2 Exchange servers how does mail get to them

Hi

I have just added a second exchange 2003 server to my organisation.

At the moment there is 1 MX record for the original server.

What is the best way to get mail to the second server?

Leave the MX record and let exchange pass the email between servers
or set a second MX record and let them both pass email between them for mailboxes on the other server?

Any advice would be appreciated.

huffnpuff (4)

Leave the MX record as it is and let Exchange route mail to the appropriate mailbox. This simplifies your gateway anti-virus/anti-spam & firewall solution as there is only one point of mail entry into your organisation.

Another consideration would be to use equally preferential MX records for the domain to load balance, or two MX records with one having a lower preference value to allow for redundancy. These descisions though depend on your network setup.

--

Ian

"huff-n-puff" wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have just added a second exchange 2003 server to my organisation.
>
> At the moment there is 1 MX record for the original server.
>
> What is the best way to get mail to the second server?
>
> Leave the MX record and let exchange pass the email between servers
> or set a second MX record and let them both pass email between them for mailboxes on the other server?
>
> Any advice would be appreciated.

ianm (7)

Steps in Exchange 2000 to change domain name?
We have an existing domain name (company.com). We have decided to change our name to newcompany.com. Right now the users are user@company.com and we want it to be user@newcompany.com. What do I need to do to change that in Exchange? I have made the necessary DNS changes (or so I believe). Thank you!!! Douglas Just add newcompany.com to your recipient policy & make it the default...best not to remove your existing company.com addresses as it may help during the transition to let users receive mail for both addresses. See http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/MF010.html for help. ; ...

Voice connector on Exchange server 2007.

POST or GET?

Reporting from Project Server

More Columns #2

Linking files 2 ways

Reading SQL Server Extended Properties

Goal Seek #2

get a result of an sql into a field

Offline Synchronization Problem #2

Filters not working in Exchange 2003

Contacts in Exchange #2

Are Exchange 2003 OWA Backups necessary

OE autodelete OLD mail

Terminal Server and GP Settings
Not being a Windows Terminal Server expert by any definition, I have a question for somebody who is. When wanting to have a user profile to store individual dex.ini files, my understanding is that each user would have his own Windows folder under their user folder. Additionally, if you typed SET at a command prompt, the settings for WINDIR would point to that user-specific Windows folder. Is this thinking correct? -- Charles Allen, MVP I think you also have to make certain that the dex.ini does NOT exist in the program install location for GP or it will still look to that. Dwight...

will CRM load on a 2003 server?

outlook 2007 e-mail