"You are over the size limit allowed on the server"

We have an Exchange 2003 server with IMF implemented. Our users are primarily
using Outlook Web Clients. A couple months back, several of our users started
being unable to manage their Junk Email lists. Some were unable to even turn
it on and off through Options, but all were getting this error, at various
stages:

"An error occurred processing your Junk Email lists. You are over the size
limit allowed on the server. Contact your server administrator"

None of these users has more than 10-12 blocked senders in their entire
list. I have doubled the default amount of space each user has for Junk Email
lists just as a shot in the dark, but this hasn't resolved the problem.

We ended up having to delete and recreated the mailboxes in question, a
major pain in the butt, but it fixed the problem....but only temporarily. Now
it's back, and we're stuck. People are getting this error when they try to
add an email to the Blocked Senders list, or when they try and add one to the
Safe Sender's list.

I tried looking through the forum for previous answers, but wasn't finding
anything specific to what seems to be happening here, so pardon me if this
has been asked and answered.

I truly appreciate any assistance anyone can offer....
0
JeffHardy (2)

First a nasty question,

Which Exchange 2003 servers (FE-BE?) with which Service pack(s)?

With OWAadmin (http://www.microsoft.com/exchange) you can also set some more
options, check if this helps or reveals the problems:

------
      Junk E-mail Handling

            Use this page to change the behavior of Outlook Web Access Junk
E-mail Handling.

            Maximum Junk E-mail Contact Addresses

            This setting defines the maximum number of contact e-mail
addresses allowed in the Junk e-mail rule. The default value is 10000 and
the maximum value is 65536.

            Maximum Contact Addresses:

            Required
            Enter an integer between 1 and 65536
            Maximum Blocked Junk E-mail Senders

            This setting defines the maximum number of junk e-mail senders
allowed in the Junk e-mail rule. The default value is 1024 and the maximum
value is 65536.
            Maximum Blocked Senders:

            Required
            Enter an integer between 1 and 65536
            Maximum Junk E-mail Safe Recipients

            This setting defines the number of safe recipients allowed in
the Junk e-mail rule. The default value is 1024 and the maximum value is
65536.
            Maximum Safe Recipients:

            Required
            Enter an integer between 1 and 65536
            Maximum Junk E-mail Safe Senders

            This setting defines the maximum number of safe sender e-mail
addresses allowed in the Junk e-mail rule. The default value is 1024 and the
maximum value is 65536.
            Maximum Safe Senders:

            Required
            Enter an integer between 1 and 65536
            Advanced Junk E-mail Support

            Enabling this feature allows your users to issue a URL to their
mailbox in the form "mailbox/?cmd=junkemailreport". They will get back the
full contents of the lists (Safe Senders, Safe Recipients, Blocked Senders
and Contacts).

            Example: http://server/exchange/user1/?cmd=junkemailreport

                  Enable Advanced Junk E-mail Support?

                    Yes
                    No (default)

------

--

Regards,

Menko den Ouden
MCSE+I Netherlands

"Jeff Hardy" <JeffHardy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have an Exchange 2003 server with IMF implemented. Our users are
> primarily
> using Outlook Web Clients. A couple months back, several of our users
> started
> being unable to manage their Junk Email lists. Some were unable to even
> turn
> it on and off through Options, but all were getting this error, at various
> stages:
>
> "An error occurred processing your Junk Email lists. You are over the size
> limit allowed on the server. Contact your server administrator"
>
> None of these users has more than 10-12 blocked senders in their entire
> list. I have doubled the default amount of space each user has for Junk
> Email
> lists just as a shot in the dark, but this hasn't resolved the problem.
>
> We ended up having to delete and recreated the mailboxes in question, a
> major pain in the butt, but it fixed the problem....but only temporarily.
> Now
> it's back, and we're stuck. People are getting this error when they try to
> add an email to the Blocked Senders list, or when they try and add one to
> the
> Safe Sender's list.
>
> I tried looking through the forum for previous answers, but wasn't finding
> anything specific to what seems to be happening here, so pardon me if this
> has been asked and answered.
>
> I truly appreciate any assistance anyone can offer....

0
menko1 (53)
3/19/2006 4:13:31 PM
Our Exchange environment was installed by consultants, who haven't been able
to figure this out either.  I'm aware of the OWA Admin tool, and have
increased all the settings you were talking about to 50,000 from their
defaults. This has not resolved the problem, and only a few users are getting
this message -- not all of them.

I'm embarrassed  to say....I don't know which version we're running or which
Service Packs are installed. What's the easiest way to find that out?