I have setup a number of user accounts and the relative mailboxes without
any problem.
However, since this afternoon, if I try and connect to a newly mailbox
through the email accounts wizard I get the following error message: "The
connection to the Exchange server is unavailable. Outlook must be online or
connected to complete this action".
This also occurs when I go to File>Open>Other User's Folder... and I try and
lookup an existing account/mailbox that I know I have permission to.

I know Outlook is connected to the Exchange server (I can ping, send and
receive emails) ....

Any idea?

Many thanks in advance

Alex

0
ap

Hi Alex,

Had you recently applied some patches to the server. Notably the following:
KB834707-IE6SP1
KB841356
KB840987
KB841533

If so one of these maybe the cause. If you are using outlook 2003, try a
client that has outlook 2000. It is something to do with authentication
protocols used by outlook 2003. Try uninstalling the patches one by one.

If I'm barking up the wrong tree here, also check your wins/dns for domain
controller and domain entries. check they all exist and are correct. Make
sure that you have no old servers that dont exist in there. Most importantly
make sure your mail servers are registered in wins/dns. Remember also to
check lmhosts file on server and client if you have ammended it at any time.

Hope it all works out for you,

Regards,

Steve

"ap" <a@b.c> wrote in message news:41a175c0$1_1@news.iprimus.com.au...
> I have setup a number of user accounts and the relative mailboxes without
> any problem.
> However, since this afternoon, if I try and connect to a newly mailbox
> through the email accounts wizard I get the following error message: "The
> connection to the Exchange server is unavailable. Outlook must be online
or
> connected to complete this action".
> This also occurs when I go to File>Open>Other User's Folder... and I try
and
> lookup an existing account/mailbox that I know I have permission to.
>
> I know Outlook is connected to the Exchange server (I can ping, send and
> receive emails) ....
>
> Any idea?
>
> Many thanks in advance
>
> Alex

I had this error while I was testing exchange and our migration from 5.5.
Unfortunately, I never did find a solution (though from google it seems
others have had this issue as well).  I ran across a Q article on the MS
site stating do not install Outlook on an Exchange server, that particular
setup isn't support and can cause mapi errors.

As it turned out, I had done just that for our testing procedure, and I
attributed the problem to outlook being on the 2003 server as well
(something I definitely did not plan to do on our production box).  Despite
that error with Outlook, all mail seemed fine, I could access everything via
OWA, IMAP etc. no errors in the event logs.

In my particular case, this problem cropped up after I did a restore of a
storage group for testing.  Prior to that it was fine, not sure why it
gimped up after that.

tsc

"Steve" <steve.adkin@foxit.net> wrote in message
> Hi Alex,
>
> Had you recently applied some patches to the server. Notably the
> following:
> KB834707-IE6SP1
> KB841356
> KB840987
> KB841533
>
> If so one of these maybe the cause. If you are using outlook 2003, try a
> client that has outlook 2000. It is something to do with authentication
> protocols used by outlook 2003. Try uninstalling the patches one by one.

Further Note,

If removing the patches doesnt work then re-install the Exchange 5.5 Servcie
Pack 4.

Steve