver his mail again to his pst file we need to enable the " Cached Exchange Mode" and configure Outlook to manually connect to Exchange. When we change the configuration back to its original state it will continue to...

Reply To CRM emails not capture
Ok here's the scenario Step A - send out an email using SFO's CRM email - recipient gets email message - CRM creates email activity in History Step B - recipient sends back a reply from message - email comes into SFO/inbox (yes GUID number is in subject line) - CRM creates email activity in History Step C - send back a reply to recipient using "reply" in Outlook (it works if I go into CRM, serach for activity and use reply in web pages) - email is sent to recipient - NO activity is created (even though message threat was created originally in CRM and it still has trackin...

LookUp Function #3
Hello! I'm running Excel XP and trying to figure how to run vlookup from tw colums. The form is for working out the next standard size up. Enter number i A and a number in B and in C it pulls thro the code from 'datarange where A is more then or Equals 'datarange coloum A' AND B is more the or Equals 'datarange coloum B' Any Ideas. Please find attached JPG. Hope i've explained enough. Thanks Ala +---------------------------------------------------------------- | Attachment filename: excel1.jpg |Download attachment: ...

I switched from IMAP to POP 3, Delete in tool bar greyed out?
Also on the advanced tool bar it still gives the options in the current view as IMAP options although I deleted the IMAP account and added the POP 3 account and that is the only account on Outlook? Any ideas? Thank you for you help. PS I even deleted the POP 3 account and re entered it with same results. ...

How to add Yahoo Email POP?
Dear All, I have installed Window Live Mail via MSN. I would like to add Yahoo POP email account? I tried using the below configuration which I can find in Yahoo Help. But whenever I pressed the Sync button, it prompts me the below errors. Pls help. CONFIGURATION =========== POP Yahoo! Mail with Another Email Client ============================= Want to use another email program to send and receive Yahoo! Mail messages? If so, you'll be asked to designate a new incoming (POP3) mail server and a new outgoing (SMTP) mail server. Here are the basic server settings for Yahoo...

Code to read email from Outlook
Anyone have code to read incoming email messages from ONE email address, or experience with the functionality in Access2007 to do this process. I have an upcoming project that will require this and I haven't looked into this area. Example: emails that are sent to support@blah.com are added to a table in the database (everytime the user presses a button or a timer starts a process). The "body" of the email goes into one field and the "from" email address goes into another field. Thanks, Mark ...

How to upgrade from CRM 3 to 4 with CRM 3 to GP 9 connector in pla
I currently have an environment with CRM 3.0 and the integration connector to GP 9.0. I'd like to upgrade from CRM 3.0 to 4.0 in-place. Is there anything special I need to do to keep the CRM to GP connector working after the upgrade? There's no custom code or custom workflows as part of the CRM/GP integration, just a vanilla install. Thanks! Hi Bill, I am sorry to say that currently no connector available for GP with CRM version 4.0 from Microsoft. Neither the existing connector works with version 4.0. You may have to migrate to any of the 3rd party vendors such as Scribe. If ...

Error: A program is trying to access email addresses you have stored in outlook.
Getting the above error when attempting to sync with palm vx. 'Use to work' okay. Recently restored laptop (Dell) from Dell cd, windows 2000 pro, outlook 2000. Reinstalled Palm hot sync software, but now getting the above message. Choosing YES, handheld sync's okay. Complete message is: __________________________________________ A program is trying to access e-mail address you have stored in Outlook. Do you want to allow this? If this is unexpected, it may be a virus and you should choose "no". ________________________________________________________ Machine i...

Transferring Order with attached POs -- not working
When we attach a PO to an SO and then receive and post it, it doesn't transfer to an invoice. We get a report which says "0 transferred successfully" & "0 errors". I can't figure out what the problem is. Anyone have any thoughts? Ted Is the item being allocated and fulfilled on the order? "Ted Doolittle" wrote: > When we attach a PO to an SO and then receive and post it, it doesn't > transfer to an invoice. We get a report which says "0 transferred > successfully" & "0 errors". I can't figure out what ...

Forwarding Messages #3
When I forward a message out of my sent items box I lose the text of the message. The message is still there and tells me of the action on the top. How do I retain the text of the message also. Nathan ...

addtional suffix being added to e-mail address
We hook up a new worker (he has Outlook 2003) onto Exchange 2003. He cannot send e-mails due to the server adding an additional suffix to his e-mail address. He is the only one who has this problem. Is there a way to correct this situation. Hi - so he's connecting directly to your Exchange server via Outlook, and he has a properly configured mailbox with the appropriate default SMTP address? What is the additional suffix that's being added? BCEDA wrote: > We hook up a new worker (he has Outlook 2003) onto Exchange 2003. He > cannot send e-mails due to the server adding an a...

Accuracy of money fields in CRM 3.0
Hi, does anybody know how to change the accuracy of money fields in crm 3.0? Unfortunatly I cannot change the build in money fields precision. It is limited to two digits. New money fields can have a precision up to five digits but that will not work in my scenario. Any suggestions? J�rg Hi Jörg, Can you tell me exactly which field's precision you want to change? I could change the precision of some existing fields through: Customization -> <<entity name>> -> Attributes -> <<select the attribute>> -> Precision picklist. You can have up...

Querying Messages Addressed to a Domain
Dumb Question: We have a single Exchange 2003 server receiving e-mail messages addressed to domain1.com, domain2.com, and domain3.com. We'd like to turn off domain1.com, but want to make sure messages aren't being addressed to that domain even though it's not the primary in the recipient policy. How do I search the information store for any inbound messages addressed to this domain? Can I do it on the fly over the past say 6 months or does some type of logging need to have been enabled? Thanks, Message Tracking would need to be enabled, or SMTP Protocol logging (the la...

New users loose SMTP address
Scenario: W2k3, Exhange2k3 2 domain servers create a user on either domain controller, add the smtp address we want (from a large list), come back a few minutes later and the address will change to the system default. Notes; we dont run the smtp recipient policies as such - just a general one with all our smtp address suffixes, this problem only occurs on every four/five accounts created. At first we thought it was the individual support person, then blamed his PC, his MMC connection, now Tech servoces have found it occurrs to anyone creating large numbers of users. Thought it could be...

Duplicate email from POP3
We use Exchange2003 on a windows 2000 server and use Outlook 2003 as the POP3 client. We do notuse MAPI to connect to the Exchange server. Recently, one of the employees receives the same email twiceat the same time. Are there guide line for trouble shooting? Open Received: headers of those messages and compare times. Hop, after times start to differ, will be the one that duplicated message. "news.microsoft.com" wrote: > We use Exchange2003 on a windows 2000 server and use Outlook 2003 as the > POP3 client. We do notuse MAPI to connect to the Exchange server. Recently,...

New Email addresses
I am looking for a way to change all of my users email addresses to use one standard naming convention. Currently we have a wide mix of formats. I would like to settle on firstname.lastname@domain.com Is there a tool or utility that I can use to force a change and make the new ones the default address as well as keeping the original address. thanks LDIFDE will do this. You could also add the new address to your recipient policy and force it to run, but that might have side effects you don't like. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!...

Disable Fax choice in Email
When I compose and email I like to just type the persons name and move on. If it is an infrequent contact and I have a Fax number for them Outlook asks if I want to use that or the email. Is there a way to disable the fax choice when sending emails? Jeff I think if you add alphabetic characters to their fax number (like FAX) it'll remove it as a choice "orbojeff" <jeff.callahan@orbograph.com> wrote in message news:1126803312.620431.139920@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > When I compose and email I like to just type the persons name and move > on. > If it is ...

Some emails do not pop from my gmail account
I am using Total Access Emailer to send email messages. It uses a local smtp server on my computer. I am sending test messages to my gmail accounts, some of the mails are then being pop'd to my outlook 2007, but others are not. For example, I sent 3 examples of one mail & report - all 3 arrived in my gmail webmail account, and all 3 pop'd to outlook I then sent 3 examples of another report - all 3 arrived in my gmail webmail account, only 1 pop'd to outlook I then sent 3 examples of the third report - all 3 arrived in my gmail webmail account, non pop'd to o...

Cannot get email users email to go to isp email. It goes to exchange server instead.
We are using SBS2003 with EXCH2003. We have branch offices. If I put the branch office in SBS2003 as a user and send an email to the user (i.e. user@user.com) it ends up on the server and never gets sent to the branch office user. I'm using the pop3 connector to connect to our mail provider to send and receive mail. I was wondering if there's a way to bypass the server and have the email go directly to the user at our providers server. The reason why I put the branch office user on the server so that we can have the user in our Global Access List when do a mass email. Please advise. ...

emails being lost
Hi we run an SBS2003 server with exchange. We also have GFI Mail essentials One student is sending us an email with an attachments. I can see that GFI are receiving the email and processing it OK if I then look at Exchange Tools > Message Tracking Centre, I can see the email. there are 5 entries: SMTP: Message submitted to advanced queue SMTP: Started message submission to advanced queue SMTP: Message submitted to catagorizer SMTP: Message catagorized and queued for routing SMTP: Non-delivery report generated. Can some tell me what is happening please? This student can send messag...

Microsoft Word Interface Not Registered Error after Sending Email from Outlook
Hi, Does anyone know how to fix the following error message. After I try sending an email from Outlook, I get a error message that reads: "Microsoft Word Interface not Registered". Thanks, Art ...

User access via remote desktop
I have a situation where if I set a new user up from a local client, they only can access GP via their local client - they get a login error if trying to login via remote desktop. Likewise, if I log into the server remotely and set up a new user, they can login to GP remotely but not from their local client. Any ideas why this would occur? Thx, Frank Hamelly, MCP NOVA Solutions LLC Melbourne, FL Do you have any profiles that would be affecting where a user is using files? I've seen this issue where one user's profile was different than other users'. -- Charles Allen, MVP ...

working with default data files
I am using IMAP and I would like to config outlook to bring all my emai to the default "personal folders" or delete that folder. Is tha possible -- g.garrett ----------------------------------------------------------------------- g.garrette's Profile: http://www.officehelp.in/member.php?userid=491 View this thread: http://www.officehelp.in/showthread.php?t=124989 Posted from - http://www.officehelp.i g.garrette <g.garrette.2gnhe4@NoSpamPleaze.com> wrote: > I am using IMAP and I would like to config outlook to bring all my > email to the default "personal fo...

How can you tell "To" address used for spam?
I have a few exchange email addresses on my account. Spam level is to the point that I want to delete the affected account. How can I tell which address is being used? Nick You mean you have multiple addresses for the same mailbox? The easiest way to pin-point the address would be the create multiple mailboxes for these addresses. Emails will get sorted for you automatically. -- Alexander Zammit WinDeveloper Software IMF Tune - Unleash the Full Intelligent Message Filter Power http://www.windeveloper.com/imftune/ "Nick" <nickmirro@spamarrest.com> wrote in message...